Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Outrage expressed about the racism and inequality of the board game "Monopoly".

Take a good look at a Monopoly board. The most expensive properties, Park Place and Boardwalk, are marked in dark blue. Maybe you’ve drawn a card inviting you to “take a walk on the Boardwalk.” But that invitation wasn’t open to everyone when the game first took on its current form. Even though Black citizens comprised roughly a quarter of Atlantic City’s overall population at the time, the famed Boardwalk and its adjacent beaches were segregated.

Jesse Raiford, a realtor in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in the early 1930s and a fan of what players then called “the monopoly game,” affixed prices to the properties on his board to reflect the actual real-estate hierarchy at the time. And in Atlantic City, as in so much of the rest of the United States, that hierarchy reflects a bitter legacy of racism and residential segregation.

Cyril and Ruth Harvey, friends of Raiford’s who played a key role in popularizing the game, lived on Pennsylvania Avenue (a pricey $320 green property on the board); their friends, the Joneses, lived on Park Place. The Harveys had previously lived on Ventnor Avenue, one of the yellow properties that represented some of Atlantic City’s wealthier neighborhoods, with their high walls and fences and racial covenants that excluded Black citizens.

The Harveys employed a Black maid named Clara Watson. She lived on Baltic Avenue in a low-income, Black neighborhood, not far from Mediterranean Avenue. On the Monopoly board, those are priced cheapest, at $60.

------------

And then some gentrifier builds a fancy hotel there and kicks out all the original tenants

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2021 9:24 PM

I'd love to go back to the days when you could pay $60 for an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 11:39 PM

Save your outrage for [italic]Candy Land[/italic] for creating several generations of fatsos.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 11:40 PM

I'm all out of eye rolls.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 11:40 PM

I'm more outraged at that old E.T. board game!

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 11:42 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2021 3:13 PM

The article is about the history of Monopoly, written by a woman who just wrote a whole book on it, and it's not some "woke outrage" article like OP claims.

I feel really sorry for the people who let themselves be manipulated by trolls like OP.

by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2021 3:24 PM

Oh my! Something something adjacent to something racist in the past. I’m shocked beyond belief that something that comes from America’s past has something to do with something that was somehow traced in some way to segregation.

by Anonymousreply 7March 20, 2021 3:35 PM

Every town/city is like that.

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2021 3:44 PM

WHO FUCKING CARES!?!

by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2021 3:51 PM

Lesson learned from Monopoly- The banker always wins.

by Anonymousreply 10March 20, 2021 3:54 PM

I always had to be the fucking IRON. PMO.

by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2021 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!