Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Janis Joplin shades Ike Turner

I'd not seen this before:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 4:11 PM

I'm surprised Dick Cavett didn't know who Ike & Tina Turner were, they'd had hits and Grammy nominations by that time.

Janis knew what was up with Ike, you can tell.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 1:16 PM

Janice knew. She knew.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 1:38 PM

Janice knew and Janis also knew.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 2:09 PM

Always struck with how articulate Janis was.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 2:15 PM

r4 she was extremely bright and a voracious reader.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote] I'm surprised Dick Cavett didn't know who Ike & Tina Turner were, they'd had hits and Grammy nominations by that time.

Me too. I guess Tina didn't really break through to greater recognition until "Proud Mary" became a hit, which was 1971.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]voracious reader

Stop with this fucking cliche. It may have sounded bracingly intelligent the first million times. But no more.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2021 2:32 PM

Janis seemed soft spoken and a little shy there.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2021 2:39 PM

Dick was an honorary KKK Grand Wizard.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2021 2:55 PM

There was no "shade" in that clip.

CONTROVERSY FAIL

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2021 5:57 PM

I didn't detect shade there either. She described who he was the bandleader. But that Tina was the show.

And she was right.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2021 6:02 PM

That was shade.

She was suggesting that "The Ike and Tina Turner Review" should be called "The Tina Turner Review"

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2021 7:03 PM

Janis Joplin was really a fascinating character. And one of the most tormented. Probably the best biography written about her was "Buried Alive" by Myra Friedman, who actually knew her (she was her publicist). Friedman said this of her: "She was more complicated, more fragile more vulnerable underneath all that stuff. It's true that she was often very difficult and very coarse. She was flamboyant, she was wild, all of that stuff, but she was at the same time a complex person with a very strong puritanical streak."

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2021 7:44 PM

She really suffered from being teased in high school--everyone thought she was a weirdo, and instead of embracing it she really suffered because of it. She went back for a h.s. reunion after she was famous and it was a disaster--even though she was famous, she felt they still treated her like a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2021 7:47 PM

thanks OP that was cool

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote]she was at the same time a complex person with a very strong puritanical streak

Yes, heroin was closely associated with the Puritans.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2021 8:15 PM

Why do otherwise intelligent people use heroin (or cocaine or speed or smoke cigarettes, etc.), R5, R16? I'm old and I still don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2021 8:16 PM

R17 Because drugs are fun.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2021 8:18 PM

"Why do otherwise intelligent people use heroin (or cocaine or speed or smoke cigarettes, etc.), [R5], [R16]? I'm old and I still don't understand."

Well, heroin users do it to numb themselves. Heroin doesn't make you feel good; it makes you feel nothing. And for whatever reason, to escape pressure or stress or unhappiness or just for the enjoyment of feeling blissfully numbed, heroin users love that feeling. Here are some famous junkies:

Kurt Cobain

Ray Charles

Gia Carangi

Marianne Faithfull

Keith Richards

Anita Pallenberg

Billie Holiday

Deborah Harry

Ricky Lee Jones

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

John Lennon

Yoko Ono

Lucy Grealy

Anthony Kiedis

John Belushi

Miles Davis

Lenny Bruce

William Burroughs

Courtney Love

Tom Petty

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Charlie Parker

Lou Reed

Anita O'Day

Sid Vicious

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2021 10:15 PM

I wonder if there will ever be a Janis Joplin biopic. There's been talk of one for decades. Actresses who were supposedly slated to play her were Melissa Etheridge, Courtney Love, Pink, Lili Taylor, Zooey Deschanel, Brittany Murphy, Nina Arianda, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Theodore, Renee Zellweger, Amy Adams. I hope one never gets made. I don't think any actress could do her justice. Janis Joplin was just too much, just too larger than life.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 11:01 PM

Yes you've seen it before OP. On the Whitney Thread. And the Katharine Hepburn thread.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 11:04 PM

She's throwing obvious shade, I think the people who say otherwise are just trying to be contrarian, it's BEYOND obvious.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 4:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!