Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gallup: 5.6% of Americans identify as LGBT; Bisexual identity skyrockets

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Gallup's latest update on lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender identification finds 5.6% of U.S. adults identifying as LGBT. The current estimate is up from 4.5% in Gallup's previous update based on 2017 data.

Currently, 86.7% of Americans say they are heterosexual or straight, and 7.6% do not answer the question about their sexual orientation. Gallup's 2012-2017 data had roughly 5% "no opinion" responses.

The latest results are based on more than 15,000 interviews conducted throughout 2020 with Americans aged 18 and older. Gallup had previously reported annual updates from its 2012-2017 daily tracking survey data, but did not routinely measure LGBT identification in 2018 or 2019.

The identity question asked in 2020 offers a greater level of detail than the question asked in previous years. Now, respondents indicate their precise sexual orientation, rather than simply answering "yes" or "no" to whether they identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Different approaches to measuring LGBT status can produce varying estimates of its incidence in the U.S. population. Results from Gallup's new question do appear comparable to those from its prior question. The 1.1-percentage-point increase in the 2020 estimate (using the new question) compared with the 2017 estimate (using the old question) is about what would have been predicted from the recent trends. The LGBT percentage rose an average of 0.3 points per year in 2016 and 2017. Assuming that trend continued the past three years, the total increase would have been about one percentage point.

Majority of LGBT Americans Identify as Bisexual

More than half of LGBT adults (54.6%) identify as bisexual. About a quarter (24.5%) say they are gay, with 11.7% identifying as lesbian and 11.3% as transgender. An additional 3.3% volunteer another non-heterosexual preference or term to describe their sexual orientation, such as queer or same-gender-loving. Respondents can give multiple responses when describing their sexual identification; thus, the totals exceed 100%.

Rebasing these percentages to represent their share of the U.S. adult population finds 3.1% of Americans identifying as bisexual, 1.4% as gay, 0.7% as lesbian and 0.6% as transgender. Currently, 86.7% of Americans say they are heterosexual or straight, and 7.6% do not answer the question about their sexual orientation. Gallup's 2012-2017 data had roughly 5% "no opinion" responses.

The latest results are based on more than 15,000 interviews conducted throughout 2020 with Americans aged 18 and older. Gallup had previously reported annual updates from its 2012-2017 daily tracking survey data, but did not routinely measure LGBT identification in 2018 or 2019.

The identity question asked in 2020 offers a greater level of detail than the question asked in previous years. Now, respondents indicate their precise sexual orientation, rather than simply answering "yes" or "no" to whether they identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

Different approaches to measuring LGBT status can produce varying estimates of its incidence in the U.S. population. Results from Gallup's new question do appear comparable to those from its prior question. The 1.1-percentage-point increase in the 2020 estimate (using the new question) compared with the 2017 estimate (using the old question) is about what would have been predicted from the recent trends. The LGBT percentage rose an average of 0.3 points per year in 2016 and 2017. Assuming that trend continued the past three years, the total increase would have been about one percentage point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2021 3:13 PM

More than half of LGBT adults (54.6%) identify as bisexual. About a quarter (24.5%) say they are gay, with 11.7% identifying as lesbian and 11.3% as transgender. An additional 3.3% volunteer another non-heterosexual preference or term to describe their sexual orientation, such as queer or same-gender-loving. Respondents can give multiple responses when describing their sexual identification; thus, the totals exceed 100%.

Rebasing these percentages to represent their share of the U.S. adult population finds 3.1% of Americans identifying as bisexual, 1.4% as gay, 0.7% as lesbian and 0.6% as transgender. P LGBT Identification Not Uncommon Among Younger Generations

One of the main reasons LGBT identification has been increasing over time is that younger generations are far more likely to consider themselves to be something other than heterosexual. This includes about one in six adult members of Generation Z (those aged 18 to 23 in 2020).

LGBT identification is lower in each older generation, including 2% or less of Americans born before 1965 (aged 56 and older in 2020).

The vast majority of Generation Z adults who identify as LGBT -- 72% -- say they are bisexual. Thus, 11.5% of all Gen Z adults in the U.S. say they are bisexual, with about 2% each identifying as gay, lesbian or transgender.

About half of millennials (those aged 24 to 39 in 2020) who identify as LGBT say they are bisexual. In older age groups, expressed bisexual preference is not significantly more common than expressed gay or lesbian preference.

by Anonymousreply 1February 24, 2021 12:57 PM

In addition to the pronounced generational differences, significant gender differences are seen in sexual identity, as well as differences by people's political ideology:

Women are more likely than men to identify as LGBT (6.4% vs. 4.9%, respectively). Women are more likely to identify as bisexual -- 4.3% do, with 1.3% identifying as lesbian and 1.3% as something else. Among men, 2.5% identify as gay, 1.8% as bisexual and 0.6% as something else. 13.0% of political liberals, 4.4% of moderates and 2.3% of conservatives say they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. Differences are somewhat less pronounced by party identification than by ideology, with 8.8% of Democrats, 6.5% of independents and 1.7% of Republicans identifying as LGBT. There are no meaningful educational differences -- 5.6% of college graduates and 5.7% of college nongraduates are LGBT. Bottom Line At a time when Americans are increasingly supportive of equal rights for gay, lesbian and transgender people, a growing percentage of Americans identify themselves as LGBT. With younger generations far more likely than older generations to consider themselves LGBT, that growth should continue.

The pronounced generational differences raise questions about whether higher LGBT identification in younger than older Americans reflects a true shift in sexual orientation, or if it merely reflects a greater willingness of younger people to identify as LGBT. To the extent it reflects older Americans not wanting to acknowledge an LGBT orientation, the Gallup estimates may underestimate the actual population prevalence of it.

One of the biggest recent advances in LGBT rights was the legalization of same-sex marriage nationwide. Gallup's new estimates on same-sex marriages and domestic partnerships in the U.S. can be found here.

Learn more about how the Gallup Poll Social Series works.

by Anonymousreply 2February 24, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote]with 11.7% identifying as lesbian and 11.3% as transgender.

Masculine lesbians are the most affected by the trans movement.

by Anonymousreply 3February 24, 2021 12:59 PM

I would like to see racial and ethnic data

by Anonymousreply 4February 24, 2021 1:01 PM

So repressed still. I'll wait till it's 40% gay and 90% bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 5February 24, 2021 1:05 PM

The 7.6% who didn't answer the question might as well have said "gay," so that 5.6% is really 13.2%.

by Anonymousreply 6February 24, 2021 1:06 PM

[quote]So repressed still. I'll wait till it's 40% gay and 90% bisexual.

That will never, ever happen. Male homosexuality will always be shamed.

by Anonymousreply 7February 24, 2021 1:07 PM

I guess it's still not easy for people to identify as who they really are.

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2021 1:08 PM

R7 Mark my wo... Oh never mind. You'll be dead by then.

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote]Mark my wo... Oh never mind. You'll be dead by then.

Thank god. Because the US will look like Iran.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2021 1:11 PM

I would assume the number is closer to 80% at any given small liberal arts college.

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2021 1:13 PM

Why are trannies included. What on EARTH do those people have to do with homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2021 1:14 PM

I’d like to know what this number was 10 years ago. Trans has increased but has gay and lesbian increased too?

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2021 1:15 PM

Looks like “gay” and “lesbian” are decreasing and especially for lesbians. 2002, 22% identified as lesbian, in 2020, 11% do? 11% identify as trans.

It’s 24.5% today; 25% almost 10 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2021 1:23 PM

I find it hard to believe there are as many trans as lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2021 1:24 PM

I am gay. I do not "identify" as LGBT.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2021 1:24 PM

You be you r16.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2021 1:35 PM

Now add the closet cases

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 2:19 PM

[quote] I find it hard to believe there are as many trans as lesbians.

r15 Why not? All this is based on how one identifies or feels inside. You don't need any change to do that; your hetero neighbour can submit as feeling trans. Who knows how many transbians just identified as lesbians?

LGBT means nothing to me, so meaningless grouped together.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 2:48 PM

Mostly straight is a huge and growing category, and some of these people are now identifying as bi or queer

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 3:55 PM

My poll is an estimate from Americans not gay and lesbian respondents.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 4:04 PM

R14 is lying. That wasn't a study about how many people identify as gay, it was about people estimating how man people they THINK are gay

Gay/lesbian identification hasn't decreased, except according to liars who are looking for an excuse to lash out at trans or gender fluid or "woke" people

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 6:23 PM

more like 10% and rising (no pun intended!)....

what if they included the women and men who are attracted to, turned on by, lust after, envied after of the same sex but do NOT do anything about it? if they included THESE numbers it would be way way higher...

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2021 6:43 PM

This is so sad. Trannies are destroying gay and lesbian culture. What used to be a butch lesbian now faces pressure to consider herself a man. When will the trans bubble finally burst?

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2021 11:42 PM

Unreal

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2021 3:21 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 9:48 PM

Still believe that 80% of the world population, left to their own devices and brought up without shame around sex and sexual identity, would be comfortable enough to identify as bisexual and 10% are either gold star straight or gold star gay.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 9:55 PM

While shuffling the deck between gays and bi, this still roughly corresponds to Kinsey's overall finding in 1953. So in three generations the primary change is in labels.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 10:01 PM

I posted this a couple days ago. Similar data but only for college age.

Sexual orientation of males: 87% heterosexual, 5% gay, 5% bisexual, 2% questioning, 1% pansexual

Engaged in sexual activity with a male in the last 12 months: 11% of males said yes.

Females were:

76% heterosexual, 14% bisexual, 3% lesbian, 3% questioning, 2% pansexual, 2% queer, 1% asexual

9% of females said they had a female sex partner in the last 12 months

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 10:02 PM

Not surprised. It's not just women either. I think bi guys who earlier would call themselves straight due to homophobia call themselves bi now due to changing attitudes. Seems like all the queer guys on tiktok are bi these days. I swear I follow more bi guys than gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 30March 8, 2021 10:01 AM

R29 Honestly it's just the last sentence that is interesting. It proves not much has changed in actuality. Gay men still outnumber lesbians. Lots of females call themselves bi but never act on it. Homophobia is stopping guys from doing the same. Though I'd say there has been an uptick in bi guys coming out, they are most likely bi unlike the women who claim to be bi for clout.

by Anonymousreply 31March 8, 2021 10:03 AM

Bi is the new Trans. Have at 'em gurls!

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2021 11:11 AM

A lot of bi and mostly straight dudes are hot and masculine, so this is great

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2021 12:43 PM

Can I identify as bi without having sex with women (shudder).

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2021 1:41 PM

Lesbians are the gift from the goddesses.

by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2021 2:03 PM

R34 Yes, read R29. Lots of women claim to be bi without ever acting on it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2021 2:40 PM

Yes, and more guys identity as nonstraight, mostly straight, Pansexual, and bi who will never have sex with men

by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2021 2:56 PM

Or that awful “queer”, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2021 2:58 PM

It’s all bullshit. It’s the new “goth”.

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2021 2:58 PM

If they're not having sex with men, then what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2021 2:59 PM

Attention R40.

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2021 3:02 PM

R40, the point is awareness that same-sex interest is normal and widespread, and is not some freakish, weird inclination of an aberrant few. If more people openly identify with LGB People, it demystifies and destigmatizes same-sex orientation and activity.

by Anonymousreply 42March 8, 2021 3:07 PM

But if the "activity" is destigmatized but never acted upon......?

by Anonymousreply 43March 8, 2021 3:09 PM

It means fewer people screeching “ewww” at two dudes kissing or holding hands. It means more guys can flirt with other guys without being bashed. It means more men can express attraction to other guys without losing their “man card” Or being ostracized from mainstream males.

by Anonymousreply 44March 8, 2021 3:10 PM

Oh, so mainstream males DON'T dislike gay guys now? So glad we've finally reached that point. Datalounge has been telling me otherwise for so long.

by Anonymousreply 45March 8, 2021 3:12 PM

R44 once again, DL undermines women's negative reactions to make homo/bisexuality

Almost 70% of women surveyed by the generally liberal Cosmopolitan magazine have said that they wouldn't date a guy whose been with another man at least once

That's a huge hurdle and women need to be called out for thos anti gay/bi male views

It's ok for THEM to experiment but not men

Fuck them

by Anonymousreply 46March 8, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote]If more people openly identify with LGB People, it demystifies and destigmatizes same-sex orientation and activity.

But it doesn’t. These individuals are not in same sex relationships, they’re only in opposite sex according to Gallup. It doesn’t distigmify anything. If anything it stigmatizes because people only see these so-called gays and bisexuals in only opposite sex relationships. It’s all for attention; it’s all for clicks.

by Anonymousreply 47March 8, 2021 3:34 PM

Can't get attention on Tik Tok by simply being straight. Well, unless you're "superstraight". But then you (and your parents) will get death threats from the TRA crowd.

by Anonymousreply 48March 8, 2021 3:43 PM

Everyone’s fluidity is innate. Social norms have quashed free thinking and naturally occurring urges.

by Anonymousreply 49March 8, 2021 4:49 PM

The most important stat: “0.6% are transgender “

Less than 1%!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50March 8, 2021 7:12 PM

r50 TRAs would have you believe their issues are bigger problems than what they are. I would love to know the percentage of queer/non binary and other nonsense in the communtiy.

by Anonymousreply 51March 8, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote] TRAs would have you believe their issues are bigger problems than what they are.

LOL. They are not the ones trying to make SUPERSTRAIGHT happen. They are not the ones who think Trans are such a big threat that they need to push anti trans legislation. They are not the ones trolling DL to drop the T.

The opposition is the one making Trans a bigger deal than they really are. That's the truth. Why? Divide & Conquer. Picking on the legitimately weakest group of the LGBT Community.

by Anonymousreply 52March 8, 2021 8:03 PM

R48 That might be true for some, but not all. It's very easy to tell who's lying about their sexuality and who isn't. If someone comes out as bi but is never in a relationship, that's sus. Especially because most tiktokers are good looking so would have no trouble finding a partner. Thankfully most of the bi guys I follow are actually in same sex relationships.

by Anonymousreply 53March 9, 2021 5:07 AM

I love hot bi bros

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2021 9:42 AM

Guys online only say they're bi to get more dick or ass. We know they're just homos trying to shame the gullible.

by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2021 11:42 AM

r54, he's hot

by Anonymousreply 56March 20, 2021 11:52 AM

Everybody is a little bit bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 57March 20, 2021 2:12 PM

Generation Bi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 21, 2021 11:37 PM

In order to be T, you should have to have full surgery and lived like that for five full years. And bisexuals should have to have actually fucked someone of the same sex before they can claim bisexuality. Bunch of liars who want attention by glombing onto an actual repressed and discriminated against group of people, namely the gays and lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 59March 21, 2021 11:42 PM

*glomming

by Anonymousreply 60March 21, 2021 11:43 PM

Song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2021 5:50 PM

Gen Z bisexuals are flexing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 31, 2021 7:34 PM

I always thought non-binary was made up by the beauty industry to sell more purple hair dye.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2021 7:58 PM

Everybody is bisexual, really. It’s just the preferences that are more pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 64March 31, 2021 8:06 PM

I met a male bisexual once. He had a girlfriend who lived in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] If they're not having sex with men, then what's the point?

R40 Exactly, if you’re not getting dick - you are missing out, big time. dick is awesome, dick rules!

by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2021 8:23 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 67April 8, 2021 9:54 PM

R66, people like different things. Ya know, Diversity, tolerance

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2021 10:10 PM

Complicated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2021 10:10 PM

I think it’s about definition of what’s “gay”. Millions of “straight” guys have no problem with fooling around with another guy, but don’t consider themselves gay.

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2021 10:29 PM

If they are straight, they aren’t gay

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2021 10:36 PM

I love bisexuals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2021 3:39 PM

Bi behavior and bi identity are quite different.

Under the right circumstances there a some guys who will go for anything that moves but would never consider themselves gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2021 3:52 PM

90% of people are bisexual, to some extent. Of course most will never admit it, and some are so afraid of their bisexuality they overcompensate with phobia, anger, violence, and religious quackery.

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2021 4:18 PM

most people are deep-down sluts

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2021 4:24 PM

But no marriage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 10, 2021 3:14 PM

Side bf

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2021 11:58 PM

They need to do an update survey

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2021 5:31 PM

The problem is that people are identifying as LGBT just because of irrelevant things. Bi men who are actually gay and don't want to be put into the whole "I like dick" category, people who identify as trans just because they like boy/girl things, or even the non-binary bullshit (which is purely a political thing). With this being said, of course society is more accepting today and more people who are truly LGBT are coming out without the fear of getting harassed, disowned, or even killed, therefore making those numbers higher. But with this factor, plus the people "identifying" LGBT because just because of random shit, of course would make the numbers go even higher.

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2021 6:12 PM

The mostly straight category is really exciting. More hot, masculine dudes open to occasional or situational messing around with other dudes is exciting

by Anonymousreply 80August 3, 2021 2:36 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 81November 9, 2021 11:45 AM

People are calling themselves bi or non-binary because it’s trendy.

by Anonymousreply 82November 9, 2021 12:02 PM

[quote] Currently, 86.7% of Americans say they are heterosexual or straight,

Bisexuality in men is almost universal. The number of true heterosexuals is probably around 30% .

by Anonymousreply 83November 9, 2021 3:07 PM

5% is about right for gay/bisexual. The Kinsey 10% thing was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2021 3:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!