Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: The Very Midcentury NJ Home Richard Meier built for his parents

Essex Fells is a very posh little town in between Montclair, home of Stephen Colbert and North Caldwell, home of Anthony and Carmela Soprano

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2021 12:39 AM

My Dentist's office is in a professional building that looks just like this

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 10:52 PM

From 1990 to 2004 I lived a few houses down the street and would walk my dog past the house almost everyday. Not once did I ever see any sign of life in that house. There were cars parked there sometimes but often just void of life. I was not even aware of the owner's name at the time. It was a weird weird looking house and didn't fit the neighborhood. Connie Francis lived on the same street and she was a very sweet and kind lady, albeit a bit quirky. I moved back into the city after that and hardly get back that way, but the house looks unchanged after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 11:05 PM

Unbelievably creepy. it has Overlook Hotel vibes.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 11:08 PM

This is not Meier's best work and of course it wouldn't be as it was one of his first commissions (cited to be his very first with his own practice). I do love it nonetheless and would kill to have it replicated for myself somewhere else (California for instance) - with different flooring and finishes. The kitchen is particularly dreary as it stands. Features like the gorgeous entry courtyard and walls of glass are timeless; the mess of can lights and obtuse built-ins (like that terrible free-standing bar in the huge but poorly utilized dining area) are not. Updated and refreshed it could be astoundingly beautiful. His use of high ceilings and clerestory windows are stunning. Overall, t's an amazing space - thank you OP.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 10:31 AM

Were his parents Bettina and Max?

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 10:36 AM

I love it. I could live there easily. The gardens need a lot of TLC.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 10:38 AM

I can’t wait until the mid-century fad to be over.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 10:57 AM

This Sunday's "Living In" feature in the New York Times was Essex Fells. Bitches commented that it's an all-white town with no commercial district. If you don't like it, don't move there.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 11:01 AM

There's a reason I hate Richard Meir's work and this rare venture into color, such as it is, doesn't dissuade me.

I don't completely hate everything about all of his early domestic work. Douglas House in Michigan of 1973, and Smith House in Darien of 1965-67 (foto), for example have a compactness and sculptural quality that are striking externally (if shit inside), but his vast villas and commercial work is terrible. Again and again and again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 11:22 AM

R2 Connie's house on Holton Lane was last sold in 2018 for $1,732,500. Built in 1963. Taxes $26,981.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 11:39 AM

I’m too paranoid to live with sliding glass doors and floor-to-ceiling windows.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 11:57 AM

I absolutely love the interiors and how they feel. Lots of light and space and a very gracious feeling to it all. The exterior, however, leaves me cold.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 12:09 PM

R12, I agree. The exterior looks too commercial/financial, but the interior is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 10:18 PM

[quote]The exterior looks too commercial/financial...

It does, R13, like a branch bank. Where is the drive-in teller window?

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 10:53 PM

I caught that too R8

Though that's pretty much the comment on every town they feature, along with bitching about how expensive it is.

It's as if they don't get who the NYT core audience is, and/or they believe that every town should have a racial and ethnic balance that reflects the US...unless the town in primarily minority, in which case white people moving in is a no-no. So hard to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 11:01 PM

It looks like a commercial/institutional building from the outside. Just meh on the inside. The c. 2010 updates just add to the lack of any character.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 11:06 PM

This house is trash compared to the quality Chicago work of John Wellborn Root.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 11:16 PM

I love Mid-Century Modern (go ahead and hate me, DL.), but this is too white, and the exterior is absolutely dreadful. I need more wood, more color in my version.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 11:17 PM

I know of two other Brutalist building which are similar— a rectangular block with a staircase contained within a kind of cylinder at the side.

But the cylinder here has no staircase but provides an ominous space over the conversation area.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 11:36 PM

This imitation-Corbusian house needs some decoration—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 11:40 PM

Livable but the midcentury decor would have to go.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 12:15 AM

I like the interiors a lot (though there's a bit too much brick) but the exterior looks sad to me.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 12:18 AM

Imagine how many times they’ve replaced windows because of golf balls. They had to build that semi-circle just to protect A Art for Christ sakes.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2021 12:23 AM

Yes, exactly. It's definitely influenced (too much) by Brutalism, R19.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2021 12:32 AM

I like other Meier works and classi mid century design overall, but this is horrible. Hate both that exterior and the interior.

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2021 12:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!