Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daisy Ridley is an awful actress who should have never been the face of the new Star Wars.

Most of the cast of the Disney era is terrible. That's what happens when the producer only cares about representation and box ticking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 3:30 AM

The Star Wars series is known for many things, but great acting isn’t one of them. I mean there’s only so much you can do with dialogue like ‘These are not the droids you seek.’

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 1:21 PM

OP is an immediate ignore. Rightwing straight guy invading dL? Bye, asshole!

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 4:10 PM

OP gets so furious if anyone discusses Trump's latest crimes or shenanigans. Since Trump lost the election and is "over," we're not supposed to remind the OP he was a fool and failure to place his blind faith in Derp Fuhrer.

Yet the timely, cutting-edge topic the OP prefers is to rehash a six-year-old movie and crucify it for box-ticking.

So relevant!

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 5:25 PM

R18 Alec did fine. James did fine. Harrison did fine.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 5:27 PM

I really like Ridley and Rey. Ridley was vital, charming, and very alive, and kept a straight face through the most ridiculous scenes!

No, it was Adam Driver as Darth Emo that was the big miscast of the new series.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 10:00 PM

She did a better job than Natalie Portman.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 10:03 PM

Representation? She's a white woman.

R6 is right that she was better than Natalie Portman, but you're just a racist Republican looking to blame everything you don't like on "box ticking"

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 10:05 PM

R2 nailed it. What acting breakthroughs are you expecting from a Star Wars movie?

She did fine with what she had.

No one is screaming that Mark Hamil deserved an Oscar. These movies are the definition of "popcorn movie". No one gives a shit about the acting.

Even if they did give a shit, I'd give Adam Driver way more grief than her. He had an emotional "arc" and he was (largely due to script but not all) terrible.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 10:10 PM

Oscar Isaac is so hot that I don't notice his "acting".

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 10:18 PM

Yeah, acting doesn't matter much in Star Wars movies do, *casting* does. We expect bad acting, I mean George Lucas is known as "the worst actor's director alive", but the actors have to come across as the sort of personality they are supposed to be playing. The original trilogy had some very poor acting but the three leads were perfectly cast, Carrie Fisher really was a clever "princess", Mark Hamill really was a kid with big dreams, Harrison Ford really was a loner and a bit of a badass. Even if some of them weren't really acting, they really *were* they *were* the characters.

I think Ridley carried that off, she seemed like a gal who's genuinely energetic, clever, and likable, while Driver did not. He seemed like a guy who's genuinely whiny and self-absorbed, and genuinely unlikable. The character should have been played by someone who had greatness within him, and Driver seems like the sort of guy who's inner smallness makes his height seem all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 10:59 PM

I think the Skywalker Trilogy will fade away over time, nobody liked it. It will never be on the same level as the original trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 1:09 AM

The real question is whether it's worse than the prequels.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 1:20 AM

Revenge Of the Sith is a very good movie, imho. Of course the first two in that trilogy are absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 1:25 AM

This thread has an agenda to try and get us moaning about the politically correct sequel cast.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 1:53 AM

It was like Kathleen Kennedy was deliberately trying to destroy the franchise with that trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 2:45 AM

I liked Daisy Ridley and I didn't hate Adam Driver. It's the only thing I've ever seen him in, not a "Girls" watcher.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 3:48 AM

Lucas destroyed his own legacy with the prequels. I'm surprised anyone cares about it.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 3:55 AM

Long ago I totally burned out on the Star Wars universe of two hour toy commercials you pay to watch so I've never seen this Daisy girl but I do notice she doesn't seem to have made any mark in movies after that role.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 4:08 AM

plus she fugly as dirty dirt.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 4:15 AM

LUCAS MADE HOWARD THE DUCK.....YEP

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 4:15 AM

OP is latin, the chances of him actually being straight are like 10%.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 4:28 AM

[quote]That's what happens when the producer only cares about representation and box ticking.

We're looking at about ten or more years of "box ticking" casting, brace yourself.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 5:30 AM

"That's what happens when the producer only cares about representation and box ticking."

It really isn't since there are good and great actors in every "box" and every "representation".

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 5:39 AM

she look lez

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 5:42 AM

I don't mind her. Disney failed her, Oscar Isaac and John Boyega. The Force Awakens was decent and a good start to a new trilogy but they obviously had no idea what to do for the next two films.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 5:50 AM

What I can't believe is that they made up the damn story as they went along. You would think they would've had a full plotline set in stone before the first film even went into production. That was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 6:02 AM

She was hyped as the next Kiera Knightly, but she isn't that - not even close. She was fine in an action/adventure movie just requiring her to put on a mad face & be spunky, but she's been a dud in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 8:11 AM

The prequels aren't good, and I HATE Anakin and Padme in them, but I've become sort of fond of them over time - they have good points. The supporting performances, some of the battle scenes, the sumptuous look of Republic civilization, the marvelous score, and Palpatine being given a chance to really camp it up.

Maybe I'll feel that way about the Sequel Trilogy in time, but I'm not counting on it. They just don't have the same depth.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 10:19 AM

R28 indeed. The prequels gave us a wonderful expansion of the world of the Jedi pre-Republic, and of the Galaxy. We saw incredible new alien races, different customs on new worlds, fresh methods of space travel, and even new forms of combat.

It wasn’t just aesthetically-breathtaking, either; we learn from visits to Tatooine, Naboo, Coruscant and other worlds that there is dissent in the heart of the Jedi philosophy, that many of the worlds are vying for resources and political power, and that the Core is battling a small nascent but fast-growing tumour of corruption (the effects of which are taking hold of higher institutions and bureaucracy).

As for characters, the inclusion of grey-amoral diplomat-gentleman Dooku and his wayward padawan in the anarchic Qui Gon is nothing short of inspired; they exemplify the look, feel and raison d’être of a Jedi ideal. Seeing Obi-Wan grow through the vessel of a callow Ewan MacGregor is a delight, and Ian McDiarmid’s Darth Sidious is exactly the injection of grace and actorly-sensibility the films needed.

The prequels are a complex saga about the failure of an ideology—unfortunately buried in the muckity-muck of marketing to very young audiences. I’d rather sit and watch PHANTOM three times in a row, than see just one of the Disney movies again even once.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 11:50 AM

She was great. OP is an incel.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 12:10 PM

I saw Star Wars the day it opened in a huge, empty theater in the middle of the afternoon. I was amazed and hooked and I saw it six times with various people after that. I'm not terribly critical of the series. In their own ways, they're all fun and they're a sentimental favorite.

My personal faves are four, five and six, the originals. After those, I just recently really enjoyed seven, eight and nine after not much liking them when they came out. I've never warmed up to one, two and three. Portman often puts me off things, couldn't wait for Henry to chop her head off when she played Anne Boleyn. I should try them again and see if I can look past her.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 1:56 AM

That's the thing about the prequels, R31, if you "look past" those twerps Padme and Anakin, there's a lot of really cool stuff going on.

But Padme and Anakin were horribly written, I mean Anakin is just too stupid to live, and they're played by young actors who needed a better actor's director than George Lucas. Only an old pros like Ian McDiarmuid and Liam Neeson can give genuinely good performances in a Star Wars movie, because Lucas doesn't give a rat's ass about the acting and the only actors who can shine in these movies are the ones who can function without a director.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 2:05 AM

To be fair, Star Wars was always like that, not really about the acting. Only Harrison Ford became a huge star, although Mark Hamill is a favorite now.

Carrie Fisher was one of us here at the Datalounge. She can do no wrong, cinnamon buns on her head and all.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 2:23 AM

R6 at least Natalie was/is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 3:12 AM

Totally agree. The Skywalker trilogy is awful and should be forgotten and redone.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 3:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!