Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Mid-Century Studio (523 square feet) in Santa Monica Canyon for salefor 1.58 million

Designed by Neutra, this 1936 'Baby Grand' studio is considered an early example of Modernist design. LA Dataloungers, is it worth the price?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76Last Tuesday at 1:32 PM

That kitchen is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2021

That is not midcentury. Neither in style nor time. It's deco. Think Poirot.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2021

It’s lovely (except for the kitchen), but I think it’s overpriced by around 1million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2021

It works as a pied a Terre, but it would be small for daily living.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2021

[quote] That kitchen is a joke.

It's the same size as mine. LOL! Except I have more cabinets.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2021

I like Neutra's work.

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2021

Aren't most LA places in that price range larger than that?

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2021

LA is a city of fools

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2021

It’s adorable and I love it. The price is moot, as I am poor.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2021

That was basically a Raymond Chandler-era fuckpad. I imagine some louche artist/writer bringing back barflies and/or sailors for illicit encounters, while maintaining a respectable home down the street.

The stucco work looks very amateurishly done.

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2021

That's pretty cool for 1936, the style is more streamline then anything else which was big at the time. I just don't know what you would do with such an odd place

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2021

I've seen bigger kitchenettes and lavatories on airplanes

Those steps looks more like a ladder when photographed from underneath

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2021

The Realtor.com entry shows more photos, including one without the virtual staging.

Could you put anything on the flat roof? Deck chairs, maybe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2021

523 sf of living area?

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2021

[quote]Could you put anything on the flat roof? Deck chairs, maybe?

Millions of dollars of roof repairs....

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2021

Very cool for it's time and place. But a house like that doesn't fit with the way people live now.

Today it belongs in a coffee table book about Neutra but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2021

It could be a great office for a well-off writer, artist, or musician. Someone who wanted to separate their working life from their home life.

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2021

[quote]523 sf of living area?

Agreed, I've seen bigger rooms at the Motel 6 off the 405

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2021

I couldn’t live like that.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2021

How is the neighborhood? Does it at all justify the price?

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2021

I like how the real estate listing states the school district it is located in. I would suspect a family wouldn't be living here...

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2021

Love the hillside and the view, but the dwelling itself has no appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2021

The use of mini-blinds under the sink is clever, but the ikea closet system is just bad.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2021

It'd be a fun place to live as a swinging single ,but only as a pit stop to bigger and better things. To pay that kind of money for a glorified shed is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2021

The finish on the concrete exterior seems crude. I like some of Neutra's work, but he always seemed more derivative of other architects than really original. It looks bunker-like from the street and mostly lacking in privacy from the inside.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2021

Who cares about the school district (heavily nonwhite, and Spanish speaking). Someone with a couple million to play around with is going to have their kids go to Crossroads.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2021

Those stairs terrify me.

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2021

You don’t need a gym membership with that studio and all those stairs!

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2021

I already live in 500 sq. ft., so I could live there easily. The living / bedroom area can definitely be rearranged into two separate-feeling spaces. I would push the bed (headboard) into the space where that huge TV is hung. (Move or get rid of TV, of course.)

The kitchen has full-sized appliances and enough counter space for me to cook.

Price? I can't afford that.

by Anonymousreply 2902/20/2021

[quote] The kitchen has full-sized appliances and enough counter space for me to cook.

Does it have granite countertops and space for entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 3002/20/2021

It's Pacific Palisades!

It's fucking beautiful there! My cousin lives there and she loves it! You have to drive everywhere but I'd move to the there in a heartbeat! I'm native to LA and want to get the fuck out when I retire but fuck! If I could lived there I'd never move! GORG!

by Anonymousreply 3102/20/2021

I like it a lot. I'm a NYer living in a 546 sq. ft. one-bedroom, so I think I could live very happily there.

by Anonymousreply 3202/20/2021

What is on the wall (lower), to the left & perpendicular to the TV? There's black tile (or something) to the left and right. Is that a fireplace? Something above that area, too. A vent? Maybe you can't put her bed there after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2021

Santa Monica Canyon is absolutely stunning. (Chris Isherwood lived there for decades, I believe.)

But 1.58 for that? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2021

^^ Yeah, it doesn't even have a buildable lot (2465sq.ft.) so you're stuck with a one-room house for 1.5 million

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2021

The exterior looks like paper-mâché. Ideal for earthquake country...

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2021

I love it. I own a rental studio that same size. I've lived in it from time to time with no space issues but then it was just me there. The location is pretty good. I could be comfortable there. Is it worth the price? For the location and design I'd say yes.

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2021

R36, it was built in 1936 - it has been through quite a few quakes.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Sunday at 12:41 AM

I love it . I wonder who was the previous owner.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 12:56 AM

[quote] There's black tile (or something) to the left and right. Is that a fireplace?

It's not very clear, but perhaps music equipment?

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 6:40 AM

[quote] It's not very clear, but perhaps music equipment?

I don't think so, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 8:56 AM

"Another view of the studio highlights the open layout"...

It is ONE fucking room!

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 9:17 AM

R42 Yes it's one fucking perfect room in a fucking perfect location. You do not understand real estate my dear. It will be snapped up in a nanosecond after fielding dozens of offers, THIS WEEKEND.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 9:32 AM

Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 9:38 AM

Does the sale price include the numerous homeless people who will be camped outside your residence, like much of Santa Monica, or do you have to pay extra for them?

by Anonymousreply 45Last Sunday at 9:41 AM

I’m in ❤️!

by Anonymousreply 46Last Sunday at 9:51 AM

r45 Despite the address, it's not in Santa Monica.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Sunday at 10:12 AM

It would be a fun weekend Airbnb, but I could never live there. I have too much shit. And fuck those stairs

by Anonymousreply 48Last Sunday at 1:09 PM

[quote]Yes it's one fucking perfect room in a fucking perfect location. You do not understand real estate my dear. It will be snapped up in a nanosecond after fielding dozens of offers, THIS WEEKEND.

Please try to obtain a clue, dollface. That place MIGHT be worth it if it was on a decent-sized lot or still contained original detail. It has neither: it's on a postage-stamp-sized 2,500 sq ft parcel, and the fucktard idiots who reno'd it ruined it with decidedly NON-vintage elements like stainless appliances and subway tile – which back in the 1930s was only found in ACTUAL subways, not homes.

I've sold bigger homes for similar price tags within 2 blocks of the beach! (Santa Monica and Venice) Hard pass, unless they con some poor sucker into buying it.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Sunday at 1:22 PM

There is a huge house right across the street from it. The owners of that house should buy it and use it as a guest house. OR, the house on the other side of it (more modestly sized) could buy it and have the beginnings of a little compound. Because I agree, that house is too small to live in and the renovators did ruin the kitchen and bath by ripping out the period details.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Sunday at 1:32 PM

R48 Use the front door.

Want more space for all your crap? Go UP. Its a 1 story structure.

Fuck you R49, you go live in fucking Venice or on the shitty side streets of Santa Monica. That canyon is better real estate and you should know that.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Sunday at 1:42 PM

It’s a jail cell with windows.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Sunday at 1:50 PM

Suck my left tit, R51. Beachside (or beach-proximate) trumps hills/valleys every time, dollface, most of all in SoCal. And if you seriously think any streets PERIOD are "shitty" in circa-2021 Santa Monica, you have several screws loose.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Sunday at 2:30 PM

Not for me. I hate stucco. The interiors are pretty, although that kitchen is certainly not fit for a full time lifestyle. But I guess the price is appropriate for LA.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Sunday at 2:41 PM

Couldn't one build down from the hillside underneath the current main level?

by Anonymousreply 55Last Sunday at 3:14 PM

My spidy sense says we have seen this house before on DL.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Sunday at 3:52 PM

Mid-Century or Deco it is a squalid looking place with the craftmanship of Ray Charles during the heroin years.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Sunday at 4:37 PM

I could live there if it has a washer/dryer somewhere (anyone notice them?), although I agree some of the renos are pretty lame. Lots of light in the big room, and the patio looks like a shady dream to me.. One of my favorite apartments was smaller.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Sunday at 4:57 PM

Nice view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59Last Monday at 6:13 AM

R58, the property description at Realtor.com doesn't say anything about a washer/dryer. Since it DOES list the dishwasher, disposal, etc., that signals there aren't any laundry facilities. But since it is a free-standing structure, surely it would be easy enough to install the vent and 220 outlet, possible in the little garage.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Monday at 7:04 AM

Well, in that location, if it had 1 bedroom it'd go for 2.5 mil.

But 500sf? So little inside to show in the pics they had to have a pic of shelving that looks like it came from Ikea.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Monday at 7:13 AM

I notice there is a set of public stairs/right-of-way along the north edge of property, leading down from Upper Mesa Rd to Rustic Canyon Rd. (there are several such public staircases around Santa Monica Canyon, which people use for exercise)

That could be really cool, IF you *happen* to have friends who live on Rustic Canyon Road, or enjoy staircase-walking as a form of exercise (it doesn't shorten the walk to PCH/beach, significantly). But if you don't, it could also be totally annoying. I don't think this staircase is as well-known for exercise as others in the Canyon (it's not as wide/long, not much parking nearby) ,but it's probably popular within the neighborhood. I would still think there are a fair number of neighborhood "stair-walkers" using it?

The brick terrace-patio is great and I can imagine enjoying a hot cup of coffee on it, on a leisurely weekend morning.....but there is essentially a sidewalk-staircase next to it -- with people huffing & puffing on the other side of the patio/yard. Just saying....on top of everything else, it's not very private.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Monday at 7:11 PM

California is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Monday at 7:13 PM

A walk-in closet in a home that size is ridiculous. The kitchen appliances should be scaled down to fit. Get rid of the huge fridge and put one in that fits under the counter. Someone who lives in a home that size doesn't need a huge refrigerator.

If the price weren't so absurd, it would be an interesting property to rent out as an AirBnB.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Monday at 7:20 PM

[quote] A walk-in closet in a home that size is ridiculous. The kitchen appliances should be scaled down to fit. Get rid of the huge fridge and put one in that fits under the counter. Someone who lives in a home that size doesn't need a huge refrigerator.

Actually, I live in an apartment that size. I have a walk-in closet and it does seem silly, yet it does really make a difference. I have a place (the walk-in) to store things and keep the apartment from looking cluttered (keep things off the floors).

I also have full-sized appliances, which also really helps. I don't feel like I'm in a small apartment b/c I have places (fridge, etc.) to store my food.

Just a counterpoint.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Monday at 7:25 PM

Is that the exterior shot they used for Mad Men when Megan moved out to Cali to pursue her acting career? it looks familiar to me.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Monday at 7:36 PM

Too damn small!

by Anonymousreply 67Last Monday at 7:45 PM

Also, that mid-century wrought iron patio set (on brick the patio) is probably worth $5000+ with the beveled glass top. Looks to be a Woodard .

by Anonymousreply 68Last Monday at 8:55 PM

R65

Fair enough. For my part, the smallest apartment I ever lived in had a surprising amount of storage which worked well for me. But, as far as this property goes, I'd assume most who would do well in it either are minimalists or don't live there full time.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Monday at 9:09 PM

As others mentioned, it would be an amazing guest house, but really doesn't qualify as a "home" IMO. I love Neutra's work, I love the neighborhood and place itself is very beautiful for what it is intended to be. All of that said, I really couldn't be comfortable living there 365 days a year; if my budget only allowed for this one purchase, I would have to pass.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Tuesday at 3:10 AM

..in a heart beat!

by Anonymousreply 71Last Tuesday at 3:13 AM

I wonder if you really could build a second floor. Expand the kitchen pushing into that alcove in the living room and opening up the entire downstairs into one space, then put a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom on the new second floor. It still wouldn't be a huge house, but it would be very livable for one person or a couple.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Tuesday at 11:56 AM

I love the place except for the fact that there is some obvious repair work done on the exterior below the circular row of windows, and they did not do a good job of making it look like the original surface. It REALLY bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Tuesday at 12:38 PM

I adore it. Where's my 1.6 million? Paging, Lotto? Come in!

by Anonymousreply 74Last Tuesday at 12:54 PM

[quote]A walk-in closet in a home that size is ridiculous. The kitchen appliances should be scaled down to fit. Get rid of the huge fridge and put one in that fits under the counter. Someone who lives in a home that size doesn't need a huge refrigerator.

R64, I also live in a place that's almost exactly the same size, but with a considerably better layout. I have both a separate bedroom as well as a (small) walk-in closet. The living area has a galley-style kitchen running along one side, but I can handily fit my living room set (sofa plus three chairs + coffee table), home office area (including a 4' x 6' desk) & small breakfast table with two chairs in it. It's mid-century and was gut reno'd a few years back, but in my case with quality gear (Bosch appliances & terrazzo stone floors) that doesn't eat up a huge amount of space.

I suspect the fridge in the Neutra place merely "looks" big given the camera angle. It's more likely something like the model at link, which is what I have (and I've seen similar styles in other similarly compact apartments/condos). I admittedly have a tiny combo convection/microwave oven, as well as an irritating Euro-style combo washer/dryer unit, but I just use it for socks/underwear & take other stuff to the dry cleaners. (I do have a full-size dishwasher, which is much appreciated.)

And just to be clear, I downsized into one – intentionally – from a 2,000 sq ft house. I bought it thinking I'd have tons of houseguests & huge dinner parties, but then realized that's about two weeks a year, and the rest was being wasted on upkeep for a nearly 100-year-old house with outrageous utility bills. I'm a single man with no pets or kids, and until I find the hubby of my dreams, my condo will more than suffice. I Marie Kondo'd my stuff down to the essentials, and sold or donated the remainder. While its proximity to a popular public staircase would be a dealbreaker for me even absent its batshit-crazy price, I'd definitely live there if it was more like one-third the price and private (assuming I could rip out the non-period kitchen/bathroom renos).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75Last Tuesday at 1:20 PM

Yeah....no.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Tuesday at 1:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!