Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

REAL ID

how many of you have it. I just got mine today. I was missing a document for my mother and have to return. Its going to be a real mess OCT 1st and marginalized people will NOT be able to fly domestically. The requirements are very strict

by Anonymousreply 171June 28, 2021 6:14 AM

Yeah, they're very strict. They turned down one of my forms of ID because it said "William D Close" instead of "William David Close." I'd recommend bringing multiple forms of ID from the various categories.

If they don't postpone the REAL ID law again, Oct. 1 will indeed be a shitshow. No one is thinking about it during the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2021 6:24 PM

On my birth certificate my given name is what most people would consider a nickname, and when I registered for a social security card as a teenager and filled out forms for school I formalized the name, so I don't know how I would reconcile that with "real" ID, but I don't plan on flying anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2021 7:18 PM

If you don’t have the Real ID, you can use your passport as a valid form of ID to travel domestically.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote] marginalized people will NOT be able to fly domestically.

No sarcasm, but what does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2021 7:38 PM

First they came for the emotional support animals - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2021 7:44 PM

When my mother converted her license, she figured they would trust her driver's license as proof of her married name (since her birth certificate is in her maiden name). Nope! They made her go back and bring in her marriage certificate. I told her to sue the federal government because that's gender discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2021 7:47 PM

Looks like they're not extending the deadline this time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2021 7:49 PM

I brought all the documents that were requested, including my passport, social security card and my Sak's bill to show address. The long, long lines, people standing and I was seated near a very irritating guy who apparently thought it was cute to express his idiotic thoughts to no one in particular.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2021 7:56 PM

If you don't have one by now, you deserve the consequences. This has been ongoing for a couple of years now, and even through covid, the DMVs were mostly open, and mostly doing appointments, so no excuses. Just the usual people, waiting until the usual last minute.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2021 8:27 PM

I'm surprised states were letting people get non-compliant ID's R9. Last time I renewed my license, it was not an option to get a non-real ID.

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2021 8:31 PM

OP, exactly which group of 'marginalised people' will be booking air travel? Has not state-issued ID always been required for check-in and boarding?

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2021 8:32 PM

Got mine in NYC. Technically, I could have been turned down, but I brought so much documentation and look trustworthy so the guy accepted it. I was sweating bullets about it.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2021 8:33 PM

I got mine last year....right before COVID. I'm sure they will extend again.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2021 8:36 PM

I have had real ID since late 2019 and I renewed my license via interwebs in December '20, new license was real ID as well, (I was worried there would be a fuck up). I have the ID but no plans to fly anywhere in 2021.

Anyway, I don't know why anyone is fretting about it now. It's not like hordes of people will be rushing to fly on October 1. If people wait til the deadline passes, it may take even longer to get the real ID processed. Other forms of ID are accepted. Not a huge deal.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2021 8:38 PM

R11, a Real ID is not simply a state-issued driver license or ID card, which will still exist. Getting one requires a lot more identification and verification, and hence take longer to obtain. After Oct 1, you will not be able to board a plane without either a valid passport, or a Real ID; just any old state-issued ID will not work.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 8:53 PM

So what happens id you don't have one?

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2021 8:59 PM

^^if

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2021 8:59 PM

What is this fucking bullshit? I have refused to pay attention or absorb or comply because it sounds like unnecessary horseshit.

I don’t travel outside the US anymore and rarely fly.

Do I NEED this fucking shit?

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2021 9:00 PM

I always use my passport anyway when I fly, even domestically.

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2021 9:01 PM

Yet another reason to get rid of the TSA.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2021 9:02 PM

If you don't have a current passport, or a Real ID after October 1, you cannot board a plane, domestically or internationally.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2021 9:07 PM

If I don't want to fly anywhere do I need it?

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2021 9:11 PM

R21 So what you are saying is with just a normal passport we can still fly?

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2021 9:17 PM

Was this started by W?

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2021 9:35 PM

Yes, r23, you can use your passport if you don’t have a Real ID. I worry about friends who, like r18, think they don’t need one or a passport. If a friend or family member dies and you need to fly last minute, you will be screwed.

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]Its going to be a real mess OCT 1st and marginalized people will NOT be able to fly domestically.

How marginalized can a person be if they can afford to fly?🤔

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2021 9:52 PM

I got mine last year. Everything went smoothly but I did being multiple documents just in case because I wasn’t about to stand in a long line just to be told I didn’t have something and do it all again. I suggest doing it sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2021 9:53 PM

How come you need an ID to travel, but not to vote?

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2021 9:59 PM

[Quote] If a friend or family member dies and you need to fly last minute, you will be screwed.

Then I guess he/she don't to the funeral. It's not the end of the world for many people.

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2021 10:01 PM

R26 You can't be serious, right? A family member dying or other emergencies. Some direct flights are only $100, cheaper than driving 12 hours.

It's a crock of shit and will make the airlines lose more money. There's a lot of people that don't have an original birth certificate, nor an extra couple hundred to spend on getting a special ID. This is just another money grab, a violation of privacy, and another way to widen the class gap in this country.

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2021 10:06 PM

I've had mine almost a year. It wasn't a big deal to get it. Can't wait to fly again!

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2021 10:08 PM

Marginalized, meaning people who move a lot and dont have all their forms and documents ready or readily accessible. Everything HAS to line up for the REAL ID. My 95 yr old mother who has lived in same house for 60 years got turned down because her Morgan Stanly 1009 tax form had the front of her SS number xxx'd out for security purposes. Spirit and Frontier and Allegiant will have the biggest fall out of non compliant passengers,. i expect.

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2021 10:09 PM

R30 Yes I am serious. For the last few years, it’s been made clear that Real ID would be implemented across the country by the end of 2020, and now the end of 2021 due to the pandemic. Many states have already had it. In my state it was $30. If you have had years and you can’t save up $30 and gather the necessary papers, traveling someone is the least of your worries.

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2021 10:15 PM

My state issued drivers license is Real ID compliant and I didn't have to do anything extraordinary. They mailed me a new dl with required gold star. Idk what your states fucked up that is making it so difficult for you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 34February 25, 2021 10:16 PM

R34 Mizzourah, here! And yes its a bitch

by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote]Marginalized, meaning people who move a lot and dont have all their forms and documents ready or readily accessible.

This is such a poor excuse. Unless you’re homeless, everybody should have their important documents (birth certificate, ss card, passport, voter registration card, etc) in a safe but accessible place where they can easily get them if needed (preferably a fireproof safe or lockbox). You learn this even as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2021 10:20 PM

R36 white privilege

by Anonymousreply 37February 25, 2021 10:21 PM

R37 Nope.

by Anonymousreply 38February 25, 2021 10:23 PM

So If I can still use my regular passport to fly, I really don't see the need for this.

by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2021 10:42 PM

I had a real ID, and now i don't. When I moved states they questioned one of my documents and gave me regular ID.

by Anonymousreply 40February 25, 2021 11:11 PM

Last March I set up an appointment for May...then stuff happened and it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2021 11:15 PM

I resent this.

by Anonymousreply 42February 25, 2021 11:26 PM

I think most states were required to have ID's conform to the REAL ID standard by 2010 or so.

by Anonymousreply 43February 25, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote]How come you need an ID to travel, but not to vote?

Because voting is a Constitutional right. Traveling by air isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2021 11:50 PM

[quote]So If I can still use my regular passport to fly, I really don't see the need for this.

If you have a passport, you don’t need a Real ID.

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2021 11:51 PM

I had plenty of documentation including my original birth certificate. None of it was was any good. They wanted a certified copy of my birth certificate. Ok, whatever. I reach out to my birth town in Maine and all they wanted was a copy of my driver’s license for the certified copy. I cannot figure out why Connecticut could not accept my birth certificate and my Connecticut driver’s license - I’ve had the same Connecticut address for 30 years and a Connecticut license 42 years. Defies logic.

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2021 12:28 AM

I don’t have a REAL ID, but I have a REAL SUPER-EGO. It used to be just an EGO, but I really applied myself.

by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2021 12:39 AM

Oh...and I also have a passport.

by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2021 12:40 AM

Thank you for posting OP. I had put this on mental to-do list for 2021 last year, and this was a good reminder to get it done.

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2021 12:44 AM

R46, I had the same thing happen to me in NYC back in 2019. My driver’s license was up for renewal, so I thought I would upgrade then to the enhanced ID. The instructions online said to bring my original birth certificate but when I got to the DVM, I was told that I needed a certified copy.

by Anonymousreply 50February 26, 2021 1:04 AM

R29 a funeral is the end of the world for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 51February 26, 2021 2:21 AM

[Quote] a funeral is the end of the world for everyone.

Not for the living. Drama much? Sheeeesh.

by Anonymousreply 52February 26, 2021 2:24 AM

Other than traveling what are the other reasons one would need a "real id?"

by Anonymousreply 53February 26, 2021 2:30 AM

No other reason i can think of, unless they tie other things in with it at some point in the future.

by Anonymousreply 54February 26, 2021 4:30 AM

by Anonymousreply 55February 27, 2021 7:53 PM

"How come you need an ID to travel, but not to vote?"

I voted by mail in PA and you had to include the # from your driver's license or state-issued ID

by Anonymousreply 56February 27, 2021 7:59 PM

I’ll just use my passport to travel. This is a no brained.

by Anonymousreply 57February 27, 2021 8:02 PM

^no brainer

by Anonymousreply 58February 27, 2021 8:03 PM

The Real ID Act was passed by Congress (not TSA) in *2005*. There was a lack of standardization across states, and some of the 9/11 terrorists took advantage of that to obtain fake documents. States objected, resisted, and thwarted the law’s implementation because they are stubborn and citizens are very uninformed (as shown by many on this thread). My state was ahead of the curve, but had to re-do when the standards changed.

This is why we can’t have nice things in this country. Stupid people and states rights.

by Anonymousreply 59February 27, 2021 8:10 PM

r59, as opposed to overdramatic people who freak out and overreact because of Sept. 11th?

by Anonymousreply 60February 27, 2021 8:15 PM

r59 = Drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 61February 27, 2021 8:17 PM

r59, then what are the other reasons to get this ID? Is it just for travel? I don't travel expect for road trips.

by Anonymousreply 62February 27, 2021 8:20 PM

The French introduced ID cards as the international situation deteriorated in the late 30s. IBM helped them a lot. When the Nazis arrived, they were quickly able to find, round up and deport the Jews as a result. ID is a bad idea; it is more govt control; it should be resisted not embraced.

by Anonymousreply 63February 27, 2021 8:33 PM

I'm in California, I have a certified copy of my birth certificate, but my parents waited forever to name me, so it is an amended birth certificate (a 2 pager), so I'm already worried about that getting the hairy eyeball.

I don't have a passport and I haven't a clue where my social security card even is, because I have never carried it with me in my life. My question is has anyone in my state, lacking these two documents, been able to get a Real ID? What documents did you present and how easy/hard/traumatic was the experience?

by Anonymousreply 64February 27, 2021 8:37 PM

Sorry Hon~ deportation is in your future!

by Anonymousreply 65February 27, 2021 8:52 PM

R64 best off contacting the SSA now to get a replacement SS card.

by Anonymousreply 66February 27, 2021 8:54 PM

Yeah. I wonder what documents I'll have to supply to get that R66? I will call on Monday.

It's so Kafkaesque

by Anonymousreply 67February 27, 2021 8:56 PM

These requirements are in line with NIST standards to validate identity.

I am apparently a drama queen, as opposed the guy who thinks ID is a gateway to the next Holocaust, so take it with a grain of salt. The Nazis definitely used identification records to round up Jews in the Netherlands, but the lack of documentation didn’t stop them from killing even more Polish Jews. A validated state ID is unlikely to help round up citizens more than the electronic footprint you leave with your phone, credit cards, and home electronics.

by Anonymousreply 68February 27, 2021 8:57 PM

In NY you either need your original SS card or a pay stub that shows your SS number plus your passport. But going to the DMV is a pain

by Anonymousreply 69February 27, 2021 8:59 PM

It isn't hard R67. I've done it several times (I lose wallets annoyingly often - though I no longer carry my SS card with me).

You just go done to your local SS office with your DL and birth certificate and they will mail it. Takes several weeks to get it. I had to sit there for a few hours. Very similar experience to the DMV.

by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2021 9:01 PM

I don’t know why anyone would go through all of this trouble. It’s much easier and more useful to get a passport.

by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2021 9:03 PM

I received notice from my state’s DOT license to apply for the Real ID which I’m grateful for because I saw that my license was going to expire the next month. I had all of the documents and made an appointment the following week. The entire process took ten minutes. I will say, however, that my local DMV used to be a wonderfully run operation but this time the experience, while professional, didn’t have any trace of warmth. Then I realized that everyone working there was a white male between the ages of 30-40. My last time there the office was run by women.

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2021 9:05 PM

Well, R71 you still need your license for other things. I don't know that NOT having a REAL ID will be an option eventually.

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2021 9:07 PM

Some of these responses came from REAL IDiots.

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]I don't have a passport and I haven't a clue where my social security card even is, because I have never carried it with me in my life.

You’re not supposed to carry it with you. You’re supposed to keep it in a safe place in your home with other important documents.

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] I don’t know why anyone would go through all of this trouble. It’s much easier and more useful to get a passport.

No everyone can afford $110 for a passport right now.

by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2021 9:18 PM

I got my REAL ID in the form of my REAL driver's license 4 years ago and I thought I was late in getting it. I had no idea they had extended the deadline once again.

In DC the documents required for your driver's license are the same as for the federal requirements for the REAL ID so the DC license is an acceptable REAL ID. I have no idea why I am capitalizing REAL. LOL!

I just went online to the DC DMV and found what documents were required. This is not rocket science. Follow the instructions. Dont go guessing and try to substitute. My birth certificate is from NYC and it looks like an old photograph and yea it is old but thats what they gave out as NYC holds the original. Nobody questioned it. I had nothing with my entire SS number on it and lost that SS card decades ago. So I went to my local SS office where they were just lovely and I was in and out within a half hour. My new card came n the mail within two weeks and I went to the DMV in Georgetown where again they were lovely. That took maybe an hour or less and the nice lady let me retake my photo a number of times until we got one we both liked. I do remember the cost seemed high to me but I think it lasts ten years.

Just do it.

I hear you about the Nazis using a country's efficiency to round up the Jewish population. Italy, on the other hand, used their notoriously bad reputation for inefficiency and "mismanagement" to obstruct the Nazis and to hide their Jews. I loved reading that story.

People who are really afraid have more to worry about than real IDs. Probably the same people using the internet and social media for everything.

by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2021 9:34 PM

What about the ID card that you use to travel to the virgin islands etc? Can that still be used? I got that with my passport. Either way, I'll be using my passport. I can't be bothered to get this new shit.

Social Security used to send me a letter every year about information on your account etc...but then they stopped. Anyone getting letters from them? Are they still sending them out?

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2021 9:42 PM

It's so funny, all the people asking if they can still fly by presenting a US Passport.

Of course you can! A passport is a federally issued identity document. A US passport's issue meets strict identity requirements.

Why wouldn't it get you to Chicago, when it can get you Cancun?

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2021 9:56 PM

r78 That is strange they stopped. I didn't like mine going through the mail so I signed up to access it online only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2021 9:56 PM

My parents still get those letters R78, but I do not because I somehow signed up for e-mail only delivery when I created a mySSA account. Check that.

Tidbits to add ....

There is a limit of 10 SS card replacements per lifetime. This was brought up to me on my last go around (I was one number 5).

I also had to order a replacement birth certificate. I (I think it is funny but whatever), tried to alter my original in attempt to get a fake ID to drink (this was in the early 90's), and it was no longer acceptable.

I could order a new one on-line by uploading my DL. I will say though, that I was born fairly recently (late 70's) in a major city (Denver) and had no issues.

I remember talking to an older co-worker who almost didn't get hired because she (in her 60's) had none of the documentation, and the New York systems? (school, hospital, records) were a gigantic cluster fuck. She had a really hard time getting her birth certificate and high school diploma.

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2021 10:00 PM

Will I need REAL ID to attend the Bal de la Croix-Rouge in Monte Carlo?

by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2021 10:08 PM

I couldn’t find my birth certificate so I had to use a service that somehow obtains an acceptable copy from your birthplace to get a copy. It cost around $45 and my DMV accepted it without question. I also had my original SS card, mortgage statement and a utility bill. The clerk was very friendly and barely looked at any of them.

I was extremely lucky because I got the new card right before COVID hit. My license at the time didn’t expire until much later in the year but my state sent early renewal notices to try to get ahead of the REAL ID crush. Of course the deadline was then extended anyway due to COVID.

I don’t plan to ever fly again myself but since I had to get my license renewed last year anyway I decided to get the REAL ID just in case. It cost $22 more than a regular license, too.

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2021 10:24 PM

The way they phrased it to us when we last got our licenses/IDs was that it wasn't necessary to have a REAL ID but that it would not be usable for air travel. As it turns out we have both passports and real ID, anyway.

I have to renew my Global Entry at some point.

by Anonymousreply 84February 27, 2021 10:47 PM

R78 you should be fine with the passport card . My concern with folks pronouncing no more flying may get into some emergency situation where the flight is cortical but unattainable due to this barrier.

by Anonymousreply 85February 27, 2021 10:53 PM

NO on the passport cards, they changed the rules a few years ago and a lot of the places where you used to be able to use them now do not accept them. Better to have a full passport.

by Anonymousreply 86February 27, 2021 11:57 PM

r83, you contact the records department in the county you were born in and get a copy.

idiots!

by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2021 12:00 AM

R85 i should clarify to R78 that the passport card would be acceptable for domestic US flights in lieu of the new REAL ID drivers license or a full blown passport!

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2021 12:04 AM

My last drivers license was a real ID license. I renewed it a year ago so I've had a real ID for 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2021 12:06 AM

R87, it was much faster the way I did it. Get help for your rage issues.

by Anonymousreply 90February 28, 2021 12:37 AM

I guess I’m screwed. I came to the US as a refugee and lost my birth certificate. No passport either. I still have an old SS card made out of paper from the 70s. Just as well I loathe flying.

by Anonymousreply 91February 28, 2021 7:50 AM

Wait until someone tells the marginalized people they can't afford First Class.

by Anonymousreply 92February 28, 2021 7:58 AM

Marginalized people are most likely the poorer ones, the rural, the immigrants, and the older blacks. Some of you are really ignorant assholes living in your little bubbles of privileged mediocre suburban and gentrified urban whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 93February 28, 2021 8:34 AM

The real ID is a problem for expats. Most of us aren't able to meet the requirements for one. I'm lucky that my home state still allows a regular license, but I know some people from other home states who are having to give up their drivers licenses when they expire.

by Anonymousreply 94February 28, 2021 9:12 AM

fuck! i am glad i saw this.

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2021 9:28 AM

I followed instructions on the DMV website in order to bring the documents needed to get the real ID. It was a 3-hour wait in Manhattan. I got an extremely bitchy clerk who wouldn't accept letters from my health insurance as proof of my address. "We don't accept those..." even though it didn't say anything about it on the website. I think she refused my bank statement as proof of my address, too. They won't accept print outs of bills paid online. I have my monthly electricity bill mailed. I can't go paperless becuase of the DMV insanity.

So, I ended up one document short. I had to get the regular non-driving license and go back and pay again and wait three 3 hours in order to get the Real ID. The clerk said that I can use the new Non-drivers ID as one of my documents for the Real ID. I'll have to take the damn written drivers test because I let my old drivers license expire.

It's not just flying that requires a Real ID or passport. Federal buildings and other office buildings in NYC won't let you in without the Real ID or passport starting in Oct 2021. What a racket!

And now w/ Covid-19 and NYC having 2 new variants, I don't want to sit in a room full of people for 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2021 9:36 AM

eta: Of course the DMV hours aren't what what they say on the website. When I went down the first time, the doors were locked and a scribbled note was taped to the front door. The fuckers decided to close 3 hrs early that day with no explanation.

Now, I call before I leave my apt for any type of appointment to make sure they are open.

I guess that I should get a new passport too. $110.00

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2021 9:45 AM

Are there any services or organizations to help those people R93?

by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2021 9:49 AM

[quote]If you don't have one by now, you deserve the consequences. This has been ongoing for a couple of years now, and even through covid, the DMVs were mostly open, and mostly doing appointments, so no excuses. Just the usual people, waiting until the usual last minute.

Oregon didn't start offering Real ID until the end of July 2020.

by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2021 10:06 AM

buildings in nyc won't allow you in unless you have real ID or passport? that's crazy, what about those food delivery people?

I know that you gotta be wearing 2 masks to enter a federal building in NYC

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2021 10:10 AM

I looked on the REAL ID site and it says that

"A passport is an acceptable form of identification and may be used in lieu of a REAL ID Drivers License or ID to board domestic flights and visit federal facilities". So that's some good news at least.

This is something everyone should get on to now rather than later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2021 10:16 AM

[quote]In NY you either need your original SS card or a pay stub that shows your SS number plus your passport. But going to the DMV is a pain

In NYC, you need much more than just two documents. Please do post misinformation. Who the hell wants to hassle sitting around only to find out you don't have the proper documents? If you don't use a middle name or middle initial from your old SS, you might need a new SS card. You need a specific number of documents which then add up to the points required for a DMV ID.

You will need any sort of legal ID you already have, such as a passport or state issued medical card, such as a Medicaid benefit card, basically any ID with a photo on it. Specific documents also add up to a certain number of points which also help to get things running much smoother.

You can also present a credit card bill or utility bill (this is why I continue to get paper bills even though most of my bills are on auto-pay), if utilities are included in your rent or maintenance, you can bring copy of your monthly rent or maintenance bill.

Your birth certificate is, of course, great identity proof, either the original one from the hospital or a birth certificate with the raised seal from the Board of Health which I got many years ago when I applied for my first passport. I have both and will bring both when I go for my new DMV non-drivers ID soon. Due to Covid, I had to make an appointment, it's a months wait until I can go to the DMV.

If your original drivers or non-drivers license, or passport, is not over a certain number of years expired, you could easily re-apply online.

I also understand a very old passport is also counted as proof, but I'm not sure.

Why not simply go to the DMV website and see the list of required documents? DL never ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2021 10:24 AM

R100 It may not be all buildings but it will be every federal building for sure. Since mid-March, my apt building does not allow food/grocery delivery people to go up to apartments. They have to stay in the lobby and the person who ordered the food or groceries has to come down and get them.

We have to wear masks in all public areas of the apt building and only one person per elevator. We aren't supposed to have visitors (or limited to just a few at a time). 3 more front house-staff guys just tested positive for Covid. That makes a total of 6 so far. Due to HIPPA, we aren't old who got sick, so residents are anxious that we might have had contact with the positive people

by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2021 10:26 AM

typo: told not old.

by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2021 10:29 AM

That should be: "Please do NOT post misinformation."

by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2021 10:36 AM

A bit OT, but why do these well-paid city/state workers at the DMV treat people so poorly? Why is their rep as being nasty and uncooperative people, a given? Why do these people enjoy being so evil?

Most of these workers aren't highly educated, they all have great lifer jobs with good benefits and great pensions, yet they are all such miserable weirdoes and general assholes. They take pleasure in being miserable.

Please 'splain.

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2021 10:40 AM

I agree to some degree, r106, but if you watch how abusively the employees are treated, it makes more sense. They deal with endless lines of uninformed, angry people every day. Then they become embittered from the stress and rudeness and treat everyone poorly in response.

by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2021 11:44 AM

Lots of travel concerns

by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2021 11:49 AM

The DMV at the best of times is a super-spreader event. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2021 11:59 AM

My relatives say a regular DMV card will still work as ID for my upcoming jury duty, but aren't all courthouses considered Federal property whether or not so designated? .

Btw, shouldn't being under the eligible age for getting a COVID vaccination void summonses for people age 18-65?

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2021 12:08 PM

How do you lot manage day to day when getting a real ID is so difficult for you? Try immigrating to the US if you want to know what paperwork looks like.

by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2021 12:11 PM

You need multiple documents. For example DC allows certain specific forms of identity-verifying proof (such as W-2s) or, for retirees, comparable proof of identity.

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2021 12:29 PM

[quote] but aren't all courthouses considered Federal property whether or not so designated? .

Are they?

by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote]I agree to some degree, [R106], but if you watch how abusively the employees are treated, it makes more sense. They deal with endless lines of uninformed, angry people every day. Then they become embittered from the stress and rudeness and treat everyone poorly in response.

This type of behavior has always been the MO at the DMV. 9/11 really changed things, it made needing IDs even more of a requirement. I bought my loft without a non-drivers DMV ID. I don't drive and never needed a non-drivers ID. All I needed when I purchased my loft, was a valid passport, my financials. letters of recommendation and whatever the board required. Period.

Not every person who shows up to the DMV is a difficult or nasty moron. Why are DMV workers allowed to always be abusive to even innocent calm clients? I was discussing this with my doctor's assistant the other day, she's one of the nicest people I know and was telling me how her last DMV experience was a horror show.

Most people have stressful jobs, others have stressful jobs where they are underpaid. The average DMV clerk salary in NYC is $40,000, that's sure better than being a cashier.

If you are literate and can read English, the list of required documents is very clear at the DMV website. Then, when you bring those documents in, some DMV schmuck will tell you, you don't have the required documents. Seriously? It's as if these morons go out of their way to abuse people.

The person upthread who brought the correct documents, was then told by some DMV loon that the documents weren't correct, that's not OK. There is no excuse to treat decent intelligent clients with such distain. I'm not looking forward to my upcoming DMV experience.

by Anonymousreply 114February 28, 2021 1:15 PM

I was at one DMV office where they told me one thing and sent me to another DMV office where they told me something completely different. At the second office, I politely queried what I was being told as it did not tally with what I had been told at the first office. Frau Karen behind the counter at the second office did not hesitate for an instant before saying, "OK, I'm gonna get my manager," as if I had made some sort of a complaint. Touchy.

by Anonymousreply 115February 28, 2021 1:37 PM

In the United States we have a federal court system and 50 state court systems plus DC.

The federal court system has court houses in all 50 states and DC plus its US territories. I imagine the territories may also have local court systems but I don't know that.

Which court handles which cases is a jurisdictional matter determined by law (the Constitution and legislatively written law), and sorted by subject matter and geography.

[quote] The U.S. has five permanently inhabited territories: Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribbean Sea, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands in the North Pacific Ocean, and American Samoa in the South Pacific Ocean.

by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2021 2:38 PM

what paperwork do you need? I have a driver's lic (in the state I am apply too) I want a real id driver's lic. I also have a passport. Do I need more than that?

For California:

by Anonymousreply 117February 28, 2021 11:22 PM

Google is your friend R117, lazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2021 11:36 PM

NY wouldn’t let me get one online when I renewed my license this summer so I won’t get one for another 3.5 years. I’m not paying extra. I will just use my passport if I fly in the US.

by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2021 11:48 PM

Anybody gone through the process in California?

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2021 2:55 AM

Yes, R118, the people who can't use Google to find a link to the requirements of their state remind me of the 2000 election in the U.S. In a news report about elderly Miami-Dade voters who professed confusion about the ballots and who they had voted for, there was a quote from some election official on the wrong side (but nonetheless funny) to the effect that: yes, the poor old things, so confused, yet they can draw you a map of every early bird special restaurant in three counties.

by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2021 9:54 AM

Let's say you have jury duty. If you don't have a real id you can do jd?

by Anonymousreply 122March 11, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote] why do these well-paid city/state workers at the DMV treat people so poorly? Why is their rep as being nasty and uncooperative people, a given?

Because most of them are either barely literate or they've been their so long that they're fossils.

Either way, simple minded folks with no ability to rationalize or reason if something out of the ordinary happens.

by Anonymousreply 123March 11, 2021 3:20 PM

I did mine almost 2 years ago? Was in and out? Read what was needed and assembled the documents?

by Anonymousreply 124March 11, 2021 3:29 PM

I’m dreading this. I need to renew this year but even ten years ago, it was a hassle at my DMV. They were already getting uber Patriot Act and this was before Real ID.

But I just checked the box I keep my important papers in and I have a registered? certified? birth certificate and 3 copies as well as a couple social security cards plus my baptism certificate, all my old elementary school report cards, my SAT scores, a family tree and index cards with all my childhood illnesses listed. Thanks Mom!

by Anonymousreply 125March 11, 2021 4:10 PM

Who on earth doesn't have their birth certificate, or know how to get it?

by Anonymousreply 126March 11, 2021 5:37 PM

R120, I did it in Calif twice, once for my father in 2018 and again for myself in 2020. The Calif DMV website gave complete instructions and I had no problems. I suggest that you check that site a few months ahead of time if possible, so you'll be able to get any copies of documents that you might be missing -- my dad needed a copy of his Soc Sec card and his birth certificate, which took a few weeks to arrive in the mail after ordering them on-line.

by Anonymousreply 127March 11, 2021 5:52 PM

Now it's 2023.

by Anonymousreply 128April 28, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote]Anybody gone through the process in California?

I'm r1. I did, but if you read back they want all four forms of ID with the same name. My IDs with "William D Close" did not match with "William David Close."

I recommend that you go overboard and bring passport, certified birth certificate (no copies; it must have the seal), Social Security card, pay stub, utility bill, and any other documents that have the same version of your name on it. You can't bring too many. Oddly, it's harder to get REAL ID than it is a passport.

by Anonymousreply 129April 28, 2021 6:22 AM

I have two passports, so I won't even bother with the headaches of getting a real ID.

by Anonymousreply 130April 28, 2021 6:32 AM

R44 Voting is a constitutional right, but don't you or shouldn't you have proof of citizenship and residency in order to exercise that right?

by Anonymousreply 131April 28, 2021 6:32 AM

I’m not a “marginalized” person, by any stretch, but I had trouble getting this. Luckily I had brought every last piece of official documentation and the guy at the DMV took pity on me. Some poor guy at the next window over didn’t have enough ID and he was distraught. I can see how difficult it would be if you didn’t have perfect parents who applied for a Social Security card for you at birth and all that jazz. I’ve had a passport since I was two years old but if it’s one day past expiry, they won’t accept it. But they’ll accept a utility bill.

by Anonymousreply 132April 28, 2021 9:48 AM

The requirements are in line with NIST standards for identity validation. The 9/11 terrorists exploited the weakness of state IDs, so this requirement was passed into law in 2005.

You would need 1) an unexpired passport or your original birth certificate (which you would need to get a passport) 2) SSN from card or W-2 3) two proofs of residency, like a driver’s license and official mail.

I’m not sure why people think expired documents are not a problem, other than they are not thinking of how you would implement a process to hundreds of millions of people.

If you don’t have these, you can’t prove your identity to a reasonable degree. The requirements do not vastly exceed what is needed for international travel.

It’s interesting that two major right-wing issues - voting rights and immigration - center on identity validation.

by Anonymousreply 133April 28, 2021 10:09 AM

I brought two bank statements from different accounts but they were from the same bank so they wouldn't accept it for the real ID I had waited two months for the appointment I asked the clerk if I could call up other bank accounts on my phone and she said I could if I email them to her work account. So that's what I did. My husband was freaked out that I shared that information with her but I reminded him she would have had access to my account numbers regardless

by Anonymousreply 134April 28, 2021 10:19 AM

R123? You have the balls to declare people with clerical jobs barely literate? Let's see if you can find the error in your sentence:

Because most of them are either barely literate or they've been their so long that they're fossils.

And R102? The thing that baffles me is that most of the guys on DL claim to have 6-figure incomes. How do people who can't figure this out manage to get a job, much less a 6-figure income job? It amazes me. I guess white male privilege is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 135April 28, 2021 10:53 AM

Biden just sent out a piece of mail regarding the American Rescue Plan. Keep it, don't toss it out. If there would be anything you would need to get a Real ID, it would be a piece of mail directly from The White House.

by Anonymousreply 136April 28, 2021 11:24 AM

I actually had no problem getting it in Texas, believe it or not, and have a few last names.

by Anonymousreply 137April 28, 2021 11:37 AM

just got mine

by Anonymousreply 138April 28, 2021 11:48 AM

Generally men have no problem, but women have to provide documentation of ownership through all name changes.

The documentation for a passport is very similar to documentation for a Real-ID.

Whenever you provide Proof of Identity to an official, with a Real ID, you are also showing proof of citizenship.

That STAR tells a lot.

by Anonymousreply 139April 28, 2021 11:49 AM

Marginalized people in NYC have so many public benefits to select from that they live better than most folks in other states who work several jobs. They will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 140April 28, 2021 11:54 AM

Marginalized people are rarely fine. They are usually murdered and ignored.

by Anonymousreply 141April 28, 2021 11:58 AM

I've had mine for almost 10 years. My state started issuing Real ID driver's licenses in 2012. Actually I'm on my 3rd one. Up until my last renewal our driver's licenses were for 4 years, but they went to 8 year licenses when I renewed the last time, so I'm good until 2028, if I live that long

by Anonymousreply 142April 28, 2021 12:01 PM

I got mine, quickly, through Triple A. The Registry of Motor Vehicles is still closed for most in-person transactions.

It was fairly easy: the only thing I needed (and then subsequently found, so now I have two) was a copy of my birth certificate which cost $12 and took a week to get.

Massachusetts would convert the license for free if your current license expired within a year, mine didn't, but I figured I'd need it when they started requiring them (or a valid passport) to fly domestically this October 1st (my old license didn't expire until 2023.

Yesterday they announced the requirement has been pushed back again to 2023.

by Anonymousreply 143April 28, 2021 12:24 PM

I don't drive, I have a non-drivers ID. What documents are required to get the Real ID? Not that I have plans to travel, I actually don't enjoy traveling, but in case I have a family emergency, then have to visit my siblings who both live in California, I assume I'd now need this ID.

When I applied for my non-drivers ID, I was told my passport, which expired over 10 years ago, was no longer considered a valid ID, the passport couldn't be applied to the 'point' system which is necessary to get an ID. Even though you can clearly see that's me in the passport photo, it was rejected as a from of ID to get an ID.

What happens when people don't have an electric bill etc to show at the DMV? My monthly electric charge and cable are tagged on to my monthly co-op maintenance. I guess a phone bill can be printed from a person's online info as can bank information. I was able to show my bank card.

So much is required. Another problem, my SS card has my middle initial, which I never use, I guess when applying for the Real ID I now need a new SS card?

When I applied for the non-drivers ID, I brought in two birth certificates, the one with the raised seal, which is essentially a large photocopy on photo paper, I also had the original birth certificate. I thought I was going to be turned away. I had two medical cards, that seemed to do the trick. As I had made the appointment for the non-drivers ID, I couldn't change it to applying for the Real ID.

Other than nearly not getting the non-drivers ID, my DMV experience was fairly quick and actually pleasant. The woman who took the photo was very chatty and super personable. I went to the regular DMV in Manhattan. The quick DMV supposedly closes at 4PM. My appt was for 5PM. There was no line. Upon entering, I showed my appointment print-out to the security person at the entrance level. She scanned the code on the print-out, then told me what line to get on once upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 144April 28, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote]All 50 US states, Washington, DC, and several US territories are compliant with REAL ID security standards, but only 43% of US IDs are currently compliant, as a result of pandemic-era limitations, DHS said. However, that's up from about 35% around a year ago.

Per a CNN article up now taking about the delay. 43%?!

Guess they didn't really have any choice.

by Anonymousreply 145April 28, 2021 1:40 PM

Just get the ID, if you're too stupid to get the documents, you shouldn't be existing

by Anonymousreply 146April 28, 2021 1:43 PM

As of 15 hours ago:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has extended the deadline for the REAL ID again – this time until May 3, 2023.

So now we have plenty more time for cuntery.

by Anonymousreply 147April 28, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]Just get the ID, if you're too stupid to get the documents, you shouldn't be existing

If you're such a rude motherfucker, you shouldn't be existing either. Try to be human. Try to comprehend others circumstances.

Some people simply don't have all the required documents, especially those who have electricity and gas included with their rent. As an incentive to perspective renters, lots of landlords are now adding electricity, gas and even cable into the rent.

What about people who cannot use an expired passport as a document? How can that person even apply for a new passport without an ID and the other documents? Many people got their passports before 9/11 changed our lives. It's a Catch-22 situation. That's why so many non-drivers never applied for IDs. Many American citizens do not have IDs. FACT.

You are fucking dense. Go suck on something.

by Anonymousreply 148April 28, 2021 2:22 PM

This really is inconsequential if one have already a passport and a standard license driver.

by Anonymousreply 149April 28, 2021 2:37 PM

I think I took care of this in NJ the last time I renewed my license. I hope I did!

I just went to the NJ REAL ID website. My SS card has my middle initial, not my middle name. My birth cert has my middle name. No bills include my middle name and my passport expired about 10 years ago. Should I just renew my passport or get a new SS card with my middle name on it ? Not intending to fly anywhere anytime soon but I like to be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 150April 28, 2021 3:00 PM

There haven't been appointments to get a drivers license in my state in months. I heard they were actually starting to charge $50 just for an appointment, which seems like a bit of a poll tax to me.

I got my Real ID license just before they got slammed with appointments. The whole time I was waiting in line there were calls coming in from people trying to get appointments. It's a mess.

by Anonymousreply 151April 28, 2021 3:21 PM

R132 So who's responsible for marginalization? In the case you cited, I'd say the parents. How does one get social security, Medicare, vaccinated, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits . . .without ID?

by Anonymousreply 152April 28, 2021 3:34 PM

For those who are uncertain if they have a real ID driver's license, just look in the upper right corner. A Real ID license will have a white star surrounded by either a gold or black background, more often than not a circle. California has their white star embedded in the side of a gold bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 28, 2021 3:58 PM

Thanks, R153. I don't have a star or anything else but the NJ State seal. Guess I need a REAL ID.

by Anonymousreply 154April 28, 2021 4:41 PM

They've now extended it another two years.

No appointment here for me recently - walked in, and about an hour later walked out with new, transferred license.

by Anonymousreply 155April 28, 2021 5:05 PM

Amtrak may be saved after all........

by Anonymousreply 156April 28, 2021 5:28 PM

When I renewed my driver's license almost 4 years ago, my new one was a Real ID. I brought the necessary documents. No problems.

by Anonymousreply 157April 28, 2021 7:57 PM

R150 the passport has more value. i would just renew it. My only thing is i always know where my DL is (in my hip pocket ) whereas i could lose track of passport when travelling.

by Anonymousreply 158April 28, 2021 9:20 PM

I went through hell trying to help my 80 year-old mom get her papers in order.

The official, stamped, judge-signed birth certificate in her possession (not the one with footprints) was, we learned, not the official birth certificate. We applied and paid for her birth certificate using the VitalChek portal, but weeks later received a letter saying that due to complications, her request was being sent to the state. Weeks after that, the state contacted with a very confusing letter about the issues (name not on, mother's and father's names lacked the middle name we used when applying, something else) that would require amending.

If we'd had the opportunity to speak with a human being on the phone, it would have helped clarify some of the confusing issues with the birth certificate. Instead, every help line was automated with no human options.

It took over a year to get it all sorted out and she finally received her license last week.

by Anonymousreply 159April 29, 2021 4:41 AM

r158, do it in stages and get the SS Card with your full name. This is the simplest thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 160April 29, 2021 6:00 AM

The US passport card certainly works for all Federal purposes and it's a lot easier to carry around than a passport booklet.

by Anonymousreply 161April 29, 2021 7:33 AM

Isn't the passport card limited to the borders of Canada and Mexico?

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2021 11:28 AM

I carry 4 cards in my money clip, along with some cash:

• Driver's License (non Real ID type)

• Passport Card

• Credit Card

• Debit Card

When I renew a passport, I always opt for both the Passport Book and the Passport Card.

The Passport Card is Real ID, and is easy to carry.

Note that the Passport Book is also Real ID, but is not easy to carry.

Fuck the states and their Real ID Driver's Licenses.

by Anonymousreply 163April 29, 2021 12:16 PM

All my mail goes to my PO Box. My drivers license has that as my address. I pay my electric bill online, no statements. Gas, only for heat so shut off half the year and I don’t get a bill when it’s off. I also have two middle names, my social security card uses one, my passport uses another. The DMV is located in another town, very inconvenient to get to because I don’t actually have a car. I am screwed.

by Anonymousreply 164April 29, 2021 12:24 PM

For utility bills, they should be fine with a printout of your bill clearly showing service at that location with your name as account holder, billing address PO Box irrelevant.

I'm surprised they didn't force your passport to match your name exactly on your birth certificate. I dislike my middle name on everything as my signature has traditionally only included the initial.

Not long after my passport renewal, I realize that I should have ordered the card at the same time. However, ordering the card by itself later really isn't worth it. I almost always use my Global Entry card as ID when requested finding very few people even question it, often curious about the program if they say anything.

by Anonymousreply 165April 29, 2021 2:08 PM

Billing PO Box is irrelevant as proof of residency. A printout of an online bill or other piece of mail addressed to your residence address satisfies that requirement.

One can have a PO Box anywhere, not necessarily the city or town in which one lives.

by Anonymousreply 166April 29, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote]On my birth certificate my given name is what most people would consider a nickname, and when I registered for a social security card as a teenager and filled out forms for school I formalized the name,

So instead of providing your legal name you used the name you wished you would have received.

This is the major reason why people have so much trouble with id authentication services and credit checks etc. They think they can just make shit up.

by Anonymousreply 167April 30, 2021 5:51 AM

Make sure if you go you have different forms of ID. I went in over a year after renewing my passport and their system couldn’t find my passport info, so they asked for my birth certificate, which I didn’t have. So I had to make a 2nd trip after getting a copy, by which then the issue was resolved with passport. Go with as much as you can to avoid wasting time.

by Anonymousreply 168April 30, 2021 6:18 AM

R162 R161 answered that question when he said for Federal purposes which is why it is called the US Passport card.

by Anonymousreply 169June 28, 2021 5:36 AM

Pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 170June 28, 2021 5:51 AM

Several months ago, I had to renew my drivers license. So I figured I would get the real ID. I submitted the required documents online and was told I'd get an email when they were received and approved. No email ever came. I called a number and they didn't know what I was talking about.

So, I gathered my documents and drove to my DMV. Well, a very bitchy lady was sitting at the door telling me that there are no in person appointments. That it would be months before I could get one and was directed to go online to book. I figured out a place that was taking in person appointments, drove there in the rain and it was a line down the building and around the parking lot!!!, a complete shit show. I said F it. I just renewed my regular ID online and it came in the mail. Yes I also have a passport, so that will do. What a pain.

by Anonymousreply 171June 28, 2021 6:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!