Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you obsessed with getting the vaccine?

I have a friend who literally talks of nothing else

by Anonymousreply 97March 9, 2021 12:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Hi "Sis!

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 12:33 PM

Yes. Got a link?

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 12:35 PM

I am the opposite. As a Canadian, I know that I will never get it. Or, if I do get it, it will be a less effective brand that I don’t want. I have basically given up.

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 12:40 PM

Every brand that I've heard discussed prevents severe disease, hospitalization, and death. So I would happily take any of them that are approved - Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, J&J, the Russian and Chinese - they all seem to work. The non-DNA types are based on very old but "tried and true" technologies that we know work (at least to prevent severe disease - and probably to prevent "long haul" covid).

So please reconsider!

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 12:43 PM

R3, you'll get it by September!

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote]I am the opposite. As a Canadian, I know that I will never get it. Or, if I do get it, it will be a less effective brand that I don’t want. I have basically given up.

The only vaccines I'd be hesitant about taking would be the Russian and Chinese ones. Both countries are so fundamentally dishonest I really wouldn't trust their efficacy studies until they're verified by Western countries.

But the American/European ones are all safe and will make their way to Canada eventually.

BTW how long before the AstraZeneca Oxford vaccine troll turns up to warn people how unsafe it is and how Boris Johnson us trying to kill everyone.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 12:56 PM

If anything, the vaccines with the older technology are more tested -- the new mRNA or whatever, something may turn out years down the road, as far as side effects, that we haven't had time to find out about it.

That said, I've already had Pfizer (I'm 65) and was delighted to get it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 12:56 PM

I drove over 160 miles each way, twice, to receive the two Moderna shots. The last one received the prior week. I am glad I did. Locally, distributions and eligibilities, have been too far behind with cancellations and long waiting.

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 12:59 PM

No, I wasn't obsessed. I did sign up with every concern in my area that had a waiting list I could get on months back. And then I was happy to wait for my turn. Luckily one of them called and I got my first dose 3 weeks ago and go for my 2nd dose next Tuesday. There are a few (very few actually) good things about being old (I'm 67), and getting access to the vaccine when I did is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 12:59 PM

I live in Chicago and I am in group 1C, but they are still on group 1B and there has been absolutely no talk of moving onto my group, it seems like it will probably be months until I can get the shot. Just starting to get depressed about not being able to be around anyone or even seen anyone in my family for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 1:32 PM

I'm not eligible yet, but I'm on a wait list.

I'll be lucky if I get it by October.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 1:33 PM

I was fine with waiting until my HMO got enough supply to reach my priority category (not a health care worker, over 65 but under 75) and they've just notified me that I can come in next week. I'll be glad to get it done without a lot of hassle, but sorry to lose my good excuse for not socializing -- I'm not telling anyone except DL for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 1:36 PM

The vaccine supply is radically increasing over the next couple of months. At least in America by summer everyone who wants a vaccine will have gotten one.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 1:36 PM

I will turn 69 in April and I have no interest in receiving any of the COVID-19 vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 1:42 PM

No. Especially as I have like 3rdish hand account of how progress is going with Moderna.

I'm 31 and while I have concerns, I'm not officially part of a risk group.

My partner has been in contact with a positive person and so is isolating, and I'm upping my distancing until we (especially him) gets a negative result. He has family, especially in his home country, that is getting sick and dying (extended family, the oldest ones). We are not concerned about vaccines outside of the sped up process. We will both take them when available.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 1:48 PM

I'm not obsessed but I'm starting to get antsy. Some people in our friends group have gotten theirs and they're starting to talk about get-togethers at each other's houses. My husband and I are in our thirties with no health risks & we don't work in a public-facing job so we're way down the list.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

I've had both vaccines, so I'm set. But, I was obsessing before I got the first one.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 6:27 PM

My doctors told me despite several conditions that you'd think warrant prioritized vaccine scheduling, none of the conditions are bad enough to actually push me up the list. Undeterred, Hubby signed us up and has procured appointments for our first doses this week. I'm not holding my breath since the state (CA) has not opened it up to our age group generally, but you can tell by comments we hear and mostly read that the supply of vaccine is starting to ease up.

I can't help but say it: it's so nice that we have adults in charge again. It's been less than 6 weeks and we've gone from under 10 million immunized to over 68 million despite there being no plan prior to January 20, a botched supply chain for everything else needed, and a sharply divided nation in which one side won't wear 6 square inches of fabric on their faces in order to protect their own families and friends, let alone out of respect for fellow citizens. Things are looking up.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 6:39 PM

I'm trying to get an appointment for my first dose but so far no luck. Every place giving out the vaccine is fully booked, so at this point I'll probably be waiting until summer, if not fall. Oh, well, it's okay -- I don't work with the public and isolated here at home by myself most of the time, so I'll just continue waiting my turn.

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 8:39 PM

Yes, most of my friends have already received their first dose. I registered here in Manhattan and my parents in CT. have me listed as a Family Member. I really have a preference but now is not the time to be choosy and must accept whatever vaccine is available.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 8:48 PM

I wasn't obsessed at all. But I had a somewhat unexpected opportunity to get it sooner than possible, and I jumped on it. Got my first Pfizer dose last Tuesday, with the second on March 16.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 8:51 PM

I get my first shot on March 2 it will be the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine both are good. I'm relieved to get them.

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 9:02 PM

I get my first jab tomorrow and I'm so excited.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 10:05 PM

I got the first dose last night. I’m in NYC, blood disorder got me into the “comorbidity” list. I’m 56. So far, so good, it was a FEMA site so very organized and even made my second appointment for me already. I feel very fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 10:51 PM

I'm OBSESSED! But I'm probably in the minority in that I want the J&J vaccine. It's tried and true and it was tested during variant mutation.

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 10:56 PM

Not at all. I'll certainly get it, but I don't even think about it, really. I had a physical last week, and my doctor said I'll probably be in the last group.

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 11:42 PM

I used bleach way back in April. I'm fine.

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 11:43 PM

No. I work for a university school of medicine and will get it when they start offering it to us. Working at home, I only leave my apartment to go to the market, the postal drop, and the ATM, and haven't even done those things in four weeks.

I refuse to become preoccupied with COVID-19. It's a bore. I'm kept informed by my employer and that's enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 3:37 AM

I'm obsessed with FOOD.

Maybe that's why I weigh 273 pounds and I'm a FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 3:38 AM

Not obsessed, but my local health department said I was eligible, so I got the first shot last Wednesday. Second one in three weeks. The vax site is operated by the US Army and was extraordinarily efficient. Pfizer here.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 3:53 AM

I just had my second dose of the Moderna vaccine 2/15. It is such a relief knowing I have immunity so that I can see my family for the first time in two years.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 4:19 AM

I got my second Pfizer dose last week and let me tell you, it made all the difference in the world to my mental health.

The world was 10x brighter again.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 4:43 AM

Same R30 - my vaccination site was run by county health care workers and the national guard. Incredibly efficient and well run. Why can't all government be like this Lol.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2021 4:45 AM

I’m with you, R3. I’ve accepted that I’ll never get the vaccine in Canada either. I don’t even care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2021 5:02 AM

Got my first dose last Wednesday (underlying condition) and am very happy about it. Before I got my appointment, I was getting kind of obsessed. I wasn’t in a huge hurry to get the shots, but I was beginning to to feel like the Canadians in this thread—like I was just never going to be able to secure an appointment.

Luckily a new site opened up in my neighborhood that was initially for neighborhood residents only and I easily got an appointment there. I’m in Brooklyn and I think the NYC rollout in general is finally going better. It was a clusterfuck at first. I still don’t know what you’re supposed to do if you’re 99 years old and don’t have a nice grandkid or neighbor to help you sign up online.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2021 5:25 AM

I've been waiting my turn. My HMO, Kaiser Permanente, sends out regular updates. About a month ago they said they had 9 million members and had received only 600,000 doses and those were going to essential workers, high risk, and elders first. They also said to seek out shots elsewhere when they became available. There has been a lot of confusion and mismanagement with some offering shots, with people jumping ahead inline and deliveries not arriving.

Just two days ago I got an email from Kaiser saying I was now eligible (over 65 and in good health). I immediately followed the links and got an appointment for the first shot this week. I didn't know how stressed I'd been until I made that appointment. I was so happily relieved! I thought it would still be months more of waiting.

by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2021 5:35 AM

I've already had Covid, but I read somewhere if you've had it then get the vaccine- you'll have ten times the normal immunity. So yeah, but who knows how long it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2021 5:40 AM

I'm too young and healthy and not an essential worker, plus I've avoided no-mask idiot outdoor diners (in NYC). I'm not as obsessed as my elder neighbors (old East Village tenement), who did get theirs. It's the latest badge of honor. I have no interest in waiting for hours anywhere for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 5:45 AM

I'm not a hypochondriac so... no.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 5:52 AM

At the link is a great story about a guy whose elderly immigrant father suffers from a "toxic masculinity pre-existing condition" that affects his attitude about vaccines. Funny, but so true (in all cultures).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 12:30 PM

Funny people are lining up to get a chip put in them. Wake up people!!!

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 12:33 PM

I spend about three hours a day working on getting a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 12:33 PM

I spent an hour waiting outside in the snow and ice, vaccination centre was a chaos, but I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it was a mighty relief. I’m pretty sick of the anti-science rhetoric online. Science saves lives by the million.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 12:36 PM

My MIL does nothing but think about it and plan her life around it. I hope she can get it soon she’s consumed by it, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 12:38 PM

My friend who double-masks is somewhat obsessed with when he'll get the vaccine (he's under 65 and has no other conditions that might push him to the front of the line). He also goes on tricking vacations, most recently to The Slammer.

We laugh.

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 12:40 PM

Have a friend who sat in her car for almost 5 hours waiting in queue at a drive-through vaccination center in Los Angeles to get her jab. Madness!

I'm with R14. No interest in the vaccine, until such time as real-world data is available that it's effective or I'm prevented from doing something I want to do because I haven't been vaccinated.

You guinea pigs can carry on.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 12:49 PM

I'm in the J&J trial. I got a shot of either the vaccine or the placebo back in December. I'd love to know if I got the real thing or not, but so far, nothing has been communicated to me. I'm 63 so I'm not eligible to get any vaccine yet, but, once I am eligible, I can ask to be 'unblinded' and they'll tell me if I got the real thing or not.

Molly Jong-Fast was in the Pfizer trial, and she said that once that vaccine was approved, she was told she got the placebo and then was given the real vaccine. If J&J does that, it would be nice, not only to get to 'cut the line' but not to have to deal with getting an appointment.

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 12:50 PM

Did they ever find the 20 million doses that were supposedly lost before Trump left office?

by Anonymousreply 48March 1, 2021 12:51 PM

The stupid UK has decided not to prioritise essential workers, so I'll be putting my life on the line for schoolchildren again next week and waiting for my age group to get called. I've been seeing people in my occupation who are my age in the US all getting vaccinated, and it's hard not to feel resentful.

by Anonymousreply 49March 1, 2021 12:56 PM

I was initially apprehensive about getting it. I could’ve gotten it within weeks of it coming out but waited. I am also well under 65 and don’t have the comorbidities. I do work in healthcare but not in a hospital setting, which is another reason I waited, so as not to jump the line. Once it seemed to open up more and so many people I knew had already gotten it, I decided to just got for it. My job made getting it easy, I could literally have gone an hour later by appointment. I got Pfizer which is the one I wanted so it worked out. Just waiting to get the second dose in a few weeks. The truth is, we aren’t going to be able to do anything without proving we are vaccinated. So while it might not be mandatory, it sort of will be if you actually want to live life.

by Anonymousreply 50March 7, 2021 5:54 AM

I don’t care because I’m not at risk but I’m excited about seeing my family again

by Anonymousreply 51March 7, 2021 6:04 AM

how can one not be at risk? are you very young?

by Anonymousreply 52March 7, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote]I was initially apprehensive about getting it.

this shows how pervasive the idiocracy of the US has developed, to be "apprehensive" about any vaccine is pure idiocy

by Anonymousreply 53March 7, 2021 1:18 PM

It’s not just the US. Many countries in Asia and Europe have the same vaccine hesitancy.

by Anonymousreply 54March 7, 2021 1:24 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2021 1:27 PM

I’m actually dreading the lines. I see those lines for it and I’ll just wait a few years to get it when I just get it with my flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2021 1:28 PM

r54, idiocy

by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2021 3:26 PM

r56, you're not doing anyone any favors by being so shy about a line

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2021 3:27 PM

My parents and stepmother have all decided not to get the vaccine for now. None of them showed any signs of being anti-vax before. Surprised and concerned.

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2021 6:43 PM

My group just opened and of all the locations/providers, either their websites crashed, or you had to fill out a lengthy questionnaire and by the time you finished, all the slots were gone, or the website hadn’t been updated so it kicked you off and you had to wait another week to try again.

Knowing the J&J is coming takes a lot of pressure off though.

by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2021 8:02 PM

I’ll get if when all the elderly and sick people are done. Hopefully there’s less lines

by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote]R7 something may turn out years down the road, as far as side effects, that we haven't had time to find out about it.

Yes. A side effect could be that it makes us all look [italic]20 years younger.[/italic] (Granted, awkward for those under 40.)

by Anonymousreply 62March 7, 2021 8:13 PM

Obsessed? If this virus has taught us anything, it's who the mentally fragile members of society are.

by Anonymousreply 63March 7, 2021 8:14 PM

Some of you don't have the sense God gave a flea.

by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote] Are you obsessed with getting the vaccine?

No, of course not, I'm licking doorknobs instead.

by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2021 9:22 PM

I’m in Asia and there seems to be a strange (at least to me) hesitancy about getting the vaccine. I took an informal poll of my workplace and less 20% wants the vaccine if offered right now. The main reason appears to be if sufficient testing were carried out.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2021 9:29 PM

I got it on Friday. I was sort of obsessed but resigned to not being able to get it. Now I am very relieved.

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2021 9:30 PM

[quote] Hopefully there’s less lines

R61, I'm hoping for FEWER lines because grammar matters, even at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2021 9:38 PM

Fucking idiots

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2021 9:43 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2021 9:45 PM

Idiots

by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2021 9:46 PM

Second shot yesterday. I wasn't obsessed with it one way or another, but it does feel.... comforting?.... to have it done. Looking forward to movies, concerts, restaurants, museums, and travel... before I get too old to enjoy it.

Woke up this morning flu-ish with aches and headache, sore arm etc... took a Tylenol. My husband asked why I was doing that? Some research suggests if you take OTC pain medication after a vaccination it diminishes the effectiveness. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 72March 7, 2021 9:52 PM

Jesus told me not to get one.

by Anonymousreply 73March 7, 2021 9:54 PM

R73 Your backyard...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2021 9:57 PM

Already got first dose, OP.

by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2021 10:00 PM

R72, doctors are saying don’t take Tylenol before the appointment but once you get the shot it is ok to take.

I felt tremendous relief when I was able to schedule an appointment. However, now I am obsessed with trying to schedule another one even earlier and at a better location. I think a lot of people are doing this which is why the cancellations creates so many random opportunities (ie, one appointment available in a specific location that five minutes ago had no available appointments).

As for long lines, my appointment instructions clearly state do not arrive more than 15 minutes early.

by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2021 10:03 PM

I'll just be glad to have the shot, enabling me to travel again. I think it's only a matter of time before employers demand you have the shot to return to the office

by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2021 11:09 PM

I took my mother to get her first shot at Richmond (VA) Raceway two weeks ago. We were in and out in less than 40 minutes, including the 15 minute wait time. We seemed to be part of the last group coming in around 1PM. At the time they had 30 tables with two vaccinators at each table. About half the tables only had one worker. They have the property set up for a huge ramp up. They were only in one building, but they probably other buildings as the ramp up continues. Plus they can set up tents or whatever for drive thru on the backside of the track. I'll have to take her back in two weeks. As for myself, I am 58 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I should be a later 1B.

by Anonymousreply 78March 8, 2021 12:06 AM

I took my clothes off and I put my clothes on the top of my head

by Anonymousreply 79March 8, 2021 1:51 AM

I have been jealous of friends who got the vaccine. I got called today (Sunday!) and got an appointment for Thursday. Now I feel I am in limbo just waiting g to or it. But relieved because I figured it would be a longer wait. Also happy I am getting the Pfizer as I wanted that or Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 80March 8, 2021 5:14 AM

Got my two shots of Moderna. No reaction either time.

by Anonymousreply 81March 8, 2021 6:22 AM

Someone told me at work that there is away to get around the qualifications by stating you are in an essential business (which is true, but not at all in the traditional sense of "essential worker") and basically just being vague about the rest. I guess certain pharmacies aren't as stringent as one might think. I am not going to go through with it, but I feel like if I really wanted the vaccine, though at the end of the line, I could probably get it. I am jealous of seeing people be able to live more freely and that will feel amplified as things start to open up more.

by Anonymousreply 82March 8, 2021 6:33 AM

Got my first shot of Moderna last week my arm was sore for 2 days, I was glad to get it my next shot is in 2 weeks. I feel relived to get it, my partner got his second shot last week hopefully we can start traveling again and going to Broadway shows and movies by this summer.

by Anonymousreply 83March 8, 2021 11:21 AM

A few of my friends who are healthy adults are obsessed and have managed to get vaccinated but I don't understand the hysteria. It's like first class passengers boarding the plane first; they still have to wait for all the commoners to board and trudge past them to coach before the plane takes off. What is the point of getting vaccinated right now when most indoor activities are still banned/heavily restricted? Masks are still a must and most of the EU is not open to regular tourism.

by Anonymousreply 84March 8, 2021 12:33 PM

r82, I teach little kids, I'm 1B

by Anonymousreply 85March 8, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote]What is the point of getting vaccinated right now when most indoor activities are still banned/heavily restricted? Masks are still a must and most of the EU is not open to regular tourism.

because, dimwit, I can visit vaccinated friends - jesus, some of the idiocy on their thread is scary

by Anonymousreply 86March 8, 2021 12:39 PM

Oh, sorry R86, I didn't realize public health measures should revolve around sad old queens who are somehow incapable of seeing friends while socially distanced. If you're a healthy adult not in a public-facing job there's no compelling reason to jump the line or fudge your vaccine eligibility just so you can finally get back to the Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 87March 8, 2021 12:46 PM

I just got contacted by the health dept. for a vaccination next week. I don't quite meet the criteria they've laid out for this wave of shots , but I'm not going to refuse it.

by Anonymousreply 88March 8, 2021 12:52 PM

Don't

by Anonymousreply 89March 8, 2021 12:56 PM

R87, you're a idiot. Dinner parties and church services have been considered some of the biggest super spreader events - especially at the end of 2020. If you were flouting the social distancing rules to show off your fucking Mikasa china you're a goddamned fool.

Even fauci says that two or three vaccinated individuals can socialize together, are you really that fucking stupid?

by Anonymousreply 90March 8, 2021 12:58 PM

Not obsessed, but I've been a bit anxious about it because I don't feel like I can start getting my life back to normal until I've been immunized. I'll be in the next group to be added for eligibility in Ohio, so I'm now close, but just not quite there yet.

by Anonymousreply 91March 8, 2021 1:07 PM

If you develop a rash several days after the Moderna vaccine, it's not something to worry about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 8, 2021 2:10 PM

I started searching for an appointment on Feb 15th, the day I became eligible to get the vaccine in NYC due to an underlying condition. Total nightmare. Spent hours online daily refreshing websites but as soon as time slots opened up, they were gone. After a week, I finally gave up on the websites and started calling the city and state hot lines instead. Praise Jebus, I eventually got an appointment on Feb 24th in Brooklyn after many calls and four other appointments made and cancelled as earlier time slots in locations closer to home opened up. The first appointment I got was mid-April at the Javits Center but I didn't want to wait that long or travel that far so I kept calling. I go back for my second dose of the Pfizer vax in mid-March.

by Anonymousreply 93March 8, 2021 2:20 PM

good for you!

an elderly aunt likened the process like one of the old time radio call in shows, "be the seventeenth caller and YOU TOO will get an appointment!"

by Anonymousreply 94March 8, 2021 2:32 PM

The faster everyone gets vaccinated the better r84/r87. This is a dumb hill to die on.

by Anonymousreply 95March 8, 2021 2:35 PM

Fully-vaccinated Americans can gather with other vaccinated people indoors without wearing a mask or social distancing, according to long-awaited guidance from federal health officials.

The recommendations also say that vaccinated people can come together in the same way with people considered at low-risk for severe disease, such as in the case of vaccinated grandparents visiting healthy children and grandchildren.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the guidance Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 8, 2021 3:45 PM

GO GET YOUR JAB!!!

by Anonymousreply 97March 9, 2021 12:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!