Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: 'High Note,' an 1876 Wiscasset, Maine house, $399,000

A 4-bedroom, 2.5 bath house of 3700 square feet, in town on 2-acres. Operated as a bed & breakfast for 27 years (with an owner's apartment in the attached carriage house), it's easily returned to single-family use.

Some if the modern millwork and bathrooms have a bit of a 1980s look -- and especially the kitchen which seems to have little if anything to recommend it. But all day fixes, and the original details are nicely intact; it's just the last wave of "improvemts" that need some undoing. The details are good, inside and out, bit I especially like the proportions and volumes of the rooms, light-filled spaces with big windows and simple, elegant details, all well preserved it seems.

It has baseboard heat as many New England houses do. Efficient but ugly and it always stands out to me. There are much better heating units/covers than the current sardine tin style.

Wiscasset is an attractive small town (3700 pop.) and has some other good architecture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 11:08 AM

Are there sharks in that river?

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 10:47 PM

How do you say Wiscasset? wiss-CASS-uht?

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 10:49 PM

It’s definitely a nice building but what’s with the weird decor? The random and aimless placement of the chairs in the first floor is creepy for some reason. Also that horrific tub that’s embedded in the floor... NEXT TO THE TOILET? Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 10:51 PM

There's not a single room in it that looks comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 10:53 PM

It's a lovely Victorian, but I'm betting there are a lot of plumbing problems with the winter freeze and cooling problems in the summer. For a lake house it's oddly fussy. Too much work...

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 10:53 PM

Except for the kitchen it's a wonderful home. I would have to make sure I didn't drink while bathing though or that tub would freak me the hell out

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 10:54 PM

Yeah. That's a reminder that a sunken bath is good only when is it first raised up a bit, or has broad steps leading down into it. In any case, it's dead wrong there.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 11:03 PM

Ornate Victorian architecture is among my very least favorite styles. So, no.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 11:09 PM

I've been through Wiscasset on my way to Boothbay Harbor. I absolutely adore Maine, and it's remarkably similar to my home state of West Virginia.

Anyway, if I were going to spend that kind of money for a home in Maine, it would be a more modest18th Century home, much closer to the water. I LOVE the austerity of the Saltbox style, and it's at the top of my list of preferences.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 11:26 PM

It will look a thousand times better when the furniture is removed, and most of the pictures. Far too many pictures - and they have the effect of making the place weirdly claustrophobia-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 11:37 PM

I kind of like it. The kichen layout is small, but I do like the paint color. This would be perfect for someone into furniture upholstery 'cause that would have to be done. That is if, you get the paintings and the furniture too? The frames are great.

Is this a nice area of Maine? Looks like it is near a lake too.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 11:50 PM

Great house, but the kitchen looks like it's in an RV. Remove all the crap, paint, add new furniture, and it's great. Those upstairs bedrooms with the large windows are very nice.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 11:54 PM

First, there is too much artwork. Second, it is almost entirely ordinarily framed prints behind glass of more well known paintings. Coupled with the mish-mash of furniture, odd wall colors, and general clutter it makes the whole place look dreary.

The sunken tub is bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 11:57 PM

Absolutely, R7. This bathtub installation is just as bizarre as it is impractical.

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 11:59 PM

Hideous to start with and made worse with every "improvement" over the last 145 years.

That entry and hallway.

And I know they can/would be ripped out immediately, but that rug on the stairs is enough to require an exorcism and burying the stairs in hoodoo salt for three months.

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2021 12:01 AM

The realtor needs to be fired. The presentation is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2021 12:04 AM

Agreed, R16. I'm not a realtor, but sweet Jeebus I could do better with a drink in one hand and a dick in the other.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2021 12:06 AM

Wiscasset is known as "The Prettiest Village in Maine".

It's about an hour from Portland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 12:17 AM

I have recently been horrified at how right wing some of New England is. Is this a liberal area?

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 12:36 AM

Wisscasset is very pretty but Rt 1 runs right through the center of town. It is hell with traffic in the summer. Sometimes it is backed up for miles. They really need to reroute it like they did for Damariscotta.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 11:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!