Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attention: Bakers

I pulled out some of my baking pans (for muffins or rectangular pan cakes) only to discover rust appearing on some and the coating coming off on others.

Time to junk the old pans and replace them.

I don't use the pans all that often, but can someone recommend some brands.

After all the isolation of the last year, perhaps some of you have been improving your baking skills and can advise.

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 6:42 AM

So many people are baking these days that many pans are in short supply. I tried to buy a Pullman loaf pan a month ago and unless I wanted questionable Chinese materials and workmanship, there was nothing available.

I like Chicago Metallic and USA Pans.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2021 12:24 AM

Use paper cupcake liners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2021 12:37 AM

I second the cup liners, paper or silicone. I can't vouch for the silicone ones yet as I haven't tried them out.

For pans - it all depends on what you're looking for. Since the ones you had appear to be used infrequently, there's no need to go all "Great Jones" or fancy bakeware unless you want to try some.

I second USA pans, the gold tone bakeware from Williams Sonoma is made by USA pans too. Wilton makes nice bakeware, Cuisinart has a large non-stick muffin pan that's pretty good.

Personally, I'd go for stainless steel with a nonstick coating. No, the coating won't last forever but thin aluminum pans mostly bug me. Fat Daddio's are the aluminum exception but they're not thin, those are great baking pans.

And after all that - if it's not a big deal and you just want a damn muffin pan, any cheapo non-stick version you get from Target or at your grocery store will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2021 12:50 AM

Are any of those brands you mention, R3, less likely to rust.

I have some old ones which are slightly rusty but some kind gentleman here (R2 perhaps) suggested in another thread that I could line them with parchment paper.

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2021 12:55 AM

You could line them with parchment paper or save yourself the construction project and use muffin liner cups.

Stainless steel is less likely to rust.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2021 2:03 AM

You can find nicer liners than that. Google then.

Also KitchenAid does a nice starter set with sheet, muffin, loaf and square tins. No stick. I’ve had mine for at least 6 years, no problems. Look at their site.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2021 2:14 AM

I find that most bakers are moving to silicone or thick aluminum.

I love Fat Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2021 2:39 AM

R5 what the hell are you talking about? Nobody uses stainless steel bakeware. Too reflective and uneven baking.

OP has some old Mirro or Club ratchet tinned steel shite. She doesn't care if she eats flakes of tin and rusted steel in her cranberry-nut muffins. Or if her pot roast is full of aluminum, slowly feeding her Alzheimer's. OP, I don't want your stuff.

Fat Daddio's or whatever is okay but I think overpriced for what it is (aluminum) and it scratches and oxidizes gray which can affect baking performance.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2021 3:51 AM

[quote] OP has some old Mirro or Club ratchet tinned steel shite. She doesn't care if she eats flakes of tin and rusted steel in her cranberry-nut muffins. Or if her pot roast is full of aluminum, slowly feeding her Alzheimer's. OP, I don't want your stuff.

Sounds, R8, like you are already suffering from mental deficiencies since what you have written is a fantasy.

Consult a geriatrician as soon as possible. There may be time to salvage some of your remaining brain functions, assuming they existed before.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2021 4:21 AM

R5 parchment paper is an absolute must for the serious baker. Flour, sugar, parchment paper, etc--it's a staple.

R7 agreed, I have some excellent fat daddios 7in cake tins which work great.

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2021 4:37 AM

All those fancy pans are made in China, I guess you know that.

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2021 4:41 AM

I would get something nonstick. I would also buy those cupcake liners. I wouldn’t want to be cutting up parchment paper. You can also use Pam spray.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2021 4:42 AM

Another vote for the USA pans!! Great! Also the All Clad stainless baking sheets are quite nice- use with parchment/silpat for sure!!

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2021 5:02 AM

Williams Sonoma’s 8 x 8, 9 x 9, 13 x 9, 12 well muffin tins gold baking pan are rated number one by America’s Test Kitchen.

If you want a springform pan or a sheet tray NordicWare makes the best.

I bake frequently, and I have all these pans, and I’m very happy at the job they do.

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2021 5:31 AM

I have Fat Daddios in 6,7,8 &9" springform.

With a saw leveler, they make the easiest cakes to decorate.

My dome molds are in silicone.

Don't care where they are made.

r7

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 6:17 AM

I use the Instant Pot brand springform pan--i don't have an instant pot (scary stuff imo) but the size and price of their attachment pans was great.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2021 12:17 PM

I watched a YT vid about using bread flour for rolled egg pasta.

Bought a bag of KA bread flour. We will see.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2021 1:45 PM

If all-purpose flour and bread flour differ by 2% protein content, how can the product be very different?

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 6:12 AM

German - Kaiser

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 6:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!