Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Worst Boss

My last one is a well known psycho in Toronto’s gay community. Serious anger issues. None of their reports lasted even a year under them and they’ve made colleagues break down in tears.

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2021 3:07 AM

The worst was my dad. He wouldn't pay me!

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 10:10 PM

Guess.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 10:18 PM

I think I know the dude in OP ... They got banned from the 519 after cursing out the ED.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 10:20 PM

Present one. He probably has Asperger's or something. He is unable to change or improve anything. He keeps telling us how he's "been here 13 years!" and you just know nothing has changed since the first day he started (including cleaning; there is dust literally an inch thick in the corners). Will not take suggestions. Patronizes, browbeats and bellows. Just awful. Fires people on the spot.

But we're supposed to "be glad you got a job", in this nasty economy, like good little sheeple.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 10:32 PM

That’s a can of worms that I don’t want to get into right now.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 10:33 PM

Guess.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 10:34 PM

My last was my absolute worst. But that's okay, she's now an unemployable alcoholic and I now work alone.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 10:35 PM

My worst boss was from an aristocratic French family. He took 3 hour lunches, after showing up at 10 am, leaving at 4. It was good, as he did absolutely no work, but he surely was paid every cent promised. He was such a condescending prick, but he married a very stereotypical American Princess, and I really hope she is living up to her potential, and making his life a living hell.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 10:39 PM

How do folks like OP’s boss remain employed?

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 10:41 PM

Current boss forbids us from making medical/dental appointments during work hours. She says we can only have medical appointments at night (after 6pm) or on weekends. I was injured on the job, and she told me I would need to use PTO for any physical therapy appointments. I would need to use a full day of vacation for each appointment since she only approves a full day of leave for any absence.

Last year she advised me to save my vacation days in case I (or any family members) came down with COVID since the company does not offer paid sick leave. I only get 5 days of PTO per year, so have not taken any time off in the 2 years I have worked for the company. This year she has said that we can only get a COVID vaccine on weekends (or take a vacation day for each absence).

My job is not all that important; I stock shelves in a grocery store in the US.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 10:43 PM

R10, don't ever take your boss's/HR's word for it. Contact your state's Dept. of Labor and ask them if there are any labor laws addressing any of this. Employers count on their employees not knowing that they may have legal rights on the job that contradict what the employer tells them. Lying to their workers is just another part of the exploitation process.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 10:57 PM

For our Christmas bonus, my worst boss gave us all an envelope with a lottery ticket and a piece of paper we had to sign that stated we must share 50% with him if we won anything. That was our whole Christmas bonus. I didn't sign, and then I quit.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 11:05 PM

I had a boss starting out in LA who worked out of his apartment. There were three of us. He had a staff meeting while taking a shit. I kid you not, held the door open with his foot. The one woman in our office could not see him. She walked in the living room and screamed at him to close the door. He once threw a stapler at the head of one of my co-workers. Missed him by an inch. Would have seriously hurt him if it hit him.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 11:07 PM

The one who made me have a 10 am conference call on New Years Day, while he was at an agricultural fair. I could hear mooing.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 11:11 PM

R9 Usually assholes like that know who to try it with

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 11:12 PM

Hala Moddelmogg --- yeah, that's a real name. She's a fucking Adderall‐addicted hag who runs away from her problems by hopping on a plane. Fat-shaming, self-righteous turd who OUTLAWED birthday treats, etc in the workplace and shamed people who admitted to needing 8 hours of sleep at night. She's a HORROR. And now this ex Church's Chicken exec is leading an ARTS consortium in Atlanta. This creep is beyond TONE DEAF.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 11:19 PM

R13 Why did you even take a job there? WHET him?

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 11:22 PM

Previous one was mentally unstable attacked mentally against employers talked behind their backs and tried to get them fighting with each other. The atmosphere became crazy and paranoid. After one conversation which turned ugly I decided I had to leave. Found a new and better place. Feel sorry for those, who had to stay.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 11:23 PM

r17 - It was not always like that - he was intense and did not handle stress well. I learned a lot from him and he had really good connections. This is entertainment in the late 90s. Gweneth was blowing Harvey for an oscar,

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 11:34 PM

Come the revolution, the B-word will be eliminated and treated as hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 11:35 PM

Let's just say she's no friend of flight attendants.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 11:37 PM

I've had lots of horrible bosses in retail. The kind of people that my husband says want to feel important so they abuse everybody else who works with them.

My last employer was a liar and messed with my hours in the computer system without me knowing. I reported her to HR and they did nothing. (It's quite possible that my HR rep reads datalounge--except that I don't think he's interesting enough to be into this. Hi if you're reading this!) I started having panic attacks again from not knowing what to do since I felt so stuck. My psychiatrist took me out of work and my kids made a voodoo doll of my boss. Eventually the store closed due to covid and now I am collecting! I don't believe in voodoo but the store did close. I don't know what happened to my boss but she's probably collecting too.

I've had arguments with my husband about wishing someone dead. He says it's a terrible thing to do. I say that you can't help your feelings, only your actions. If someone is so mean to others that their staff wishes they would die in a firery wreck (can't spell), then that person (the mean boss) is the one with the problem. I have wished on numerous retail bosses.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 11:38 PM

R10 your job has value to everyone. Work is work. I am sorry your boss is such an asshole, or the company that employs both of you. A lot of self-important people had wake up calls in 2020 and realized that people going out to work in a pandemic were making society keep going. I hope there is a change in Dillinger capitalist USA and you get more respect and money and a reasonable life. You're doing so much more for us than the politicians in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 11:56 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2021 6:32 PM

My former boss was not only an insecure dimwit but she hated her job. She wanted to be an artist on a pedestal and not a grunt like the rest of us so she pawned too much work onto us yet ran to take all the credit. She ended up costing the company a lot of money to fix her mistakes but they didn't fire her, they just moved her to a different department. I hope that this means that I'll never get fired, either.

We come in contact once in a while and it's all smiles but I know the nasty shit she said about me and I'm sure that she's been made aware of the nasty shit I said about her.

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2021 6:39 PM

by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2021 3:39 AM

My last was just trash. She came from some scary feral family and had a brood of children by different men. She was always fighting with her loser boyfriend and would take her bad moods out on her employees.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2021 3:47 AM

The Worst EVAH was named Beverly and was the Director of Development for a major Performing Arts Center that was (when I began work there) just beginning construction. She hired me because I had just written a successful NEA Challenge Grant, and had shepherded it through the evaluation process. It netted the arts center I was working for then around $10M. She was a micromanaging control freak, who was also paranoid that anyone who was good at their job was out to get her. I called in sick with a raging sinus infection after I'd been working for her for five months. Her response "This is a really bad time to be sick," and told me I'd need to give her copies of my prescriptions and any paperwork from my doctor. I lasted 8 months, and left when I got a job with another arts organization. I left after 8 months, I had last longer than any other Assistant Director. When I gave notice, she said "I knew you'd never work out," to which I replied "Then why in the name of good sense would you hire me?" She demanded that I give her a month's notice before moving on to my next job. I said I would be happy to, and 8 days later went to lunch and never came back. I ran into her at an arts event 4 or 5 years later. The reception was chilly, on both parts.

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2021 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!