Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it worth it to travel 5 hours for the vaccine?

All the available appointments are in upstate New York, around Rochester area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 5:32 PM

Yes - or would you rather get COVID and die?

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2021 3:30 AM

Only if the weather is decent. I’ve made the drive to Buffalo in bad snowstorms and that’s riskier than just waiting for more appointments in NYC to open up.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2021 3:33 AM

R2, that's what I'm thinking.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2021 3:34 AM

Remember, you'd have to do it twice.

They've seen that the one shot version is much less effective against the newer strains of the virus. Also, the one shot version reduces the effectiveness of the two shot version.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2021 3:35 AM

What else do you have to do? Turn grindr on and hit the road....You will be fresh meat

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2021 3:35 AM

Are you 65 or older OP? CVS and Walgreens announced today that they are only vaccinating people over 65 so that may help speed it up.

If not. and you are able to make the round trip drive twice, and aren’t afraid to stay at a hotel if you can’t do the round trip drive on the same day, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2021 3:36 AM

Wait because Friday afternoon seems to be when Javitts has appointments.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2021 3:36 AM

Yes. Live, Agnes, live!

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2021 3:36 AM

If you have to ask, you should probably just stay home and die.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2021 3:37 AM

Also if NYC gets a lot of snow tomorrow go to vaccine sites to see if they have cancellations. That worked for my friend. If nothing works, then drive but not in bad weather.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2021 3:39 AM

Maybe it would be faster to go to Bermuda.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2021 3:44 AM

I could take a train or fly as alternative to driving. I would have to stay in hotel over night on either option. I'm not in the over 65 category. Thanks for the tips R7 and R10.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2021 4:32 AM

R12, getting to the vaccine site seems a whole lot riskier than waiting until you can get it locally.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2021 5:50 PM

What is in the city of Potsdam, NY? It is the only city that still has lots of opening for vaccine appointments, and has had openings for the past few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2021 1:19 PM

I’m driving over 90 minutes for my partner’s second COVID vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2021 1:44 PM

I'd wait it out - there will be more coming.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2021 1:51 PM

Pick me up a Covid Cabbage Patch Doll-there's only 5 left!

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2021 2:53 PM

I'd want to get the vaccine as soon as possible, if that means a little road trip so be it.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2021 2:54 PM

Try the local group connected to Vaccine Hunters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2021 5:14 PM

OP here. I was able to land a local one for this week. Thanks for the tips, especially, R19! The NY page on that link was VERY helpful. It gives all kinds of inside ways to use the sites and real time info for getting appointments in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2021 7:11 PM

Great news, OP!

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2021 7:36 PM

Don’t you get an appointment for the second shot at the same place? That would be two trips.

Just keep trying where you live

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2021 8:01 PM

I traveled 2 and a half hours. Got me out of the house and saw an area I’d never been. They automatically made the second booster appointment there so just went back and got it over with. Brought a small lunch and sat in the park afterward. Made for a pleasant day.

Better to have travel time than be on a ventilator.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2021 8:07 PM

Make a nice weekend of it, OP. Book a cozy B&B in Aurora and do some wine tasting. Then do it again in three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] Brought a small lunch and sat in the park afterward.

Boy! Not vaccinated for a minute and right back to cruising.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2021 9:28 PM

I had my first shot this morning, here in Texas. The second shot is already on their schedule in March. Having gotten mine now, I feel relieved that one major barrier to my future has been removed. Now I can do some long-term planning, something that was too iffy to consider this past year.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2021 11:32 PM

Be prepared to feel awful after each shot. I got the Pfizer shots and was really sick the day after each one. Got better in about 36 hours.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2021 11:53 PM

I got the Moderna and had no after effects.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!