Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, Inside Serena Williams’s 14,500 sf waterfront home, with interiors by V Starr Designs.

Featured in the March edition of Architectural Digest.

There’s a video linked at the bottom of the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 6, 2021 2:06 AM

Classy!

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2021 3:00 PM

I like the outside. The blue on the appliances makes the kitchen look vulgar.

And the rest of the house looks like storage space for expensive novelties bought on impulse.

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2021 3:01 PM

It's pretty tacky, bland and devoid of any personality or taste for all that money.

I like this bedroom though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2021 3:08 PM

I like it a lot. The only negative for me is Florida

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2021 3:11 PM

I don't care for....

...The triangular seating area in the kitchen. It's small and weird.

...The dining table. Probably $10K for $100 worth of wood.

...The pool. Unless there's another one, the one Serena is standing at is way too small.

...The standing tub within the shower zone whose base is flush with the floor. Two dislikes.

...Flora as wall art.

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2021 3:14 PM

It feels like each room was kind of designed separately. Some elements I find quite cold and others seem far more designed to live in. You can tell though that she designed it and loves it and at the end of the day it is a home to live in - so if it is what she wants, then great.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2021 3:20 PM

Bland and ugly for so much money. But that's just a matter of taste.

Also, one giveaway of too much money and being clueless…or tasteless...the infinity edge pool that doesn’t drop off (visually) into infinity. Like off the edge of a property with open space beyond. Ridiculous to have an infinity edge in the “middle” of a pool. Why bother, other than to be able to say you have one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2021 3:31 PM

Plenty of space to store her roids!

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2021 3:42 PM

I like the building. The interior décor is an abomination. It's not a home. It's a building with stuff (mostly ugly and uncomfortable looking) placed all through it.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2021 3:49 PM

Bless her heart. Even in a sequin dress that probably cost more than my whole wardrobe,she looks like a man .

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2021 3:52 PM

boring.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2021 3:55 PM

The house reminds me of a provincial art museum, all plate glass, white walls, and bare neutral space. If only the art in it were museum-quality instead of awful!

Still, it's more tasteful than I'd expect from someone with her dress sense.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2021 3:55 PM

I feel attacked by the dining room light fixtures.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2021 3:55 PM

R9 A pro designer working quickly on a boutique hotel using the same "stuff" as 20 other recent commercial projects. Doesn't look like people live there.

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2021 3:58 PM

I hate all the “art” but I do love the idea of a bookcase opening into a secret room.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2021 4:05 PM

she sold it already. she's moving the CA

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2021 4:14 PM

I love it as a fancy friend's house to visit. Not my style but I appreciate the design and look. Nice job to Serena and her husband.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2021 4:15 PM

The interiors look like an art project for high school. The house is rather elegant.

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Shes not passionate about winning another slam so it won't be happening and seems she's possibly accepted that.

Tokyo (if it happens) will be Serena's swan song

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2021 4:31 PM

Absolutely not. And the back yard view (if you want to call it that) is underwhelming, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2021 6:30 PM

Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2021 6:31 PM

I don't understand this exterior wall that would block out light to at least 3 sets of windows.

Except for swimming pools, hot tubs, and fish ponds, not a fan of decorative bodies of water.

The decor is frau-ish, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 4, 2021 6:41 PM

Honestly, I like a lot of it, but not all of it.

The art gallery-esque white and squareness work - when she offsets with wood, patterns, and color, which she does in some rooms, but not enough in others. Like that flora/fauna art piece works really good against the white wall.

The kitchen is pretty unbusy and actually looks like you could just have people hang around while food is made. I'd repeat that midnight blue/gold over the one counter on the cabinets over by fridge.

The shower/tub area is simple and lovely

Outdoor areas are fine, if bland.

Dining room, karaoke room, guest room - all very nice if spectacular.

I don't LOVE it, but don't have huge problems with it.

by Anonymousreply 23February 4, 2021 6:43 PM

I meant "if not spectacular."

by Anonymousreply 24February 4, 2021 6:50 PM

I love that bath/shower space. Most of it does feel like a gallery. The barrage of fixtures over the dining table is alarming.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2021 7:11 PM

I am over open layouts and huge cavernous bathrooms. The blue bedroom and the dining room are decorated nicely but that Lucite baby grand piano is South Florida trash.

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2021 7:34 PM

I wanted to see the daughter's room with the slide! Don't tease by just describing it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2021 7:34 PM

It has a "secret Karaoke room." Such class!

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2021 7:38 PM

Yeah, I hate these wide-open bathrooms. I want my bathroom to be more private. I would use the extra space from these stupid, huge bathtub areas for a walk-in closet or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 29February 4, 2021 7:46 PM

Lol u all really wanna hate it. Lots of reaching. “I hate how large the bathroom is - not classy” lol.

by Anonymousreply 30February 4, 2021 7:51 PM

Ok a karaoke room- a secret karaoke room- may not be classy, but it does sound like fun!

by Anonymousreply 31February 4, 2021 8:02 PM

It's not my tastes, but it is nice for what it is. I am sure it was staged a bit for this shoot.

by Anonymousreply 32February 4, 2021 8:06 PM

Those plastic plants are sublime.

by Anonymousreply 33February 4, 2021 8:13 PM

White box in the swamps. Zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 34February 4, 2021 8:21 PM

I love it! It's Miami for Christ's sake. And it's young. Very Instagrammable.

by Anonymousreply 35February 4, 2021 8:31 PM

I can’t stop staring at her manly body. The size of her head has increased. Reminds me of Barry Bonds when his helmet became too small for his head from using too many steroids.

by Anonymousreply 36February 4, 2021 8:44 PM

V Starr Interiors? That's her sister Venus. Venus is a much better tennis player than designer and should stick to her day job.

Where is the panic room Serena hides in when drug testers come unannounced for random PED tests?

by Anonymousreply 37February 4, 2021 8:48 PM

These people are of no value to society. Yet they get all the money and applause.

by Anonymousreply 38February 4, 2021 8:53 PM

I don’t know why anyone would spend that much money to live in a red state, especially Florida.

by Anonymousreply 39February 4, 2021 8:56 PM

Whenever someone’s home appears in Architectural Digest, it means they’re going to sell it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 4, 2021 8:57 PM

How bright is the dining room when you turn on all those gaudy light fixtures?

by Anonymousreply 41February 4, 2021 9:01 PM

R38 I think that it’s self evident that Venus and Serena are of value to society. Both grand slam and Olympic medal winners and are aspirational figures in a sport where their success was unlikely, but their talent won out despite other factors. They’re great role models for young girls, particularly young black girls. It’s kinda undeniable. I understand why you want to deny that tho and it’s sad for you.

by Anonymousreply 42February 4, 2021 9:04 PM

Yet another celebrity home that looks like it belongs in an office park on Long Island or in the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 43February 4, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]I don’t know why anyone would spend that much money to live in a red state, especially Florida.

No income tax - Rich athletes have been moving to Florida for decades.

by Anonymousreply 44February 4, 2021 9:13 PM

Lots of tennis players live in Florida and California. Allows them to practise outdoors all year long.

by Anonymousreply 45February 4, 2021 9:15 PM

R42 Such great role model for young black girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 4, 2021 9:23 PM

Serena being great role model again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 4, 2021 9:24 PM

How fucking dare you, R46 / R47? She is a MOTHER!!!! She has a CHILD!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2021 9:26 PM

R42 I don’t care what color their skin is. Hitting a ball around doesn’t advance the human race.

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2021 9:27 PM

R49 being the best in the world in your sport is a very quantifiable human achievement. It’s of value to society. Winning Olympic medals ditto. You don’t have to discover penicillin to be valuable to humanity. I hope you don’t apply your own rules and regulations to yourself hah, that’d be tough to live with amirite?

Btw I was talking about them coming from a poor / low resources background but it’s prob not an accident that you immediately thought skin colour. Says all we need to know.

by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2021 9:36 PM

R46 yes a great role model for young black girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 4, 2021 9:38 PM

R15 = Anne Frank.

by Anonymousreply 52February 4, 2021 9:46 PM

cold, NOT inviting, too stark, like a mausoleum.....

no thanks and not much of a view either! looks like a mansion on the banks of the mississippi!...

by Anonymousreply 53February 4, 2021 9:51 PM

R50, sorry, but I don't think pro sports are at all valuable to society.

Particularly now, when you can't get anywhere in any sport, without taking performance-enhancing drugs.

by Anonymousreply 54February 4, 2021 10:02 PM

There is a video too that takes you through the art gallery foyer, her office, the trophy room, and her karaoke room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 4, 2021 10:04 PM

How is this a "Spanish Mediterranean-style home"? Or is that what it used to be before Serena got a hold of it? And Venus must have a discerning eye with all the bespoke pieces from fine purveyors like West Elm, Restoration Hardware (excuse me, "RH"), and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. And of course she has something by KAWS.

by Anonymousreply 56February 4, 2021 10:23 PM

I much prefer her sister Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 57February 4, 2021 10:25 PM

She even got breast implants to try and hide the fact that she is roiding out. She would be full on man without those silicone lumps.

by Anonymousreply 58February 4, 2021 10:27 PM

R58 you are being both sexist and racist - all in one sentence. Sorry, no awards for that.

by Anonymousreply 59February 4, 2021 10:33 PM

This house is a gorgeous hotel. It is an almost perfect air bnb. I would bet they bought it strictly to rent out or flip as someone mentioned before.

by Anonymousreply 60February 4, 2021 10:33 PM

are you serious? she got fake boobs? I thought her tits were always very big. but she did put on weight so I assumed her tits got fat too.

but yeah, she's doing some kind of PEDs.

and she claims she doesn't lift weights lol.

by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2021 10:34 PM

It's sunny in FL all year round...they can train everyday...lots of international tennis stars are based in FL.

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2021 10:36 PM

R54 it’s ok no need to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2021 10:44 PM

R59 how am I being racist? What does my comment have to do with her being black?? Even the comment about her implants isn’t sexist. It’s true. She is clearly using steroids and is trying to compensate by getting plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2021 10:46 PM

She looks like a man. A man with big breasts.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2021 10:50 PM

R64 I’m not who you were replying to but I think they mean that, while your comment might not contain direct racism, it contains indirect racism. Your suggestion is that she’s a cheat via the drugs comment (based on ??), your comment that she looks like a man - and the ease with which you make these declarations, and describe them in the way one would a fact rather than an opinion all fits in with a history of commentary that is white supremacist in nature.

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2021 11:05 PM

The shower is my favorite. Needs a shelf for shampoo and soap though.

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2021 11:17 PM

R66, are you aware that when 2 dope testers came to her home to test her, she hid in her safe room and called the cops on them? She was not tested that day.

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2021 11:56 PM

R68 that one incident ten years ago might hold some weight if she hadn’t passed every drug test she’s ever taken, and she’s historically been tested more often than her peers. Sorry it’s not gonna stick. You’re biased towards feeling about her a certain way about her because of certain things about her, which you’re not hiding very well.

by Anonymousreply 69February 5, 2021 12:18 AM

Rt4, Let me offer a different argument.

Athletic achievements at the highest level are of value to our entire species, to witness what we are physically capable of. Not all humans, not even many, but enough for us to admire, marvel at, attempt to emulate, and sometimes surpass.

We will always want to watch, hear, and understand the zenith of human accomplishments.

And sometimes it is just to observe, for "beauty is its own excuse for being."

by Anonymousreply 70February 5, 2021 12:37 AM

These people need to be taxed out of existence.

by Anonymousreply 71February 5, 2021 1:21 AM

Serena is married to the founder of Reddit- that would be a lot of tax. Two independently wealthy people. They are pretty much an empire.

by Anonymousreply 72February 5, 2021 1:58 AM

I don't mind it. But it's obviously been designed and decorated by people who have spent more of their lives in hotels than actual homes.

by Anonymousreply 73February 5, 2021 2:13 AM

andre agassi took drugs. they covered up for him...now serena makes them a lot of money. she gets lots of eye balls on the tv. now do you think they will cover up for her too...if they find something?!

by Anonymousreply 74February 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Yes, I know, R72, that's my point. A very tasteless and frivolous empire which does not deserve to exist.

by Anonymousreply 75February 5, 2021 2:15 AM

yes, they kept testing her when she wasn't playing...when she was pregnant with her kid and afterwards lol. of course she wasn't taking drugs then.

by Anonymousreply 76February 5, 2021 2:16 AM

Those paintbrush chairs are cool

by Anonymousreply 77February 5, 2021 2:23 AM

That solid red painting though.

by Anonymousreply 78February 5, 2021 4:22 AM

Of course Serena has been taking PEDs for ages. She is clever enough to plan it in such a way that she can pass the routine drug tests she knows about in advance, like the ones they have to take if they win a tournament. Nadal, Djoko, Fed are all very likely on PEDs too. There are no clean athletes anymore and the organizations will protect the big stars if anything came out.

They are sponsor-sanctioned cheats just like the East Germans were state-sanctioned ones. Serena looks like an MTF (with exaggerated "feminine" traits like monster breasts, kinda like Wendell Williams) beating up on women.

by Anonymousreply 79February 5, 2021 6:20 AM

The tightly-adhered-to theme seems to be “right angles”. The neon sign part is tacky, but I don’t think the rest of it is tacky at all. It is cold and joyless and uptight.

But we mustn’t dare criticize. Shhh.

by Anonymousreply 80February 5, 2021 6:35 AM

R80 the ‘tightly adhered-to-theme” (yikes that wording) in the better end of architecture is ‘right angles’. And has been for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 81February 5, 2021 5:47 PM

I wonder what Serena and Alexis Ohanian's (Mr. Reddit) combined net worth is? Talk about a $power$ couple under 40.

by Anonymousreply 82February 5, 2021 5:52 PM

If their net worth matched up with their self worth they'd still be cash poor.

by Anonymousreply 83February 6, 2021 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!