Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pennsylvania man photographs a TRANS Cardinal!

ERIE, Pa. – Longtime birder Jamie Hill knew he'd come across something rare.

The Waterford, Pennsylvania, man saw a northern cardinal that appeared to be male on its right side and female on its left.

"It was one of the experiences of a lifetime," Hill said about the bird that was bright red like a male cardinal on one side and brownish white like a female on the other.

Known as a bilateral gynandromorph, he described it as "a bird divided right down the middle, half male and half female" that stood out as "pretty unusual." Hill photographed the cardinal Saturday in trees behind a residence in Warren County, Pennsylvania, about 55 miles southeast of Erie.

He'd been alerted to it by a friend of the homeowner, who wanted to remain anonymous, and Hill didn't want to reveal the exact location.

He said the rare cardinal "behaved totally normal." But, in theory, he said that it could mate with either a female or male cardinal, depending on which of its hormones were active during mating season.

A similar bird recorded by an Erie couple was featured in a National Geographic article in January 2019. That bird, which was red on one side and brown on the other, was spotted and photographed by Jeffrey and Shirley Caldwell.

Daniel Hooper, then a postdoctoral fellow at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, told National Geographic gynandromorphs are uncommon but not unheard of. He also said they're more likely to be noticed in species where the adult males and females look distinct, such as cardinals.

Hooper told the publication the bird photographed by the Caldwells in 2019 could actually be fertile, since the left side of the bird is female and only the left ovary in birds is functional. That appears to be the case with the bird Hill found, as well.

Gynandromorphism in birds likely occurs when the egg from which the bird developed had two different sex chromosomes instead of just one, according to Natural History magazine.

Hill said he didn't know if the bird he saw was the same one as the Caldwells' but he thinks it's unlikely.

He encouraged other birders to keep "your eyes open for this bird or one like it."

Hill, who was accompanied Saturday by friend Annette Smith, said the Warren County bird, which he photographed from his car while the cardinal was in a pine tree, stood out from a distance even without binoculars.

He said he was "excited to photograph it, to scientifically document it."

Hill, 69, who has been watching birds for 48 years, said he'd never seen one comparable with the bilateral gynandromorph northern cardinal.

"This has been the most exciting," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 1:54 PM

I used to have a Cardinal that I would feed. I named him Tulio and he would show up every Spring. Then one year he came and he had a mate with him. I guess he wanted to let me know that he was going to be starting a family and that he would be moving on. I hope they have had a happy life together.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2021 8:59 AM

Very cool! Cardinals as beautiful, especially against the snow...like little pops of red. That's exciting to see one like in OP's photo.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2021 9:03 AM

r1, thank you for your little story this morning. Very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2021 9:05 AM

Honey, my gynandromorphia is flaring up today and I’m feeling a little peaked on one side of my body.

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2021 9:05 AM

I don’t think she wanted her picture taken at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2021 9:08 AM

Nice story R1. Very sweet..

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2021 9:09 AM

[quote]Then one year he came and he had a mate with him. I guess he wanted to let me know that he was going to be starting a family

Or that could have been his best childhood friend and they were just chilling, r1.

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2021 9:09 AM

I thought most Cardinals were trans.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2021 9:12 AM

Just like on Star Search!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2021 9:17 AM

I don't think "trans" is the right word for a mammal with both genders.

What do we even call this phenomenon in humans?

Is there a word for it?

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2021 3:00 PM

The correct term in intersex. The bird is not trans.

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2021 3:03 PM

It doesn’t matter to them, R11. It’s “trans” to them regardless what you say, science, experts, encyclopedias...intersex or hermaphrodite species will be changed to “trans”.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2021 3:10 PM

It's a hermaphrodite.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2021 3:18 PM

R12 fwiw this post is the only time I've ever seen trans used this way. Others are correct this isn't what it means

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2021 3:20 PM

A cardinal outside your house means a dead person from your past is watching you. I’ve got one that’s been looking at my kitchen window all winter. It’s creepy.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 3:44 PM

Don’t they all wear dresses?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2021 3:53 PM

TRANNIES!

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2021 6:38 PM

What are its pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2021 6:40 PM

It would look lovely on a special Victorian hat I have.

Where is it?

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2021 7:03 PM

Gynandromorph? Stephen Maturin would have been ecstatic.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]Pennsylvania man photographs a TRANS Cardinal!

Fanny, you bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2021 8:11 PM

He/She/It is so cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2021 8:12 PM

Such a chubby little bird.

Seems to be gaining a ton of weight, just like Jazz Jennings.

Must be all the hormones he/she/it is taking.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2021 8:13 PM

I love cardinals. I have seen male cardinals feeding young cardinals seeds and nuts I put out on my patio for them.

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2021 8:14 PM

What's on their iPod?

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote] What's on their iPod?

Dude looks like a lady by Aerosmith.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2021 8:21 PM

I call bullshit. Another bit of trans BS.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2021 8:23 PM

Not sure if you're joking R27, but the coloring of the bird is what distinguishes the gender.

So yeah, it's truly both sexes.

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2021 8:25 PM

You mean hermaphrodite?

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2021 8:36 PM

I tend to get mad at hermaphrodites.

“Go fuck yourself,” I tell them.

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2021 8:36 PM

My dog has some gray spots on one side. Is he trans?

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] My dog has some gray spots on one side. Is he trans?

I'm sorry to report that he is.

He'll need to be put to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2021 9:15 PM

Stunning and brave!

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2021 9:29 PM

I never realized that there were so many bird watchers on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 34February 26, 2021 8:41 PM

As said already, this isn’t trans it’s intersex. Which is the “I” in LGBTQQIAA2P+.

by Anonymousreply 35February 26, 2021 9:13 PM

Xir is breaking the cis~normative paradigm!

by Anonymousreply 36February 26, 2021 9:17 PM

Who said this bird is trans besides the troll who made this thread?

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2021 9:21 PM

Old news.

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2021 10:09 PM

Jokes aside...that is very cool and rare. The man that captured it in a photo was very lucky to see it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 27, 2021 11:35 AM

But which bathroom should it be allowed to use.

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2021 4:27 PM

Hermaphrodites are not trans.

They are divine.

by Anonymousreply 41February 27, 2021 4:36 PM

People really seem to love cardinals.

I guess it's their vibrant colors that draws people to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2021 5:55 PM

They're one of my favorite birds. Beautiful..

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 1:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!