Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

This 105-Year-Old Beat COVID. She Credits Gin-Soaked Raisins.

Ask Lucia DeClerck how she has lived to be 105, and she is quick with an answer.

“Prayer. Prayer. Prayer,” she offers. “One step at a time. No junk food.”

But surviving the coronavirus, she said, also may have had something to do with another staple: the nine gin-soaked golden raisins she has eaten each morning for most of her life.

“Fill a jar,” she explained. “Nine raisins a day after it sits for nine days.”

Her children and grandchildren recall the ritual as just one of DeClerck’s endearing lifelong habits, like drinking aloe juice straight from the container and brushing her teeth with baking soda. (That worked, too: She did not have a cavity until she was 99, relatives said.)

“We would just think, ‘Grandma, what are you doing? You’re crazy,’” said her 53-year-old granddaughter, Shawn Laws O’Neil, of Los Angeles. “Now the laugh is on us. She has beaten everything that’s come her way.”

It is a long list. Born in 1916 in Hawaii to parents who came from Guatemala and Spain, she lived through the Spanish flu, two world wars and the deaths of three husbands and a son.

She moved to Wyoming, California and back to Hawaii before finally arriving in New Jersey, where she lived with her oldest son. After turning 90, she moved to an adult community in Manahawkin, New Jersey, along the Jersey Shore, where she remained active until she injured herself in a fall about four years ago.

“She is just the epitome of perseverance,” O’Neil said. “Her mind is so sharp. She will remember things when I was a kid that I don’t even remember.”

DeClerck, the oldest resident of her South Jersey nursing home, learned that she had contracted the virus on her 105th birthday, Jan. 25, the day after she had gotten her second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, according to Michael Neiman, the home’s administrator.

At first, she said she was scared. She did not like being isolated, and she missed the daily chatter from the parade of caregivers at Mystic Meadows Rehabilitation and Nursing, a 120-bed facility in Little Egg Harbor.

She showed few symptoms, Neiman said. And within two weeks she was back in her room, holding her rosary beads and wearing her trademark sunglasses and knit hat.

To her two surviving sons, five grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren and 11 great-great grandchildren, who call her Grandma Lucia, she has a new moniker, O’Neil said: “The 105-year-old badass who kicked COVID.”

On Monday, she got a shout-out from Gov. Phil Murphy, who described a phone call with her during a coronavirus news briefing.

“What an uplifting conversation,” the governor said.

DeClerck’s family gathered in January 2020 at Mystic Meadows to celebrate her 104th birthday before the onset of the pandemic. When they learned that she had contracted the virus, they braced for the worst.

“We were very concerned,” her son, Phillip Laws, 78, said.

“But she’s got a tenacity that is unbelievable,” he added. “And she’s got that rosary — all the time.”

A devout Catholic, DeClerck led rosary prayers each week at the nursing home and, before the pandemic, was a fixture at weekly Mass.

She raised three sons and ran a corner store for decades with her first husband, Henry Laws Jr., in Los Angeles. She married twice more after returning to Hawaii, where she worked as a home health aide and welcomed grandchildren for summerlong visits.

DeClerck is one of 62 residents of Mystic Meadows to have contracted the virus; four patients died, including three who were receiving hospice care, Neiman said.

“We’re as careful as possible,” he said, “but this finds a way of sneaking in.”

In January, residents were being tested twice a week, and a rapid test in the last week of the month showed that DeClerck had contracted the virus.

“At first she was a little apprehensive, a little scared, but she said, ‘God will protect me,’” Neiman said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2021 10:35 PM

She had also been vaccinated, which most likely contributed to her recovery. The first studies of Britain’s mass inoculation program showed strong evidence Monday that even one dose of vaccine can help slash coronavirus-related hospitalizations.

DeClerck is not the oldest person to beat the virus.

Europe’s oldest-known resident, Sister André, contracted the virus at 116. She celebrated with a glass of Champagne on her 117th birthday earlier this month at a nursing home in Toulon, a city in southeastern France.

Like Sister André, DeClerck may be ready for a toast.

But it is likely to involve gin and a handful of golden raisins. Her family is following suit.

“Now all of us are rushing out and getting Mason jars and yellow raisins and trying to catch up,” O’Neil said.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 11:00 PM

She definitely posts here.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 11:03 PM

No gin and regrets for her.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 11:04 PM

Tell me again, I don't understand, soak a jar of rasins with rum? How much to add?

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 11:11 PM

just drink the rum.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 11:20 PM

My great grandmother lived to be 103 years old, and her nursing home allowed her to have a 4oz glass of red wine every night right up until she passed away. She had dementia, and spoke German 99% of the time (her mother tongue) but always remembered to ask for her wine. I think it’s nice when older people get to continue with their routines...it bothers me when caretakers treat them like children.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 11:26 PM

[quote] "It is a long list. Born in 1916 in Hawaii to parents who came from Guatemala and Spain, she lived through the Spanish flu, two world wars and the deaths of three husbands and a son."

It's one thing to list events, but it's amazing to think about the changes she's seen in her lifetime. She was born in 1916! Amazing. I hope she lives for sometime to come.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 11:30 PM

She doesnt really look that alive in the pic...

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 11:34 PM

I love hearing about all of those old-time, questionable, folksy remedies people of a certain era cling to. I had a nonna like this. Not medically sound stuff, but oh well, it seems to help them.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 11:37 PM

I believe she's the gin-soaked barroom queen from Memphis that Mick Jagger sang about.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote] DeClerck is not the oldest person to beat the virus.

[quote] Europe’s oldest-known resident, Sister André, contracted the virus at 116. She celebrated with a glass of Champagne on her 117th birthday earlier this month at a nursing home in Toulon, a city in southeastern France.

Rofl!

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 11:37 PM

Whatever. That woman’s been Weekending at Bernie’s for twelve years. The apparent breathing is actually a nest of rats in her diaphragm. Rats love gin-soaked raisins.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 11:37 PM

She's a bad muthafucka!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 11:38 PM

Good for her

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 11:49 PM

I thought it is a skull in the pic

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 11:51 PM

She looks like a gin soaked raisin, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 11:53 PM

9 gin raisins a day keep the covid away.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2021 6:16 AM

Are we 100% sure she beat it?

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 6:39 AM

“Bitch knows what she did.”

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 6:48 AM

Instead of crediting the gin raisins, shouldn't she credit the TWO DOSES of vaccine she received?! I am admittedly not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure the literal covid vaccine protects you better from covid than the raisins.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 11:08 AM

^A lot of older, depression-era ladies like this are always a bit skeptical of modern medicine, choosing to credit their witches' brew of teas, ointments, and other unorthodox remedies.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 4:19 PM

She's just gin soaked.

PERIOD.

Pickled, actually.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 5:31 PM

My grandmother is 94 and got Covid in the nursing home. She didn’t get very sick at all and is fine now.

And then there are young, fit and healthy people who die from it. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2021 2:52 AM

Is she a verified 105, or one of those "lost-birth-certificate-family-lore" 105?

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2021 10:34 PM

She looks like a slestack alien from Land of the Lost

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2021 10:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!