Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

USA Today swoons over trans 50 years old, 6-feet-6, 230 pounds girls basketball team player

FREMONT, Calif. – Beneath the foggy mirror in a makeshift locker room no bigger than a storage closet sit 11 women, their wide eyes affixed to an overdressed basketball coach who is delivering a pregame speech that is equal parts inspiration and four-letter words.

When the focus of the 12-minute pep talk pivots to this topic, the eyes of 10 18- to 20-year-old women – including one deaf player and another woman a few inches shy of 5-feet – focus on the one Mission College player who has yet to play this season. There near the door sits the oldest (50 years old), tallest (6-feet-6, 230 pounds) and most muscular person in the room: Gabrielle Ludwig.

"Come out and be Gabrielle the player," head coach Corey Cafferata tells her. "You worked hard to get here. This damn team in here, everyone has your back!"

Ludwig nervously runs her hand over the sock approaching the tattoo on her leg. She has long been eager yet apprehensive about this moment. Can she still play? What will she hear from adults in the stands? What will her opponents on the court whisper? And can she keep her emotions in check? Glancing up from the dirty rug, she says she is calm. She didn't know if this day could ever arrive: Tonight, before spectators who will cheer and curse her, she hits the reset button on her life.

"Your name will be called," Cafferata assures her about playing time. "Your name will be called."

Few outside this room know it all comes back to that name. They don't know she is 50 and last played a college basketball game in 1980 – as a man. They don't know the odyssey: one failed suicide attempt, two failed marriages; one 19-year-old daughter who insists on calling her dad, two girls who insist on calling her Momma Gabbi.

And they have little sense of reactions Ludwig has encountered – the gawking, the whispers and the female referee in Barstow who looked her in the eye and refused to shake her hand. All of this prompted by the tension between a person's desire to play organized basketball and a community still trying to comprehend that person's half-century life journey.

"Last time I played college ball, I was 20 years old," Ludwig tells her team. "Walking out here 30 years later … "

-----------------

The story was listed under the heading of "Men's College Basketball". Heads will roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 8, 2021 2:03 PM

A Trans woman in her 50s competing with women at peak physical level? Why, how is this possible?

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 7:56 PM

Ugh, ffs

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Oh my. Very topical, the Governor of Tennessee is proposing legislation to prevent this type of thing in his State.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 7:59 PM

How sensational!

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 8:01 PM

Stunning and brave

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 8:13 PM

She sho is uglee.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 8:14 PM

This article is over 8 years old. This pic comes up in the trans athletes argument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 8:15 PM

"Editor's note: This story has been updated to adhere to current USA TODAY style."

What does this mean at the beginning? Updates for punctuation? Substance?

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 8:17 PM

It means parts of the article were added or deleted in order to cater to Trans sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 8:19 PM

That’s one big gal

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 8:22 PM

Fucking side show freak... Those girls ought to gang up & beat the shit out of that thing.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2021 8:25 PM

Fuck this. This can't be the real world, surely? Even Trump being president...have I manifested this reality with negative thinking? Trump? A fucking pandemic? A fifty-year-old mentally ill man being lauded for playing with girls?

What the fuck is going on?

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2021 8:29 PM

I honestly have no anti-trans animus (especially compared to people on this site) but come on now. This is ridiculous and has the potential to ruin women’s sports.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2021 8:32 PM

An eight year old article?

F&F.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2021 8:33 PM

Bobby Riggs beat Margaret Court in 1973 and narrowly lost to Billie Jean King. The women were 30 and 29 and in peak physical fitness and dominated women's sport, he was 55 and a heavy drinker who barely practiced before the matches.

BJK's achievement was so significant they made 2 films about it. Now BJK is supporting the rights of men to compete in women's sport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2021 8:38 PM

Imagine the blood sweat and tears these women have gone thru their entire lives to work hard to be able to compete at this level, only to have a 50 year old MAN come along, play against you unfairly, and then steal all the attention away. And of course these poor women can’t say anything because then they’ll be attacked by the vicious tranny mob.

Women are under attack by trannies. This article is one of the most sickening things I’ve read in a long, long time. If you don’t have a vagina you should not be allowed to compete against women.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2021 8:45 PM

I don't care if the article was 8 years ago, 18 years ago, or 8 minutes ago. It's utterly stupid that a 6'6" man in his fifties gets to play college ball with women. And I am not even close to anti-trans. I am very much anti-stupid, however.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2021 9:07 PM

Why is a 50 year old playing on a college team, of any gender?

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2021 9:11 PM

She was still in high school at 50? She’s a regular Jerri Blank.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2021 9:16 PM

7 women in the WNBA have dunked in the leagues 20+ year history, these are 12-14 year old boys who dunk with ease. I’ve read arguments from activists that a number of WNBA players could play in the NBA. Not even close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 9:17 PM

No one should be playing team sports at 50, you are going to break a hip girls.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 9:23 PM

I’m reminded of the time when that tranny MMA fighter nearly killed a woman in a fight. Sooner or later this trannies in sports nonsense is going to end in tragedy. And no doubt the tranny mob will try to blame that on women too.

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2021 9:24 PM

Trans are displacing woman and gays, they are truly taking over. This just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2021 9:37 PM

They are not displacing masculine gay men. If mincing queeny makeup bottoms want to trans then I don't care. Wouldn't touch them anyway.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2021 9:42 PM

This is disgusting lol

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]They are not displacing masculine gay men. If mincing queeny makeup bottoms want to trans then I don't care. Wouldn't touch them anyway.

I understand your sentiment, but where does Caitlyn Jenner fall in that regard?

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 9:49 PM

Caitlyn Jenner is the OTHER type of tranny...the straight male with a lesbian fetish variety. They have become the majority of trans and don't have anything to do with gay men.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 10:12 PM

I honestly have no idea how anyone can support a biological man competing against women in sports, the concept is so patently absurd that it shouldn't be a question. And yet, grown adults with functioning brains are supporting this lunacy, including some female athletes like those at r15. The President of the United States just wrote into law that any schools objecting to this risk losing federal funding. They are putting in fully intact (i.e. with a dick) men into women's prisons as long as they mention the 5 magic words: 'I identify as a woman'.

I keep pinching myself to wake up, this can't possibly be reality.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2021 10:20 PM

An 8 year old story....

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 2:01 AM

Well now you do R13. Honestly my ass.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 2:15 AM

I can't believe college non-pretend women put up with this bullshit! Why don't they all just refuse to play and nip this shit in the bud?

As long as they tolerate this nonsense they deserve what they get from the gender-appropriating Tranny Brigade.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 5:37 AM

R13 start speaking up dummy! That's harsh, but seriously, my guess is most of the so called "anti-trans posters" on DL also have no special trans animus bias, yet still get labeled as trans haters (as you will too; the content of r13 is more than enough for excommunication from progressive circles). I honestly don't care about bathrooms or woman's sport, but I will be goddamned if I allow homophobic hate speech like "gay men should be open to trans mens' vaginas/front holes" to go unchallenged in my presence.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 6:19 AM

All he has to do is stand under the basket and hand it in. Which of the girls from the opposing team can even reach that high?

More importantly, which of those girls is going to take a charge defending with that Neanderthal running at them?

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 6:44 AM

Female athletes who were trapped in male bodies. Because of their determination to overcome, these athletes become more skilled and competitive.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 7:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 7:30 AM

R15 We would also be remiss were we not to point out that there’s circumstantial evidence that Riggs threw his match against BJK so that he could cash in big time by betting against himself.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 8:06 AM

Omfg @ R35! Lololol…

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 8:16 AM

Biden so fucked up this one it was really starting off on the wrong foot.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 8:33 AM

Megan Rapinoe also supports sex categories in sports should be abolished.

Considering her World Cup winning squad was humiliated by the Dallas under 15s academy team, maybe she wants more of a challenge. When you're playing against pathetic females it must get dull, so getting some 6'3 defenders testosterone fuelled transwomen into the women's game will make it more competitive for her.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 9:20 AM

I hope these idiots get smashed at this point r39

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2021 10:12 AM

R8, I think it means the article now adheres to the new elements of style, e.g. "Black," "white," "TRANS!".

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2021 10:22 AM

This insanity can only happen not because of Ts but because of enabling female athletes (like r15's 'nearly 200 athletes supporting...'), gays/bis/allies shouting 'LGBTQIA+ rights' everywhere, feminists and other woke liberals. These female star athletes and 'LGBTQIA+ icons' enjoy the privilege of $$$, fame, social justice cred and throwing others under the bus.

They can afford to avoid getting smashed by the trans unlike the commoners: BJK retired; no trans yet to threaten the celebrated soccer star Rapinoe or her WNBA player gf. Trans athletes know their place as mediocre beta male losers and so far are mostly confined to less popular sports/leagues.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2021 10:46 AM

It’s like playing Scrabble with a five year old and being proud you won.

Slow clap for the guy in a dress. Good job, you!

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2021 11:37 AM

It's high time people with a big penis instruct women exactly what a REAL woman is all about!

Move over bitches it's time for some REAL B-Ball!

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2021 1:55 AM

I'll bet that Old Gabbie loves the locker room.

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2021 2:10 AM

This is getting more ridiculous every fucking day.

by Anonymousreply 46February 25, 2021 3:24 AM

I’m on board for anyone competing in their own class so yes if someone is trans then they deserve the right to compete as themselves BUT she is 50. They’re as young as her kids. It’s a mismatch. It can go two ways: she’s way older so she’s way slower or she’s built like a brick house so she will dominate to the point it will be unfair for everyone else. Either way, this is not about trans people competing but about someone not in the same age bracket or experience level (in her case TOO much experience) making it a spectacle.

by Anonymousreply 47February 25, 2021 4:25 AM

Who cares. If the end goal is to replace cis women with trans women I'm all for it. People only like women's sports for the ass and tits, not the athleticism. People crying over transwomen in women's sports neglect to mention that women's sports is FUCKING BORING! Remember when some men's college league soccer team absolutely crushed the National Female team? That was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 48February 25, 2021 4:28 AM

I realize R48 is a troll, but the US women’s team was beat by a elite U15 (14-15 year old boys) soccer team out of Dallas. The women’s Australian national team was also beat by similar team.

by Anonymousreply 49February 25, 2021 5:21 AM

Yeah, and every one of those boys will wake up the day after the Equality Act passes able to go, "Damn, I feel like a full athletic scholarship!"--EXCUSE ME--"Damn, I feel like a woman!"

by Anonymousreply 50February 25, 2021 6:13 AM

When is this whole trans obsession going to wrap up?

Why on earth is the mantle of progressive thought now welded to a movement of troubled people with the mental affliction of gender dysphoria of all things!? I'm waiting for the day my fauxgressive white women friends who are "All Trans! All the Time!" come to their senses, but I'm not holding my breath.

Film and tv casting is obsessed with pushing trans stories and actors (we don't use the word "actress" unless you are Laverne Cox) I'm convinced nobody wants to see. When will they be called on their shit and quit using the word "brave" only to describe those who "pass"? What's so brave about that? Isn't passing just hiding?

by Anonymousreply 51February 25, 2021 1:58 PM

Another poster in a different thread, far more clever than I am, used the word "transjacked" to describe our predicament--and it's exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 52February 25, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote] It’s like playing Scrabble with a five year old and being proud you won.

Thank you . . . er . . . I think.

by Anonymousreply 53February 25, 2021 2:25 PM

[quote] the US women’s team was beat by a elite U15 (14-15 year old boys) soccer team out of Dallas. The women’s Australian national team was also beat by similar team.

I never heard of either incident. Admittedly I don't follow sports but you'd expect "honest" media to note this.

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote] It’s like playing Scrabble with a five year old and being proud you won.

I love playing Scrabble with my big cis-ters!

by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] she’s built like a brick house so she will dominate to the point it will be unfair for everyone else. Either way, this is not about trans people competing

This argument fails under its own weight. She’s built like brick house BECAUSE she was born male, not because she’s 50, so of course it’s trans people (unfairly) competing.

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2021 4:31 PM

Interesting.

Now we know what Jared Kushner does in his spare time, when he’s not too busy selling real estate, armed fighter jets, and weapons of mass destruction to the man who had Khashoggi murdered in Turkey.

Now he can just be one of the gals! Whatta good sport!

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2021 4:57 PM

But we can score, r57.

by Anonymousreply 58March 8, 2021 2:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!