Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Carpenter died on this day in 1983

A star on Earth, a star in heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2021 11:07 AM

I was in college and was thinking about thinking coming out to a small group of friends; when Karen died, one of the girls in the group said with compassion..."her songs were so beautiful..." and then, she adds, "too bad they were so faggy."

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2021 12:43 AM

Is she a lesbian now, r1?

by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2021 12:45 AM

She would have done anything to get away from that nightmare mother.

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2021 12:49 AM

I’m going to eat a cheeseburger tonight in her memory.

One of the greatest voices ever.

by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2021 12:53 AM

I’ll never forget the day I found out Richard was moving her body out of the family mausoleum to a new and closer location. I was teaching a Spanish class in the afternoon and I had to let my students go due to how upset I was.

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote]I’ll never forget the day I found out Richard was moving her body out of the family mausoleum to a new and closer location. I was teaching a Spanish class in the afternoon and I had to let my students go due to how upset I was.

Ava Maria!

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2021 12:57 AM

And yet her sainthood seems to have stalled???

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2021 12:58 AM

Her solo album was pretty good and should have been released. Richard was afraid she'd become a huge solo success and leave the group, but that never would have happened. Why Herb Alpert refused to release it was a different story.

She was singing sexy songs as a mature woman for the first time, but Richard still wanted to do saccahrine shit (as evidenced by their following album). It's funny that his collaborator John Bettis would go on to pen hit songs in the 80's for artists like Madonna, the Pointer Sisters and Whitney Houston. The Carpenters would have been still singing virginal songs at fifty years of age.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2021 12:58 AM

Richards extreme drug use made him paranoid as hell.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2021 1:03 AM

I thought the solo album was a misfire. Richard might have been an asshole but he was basically right.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2021 1:06 AM

R2, you are WAY behind.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2021 1:08 AM

"She was singing sexy songs as a mature woman for the first time"

I don't think that was possible. Karen was not a mature woman really, she didn't have a "mature life."

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2021 1:11 AM

What became of her husband?

by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2021 1:11 AM

I had taken the day off from work to study for the GRE, which was the next day, and remember hearing the news on the radio. It was really shocking because she was so young.

by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2021 1:12 AM

I didn’t care about her then and I sure as hell don’t care about her now.

by Anonymousreply 15February 5, 2021 1:12 AM

If only I had shared my sandwich with her, we'd both be alive.

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2021 1:13 AM

That stupid joke gets repeated in every Carpenters thread on here.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2021 1:14 AM

To die at only 32 is a crime. They were the fourth biggest singles act of the seventies, behind only Elton John , the Bee Gees and Paul Mcartney/Wings.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2021 1:16 AM

R15, your post in this thread argues otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2021 1:19 AM

R13, GAY as an Easter Basket

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote] [R2], you are WAY behind.

You know he was asking about R1's friend, not Karen Carpenter, right?

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2021 1:24 AM

Mary r5, I hope your post was a joke, but if not, why on earth would you care where Karen Carpenter's body is buried?

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2021 1:34 AM

[quote]Mary [R5], I hope your post was a joke, but if not, why on earth would you care where Karen Carpenter's body is buried?

(He Longs to Be) Close to Her.

by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2021 1:38 AM

Ha, r23. But he said the body was moved to a "new and closer location," so why would that upset him?

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2021 1:45 AM

^ And just to further belabor a really stupid topic, I suppose maybe he meant closer to Richard and farther from him. Whatever the case, I think I'd fire an employee if I found out he took an afternoon off to grieve the moving of a celebrity's corpse.

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2021 1:48 AM

Sadly, her time on earth was short, but at least we can take solace in the fact that she is now in Heaven singing for the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2021 1:49 AM

Yeah, I do recall Richard moving the bones out of Downey to closer to where he lives in Agoura Hills (or somewhere in that vicinity).

by Anonymousreply 27February 5, 2021 1:51 AM

"Her solo album was pretty good and should have been released. "

It wasn't "pretty good." It was bland, like the Carpenter's music tended to be. But the songs were about (gasp!) MAKING LOVE and the idea that little Karen Carpenter should be singing about sex was unthinkable. I guess she was trying to break out of her squeaky clean image, but it didn't works. Here are the titles of some of the songs from the album Sounds like a pretty silly album to me:

Making Love In The Afternoon

Remember When Lovin' Took All Night

My Body Keeps Changing My Mind

Make Believe It's Your First Time

Guess I Just Lost My Head

by Anonymousreply 28February 5, 2021 1:54 AM

Petula Clark remembers Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 5, 2021 1:55 AM

R26, MARY!!!!

PLEASE be 95 years old, or a woman.

by Anonymousreply 30February 5, 2021 1:56 AM

I think he's just a Sweet Jesus in Heaven troll, r30. Somebody always pops into death threads to make a comment like that.

by Anonymousreply 31February 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Being a musician is dangerous, with the cause of death quite often being self-inflicted.

by Anonymousreply 32February 5, 2021 2:20 AM

My understanding is Downey became to much of a ghetto and the gang warfare scared Richard from visiting so he moved them all. Wished he would have left the mother there to rot, but he was such a mamma’s boy.

by Anonymousreply 33February 5, 2021 2:27 AM

An amazing artist. Great songs to sing a long to.

by Anonymousreply 34February 5, 2021 2:29 AM

It's odd that for someone so associated with ballads, two of her three number 1 songs were not.

by Anonymousreply 35February 5, 2021 3:36 AM

I don’t know a lot about her, thank you for creating this thread.

by Anonymousreply 36February 5, 2021 12:55 PM

I remember my last words to her, "You're a nice kid but you could afford to lose a few."

by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2021 2:21 PM

The voice of an angel. The Carpenters should be inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. They're one of the all time greats!

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2021 3:00 PM

If Karen Carpenter were still alive she would be 71 this March 2. Left us way too soon. What might have been.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2021 3:05 PM

Doesn't look like the dating pool for Karen at the time could have helped her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2021 3:23 PM

She WAS looking a bit porky.

by Anonymousreply 41February 5, 2021 3:37 PM

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news on the radio: in the dorm room of my first bf freshman year in college. I was so sad. I always loved her contralto voice and her melancholy music.

by Anonymousreply 42February 5, 2021 3:48 PM

"The Carpenters should be inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."

Wny is that? They were as UNRock and Roll as it gets. If there ever is a MOR Hall of Fame they should definitely be inducted in that one.

by Anonymousreply 43February 5, 2021 6:04 PM

...and Christopher Plummer was 53.

by Anonymousreply 44February 5, 2021 6:06 PM

R43 Don't be so picky - you know what I mean. The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame means EVERYONE in music, not just pure rock. And yes, The Carpenters certainly qualify!

by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2021 9:05 PM

[R37], the most tasteless, cruel post. Perfect for DL, and has me giggling. THIS is why I keep coming back to this heap of trash!

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2021 11:37 PM

A true talent... wonderful voice.

by Anonymousreply 47February 5, 2021 11:58 PM

I love her solo album. Her voice is more sublime than usual on it. There is also a bootleg of about ten more songs that weren't used on the solo album. All just as good as the released songs. I think had she lived her career would have been similar to Linda Ronstadt's in the 80's and 90's. For instance, doing some acting, exploring different musical styles, etc. A great loss.

by Anonymousreply 48February 6, 2021 12:10 AM

Karen Carpenter never got the respect she deserved in her lifetime. She was an immensely talented vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 49February 6, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]Wny is that? They were as UNRock and Roll as it gets. If there ever is a MOR Hall of Fame they should definitely be inducted in that one.

Yeah, not a drop of rock and roll. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 6, 2021 12:26 AM

Honey, if you think that's rock and roll you need to get out more.

I love the Carpenters but I can acknowledge they are not rock and roll, and enjoy them for the music they played.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2021 1:14 AM

Good

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2021 1:25 AM

I'm sorry...going to buck the trend here. i know Karen Carpenter gets a lot of love here and elsewhere but i thought her voice was very flat and mundane. She was singing songs about making love when i'll bet she never did that more than once or twice. I'll agree she is a very tragic character and apparently her mother was unbelievably emotionally abuse while thinking her brother hung the moon.

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2021 3:57 AM

^Bette, we got your digs a the Grammys when she was alive and your supposedly apology. Go pick up trash in the park.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Still don't care. Still hate that saccharine voice and the shitty songs. Still don't understand why this is in anyone's Google Calendar repeat notification list.

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2021 5:34 AM

I was surprised she was offered rock with you before Michael Jackson was. I read after she turned it down she sat in on some of the off the wall recording sessions and commented that she couldn’t do anything close to what mj did with the song.

A big point of contention with Karen and Richard was Richard starting to date and eventually marry their first cousin. Karen was horrified when she found out but Richard didn’t think it was an issue as the cousin was adopted at birth and there was no genetic connection.

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2021 5:55 AM

Someone I know descried listening to the Carpenters as a contemplation of suicide in a warm bath.

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2021 6:04 AM

There was always something "off" about Richard.

by Anonymousreply 58February 6, 2021 6:05 AM

“Their music makes me want to vomit” said a teenager when asked how the feel about the Carpenters music.

Karen’s response, How sweet, me too!!!

by Anonymousreply 59February 6, 2021 6:09 AM

I could give the mom a few pointers on how to keep an ungrateful daughter in line.

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2021 6:13 AM

The day Karen died was the day the music really died.

Each year when this day rolls by, I fall into a deep depression. I can't get out of bed, I can't even listen to Karen's music because it reminds me of what we all lost. A tragedy that remains as tragic as ever.

by Anonymousreply 61February 6, 2021 6:53 AM

I’m sad we never got to see a Karen Carpenter Evita. I wish she would have recorded more songs from the show that we would have at least had that. I also would have liked to have heard her Another Suitcase in Another Hall with her melancholy voice.

by Anonymousreply 62February 6, 2021 6:59 AM

I can't see r2.

p.s. It's hard to follow when a post is removed. Would it be better to have in lined-thru so you know it was not acceptable according to the board's rules.

by Anonymousreply 63February 6, 2021 9:33 AM

I stumbled on a story that Karen's last meal was at a Bob's Big Boy and she ate a shrimp salad. I was trying to find a picture of the dish in that time period but I couldn't. And eventually, that Bob's became a Carrows. Accounts state that she ate a taco(s) after that. Sometimes I get caught up in such trivia.

by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2021 9:48 AM

Karen was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a weak heart, which is easy to find in Downey, California. At a time when gay men were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles, and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2021 9:48 AM

R2 is still there, r63. Maybe it’s a poster you blocked.

by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2021 10:00 AM

Karen Carpenter died for our sins.

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2021 10:06 AM

I have to hope posters such as r61 are just bored and looking for attention and people to “Mary!” them.

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2021 10:13 AM

She was hideous looking most of the time. Shit for hair.

by Anonymousreply 69February 6, 2021 5:03 PM

Your hair is going to look like shit when you're starving yourself. it probably fell out by the handful.

i imagine heroin users loved hearing her dulcet vocals while they went into their nods.

by Anonymousreply 70February 6, 2021 5:49 PM

I remember in1982-1983 cheeseburgers were the closet thing to heaven I could eat. I should know I am Karen's Spouse the one she never met one reason she never happily married married to the wrong one and the same reason no children along with it. She never had me d.o.b. 5/16/50 two months after Karen's, in 1960 my father refused to move to Conn. to work there. Latter a few years after the company he refused to work for in Conn. moved to Downy California the space race.(just trying to deliver my father there) I took up drums in 1958. as far as lesbianism goes absolutely not she was straight as an arrow but never met me her counter part even my living of life ended in 1983 also nothing for me to do in life. Al sad failed love songs B.J. Thomas(I so lonely I could cry) love has passed me so many times) and ventures (I say goodbye to love) From what I watched on video of her she would be the only woman I could love and there would be no other its to bad I never lived a life but just what the people who were around me would never let me be with her God Bless your soul Karen with all my love to you.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2021 3:39 PM

Karen Carpenter was the Julie Andrews of pop music. People projected their general loathing of goody-goody culture onto her. I think Todd Haynes' "Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story" finally made it okay to stop sneering at her and start actually listening to her music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2021 3:50 PM

When she died this 'nice' girl in college said with true remorse 'it's too bad their songs were so faggy.'

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2021 3:51 PM

Her solo album would never have been a success. Richard knew it would damage the brand.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2021 3:53 PM

R16, I KNEW there was a Mama Cass joke coming... :)

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2021 4:10 PM

Petula Clark said that Karen was a bit hippy - roomy as Hannibal L would say.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2021 4:23 PM

Yesterday, Karen finally got down to her goal weight.

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2021 4:24 PM

R74: the brand had been damaged for years. Their hits had dried up.

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2021 4:27 PM

People here listen to Barbra Streisand and Liza Minnelli, but for some reason think Carpenters are below them.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2021 4:31 PM

Carpenters have a lisping male voice as part of their make up. Of course DLers would loathe them.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2021 4:42 PM

[Quote] the brand had been damaged for years. Their hits had dried up.

"Touch Me When We're Dancing" did well AFTER Karen's aborted solo album. Nothing on her album is as good as that single.

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote] The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame means EVERYONE in music, not just pure rock.

You mean, there's hope for me??

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote] People here listen to Barbra Streisand and Liza Minnelli, but for some reason think Carpenters are below them.

Which is amazing given that Karen was gifted with a more beautiful voice than either of them (although Barbra is the better interpreter).

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote]People here listen to Barbra Streisand and Liza Minnelli, but for some reason think Carpenters are below them.

I can't stand any of the three of them. I hate Carpenter's voice: maudlin funeral music picked out by a trashy...who put her in charge of the music anyway?

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Trash...? Karen was a virgin!

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2021 5:01 PM

That heartbroken voice.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2021 5:01 PM

Didn't she die in a closet?

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 5:47 PM

Karen Carpenter would have thought you all were fat pigs.

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]Didn't she die in a closet?

No, she died in THE closet.

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote]Karen Carpenter would have thought you all were fat pigs.

In fairness, she would be mostly right.

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2021 7:17 PM

Autopsy report has Agnes finding Karen in the kitchen, not an upstairs bedroom closet.

[quote]The decedent's mother entered the kitchen at approximately 0850 Hrs 2-4-83 and found the decedent unresponsive on the floor. Paramedics were summoned responded and initiated CPR while transporting the decedent to the hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2021 10:03 PM

Findadeath's entry for Karen. Some good photos and info.

I think Richard molested her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2021 10:55 PM

R91: how weird, it’s always reported she was found in her bedroom, on the floor of the walk in closet. Interesting to hear it was the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2021 12:44 AM

Richard didn’t molest my daughter. He’s gay as a goose!

by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2021 12:30 PM

The Carpenters don't belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but Jay-Z does? Right, right.

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2021 12:40 PM

Hip Hop is the new Rock n Roll

by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2021 12:43 PM

She died as a result of our fat-shaming society ….she tried to appease them by starving herself and died as a result.

what a waste of talent……….

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2021 1:36 PM

[quote]Autopsy report has Agnes finding Karen in the kitchen, not an upstairs bedroom closet.

Surely, the last place anyone would look for Karen was the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]She died as a result of our fat-shaming society ….she tried to appease them by starving herself and died as a result.

Oh, honey. There are millions of fatties in America. Karen died from mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 99June 25, 2021 2:56 PM

Worth 100 posts. Karen's voice was so amazing.

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2021 1:40 AM

I got her number from an aunt who worked at A&M Records, and I used to call and say, “We have a person to person call, for… [italic]Fatty McFatpants!”[/italic]

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 101August 10, 2021 1:54 AM

You killed her R101

by Anonymousreply 102August 10, 2021 1:57 AM

It's disappointing Roman Polanski's sex tape of Karen Carpenter and Sharon Tate never leaked.

by Anonymousreply 103August 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Karen and ON-J bumped pussys.

by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2021 11:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!