Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t John Goodman win an Emmy for Roseanne?

He is the heart and soul of the show, a formidable character. And Goodman is a respected stage actor like Metcalf- who won 3 Emmys in a row for the show.

I can’t believe he never won.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 10:29 AM

Even Roseanne won an Emmy - BEATING - Candice Bergen, Kirstie Alley & Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 2:50 PM

He made it look too easy?

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 2:52 PM

I agree. He had some great episodes, like the one where he lost his bike shop and Becky blamed him for the family's misfortune before running away to elope. Then there was the episode where Becky came back and Dan gave her the cold shoulder. And the episodes that dealt with his absent dad and his mentally ill mother.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 2:53 PM

He didn’t deserve an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 2:55 PM

John Goodman is a fine actor. However, in the show 'Roseanne' he is the straight man to the antics of all the crazy women. Therefore, while Dan Conner is a fine role, it is not award material.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 2:58 PM

Not a fan of the current incarnation... too much drama for a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 6:07 PM

I've heard that Goodman wasn't very good at submitting episodes for Emmy consideration, and that really mattered a great deal during the '80s and '90s, when I think voters judging a category had to show up to a screening and watch the five submissions for a category back-to-back. Now, Emmy voters have to affirm that they watched all the submissions, but that doesn't mean they actually do.

That's also why Candice Bergen won so many times during that era. She was great at picking the right episodes, which usually had some huge comic showcase for her.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] She was great at picking the right episodes, which usually had some huge comic showcase for her.

The irony is that the one episode Roseanne picked to win the Emmy (and BEAT Candice Bergen), was a dramatic episode where Roseanne comes to terms with her father's death (who was abusive to her)

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 6:27 PM

Candice was also Hollywood royalty in a show about television news, hence why Emmy voters awarded her so often that she ultimately had to withdraw her name from consideration.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 6:27 PM

I checked, and it looks like he lost to Kelsey Grammar and John Lithgow several times, but also Ted Danson and Richard Mulligan.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 7:08 PM

The Emmys both daytime and and primetime were judged by blue ribbon panels back then consisting of members from across all the branches. As mentioned above they would have to show up to vote and would watch both episodes submitted by the nominees and then vote on the spot. Now, they probably do it at home, probably not watch the episodes (which I think now is online) and vote for friends and recognizable names. They have gotten better int he last 5-10 years on the awards because previous ANY movie star doing any kind of of role would win regardless of how good some of the other nominees were deserving. I do think he deserved to win a at least once. He was actually nominated almost every year of the show and many times more than Roseanne herself.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 7:15 PM

He was a drunk. Popular, but a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 7:35 PM

I feel that Goodman should've been nominated for an Oscar by now.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 7:39 PM

What R11 said.

And given that anything not on streaming, Showtime, FX or HBO is considered to be second rate crap, that means winners few Flyoverstanis have ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 7:40 PM

Not to mention the Nobel Peace Prize R13

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 7:41 PM

R15, I thought Goodman was great in 10 Cloverfield Lane and Flight.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 7:42 PM

Never watched the show, not one single episode, so have no comment.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 7:48 PM

OP Have you seen him? Big as a house!

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 7:49 PM

So is (Emmy winner) Chrissy Metz, r18.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 7:59 PM

Chrissy Metz never won an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 8:25 PM

He won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 8:39 PM

Oh sorry. Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 8:40 PM

DOES HE STILL HAVE A GAY LOVER IN NOLA ??

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 8:40 PM

One thing I've always hated about the Emmys is that they would award the same person or show three, five, seven times. If someone has three Emmys, they don't have to be a hog and submit over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 8:44 PM

Candice Bergen winning five Emmys for her monotonous line readings and a completely unfunny performance in Murphy Brown is a travesty. The wooden bitch didn't deserve to even be nominated let alone win five times. Talk about nepotism and privilege.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 8:48 PM

Miss Victoria Sleestack has won 6 emmys! I only have 1 and am a jealous bitch!

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 9:06 PM

Fat shaming.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 9:11 PM

So what of his size r18? That has nothing to do with his acting ability.

Btw, he’s fat and famous.

You’re just fat.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 9:30 PM

He deserved an Emmy for his turn as Linda Tripp. Probably one of the last times I've laughed out loud during SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]Even Roseanne won an Emmy - BEATING - Candice Bergen, Kirstie Alley & Helen Hunt

Candice had already won three times, and Kirstie won one when Roseanne finally got hers. If anything, it was like "What finally took them so long?" because the show had been on for five years by that point. Roseanne was actually predicted to win the previous season, when she got her first nomination, but Candice walked away with it largely due to the sympathy vote over Dan Quayle trashing Bergen and Murphy Brown. Roseanne didn't even bother to show up to accept when she won, because she didn't think she had a chance in winning.

Other than Metcalf, the show did not get much love by the academy. Zero nominations for Best Comedy Series which is baffling in hindsight. And the year John Goodman decided to pull his name from submission, they snubbed everyone. It was not a popular show with the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 9:43 PM

John's episode submissions:

1989: Dan's Birthday Bash

1990: Born to be Wild

1991: Her Boyfriends Back

1992: The Back Story

1993: Terms of Estrangement Part 2

1994: Guilt by Imagination

1995: The Blaming of the Shrew

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

R8, this typified the Emmy submissions of the 80s and 90s -- send in the most dramatic episode you have for consideration of a comedy award. Even actors think drama is "more worthy" than fine comedic turns.

This was the in line with the "very special episode" curse of TV comedies.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 9:52 PM

This one: 1992: The Back Story - was his finest work on Roseanne and would be Emmy worthy for any show, any year.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote] Never watched the show, not one single episode, so have no comment.

And yet you commented!

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 10:50 PM

I always thought there was something smug about his performance in Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] I feel that Goodman should've been nominated for an Oscar by now.

I agree. His King Ralph was up there with Olivier, Richardson and Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 11:00 PM

Haven't there been gay rumors about him for a long time?

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 10:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!