Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No great surprise but FLEETWOOD MAC is done at last.....

I'm actually glad that their legacy won't be further tarnished by Stevie Nicks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 4:48 PM

Ugh, sounds like they're chumming the water for one of those Final Farewell Tour! money-grabs.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2021 4:25 PM

I see a big fat "probably" in the headline.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2021 4:25 PM

I love them, but they should have stopped touring years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2021 4:28 PM

Good. That last tour was a joke and they are getting way too old to rock. Madame Nicks is not sprightly any longer and her twirls now have a geriatric quality to them. Mick Jagger take note.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2021 4:29 PM

Anyone can be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2021 4:33 PM

Christine admitted that she's too old and can't do it anymore. John is finished due to health reasons. Stevie is finished for unclear but easy-to-assume reasons (she's ancient and overweight, she can't sing anymore, she cashed out her catalogue, she doesn't want to record new music, etc). Lindsey was famously fired. Mick is the only one who'd be into it but he can't drum alone onstage. Not with a bang but a whimper.....

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2021 4:35 PM

Stevie was bitching about how coronavirus robbed her of the ability to tour. But I think that was before she cashed out on her catalogue.

[quote] "This pandemic is more than just a pandemic for me. This is stealing what I consider to be my last youthful years,” Nicks told The Associated Press. “I don’t have just 10 years to hang around and wait for this thing to go away. I have places to go, people to sing for, another album to make. With every day that goes by, it’s like taking this time away from me...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2021 4:49 PM

In 2017 they had a rare opportunity to draw the band to a close in a dignified and eventful manner. It was the 50th anniversary of the band, the 40th anniversary of RUMOURS and they had a new record set to go (which morphed into BUCKINGHAM/MCVIE), but Stevie back out of it after publicly announcing that she was participating. Instead of having 2017 be the last truly "big year" of Fleetwood Mac, it all fell apart in a messy, ugly, senseless and public manner, followed by an embarrassingly off-key (if lucrative) tour with replacement musicians.

Was it worth it, Stevie?

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2021 4:50 PM

What the fuck was the point of firing Buckingham if they were just going to call it quits? Stevie should have sucked it up and done a 3 month farewell tour and made mucho money. They all look ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2021 4:51 PM

They all have cocaine dementia.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2021 4:52 PM

They have a wonderful legacy, but it's time to call it a day. It really is.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2021 4:55 PM

FLEETWAS MAC

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2021 5:01 PM

Did they not make enough money? Who the hell wants to be still working in their seventies, let alone doing a grueling concert tour? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2021 5:24 PM

People who don't see music and art as "work"?

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2021 5:26 PM

Are you 12, R14?

A concert tour is most assuredly work. Ask anyone who's actually done it.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2021 5:37 PM

Writing music and recording albums = art

Touring = grunt work for $$$

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2021 5:43 PM

Hopefully Paul McCartney will retire too. He cannot sing anymore. It's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2021 6:29 PM

Fleetwood Mac died the moment Stevie Nicks sucked Mick Fleetwood's 'Tusk'. The band never recovered from that.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2021 9:09 PM

Christine is 77, and while I'm glad she's fine, every extreme geriatric still doing rock and roll is just being silly.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2021 9:25 PM

No wonder Mick was kissing Lindsey’s ass in his recent interviews going on how Linds was completely “loyal and dedicated” to stevie and how he only wanted Lindsey in the band in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2021 9:33 PM

R20 Mick is one of the slimiest people to ever be in music. Everyone blames the drama on Lindsey and Stevie but he provided the stage, poked them, and then handed out tickets to the trainwreck with glee. Also he was banging teenagers back in the 70s and putting raw meat inside groupies.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2021 9:39 PM

Why did Stevie getting with Mick end the band? Totally completely plausible but never heard this idea before

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 9:47 PM

R22 Tusk was Mick's way of saying sorry to Lindsey for fucking Stevie. Sleeping with coworkers is never a good idea, especially when someone's ex is also a coworker. Mick was the 'boss man' so he had to show Lindsey that he wasn't showing favoritism to Stevie so he gave into every single one of Lindsey's indulgences. Lindsey needed to be reeled in and whittle down the songs to single album length. The financial loss of Tusk ruined them. It's a great album but they were just straight corporate rock after that. The long recording process of Tusk also allowed Stevie time to branch off into her solo career. Don't even get me started on that trash music.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2021 10:04 PM

[R22] It didn't. Mick told Lindsey about his affair with Stevie and Lindsey's reaction was sort of "whatever." They were so drugged out at the time "nothing surprised anyone" to paraphrase Lindsey. He did refer to Mick as "piggy in the middle" in his song WRONG about his split from the band and Mick b.s. lies from his ghostwritten "autobiography." Despite whatever's happened, Lindsey does like Mick but Stevie's had him by the balls ($$$$) for a long time. It's no surprise that Stevie, Lindsey and Mick recently selling their catalogues for HUGE money has changed the dynamic of things. No one needs anyone else financially at this point, even Mick (for now).

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2021 10:04 PM

R24 You really honestly think notorious control freak Lindsey was not bothered at all by Mick and Stevie sleeping together and fucking with the band dynamic? They are all proficient fabulists.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2021 10:09 PM

[R23] Where did you get that version of the story from because in my understanding that's not the way it happened. Lindsey was getting very musically frustrated as a young man (he was 29-30 when Tusk was recorded and released in 1979) tethered to a hit-making "dinosaur" band at a time when all sort of new sounds were coming out. He told Mick that his songs "weren't coming out like I hear them in my head" and needed to branch out or possibly leave the band. There's no way that Mick, who'd struggled for years and years with less-than crackling versions of FM, was going to forfeit their success by allowing Lindsey to walk out the door.

I would also take exception with the notion that they were "straight corporate rock" after Tusk. That's simply not true. Lindsey poured as much effort into producing Mirage and Tango as he did the other records, but with a new understanding that his further "left" work now had a solo outlet. HEART, JOURNEY, PAT BENETAR, BILLY SQUIRE and FOREIGNER were "straight corporate rock" whereas FM were always unpredictable and consistently artistic.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2021 10:16 PM

Why is Neil Finn in that picture next to Stevie?

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2021 10:19 PM

R25, It did bother Lindsey because not soon after Mick’s confessioned he had a drug indused nervous breakdown went in the shower and cut off all his hair with nail scissors.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2021 10:23 PM

R26 Mirage was a "reconciliation of opposites" and Tango was made under the duress of Mick Fleetwood needing money (hits). After Tusk they hired Azoff to manage the band and Lindsey was neutered. Pressure from Azoff/Mick/Stevie meant 3 months to work on Mirage while Tusk and Rumours took over a year and Stevie was MIA for both Mirage and Tango. Everything after Tusk absolutely strides the corporate rock line.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2021 10:29 PM

[R28] I doubt there was a cause-and-effect relationship between those events. Lindsey was living with Carol Ann Harris at the time and was deeply involved with her. Lindsey cutting off his hair was a symbolic line-in-the-sand indicating that the RUMOURS era was over and that he was moving on to other things whether the rest of the band liked it or not. It was do-or-die time for him as an artist.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2021 10:30 PM

[R29] Lindsey never approached a producing assignment as "corporate rock." Lindsey privately resolved that Tango was his last album with the band and worked extra-hard on it - 18 months - because he wasn't wholly satisfied with Mirage and didn't want it to be the band's last record.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2021 10:33 PM

[R29] And Azoff didn't come into the picture until much, much later. They all had separate managers during Mirage and Tango.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2021 10:34 PM

R30 because people absolutely never get pissed off when their ex, who is also their co-worker is now sleeping with their boss/presumed friend? That's would put the majority of people in a toxic headspace. Flight of the Concords said it best:

[quote]When you're in a band, you don't get with your bandmate's girlfriend - past or present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2021 10:35 PM

Stevie was managed by Howard Kaufman and Sheryl Louis for years and years and she was managed by Frontline management at the time of Tango (referenced in the "Frontline baby" line from "Welcome to the Room, Sara"). She was also repped by a company Weasel Management, which she fired before the disastrous STREET ANGEL in 1994 (she mentioned them on David Letterman - and "weasel" could well be a joke). I believe Azoff got involved around THE DANCE (1997).

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2021 10:39 PM

IMO, Lindsey was bothered by Mick's & Stevie's "affair." Even if Lindsey had a new woman (plus children) in his life, he still was bothered.

Mick seems really bad with money, really bad (even if you ignore all the money he spent on drugs). Why does he always seem like he needs to tour, etc.?

In retrospect, Tusk did seem self-indulgent. Should have been edited down to one album.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Mick Fleetwood would show up in his coffin and lie alone on the floor in front of the drum set is he could have his way.

Because, as far as he's concerned, he's always been the ringmaster and it always has been all about him.

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2021 10:50 PM

R36 To be fair, the band is called FLEETWOOD Mac and the band had 10 studio albums before Stevie and Lindsey joined. His most lucrative skill is sniffing out talent, and he's an excellent drummer.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2021 10:59 PM

So it looks like Mick will be drumming for Lindsey’s tour in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2021 11:04 PM

[R38] Really? Are you serious? One thing I must say and that Mick and John were the best rhythm section in pop/rock music. Rare for a rhythm section to have its own distinctive sounds.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2021 11:07 PM

Will it be "Buckingham Fleetwood" or "Fleetwood Buckingham"? They are not very original with their band names. Mick can still play very well. They need to hook up with some younger musicians because Buckingham cannot sing anymore. Maybe get Brandon Flowers to sing, lol.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2021 11:16 PM

None of them can play and sing properly anymore. Haven't for years. That's why for the past several tours they've hired additional people to play and sing with them and cover up FM's flubs.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2021 11:23 PM

I think it was longtime FM Sideman Brett Tuggle or Mick(?) who confirmed that John Paul White the female/male musical duo of Civil Wars was supposed to replaced Lindsey for vocals but got Neil instead.

Here he is with his very buckingham/nicks band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote]What the fuck was the point of firing Buckingham if they were just going to call it quits? Stevie should have sucked it up and done a 3 month farewell tour and made mucho money. They all look ridiculous.

They probably thought they could squeeze a couple of more years out of touring before they called it quits. But the pandemic threw a wrench into those plans. And with no one knowing when things will get back to fully normal, they probably feel it just isn't worth the hassle anymore of planning and waiting around. Hence why Fleetwood and Nicks cashed in on their catalogues. People trashed Stevie's statement as self indulgent, but it's truthful for her. She's not getting any younger and this is pretty much it for her in terms of being a rock and roll act.

Don't be surprised if more veteran artists don't return to the road when things come back to normal. It also takes a lot of discipline to get back on the road. Tina turner said her last tour was incredibly difficult on her because she had been away from live performing for so long and her health issues were starting to impact her performing. It was all she could do to finish the tour. These older acts have had a year of downtime. It won't be so easy to get back into a rigorous performing schedule.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2021 11:46 PM

Stevie will deff still tour FM and solo till she’s 90 to escape the feeling of being alone.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2021 11:54 PM

Stevie could be 80, look like a turnip with a blond wig and still put on those boots and spin around on stage at 1 RPM.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2021 12:00 AM

Lindsey either needs to comb his hair over, wear a hat or shave his head because he look like an Art Garfunkel impersonator.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 12:01 AM

Is Stevie ever going to get sued for ripping Edge of 17 from that Police song? I hope so, lol.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2021 12:11 AM

R28 He was also coming off an epilepsy diagnosis after having a grand mal seizure at the end of the Rumours tour. Add alcohol, drugs, and your ex banging your friend and you get Tusk.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2021 1:50 AM

They have been awful lately. Christine out of tune, Stevie raggedy. They should have gone out on top. I hate this money grab they did as if they needed the money. Disgusting. I would never attend any more of their concerts.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2021 2:10 AM

Mick would hire four new musicians and tour as Fleetwood Mac if he could get away with it. He's replaced band members many, many times, and kept going. And he still made money on the tours. But he's never tried replacing John McVie.

Stevie can tour at 85, and people will still come to hear Rhiannon, Dreams, Landslide, and Gypsy (and Leather and Lace!). That's because she built her image on being a wise, mystical priestess instead of a sex bomb. And a wise, mystical priestess image works at any age. Some of the songs are even more poignant being sung by an older woman.

I don't think Lindsey would have anything to do with any of these people now, even if he begged them.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 2:14 AM

R39, he is that distributive FM rhythm section on a non FM song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 2:19 AM

Peter Hook needs a job. Might as well call up Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 4:48 AM

I still can’t get enough of this vid of a very coked out Lindsey. He is so twitchy in it and the 1982 mirage live concert one as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2021 7:10 AM

Honestly just continue the Spinal Tap legacy of having a new guitarist every show.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2021 7:20 PM

Now that all is said and done and the Fab 5 has disbanded beyond repair, maybe Lindsey should to a "poison dart" album directed at Stevie, no holds barred. Sarcastic, revealing and brilliant - something to make her squirm. That would be very, very funny. Songs about her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. A song mocking her horrible SHOW US THE WAY single of last year. A song about a lonely, past her prime ex-coke princess who hobbles around stage singing of her past loves. A song about a fat woman who sits in a penthouse condo day after day overlooking the beach at Santa Monica. A song about an old woman with hair extension who wears nothing but black. A song about a Chinese Crested Yorkie who leaps to her death over a balcony in order to escape her needy, narcissistic mistress.

It would drive her crazy!

by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2021 11:08 PM

Beyond "Songbird", I genuinely couldn't care less about that group. This no loss to me whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2021 11:13 PM

*This is no loss to me whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2021 11:14 PM

Every member of Fleetwood Mac seemed like they were one generation removed from white trash - especially Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 58February 12, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] "This pandemic is more than just a pandemic for me. This is stealing what I consider to be my last youthful years,” Nicks told The Associated Press. “I don’t have just 10 years to hang around and wait for this thing to go away. I have places to go, people to sing for, another album to make. With every day that goes by, it’s like taking this time away from me...."

OH NO!

by Anonymousreply 59February 12, 2021 2:31 AM

R55 let’s hope he avoids songwriting at this point. That last CD with Christine was so bad, his ship has sailed.

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2021 2:34 AM

R60 it was bad but not nearly as bad as whatever garbage Madame Nicks has been putting out with sex toy purveyor Dave Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2021 3:36 AM

These are the top 10 most streamed Fleetwood mac songs. Interesting that 2 of them weren't even singles.

Go Your Own Way 258,518,000 Dreams 188,229,000 Everywhere 154,221,000 Landslide 138,103,000 The Chain 121,974,000 Rhiannon 91,538,000 Never Goin Back Again 78,637,000 Little Lies 76,257,000 Don't Stop 60,889,000 Gypsy 50,655,000

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2021 8:49 PM

I just love how Stevie had Lindsey fired as an excuse to get her suddenly-jobless buddy Mike Campbell a regular gig, and now she leaves him twisting.

Hey Mike -- I hear Steely Dan's short a guitarist.

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2021 6:34 PM

R63 as time goes on I really do think Stevie wanting to give Mike one last big pay day was the reason Lindsey was fired. Mike always did whatever she told him to do and she was totally obsessed with Tom Petty, like stalking him kind of obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2021 6:38 PM

R64 Plus she knew Lindsey had to be out of the picture because he'd never agree to a second lead guitarist in the band.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2021 7:17 PM

They're all too fucking old to be touring. They're all in their fucking seventies! If ALL of them got back together to do I tour I wouldn't pay a dime to seem them. A bunch of old men and women onstage trying to still be rock stars...I think it was be a very sad thing to witness.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2021 8:00 PM

They all need to get on a tour plane one last time so it can go down in a FIERY ball.

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2021 8:15 PM

R62 you are obsessed with this - 75% of the posts here are yours. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2021 9:38 PM

[R63] Except that they had to pay out Lindsey an undisclosed amount based on the estimated $12 million he was set to earn from the tour. I'm sure Mick appreciates every penny.

by Anonymousreply 69February 16, 2021 6:54 PM

What a fucking joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2021 6:57 PM

Maybe Cher can fill in for Christine on nights where she's not up to it.

by Anonymousreply 71March 1, 2021 7:02 PM

[R70] Ugh, noooooooo! Please make it stop! Lindsey needs to stick to the message of his own song, Never Going Back Again. They've already alienated their longtime fans with their disloyalty and dysfunction. No mas.

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!