Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elder Gays, Tell Me About Harold Lloyd Jr.

Born in 1931 to "The Third Genius" of silent-era Hollywood comedy, Harold Lloyd, he was twice engaged but never married (his second fiance canceled their wedding after finding him in bed with another man). Lloyd Jr. was a homosexual, who it seemed preferred rough trade. He would often return home bloodied & bruised after encounters with other men.

His father blamed his own absence for Jr.'s homosexuality, but understood his son's predilection for members of the same sex. Harold Lloyd Jr. was an alcoholic from his twenties, suffered a major stroke at age thirty-five, and died at forty, in 1971.

So have any of you seen any of his films? Did anyone here ever meet or know him? Rumors? I've only just discovered him, and would love to know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2022 8:06 PM

He was a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 11:41 PM

He was hot and so was his dad.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 11:42 PM

Here's a photo of Jr. from what appears to be the late 1950s, or early1960s. I agree R1 & R2. Jr. AND Sr. were both hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 11:45 PM

Old Hollywood was cruel to their gay actors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 1:21 AM

This LP was released just before his stroke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 1:39 AM

He was sexy. “ He would often return home bloodied & bruised after encounters with other men.”. What the fuck was happening.?

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 1:44 AM

This is the first I'm hearing about the Junior Lloyd, let alone the fact that he was gay.

And I should have known better because one of the films he appeared in was Girls Town, mercilessly ridiculed in one of my all-time favorite MST3K episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 1:49 AM

It looks trenchant and absorbing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 1:55 AM

Here it is, r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 1:59 AM

He looks a little like the young Jack Lemmon.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 1:59 AM

The father was handsome which is why he wore glasses in his films. Jr not so much.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 2:29 AM

Well, if he was in a movie with Mamie Van Doren, just ask her about him. She's all over Facebook and doesn't hold back on her opinions.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 2:31 AM

Dad was a mega poon hound so it figures junior would be a poof.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 2:47 AM

R6 Perhaps he had a fetish for rough trade...

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 3:47 AM

[quote]He was sexy. “ He would often return home bloodied & bruised after encounters with other men.”. What the fuck was happening.?

Stupid guy tries to fuck straight guys who beat him up after he paid for everything, as per usual.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 4:49 AM

Had him.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 4:59 AM

His life sounds sad, poor man. A massive stroke at 40: what caused that?

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 5:09 AM

Do tell, VERYelder gay!

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 5:09 AM

He died barely three months after his father.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 6:02 AM

Harold Lloyd was ultra conservative, but a devoted family man who spoiled his kids rotten. He was very accepting of Jr's gayness, even welcoming his son's lovers into the family

Lloyd also had one of Beverly Hills' most spectacular estates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 8:21 AM

Greenacres....

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 3:45 PM

R13 you mean like famed Lothario Warren Beatty whose first-born turned out to be a transman?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2022 1:02 PM

Harold Lloyd Sr.’s Safety Last is worth a watch for its famous scene of Harold hanging off a tall building. Being from 1923 it’s also interesting to see what L.A. looked like 100 years ago. HBO Max had it up in a very clear, crisp print.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2022 2:00 PM

Excellent recommendation, R23! I read somewhere (or heard in a documentary) that some people fainted while watching this film. Here's a version I found on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2022 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!