Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Manchin to vote against Neera Tanden — likely sinking her OMB nomination

Mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 25, 2021 6:58 PM

Good. She wanted the U.S. to bill Libya for us destabilizing their country. Appointing ghouls like her to any bureaucratic position shows how out-of-touch the Biden administration is.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2021 8:49 PM

Much as I dislike Manchin, he's probably right about this. She's a divisive appointment.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2021 10:34 PM

NO she is not. Biden needs to have a talk with Manchin who is doing the Repug's dirty work.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2021 10:36 PM

She shouldn’t be confirmed, but not for the reasons he’s listed. Her tweets are irrelevant. She is a bad nominee and completely unqualified. This is one of the most obvious examples of someone being rewarded for “paying their dues” that I’ve ever seen.

My question is what Bernie is going to do.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2021 10:36 PM

[Quote] Much as I dislike Manchin, he's probably right about this. She's a divisive appointment.

Which appointment isn’t a divisive one? That’s an idiotic statement.

The GOP just hates her because she’s a smart minority

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2021 10:48 PM

[Quote] She shouldn’t be confirmed, but not for the reasons he’s listed. Her tweets are irrelevant. She is a bad nominee and completely unqualified.

Yet he was fine with Ben Carson to lead HUD, Betsy DeVos for Education, Rick Perry as Secretary of Energy, and on and on and on

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2021 10:51 PM

How dare she have a partisan opinion when half ten government is full of white supremacists who work only to make the rich even richer???!!

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2021 10:52 PM

This is utter bullshit. How did Manchin vote on all of Trump’s nominees? If he voted for them, then the Dems need to throw his ass out the fucking door. I’m TIRED.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2021 11:20 PM

Her voice alone should disqualify her. Thanks Joe M!

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2021 11:21 PM

This headline may as well be written in archaic Greek, there’s words I notice, but they have no meaning.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2021 11:27 PM

R4 Knows what he is talking about. Neera is utterly unqualified for this position. And, she is extremely corrupt. The odd thing is, no one wants to call her out on this. But, if pretending that mean tweets are enough to sink her candidacy then that is good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2021 11:28 PM

Manchin keeps going on and on about keeping the filibuster to preserve bipartisanship "in the name of Robert Byrd."

Who used the filibuster to block every piece of civil rights legislature for 50 years.

In case you wondered where Manchin's coming from by objecting to confirming a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2021 11:29 PM

She’s not qualified. I’m surprised she was the nominee put forth, especially since most everyone else Biden nominated is top-notch.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2021 11:33 PM

R13 Mayo Pete wasn’t qualified

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2021 11:46 PM

i'm ok with whatever reason he has. really, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2021 11:48 PM

She is worse than AOC and a true twitter trollwoman. She is nasty and good riddance. I am quite disappointed that Joe even thought highly enough to give her a nomination. Bad move Joe! Move on.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2021 11:52 PM

R6 that’s such a dumb ass argument. So since the last cabinet was horrible and unqualified that means this cabinet should be too?

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2021 11:59 PM

She’s not only divisive, she’s also despicable. What kind of person would support her?

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2021 12:15 AM

I hope that 'likely' becomes 'officially'.

She's one of the worst options to be involved in anything. Great example of one hand washing the other in politics though. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2021 12:27 AM

Why doesn't Joe just pick people who are the most qualified? What the hell does Pete know about Transportation? Or Becerra, with absolutely no expertise in the department Joe wants him in? Just go by merit, period.

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2021 12:30 AM

Pete is clearly being pushed on the public for some reason

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2021 12:31 AM

Joe is just checking boxes. "I picked the first black lesbian to pick her nose in the oval office, I picked the first transexual Eskimo to fart on Capitol Hill, etc"

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2021 12:37 AM

R22 Look at the triggered white Supremacist. Poor whittle thing

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2021 12:41 AM

Racists gonna racist.

Biden's not withdrawing her nomination. That could get fun.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2021 12:42 AM

[quote]Pete is clearly being pushed on the public for some reason

What a strange statement to make on a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2021 12:45 AM

Neera will not make it no matter what Joe tries to do. Too many knives out for this nasty woman.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2021 1:02 AM

Neera for OMB? Nope, Manchin makes a good call.

Pete is the best cabinet pic.

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2021 1:29 AM

[quote] Neera is utterly unqualified for this position. And, she is extremely corrupt.

Um, instead of the typical name calling, please give some examples of her being "extremely corrupt" and why isn't she qualified.

Even the GOP just leaves it at "She wrote alot of tweets that shows she doesn't like us."

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2021 1:55 AM

I don't recall a single of Trump's cabinet nominees be rejected--and they were all unqualified hacks except that many were billionaires.

Ben Carson? Betsy Devos? Tom Price? and on and on and on and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 29February 20, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] Neera for OMB? Nope, Manchin makes a good call.

Right wing troll alert

by Anonymousreply 30February 20, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] She’s not only divisive, she’s also despicable. What kind of person would support her?

You don't know her. How much is Putin paying you?

by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2021 1:57 AM

That fucker voted for Jeff Sessions for AG and Brett Kavanaugh for the Sup0emes.Fuck him. He's pissed off because of a few tweets? Really? Hey, you dumb fuck? That excuse might play well in West Virginia among the Trumpers who were born stupid, but you look like a horse's ass and a conniving POS who is Mitch McConnell's butt boy. Mitch only needed to find one weak assed opportunist on the Dems' side. You probably were for sale cheaper than most.

by Anonymousreply 32February 20, 2021 1:59 AM

[quote]then the Dems need to throw his ass out the fucking door. I’m TIRED.

They can try to get rid of Manchin... and he’ll be replaced with a Republican. I’m sure the R’s would love to get rid of Susan Collins, but you don’t see her going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 33February 20, 2021 2:00 AM

Biden felt he needed to give Pete a consolation prize for a somewhat respectable showing in the primaries for a gay man with zero chance of getting the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 34February 20, 2021 2:27 AM

Manchin is full of shit as usual and is not a real Democrat. I'm so pissed we didn't win the Maine, Iowa and North Carolina senate seats so his vote wouldn't matter

This piece of shit voted to confirm Sessions the racist as AG, Kavanaugh for SC, Rick Grenell and Barr for AG. How is Neera Tanden any worse than those fucks? She's not!

by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2021 2:40 AM

What world are you living in when you think she's more corrupt than Jeff Sessions, or less partisan and unqualified than Betsy DeVos?

And do the "Pete is EVIL!!!" trolls have to invade every thread?

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2021 2:43 AM

Maybe Neera will be the sacrificial lamb. Biden needs Manchin on the Relief package. He gets him for that, but loses him on Tanden?

by Anonymousreply 37February 20, 2021 3:15 AM

Good

by Anonymousreply 38February 20, 2021 3:48 AM

Voting rights need to be reformed first so the Dems can flip enough Senate seats, so that they're not dependent on this Civil War artifact for votes.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2021 3:51 AM

As far as Pete goes, he worked his ass off for Joe Biden during the general election campaign. He impressed everyone with his personality and his kindness and his smarts. He even helped Kamala with debate prep. And no one was better at trolling the GOP right there on Fox. He would go on Fox TV and shred them right in their faces. So do not tell me anything about how Joe threw him something for nothing. He earned that posting.

I'm fucking sick of these trolls who think they can smear Neera Tanden with innuendo and B.S. UNSUBSTANTIATED. You have information, credible information, bring it. Otherwise, STFU.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2021 4:28 AM

We need a fucking turncoat Republican to make up for Manchin. Because Manchin is for sale and Mitch will definitely buy him.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2021 4:29 AM

Pete was offered this position and turned it down because it wasn’t good enough for him. He’s a douche. His getting a cabinet position was a reward for dropping out before Super Tuesday. He didn’t earn shit.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2021 4:31 AM

For all of you supporters, if she is SO innocent, then why did she delete over 1000 tweets? Let's have transparency and see those tweets! If there is nothing to hide, then it should be fine. In the meantime, JM is correct.

by Anonymousreply 43February 20, 2021 6:01 AM

Most moderate Dems are not fans of Neera, and really don't mind that Joe Manchin will sink her. It is the far left who think she is fantastic and are peeved. The party will survive without this woman at OMB.

by Anonymousreply 44February 20, 2021 11:45 AM

You have it backwards R44. The far left is the one that hates her because she attacked Bernie, punched someone who dared to ask Hillary about her vote for the War in Iraq during a q&a at CAP, and came out in favor of cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2021 12:06 PM

Republicans love when Democrats are in power.

All they have to do is sit back, relax, munch on popcorn and watch as the Democrats engage in their petty, intra-party bickering (for which they are so famous) like this one and self-implode in front of a laughing nation.

by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2021 12:08 PM

She’s up for WH Budget Office. What “relevant” experience does one even need for that?

The GOP doesn’t like that she has their number. THAT’s the only reason they’re blocking her

by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2021 12:20 PM

[Quote] Pete was offered this position and turned it down because it wasn’t good enough for him. He’s a douche. His getting a cabinet position was a reward for dropping out before Super Tuesday. He didn’t earn shit.

Except he’s actually smart and has had executive experience (albeit as a mayor). What experience did Ben Carson have? Betsy DeVos?

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2021 12:23 PM

R48 I love that argument. “The last cabinet was incompetent so this cabinet deserves to be incompetent too!”

Pete knows absolutely nothing about transportation and infrastructure. Absolutely nothing. If Biden was truly picking the most qualified people for these positions he wouldn’t have chosen Pete.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2021 1:41 PM

[quote]Pete knows absolutely nothing about transportation and infrastructure.

Not only that, but when he was mayor of his little bumfuck town, people constantly complained about how bad the roads were. He couldn't even manage infrastructure in his own town.

by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2021 1:51 PM

As Manchin has to show some independence for his WV voters, I'm hoping that Tanden is a mere sacrificial lamb that allows him space to vote for perhaps abolishing the filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 51February 20, 2021 1:56 PM

The way you Bernie goons hate on Pete is just too much.

by Anonymousreply 52February 20, 2021 2:05 PM

Pete was a consummate performer during the campaign.

POC ✅ New ✅ NA✅ Catholic ✅ Italian✅ Irish ✅ Hispanic ✅ Gay - we need a gay, Ahhh Pete will do.

by Anonymousreply 53February 20, 2021 2:22 PM

Neocunt, so no loss.

by Anonymousreply 54February 20, 2021 2:30 PM

We need Joe Manchin to help abolish the filli and then to vote to re-instate the voters rights act. This is VERY important and moderate and something liberal Dems can all get around.

by Anonymousreply 55February 20, 2021 2:43 PM

All the Pete comments are from the same idiot.

by Anonymousreply 56February 20, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote]If he voted for them, then the Dems need to throw his ass out the fucking door. I’m TIRED.

Uhm, then Mitch becomes Majority Leader again, and Biden's agenda vanishes. You're not only TIRED you're STUPID.

Manchin likes what he likes, but in his Senate career has never voted against his caucus when they needed every vote. Never. Maybe he will this time, maybe it's theater, maybe Joe Biden already has a GOP Senate vote horse-traded into his pocket? I cannot believe how naive so many are about these things.

by Anonymousreply 57February 20, 2021 2:53 PM

If Manchin was a Republican then he would switch his party and win his elections by 20 points instead of barely squeaking by. He is a democrat and has been a loyal soldier for democrats for years. All of this confirmation votes were theater-they were going to be confirmed anyway and he needed the vote to run on in West Virginia.

Either Manchin knows Tanden will be confirmed anyway or it’s been decided that she will be the sacrificial lamb and she won’t be confirmed. I can’t see Manchin being the sole reason that a Biden nominee doesn’t get confirmed. That’s not who he is.

by Anonymousreply 58February 20, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]She’s up for WH Budget Office. What “relevant” experience does one even need for that?

Do you even know what the office does?

[quote]OMB prepares the president's budget proposal to Congress and supervises the administration of the executive branch agencies. It evaluates the effectiveness of agency programs, policies, and procedures, assesses competing funding demands among agencies, and sets funding priorities. OMB ensures that agency reports, rules, testimony, and proposed legislation are consistent with the president's budget and administration policies. OMB also oversees and coordinates the administration's procurement, financial management, information, and regulatory policies. In each of these areas, OMB's role is to help improve administrative management, develop better performance measures and coordinating mechanisms, and reduce unnecessary burdens on the public.

by Anonymousreply 59February 20, 2021 3:54 PM

Manchin is a toadstool, but she's a terrible, poorly-thought out choice. I hope she goes down in flames.

by Anonymousreply 60February 20, 2021 4:00 PM

[Quote] Biden's not withdrawing her nomination. That could get fun.

Yes, watching her nomination get voted down in the senate will be fun. Putting her up for a vote, only to go down in flames will be well deserved karma for her, considering how awful she has been to pregnant women, victims of sexual assault, Libyans, Palestinians, victims of NYPD brutality, Bernie supporters and anyone who isn't rich or well connected.

by Anonymousreply 61February 20, 2021 4:09 PM

Biden is an idiot not to withdraw her

by Anonymousreply 62February 20, 2021 5:04 PM

I actually think this is a really good sign. All but ensures that Manchin is going to vote for Biden’s COVID relief bill. There’s absolutely no way he would torpedo both the bill and the nomination.

I’m leaning towards thinking Tanden is being used as the sacrificial lamb.

by Anonymousreply 63February 20, 2021 5:06 PM

r43 Who gives a fuck what she tweeted? Did you sleep through the last four years of a President who called people names on twitter, made fun of the disabled and incited an insurrection? Fuck you and every Republican who now pretends to care about bad manners. Fuck the entire hypocritical lot of you. You and your ilk should be completely ignored or simply laughed at.

by Anonymousreply 64February 20, 2021 5:15 PM

I highly doubt Joe Manchin would win or lose an election in West Viginny because he blocked Neera Tanden. I bet 95% of those people have never heard of her. He should have just been a good Democrat and voted yes.

by Anonymousreply 65February 20, 2021 5:21 PM

Just as we were lucky to have Doug Jones for his brief Senate term, we are most fortunate to have someone from West Virginia voting with the Democrats to organize the Senate. So let's cut Manchin a lot of slack.

by Anonymousreply 66February 20, 2021 6:33 PM

Once again the Dem show how terrible they are at politics.

The GOP marches in lock step. It approved every nitwit Trump nominated. And the Dems are fractured from the beginning

by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2021 8:23 PM

Her nomination is likely dead in the water

Romney will oppose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2021 2:30 PM

R9 is the right answer. That voice of hers can cut glass.

For all of you going on and on with the whataboutism of Betsy DeVos, Bill Barr, Rick Perry, etc., you should be smart enough to realize that argument is stupid and a complete losing position. Just because other idiots made it through doesn't mean that this idiot should make it through. Other than going for diversity (which I'm all for, but the person still has to be a good choice), I never understood why she was the nominee. I hope she is withdrawn.

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2021 2:41 PM

Manchin is wavering. For the life of me, I don't understand why the fuck Biden is wasting so much political capital on a fucking ghoul like Neera Tanden. It makes no sense at all. She's divisive, pisses off large segments of the political spectrum, is abusive to her staff, opposes unions, promotes war and assaulted a journalist, to name just a few of her problems. The only thing I can think of is that Hillary and her team are demanding she be put in. My bet, based on what I've been hearing, is that if the senate refuses to confirm her, the administration is going to wait for a recess to be called to install her as acting OMB director for 2 years. It's so fucking stupid to antagonize people over this, rather than using political muscle to get $2000 stimulus checks or an increased minimum wage or cancelled student loan debt, but patronage matters more than policy in DC. This is going to blow up in their faces and they will not expect it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2021 11:06 PM

The amplification of the Epipen scandal by famous liberals like George Takei, while a totally legitimate line of attack, is only going to further alienate Manchin and sink Neera's nomination permanently. I do think this is by design, though. Once it is gone (whether Neera gets installed as acting OMB director or not), the party is going after him hard to destroy him. Opposing a minimum wage hike? Meh, not a problem. Against stimulus checks? Whatever. Denying a ghoul like Neera Tanden a cabinet position in the Biden administration? All hell is breaking loose!!!!! 😛

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2021 3:04 PM

R61 and R63 are both correct.

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2021 3:06 PM

Why is Biden pushing her so badly?

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2021 3:10 PM

Not a well liked lady, sounds like burned a few bridges to say the least...

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2021 3:20 PM

The Biden WH is fighting harder to get Neera confirmed than it is for $15 minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 75February 24, 2021 3:29 PM

The people concerned about Neera Tanden’s incivility sure didn’t seem to mind the Trump era’s.

Many of Trumps cabinet nominee said terrible things about Dems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2021 8:36 PM

Why does the GOP get to pretend it runs the Senate?

by Anonymousreply 77February 24, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] The Biden WH is fighting harder to get Neera confirmed than it is for $15 minimum wage.

The minimum wage battle will come when the bill is actually scheduled to be voted on.

by Anonymousreply 78February 24, 2021 8:38 PM

Wow the Biden team is really expending a ton of political capital on this. Frankly, it's outrageous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 25, 2021 6:18 PM

Joe Manchin is just pissy because Neera called out his daughter. His daughter, Heather Bresch, the CEO of Mylan, makers of epipen. When they upped the cost of the epipen by 500% she called it out as corrupt on Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 25, 2021 6:28 PM

If Biden trades reopening oil drilling in Alaska in exchange for Neera Tanden, people should riot. This is outrageous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 25, 2021 6:47 PM

If that little TIger Girl Tracy Flick reporter hasn't ambushed Lisa Murkowski with Neera's mean girl tweets, she might have slipped through. Why we should still hate the media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 25, 2021 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!