Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Phenomena (1985), aka Creepers

I just came across this one on YouTube and watched it. Weird film. Jennifer Connelly with a psychic link to insects. Donald Pleasence with a Scottish accent and a pet razor-wielding chimpanzee. A school full of girls who are being murdered to an 80s heavy metal soundtrack. A deformed, murderous rapebaby. Some of the weirdest dialogue I've heard in a movie.

And yet. I also enjoyed watching it. The direction was wonderful in many parts, it just looked beautiful (think the copy I saw was remastered perhaps?). I love that type of film used, whatever it was. It looks rich and warm. The atmosphere was great, most of the movie was filmed either at night (proper inky black night like they don't film anymore), or blue hour, which is my favourite time of day. And maybe it sounds weird, but it reminded me a lot of Suspiria in a way. Not just the obvious like the American in a strange land, boarding school, all that stuff (there's even a weird narration just like Suspiria), but also the feeling of a sort of nightmarish fairytale.

The version I watched randomly switched into Italian for short bursts, I'm guessing the Italian version is longer and the person who uploaded it made this version to be more complete, even though there is no English soundtrack for those parts? Luckily I speak Italian.

Anyway, I was curious. What do others think of this film? Did it have much of a showing outside of Europe, ie in the US? Something about it made me feel like it was also being marketed towards the US audience and as I see, it had a different title there. I won't use the dreaded "eldergays" word, but if you were around then, was this a film you saw?

Also, what was with those two Swiss boys in the car that pick Jennifer up after her sleepwalking episode. That seemed kind of rapey. Poor girl, she didn't have much a night - sleepwalking, sees a girl impaled on a spear, falls off a roof, nearly run over by a car, nearly raped by horny teen boys, thrown out of a car and down a ravine... probably just as well she had amnesia!

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2021 8:48 PM

PS, this is the version I saw. You'll see what I mean by how beautiful it looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 10:36 AM

"She's not normal. She's diabolic!"

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 11:23 AM

The monkey, as cute as he is in the film bit off a part of Jennifer Connelly's finger off during a scene and it had to be reattached in a hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 11:57 AM

Elizabeth Arden and Estée Lauder were bitter rivals for decades.

When a prized racehorse that Elizabeth was feeding an apple to had bit the tip of her finger off, someone told Estee. She remarked,

“Well is the horse ok?”

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 1:03 PM

"The use of insects in forensic investigations: An overview on the scope of forensic entomology"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 1:35 PM

I saw this movie with a friend and his BF when it came out under the name Creepers, and while I was underwhelmed, I remember the BF complained it was the worst film he'd ever seen.

In the '90s the original length version - which was not only about a half hour longer than the American release, but I think had scenes in different order - looked so different (and was much more watchable), it made me think of the expression, "See it again for the first time."

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 2:02 PM

Ouch! And here was I thinking how cute the chimp was!

I thought it was interesting that the costumes were done by Armani in this film.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 6:37 PM

I really liked it--much better than Suspiria. It's Argento's favorite film.

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 6:45 PM

I really like Suspiria, but I do think there were elements of this that were done better here than there, R8. Interesting that it is his favourite of his films.

It's such a weird little film in a lot of ways, but it just adds to it all.

Some of the dialogue is so weird, but there was a part I liked where Donald Pleasence is talking about knowing what it is like to be an outsider, having other people feel pity, revulsion and so on... I can't remember the quote, but I thought that was actually a good line of dialogue, and perhaps is something Argento understood himself.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 7:05 PM

I'm not too keen on the heavy metal music used, but the electronic score with the bel canto singing is really great and effective.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 7:16 PM

R9, dialgoue is never Argento's strong suit. Thank dubbing for that.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 7:19 PM

R9, I think Phenomena is most personal film which is why he holds it in high esteem.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 7:33 PM

Giorgio Armani did costume design for this. I was kind of surprised by that when I noticed it in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 10:25 PM

I loved this movie when I first saw it because it was so bizarre. Does the dialogue sound better in Italian?

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 10:34 PM

R13, so was I!

R14, I haven't watched this movie in Italian, apart from the few scenes where it switched, but I know in other films the English translation often doesn't quite get the exact feeling across the Italian one does. Having said that, the dubbing sounds kinda odd in every language haha.

R12, that really interests me. Do you know why it might be so personal to him?

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 6:12 AM

I have to say, that guy getting decapitated right at the end as he goes to save Jennifer was really unexpected, even though I should expect shock endings.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2021 8:26 AM

Italian horror films are a bore. They always sound like shit because they shoot with no sound (it ain't 1929) and dub everything later.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2021 9:57 AM

It always seemed as if Connelly and Pleasance were recorded live for the most part and everyone else was dubbed. I really love Daria Nicolodi's unhinged performance at the end and that final jump scare with the deadly pane of glass is really effective. It might get me some side eye if I say this around certain people, but I like the Creepers cut more. It gets to the point a little quicker and flows better. It was my first exposure to the film, so maybe that has something to do with it.

This was one of the last truly bizarre and wild films that Argento did. His work from the 90's on always feels a little too clean and safe like he was trying to break into the American market instead of going wild with the set design, lighting, death scenes, and camera moves like in his 70's and 80's output. He shot himself in the foot that way. That's what made his films so interesting and unique.

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]but I like the Creepers cut more.

I saw someone say this on Reddit just yesterday. I've not seen it so I can't comment. I like the flow of the long version I saw, but I would be curious to see it as Creepers too.

[quote]like he was trying to break into the American market

I think he was with Trauma, unless I'm mistaken. And I think I heard La Sindrome di Stendhal was originally to be filmed in the US as well.

On what the poster above was saying about dubbing, I actually feel Phenomena is the last of his films where the dubbing seems charming and adds to the oddness of the film, rather than just looking dodgy, if that makes sense? I found it more intrusive in Opera and feel that if they had only used proper sound in Stendhal, then that would've helped improve that film immeasurably. (It actually was a pretty good later film, I thought.)

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2021 5:54 AM

I'd love to know why Phenomena is so personal to Argento. That sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2021 8:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!