Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DataLoungers, tell me all about France's banlieue

These are apparently working class suburbs that ring France's larger cities. Are they full of hot blue collar guys who will fix your rear tire? Do they all get a free baguette every day? Could we expect to see a hot guy sporting a jaunty beret and singing a Maurice Chevalier tune to a French twink?

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2021

They're full of Muslims and people from the former colonies (mostly African). I know because my parents live in a a town south of Paris accessible by the RER (train).

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2021

Hunger Games vibe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202/22/2021

The "blue collar" (actually unemployed) guys you meet there are less likely to fix your tire than torch your car.

They're also more likely to be wearing a turban than a beret, and more likely to stab you than sing to you.

But otherwise, your assumptions are totally correct, OP.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2021

I had to drive through Paris to get to Normandy, and I took a wrong turn and ended up in a banlieue. It was scary, but probably no different than a rough neighborhood in a large American city. It kind of reminded me of a dirtier, more rundown version of a high-crime neighborhood in Washington, DC.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2021

Those complexes at R2's link look like a Parisian Pruitt-Igoe and just as "charming."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502/22/2021

Maybe 30 years ago, OP. Now it is what R1 said.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2021

DISTRICT 13 is a great action movie set there.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2021

Far fewer stink sleeves than the usual French towns.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2021

Shocking revelation of the racial divide in France. Middle Eastern and African families and their angry, hopeless kids. Has seemed like a powder keg for decades now. Far from the glamorous cite or the quaint ville of advertising.

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2021

They're full of people who will happily behead you in the middle of street.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2021

Isn't it terrible that the impact of colonialism still affects dear France?

Much as slavery's curse still haunts America.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2021

Lots of clothes drying on balconies and unsightly dish antennas.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2021

Colonialism R11? Uh no. Decades of empty-headed immigrant policies and culture clash.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2021

After the terror attacks of 2015, France resolved to do better by its foreign immigrants so they didn’t feel so disillusioned.

Judging by a 2018 taxi ride in Paris, where a France-born driver of Algerian descent went on about how much he hates French people, I’d say they have a ways to go. (I thought he would go off when I said I was American, but he went on about how much he wishes he could move to America).

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2021

France still reaps billions from former African colonies as payment for their "independence" (got a bad habit from extorting Haiti) maybe if it had not destabilized these African countries and let them govern themselves in peace perhaps they wouldn't have many African refugees.

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2021

R15 France's former African colonies are tribal and Islamic. Governance and peace are both unknown factors.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2021

I honestly don’t think there is a solution to resolve the entrenched bitterness of non-white French. The great grandchildren of former colonialists rage who anger at “the French”. It’s a very different history than African Americans. But at least in US, there is some acknowledgement by a large minority that a debt is owed and affirmative action needs to be taken. I honestly don’t see a French resolution.

Recently read “Submisssion” - which was an insightful look at the French view of non-French cultures and people. Further entrenched my view that there is no happy coexistence possible.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2021

Never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2021

[Quote]maybe if it had not destabilized these African countries and let them govern themselves in peace perhaps they wouldn't have many African refugees.

This is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2021

I lived in St-Denis, which is in the notorious 93rd Département. It was always working class, but these days is now predominantly working class North African immigrants and their French born children. If a city has “Villeneuve” in its name, (trans., New Town) you can expect to find the dispossessed warehoused in charmless tower blocks.

While the French welfare state affords a certain quality of life that many of the poor in the US would envy, in the banlieues there remains a pervasive sense of malaise and despair that comes with living literally and figuratively on the margins of mainstream society.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2021

Watch "Engrenages" ("The Spiral" in English) to get a better sense of what Paris looks like outside the central picture postcard sites with charming cafes and pain au chocolat.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2021

OP is a shit stirrer. Typical queen.

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2021

If it's anything like this film, it's terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2021

They have a certain je ne sais quoi!

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2021

"Could we expect to see a hot guy sporting a jaunty beret and singing a Maurice Chevalier tune to a French twink?"

No, not since the Allies liberated Paris in 1944.

And I doubt Chevalier would have surfaced by then anyway: he was a collaborationist during the Nazi occupation.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2021

The shitty Europeans get what they deserve for raping the world and subjugating three quarters of the world. Payback is hell, deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2021

They are absolute shot holes and the average Muslim male in those neighborhoods is extremely likely to be a homophobe who would gladly behead gay men.

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2021

*shit holes, not shot holes. Damn autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2021

So true r11 so true.

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!