Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was This Elephant Gay?

Looking back on this as an adult, I now have a sneaky suspicion that he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 10:53 AM

Juanita Merrick, the transgender elephant queen.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 5:16 PM

Short answer -yes. Longer answer - it’s a cultural reference to a trope that has been lost over time.

See - Comedian Joe Besser; and the stock character of The Nance in early 20th century comedy - Burlesque / Radio / Film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 5:54 PM

Companion article to review of The Nance play discusses the history of the stock character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 6:07 PM

The Goofy Gophers I think were definitely gay, and polite. My favorite line in one of the cartoons is when one gopher throws some wood shavings on his head and does a little drag act, the other gopher slaps him and says "There's a time and place for everything."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 6:35 PM

You can spot that elephant’s gayness from space! Tooty fruity!

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 6:48 PM

Have you ever seen an elephant’s penis before? If you were an elephant, you’d be gay too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 7:01 PM

Gayer than Juan Gabriel doing the coochie coochie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 7:24 PM

I've always had suspicions about Chip and Dale, Pixie and Dixie, and most of all Yogi and Boo Boo, who shared the same bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 7:42 PM

The elephant voice is Mel Blanc as he would do Daffy Duck.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 7:48 PM

R2, great citation. That website is a goldmine of show biz history.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 7:51 PM

Unclear from r2’s article what the connection is between the “I’ll give you such a pinch” meme and Joe Besser. Was it a catch phrase of his?

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 8:04 PM

It was, but it was also his voice. When Besser played the little sissy that was something he'd say. (Looked for a YouTube citation but haven't found one yet.). This link embodies it. Go to 17:29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 8:49 PM

So much of Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Bugs Bunny, and all rest of Warner Bros cartoons were heavily influenced by vaudeville. Various skits, gags like Bugs in drag, etc.. and more were directly out of that genre. Of course many comedy actors in Warner Bros studio system lot got their start in Vaudeville, so there's another connection.

What might seen corny today was funny and fresh right through post war years.

Recognize these two kitties?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 10:37 AM

Spoofing Carmen Miranda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 10:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!