Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do some Amazon commenters feel the questions are specifically for them?

When looking at questions people pose about products on Amazon, some people post ridiculous answers.

For example, someone may ask "Is the blue version just like it's shown on the website?"

And someone will answer, "I don't know. I bought the red one."

Why do people do that?

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 2:58 AM

I've noticed that as well. It's mainly because people, as a whole, are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2021 8:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2021 8:48 PM

Why do some Amazon reviewers give one star product reviews because something was damaged in transit or delivery was delayed when neither of those things have anything to do with the product itself?

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2021 8:49 PM

Old people need their own Internet away from us.

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2021 8:50 PM

I don't know either but Amazon should validate those and remove the bad ones. It's turning into a real pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2021 8:55 PM

It's because Amazon emails people who've bought a specific item when a question is posted about it, asking them to answer the question. The people who actually do respond are the same ones who reply to Nigerian princes

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2021 9:06 PM

Add “...if you don’t know, no need to reply but thanks!”

I’ve noticed it too. Morons. Like the YouTube commenters who thank people for liking their comments. It’s dumb and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2021 9:12 PM

What kills me is when they give it 5 stars & say “I haven’t used it yet but it arrived on time!”

Because Amazon sent them an email asking for a review 3 days after they got the product.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]Because Amazon sent them an email asking for a review 3 days after they got the product.

Some orders come with a card asking for a review in exchange for an Amazon gift card.

Last week I received a message on Amazon from a company that I had ordered from before offering a $20 gift card in exchange for reviewing a new product (which they would send me free of charge).

Knowing things like this makes me read reviews carefully and order with caution.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2021 10:17 PM

Why do people mention how fast it go to them? What does that have to do with the product?

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2021 10:56 PM

There was a recent story here about an an EMS guy who drowned trying to save someone. A TV news channel on Facebook had over 200 responses, each one saying briefly: "Sending out prayers", "My heart goes out", "Prayers", "Thoughts and prayers"... over and over. Wouldn't it make more sense to 'like' some else's comment that best reflected yours?

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2021 11:03 PM

They're not talking about reviews, OP is talking about the question /answer section where someone is asking a specific question and people who don't the answer are replying with unhelpful information.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote] Why do some Amazon commenters feel the questions are specifically for them?

I don't know, I never thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2021 2:31 AM

I also hate the scum who leave 5-star ratings for recipes along with a comment like, "Mmm, looks delicious. Can't wait to make it!!!"

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2021 2:54 AM

The worst are the dipshits who reply with complete non sequiturs. Example " Can this coat go in the washing machine or is it dry clean only?" Answer " I love it it's so warm!". Thanks for fucking nothing.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2021 3:03 AM

r9 I report those people to Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2021 6:59 PM

I have become suspicious about Amazon reviews, especially when there are too many glowing ones but not enough details in the reviews. I bought a projector a few years ago based on reviews and the projector wasn't that great. It was obvious that most of the reviews were bought.

I also wish Amazon would clear up the Q/A's. The "I don't know" responses are pointless. Delete them.

The other problem I have is that the same question is asked in different ways and many times the Q/A's have over 100 questions. They should group the common questions together. For example, someone looking at a Blu-Ray player, the question "Is it region-free" may come up three or four times.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2021 7:04 PM

You need to use Fakespot to analyze the reviews for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2021 7:39 PM

OP, I used to be peeved by this very "answer" but now I find them funny. There's always one.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote] Like the YouTube commenters who thank people for liking their comments. It’s dumb and pathetic.

Agreed. YouTube commenters are probably the dumbest commenters overall.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2021 8:51 PM

The other comment I don't like is:

[quote] I gave these as gifts to everybody on my Christmas list this year. They all loved it!

Point is: commenter has no personal experience with the item and the giftees are probably just lying about how much they liked the gift.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2021 8:53 PM

[quote] Add “...if you don’t know, no need to reply but thanks!”

[quote] I also wish Amazon would clear up the Q/A's. The "I don't know" responses are pointless. Delete them.

That’s because in addition to what R6 mentioned, the emails come with a check box that you can check for “I don’t know” and then it posts that response on its site.

They shouldn’t include that check box. I remember I did that in the beginning when I received those emails: if I didn’t know, I checked that box only to find out later I had “replied” to the question with “I don’t know.”

Also, the way they phrase the email makes a difference. It’ll say, for instance, “R17, can you help this customer with a product you just bought?” So people think they specifically are being asked so if they don’t know feel obligated to say they don’t know.

All around it’s a dumb process.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2021 9:00 PM

OP, “why is this question asked every couple of weeks?” should have been your question.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 9:01 PM

R9, I got that and I sent back the product and left a comment with the seller stating that "Knowing you're bribing people for reviews, makes me assume your product is probably bad."

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2021 9:01 PM

The other dumb comment is:

[quote] Can't wait to use this!

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2021 9:02 PM

Do you all not spend time on DL?

How many times have you seen "why would anyone care about this bitch" as a response?

Same general idea.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2021 9:07 PM

These are the same people who drive into a river because Google maps told them to.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2021 9:09 PM

I don’t know, OP. I don’t do that.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2021 9:11 PM

The comments about "my ____ arrived damaged and then I got a replacement" are kind of dumb, too.

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2021 9:14 PM

I’ll respectfully disagree, r29.

That tells me if the product is damaged the seller will make good on it.

I’ve seen too many reviews where someone says, “Mine arrived broken and customer service would do nothing,” or “their customer service won’t send another,” or whatever. I find that helpful.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2021 9:42 PM

R30, I was talking about Amazon reviewers who give bad reviews b/c their item arrived damaged, even though they got a replacement. But I see your point, yes, it's helpful to know if the seller will work with you toward a replacement.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2021 9:58 PM

OP, you made me laugh. I noticed that, too.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] But I see your point,

And I yours now as well. I see what you’re saying too.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote] YouTube commenters are probably the dumbest commenters overall.

Reminds me of this. The Justin Bieber line always makes me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2021 10:04 PM

I actually left a review last week about an item arriving broken. I ordered wine glasses and when they came they were lovely but poorly packaged and broken on the stem. I had them replaced and the new ones, exactly the same thing. Poorly packaged, broken stems. I think if the seller /manufacturer packages in a manner that allows the product to be broken in transit that is a valid review.

I loved those glasses, I was very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2021 10:09 PM

Agree 100%, rescue.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2021 10:18 PM

I mean look at them, they're GORGEOUS!*

*I know nothing about stemware or wine or hoity toity, I just think they're pretty and usually hate wine glasses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2021 10:21 PM

I used to wonder this same thing until I inadvertently became one of the "I don't know" answerers!

Most of the people who respond "I don't know XYZ..." are people who are innocently responding to a question from Alexa.

Amazon user: Alexa, what will the weather be like tomorrow?

Alexa: Tomorrow it will be mostly sunny with a high of 109 and a low of 38 degrees. By the way, an Amazon user has a question about 6-pk men's socks, black, an item you bought two months ago. Would you like to answer it?

Good-intentions Amazon Shopper: OK.

ALEXA: Great, the user wants to know "is the cuff on the XL Extended Size very tight, I need it loose around my calf?".

Good-intentions Amazon Shopper: I don't know the answer to that one because I got the regular size.

ALEXA: Great! Thank you for your helpful information!

Then your useless answer "I don't know the answer to that one because I got the regular size." is TRANSCRIBED to the Amazon Q&As about the item and down voted by everyone who thinks you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 38February 27, 2021 10:46 PM

haha, that's why I don't talk to Alexa except for the BARE minimum and 'please' and 'thank you' just in case of skynet

by Anonymousreply 39February 27, 2021 10:51 PM

Alexa, stop asking me stupid questions.

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2021 11:13 PM

I know someone who gets a comped Amazon Prime sub because he receives items in exchange for reviews. I think he first found a review group through facebook. The interesting point is that Amazon is complicit in some way, unless one of the vendors is paying for the Prime sub.

Agree with R18 -- I now NEVER buy anything from Amazon without running it through Fakespot to see if the reviews are reliable. Fakespot also now has an iOS app so you can check reviews directly from the Amazon app.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 5:31 PM

The funniest one I saw was something like: "How did you get my email? If you contact me again I will report you to the police!!"

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 5:47 PM

It’s because the person answering got an email from Amazon asking them to answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 6:20 PM

Do these ridiculous comments not get reviewed by a human being before being published??

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2021 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!