Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Behind Her Eyes: WTF!!!!1

So no thread about this INSANE show on Netflix?

That ending!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2022 1:35 AM

Didn't see it but might check it out. Can't stand Bono and usually find nepotistic acting careers of famous kids to be worthless, but Eve Hewson looks interesting here as the lead.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 7:29 PM

I've started watching it and trying not to spoil myself, since everyone seems to be talking about the ending.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 7:31 AM

I've just finished and I'm curious to see what others think. The weird loop the series takes from about episode 4, and then that final episode, have left me undecided about how to judge the fact that the final mystery "twist" turns out being the whole genre we started out with in the opening three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 8:17 AM

Does Tom show everything?

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 8:28 AM

I like my mystery to be "realistic", can it have some friendly ghost, neutral spirit, or evil entity to spice things up? Interesting ideas but no thanks, it can not! That will instantly turn it into a supernatural genre which I have no interest investing time to watch or analyze. Humans can't really compete against supernatural power, they will always prevail if they want, of maybe I should say if they really want. Anyway, my point is, if there is a supernatural factor involved, I avoid watching them, there is no point examining the clue, the twist, the ending...it's supernatural, anything is possible!

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 9:31 AM

Same here: I stopped watching when I realized there were some supernatural events and forces even though I did find the acting and the dynamic between the characters interesting. I like my fictions to be grounded in my real world.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 9:46 AM

I'm on episode 2. Is Hewson supposed to be blind? She has such a weird non eye contact thing going on at certain times, but then others she seems like she's tracking fine.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 10:07 AM

I thought it was fucking stupid. But the music was great and Bono's daughter is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 11:04 AM

Twitter thinks it’s transphobic

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 9:06 PM

R9, of course they do. If trannies could actually body hop every woman on earth would be dead.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 10:18 PM

Anne Rice did it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 10:21 PM

Is Tom Bateman naked?

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 10:24 PM

[quote]Is Tom Bateman naked?

We see his ass a few times.

I loved it. And yes, when it delves into a different genre it's jarring, but it worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 5:51 AM

It wasn't well-reviewed, but her previous effort, "The Luminaries" got somewhat better reviews, so I started watching that.

I won't be watching this.

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 6:07 AM

Yes, it was entertaining. I had no idea what it was about and was pleasantly surprised. Some non-spoiler thoughts.

1. Dr. Sharma didn’t look at all Indian. I thought he was a lovely character. Also loved Sue and think she was good at hiding her knowledge of the obvious affair between David and Louise.

2. Louise was a total idiot, start to finish.

3. Was her friend Sophie meant to be a lesbian?

4. David went from being hot to looking like Jack Torrance to looking like an awkward little boy. It was very odd.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 6:36 AM

Poor Eve Hewson has a beautiful face but Hillary Clinton legs. There’s nothing to be done about that.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 6:37 AM

R14 The Luminaries is unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 7:47 AM

I thought it was boring at first but gets more interesting in the last two episodes.

I have also learned from Twitter that this series is racist, homophobic and transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 7:47 PM

whoa... it does take a weird turn in ep 5 and definitely a what the fuck ending!

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2021 12:48 AM

**spoiler ahead**

Someone online pointed out that while the villain is willing to go through hell and high water to land his dream man, he draws the line at wearing high heels. When he takes charge of a female body, he puts her into low-heeled, clunky shoes. Offing people and pets and zapping around through the ether? No problem. But stilettos? No way.

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2021 2:19 AM

It is weirdly homophobic. I felt very uncomfortable with the ending. I’m surprised it was ever given the green light. There’s no reason they couldn’t have chosen to have a woman be Adele’s friends and fall in love with Tom Bateman other than they wanted the unearned ending to be sensationalist. It was a bad choice. I would imagine there will be quite some backlash. And that poor little boy.

Really, the whole thing was just in terrible taste. Netflix is so desperate for constantly new content they’ll take anything, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2021 3:45 AM

I liked it. I have mixed feelings about the astral travel -- it just seemed to come out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2021 3:47 AM

[quote]There’s no reason they couldn’t have chosen to have a woman be Adele’s friends and fall in love with Tom Bateman other than they wanted the unearned ending to be sensationalist. It was a bad choice.

Rob didn't do the things he did because he's gay. There were hints that he was jealous of Adele while they were in rehab. He was jealous of her being in love and being loved and knew that this woman who he thought was a kindred spirit was going to change once she went back to her own life. When he finally saw the complete package: the estate, David, their love, he had to go for broke. Jealousy is a universal feeling.

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2021 3:57 AM

I didn't like it, but I don't like "supernatural" or "otherworldly"

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2021 3:58 AM

Just finished watching the finale.

I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. A lot of things (and cinematic tricks) from the previous episodes are falling into place now. Music was very good. Stellar acting, very hard to keep that brooding atmosphere going throughout 6 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2021 9:06 PM

Started watching last night. Only got to Ep 3 but so far interesting and, yes, Adele has piano legs.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2021 12:02 PM

I read the book as it got quite good reviews. Hated it! I'm with the posters above who like their mysteries grounded in reality-- despise the supernatural genre. I started watching it (forgetting I had read the book) and, after Episode 2, realized it and stopped. Don't waste your time on this.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2021 12:08 PM

Louise wanted to have her cock and suck it, too. Can you blame a girl? Dude is hot.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2021 9:58 PM

Hated the ending. Loved it until then.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote] Dr. Sharma didn’t look at all Indian

What the heck are you talking about? He totally looks Indian because the actor is Indian

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2021 8:06 PM

I enjoyed it but have no idea why anyone thought the ending was homophobic.

Interestingly, at the beginning of the show, it showed that the wife liked sex from behind.

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2021 8:07 PM

You have no idea why people would view the portrayal of a mentally ill predatory gay man who kills two women in order to catfish a straight guy into fucking him as homophobic?

Ok, bro.

by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2021 9:50 PM

I don’t know if I can get past Eve Hewson. Bono is the only reason anybody knows who this basic looking bitch even is. Nepotism is a boner killer for me.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2021 9:57 PM

R32 - I understand the argument that it's homophobic, but that argument loses weight (at least for me) in the lack of scarcity of representation for gay people. In 1985, when there were very few fictional gay characters in media (movies, TV, comics, video games, books) - I'd agree.

Flash forward to 2021 and representation is way more robust. So the idea of a fucked up gay guy doing criminal acts/tricking a straight guy would be fucked up because it's essentially the only time gay people are portrayed. With wider representation and characterization, it's less egregious and we can slowly shift to the idea that the character is just fucked up and he happens to be a dude. Does that stereotype of the "gay guy that'll do anything to get a straight guy" stereotype still exist? Sure. So does the "all gay guys are child molesters." So does the "all women on their period are hysterical." But I think we've moved past it enough that it's okay to showcase, within a compelling story, a gay man performing those actions.

I think there's a stronger argument that it plays into transphobic stereotypes than homophobic stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2021 12:40 AM

To me Rob's #1 goal wasn't to swap with Adele because he wanted David. David was icing on the cake. He was envious of her wealth and how David loved her. He even told her that she wouldn't have room for him in her life despite her saying the contrary. He had a choice between going back to the estates or staying in an estate with a man who loved his friend. Even absent of David Rob would have swapped with Adele.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2021 12:51 AM

It lost when with the supernatural nonsense. I hate that kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2021 2:55 AM

Adele reminded me of the love child of Rooney Mara and Cillian Murphy cosplaying Donna Tartt.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2022 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!