Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Team Plantagenet or Team Tudor?

Are you with the Richard III Society, which believes that he was a good king wrongfully deposed by the usurper Henry VII, who immediately set about smearing him as the scoliotic serial killer portrayed in Shakespeare's play?

Or do you think that since the discovery of Richard's skeleton revealed he actually was "bunchbacked" mean that he probably did kill his nephews in the Tower and all the rest of it, and that Britain was probably better off under the gangsta king Henry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 10:55 PM

Richard III was a usurper himself though.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 2:59 PM

Team Tudor: were it not for the largely forgotten Henry VII, we wouldn't have had the far more interesting Henry VIII, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth I.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Team Plantagenet! I read “Daughter of Time”.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 3:10 PM

R1 Was not! I truly believe that those little bastard Princes really WERE bastards. If we want to talk usurpers, let's go back to the first Lancastrian king, Henry IV, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 3:11 PM

Henry's claim to the throne was whisper thin at best, but he defeated Richard in battle, so the point is moot.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 6:38 PM

My lineage traces back to the House of Plantagenet but the Tudors had such a profound impact on history. Chances are that I wouldn’t exist had they not taken over.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 6:51 PM

I'm still trying to remember the Norman conquest and you confront me with this?

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 6:54 PM

[QUOTE] R6 My lineage traces back to the House of Plantagenet.

You and tens of millions of other people of British descent.

[BOLD] [italic] "There is an extremely high probability that a modern English person with predominantly English ancestry descends from Edward III, at a very minimum over 99%, and more likely very close to 100%. The number of descendants of Edward III must therefore include nearly all of the population of England, and probably much of the populations of the rest of the UK and Eire, as well as many millions in the USA, former British colonies and Europe, so 100 million seems a conservative estimate." [/italic] [/BOLD]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 7:31 PM

Team Tudor. VIII told those bastard Catholics where to go, so England would forever be free of papal control.

He was a bit of a Pagan icon, really. Shame about the misogyny, but there you have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 7:36 PM

As with Woody and Mia, I'm with Team They're Both Assholes! Both sides of an argument can be wrong, and proving one side wrong doesn't prove the other side correct; proving one party in a fight to be an awful person doesn't prove the other is good. So...

Richard flat-out stole the throne from his nephew, and in turn Henry Tudor flat-out stole the throne from Richard.

By the time Tudor was left as the last man standing, there was nothing left to say but "Fine, you're king even though your dynastic claim is pathetic, anything as long as the fighting stops!". That, and "Have fun trying to rule the nightmare world you helped to create, you evil bastard".

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 8:56 PM

Worked out pretty well for his descendants though, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 9:54 PM

After a lot of research over the years I concluded Richard III was a fine military guy and a shit politician who trusted the wrong people.. Margaret Beaufort and Lord Stafford killed the two boys. She was Henry Tudor's mother.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!