Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bryant Gumbel

The worst, most cringeworthy interviewer ever with his smug affected manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 11:30 AM

I'll always remember him for "What is 'internet'?"

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 1:10 AM

Gumbel was always arrogant.

Mary handled that with class. She was such a gorgeous woman.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 1:12 AM

Bumble was / is a pig.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 1:14 AM

One of my favorite Letterman bits is when he had Bryant: The Musical on a marquee floating behind his desk.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote] smug affected manner.

Worse than Brando.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 1:19 AM

Mary probably would have talked shit back to him if this was a social setting and not a televised interview with his face resting in his hand saying that she's not answering what he asked her.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 1:21 AM

Years ago, my husband was interviewed by Gumbel on "Today". While I don't recall anything about the interview (except the outfit my hubby wore, which I had selected. Never wear glen plaid slacks on TV! They will cause headache-inducing optical illusions.) but I do recall encountering Gumbel in the green room. Even then, he had a rep for being an imperious diva so I was expecting the worst. To my surprise, he was completely charming,. He chatted cordially and posed for photos with us. On the other hand, "jolly" weather balloon, Al Roker was a sour puss. The greatest part, though, was hanging with handsome 007, Roger Moore, who was fun and naughty and suggested we remove our clothes for a photo!

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 1:22 AM

He talked on air about golfing over the weekend and the "anklets" he wore.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2021 5:01 AM

Roger did?

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2021 5:05 AM

I saw him on "Finding Your Roots". He says he's mellowed with age, and did he seem more eccentric than arrogant. He looked OK for 72. On the show his DNA test revealed he's 7% Ashkenazi Jewish, which he didn't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 4:59 AM

I'm WHITE, Mama! Left his black wife for a white woman.

In her divorce papers, his ex said he made fun of her, saying "She'd be driving a bus in Louisiana if she hadn't met me".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 6:03 AM

She should have slapped his smug little bitch face. HARD. So many journalists are just worthless assholes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 7:09 AM

Gumbel is a typical east coast media elite baby boomer scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 7:22 AM

Before cancelling people became a thing - Bryant Gumbel was cancelled. His memo leaked, Katie Couric was treated badly by him and he was G O N E.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 7:30 AM

I love Mary Wilson. I worked with her briefly. She was lovely, kind, friendly and professional. Her show was a blast.

I also worked at a venue where Diane performed. She was unfriendly and not pleasant to be around; some goes for her people. Her show was great, typical Ross, the boss superstar.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 7:33 AM

Mary Wilson is a class act. I totally forgot BG had gone to CBS after he left NBC. He indeed got way too close to her face towards the end there.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 10:19 AM

Didn't he and his brother, network sportscaster Greg, live with their millions, while their mother was left to live in a housing project?

and:

During a bitter 2000 divorce battle, Bryant admitted to numerous infidelities during his 27-year marriage. He then cut off his wife’s funds even as he was spotted squiring blond girlfriend Hilary Quinlan around town.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 11:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!