Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Siskel & Ebert : Worst of 1995

Unlike the previous years which were mostly forgotten box office busts, here we have some movies that have had some pretty heavy replay over the years. What do you think of these movies, DL?

[italic]Jade

[italic]Judge Dredd

[italic]Jury Duty

[italic]Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

[italic]Money Train

[italic]Mr. Payback

[italic]Showgirls

[italic]Tank Girl

[italic]The Jerky Boys

[italic]The Scarlet Letter

[italic]Vampire in Brooklyn

[italic]Waterworld

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2021 9:51 PM

Previous Year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2021 12:11 AM

I absolutely loved Waterworld. Dennis Hopper was terrific in it. Kevin Costner was very cute in it. There was some interesting world building in it and a great action sequence. I didn't understand why it was so widely panned.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2021 12:15 AM

I agree with OP. Waterworld was (is) watchable and surely the best film on this "bad" list of 12.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2021 12:18 AM

Showgirls is an underrated masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote]1995 was a bad film year overall

Why is that? Why are some years like 1999 full of great movies and others like 1995 so lacking?

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2021 12:25 AM

This is embarrassing, but the only one of those films I've seen is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I watched it over and over, yet the only scene I even remember now is one where they roller-bladed down a flight of steps, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2021 12:55 AM

Lol R6, don't be embarrassed. As Siskel and Ebert said in this video, we should blame our parents for letting us watch it. I also saw it. Several times. As did everyone who was under the age of 10 in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2021 1:22 AM

R4 the “showgirls is underrated” take has been gaining currency the last five years or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2021 7:28 AM

I only saw Waterworld and The Jerky Boys. I was a kid, but a film buff...

Waterworld actually wasnt that bad...it was just insanely expensive and had a hard time making its budget back. The Jerky Boys came out when I was obsessed with prank calls. It truly was bad, but I still enjoyed it.

I saw a few of the lists from the early 90s and apologized to my dad. He would always take us to the movies because we loved going, and apparently we made him see some pretty bad stuff!

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2021 9:08 AM

I saw Waterworld when it came out, I dont know why. I thought it was overblown garbage, and asked too much of my credulity

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2021 9:15 AM

I like vampire in Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2021 9:38 AM

[quote] "I thought Waterworld got a bad name for itself in the United States, but it did really well in Europe and Asia. I think the studio sort of shot themselves in the foot by announcing it was so over budget, blah blah blah, it's going to be a failure... All this came out before we released it in the States. But I enjoyed it."

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how Titanic escaped the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2021 9:14 PM

Jade- never saw it. Good cast. On Amazon Prime now. Remember the video always stood out at the video store because of the brilliant green.

Judge Dredd- loved this movie growing up. It accomplishes what it’s going for.

Jury Duty- I mean for a Pauley Shore movie it’s okay, probably his best after Bio-Dome.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers- have not and will not ever watch this.

Money Train- remember watching it and zoning out. It was boring. JHo is in it.

Mr. Payback- never heard of it.

Showgirls- camp fun.

Tank Girl-never seen it and probably won’t. Looks like Fifth Element meets Waterworld.

The Jerky Boys- never heard of it.

The Scarlet Letter- actually I want to see this. She’s a horrible actress but I love Demi.

Vampire in Brooklyn- an ugly, unfunny movie.

Waterworld- a really fun movie, great summer blockbuster. It’s goofy but that’s okay. I think it holds better as camp vs when it was first released.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2021 9:39 PM

Keep these going, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Jade was a mess-terpiece

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote]This is embarrassing, but the only one of those films I've seen is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I watched it over and over, yet the only scene I even remember now is one where they roller-bladed down a flight of steps, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

Hell, I had never seen the show, but I was an adult and went one sold out Saturday night on NY's Upper West Side. It was a silly goofy two hours. Wasn't expecting "Ghandi". It entertained me enough.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2021 9:45 PM

R14 I will, just have to pace myself because one of them dies soon.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2021 9:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!