Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you still on Facebook?

Well are you? I deleted it about 4 months ago. My extended nut bag relatives and all their conspiracy bullshit. I just couldn't take it anymore. Best thing I ever did was deleted it.

FACEBOOK IS OVAH!

by Anonymousreply 128April 4, 2021 12:38 AM

Deleted it a few years ago but I have a fake account so I can still check people out.

by Anonymousreply 1January 19, 2021 9:03 PM

I deleted my profile two months ago. I never checked it.

I've talked about this with other people before, and maybe it is just me.

Our lives (in general) are boring. I do not find the post about your kids you made interesting, and I'm sure my posts about if pasta should be drained or not equally put people to sleep.

I never got the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 2January 19, 2021 9:14 PM

I am. I'm mainly there for a couple of groups I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 3January 19, 2021 9:25 PM

It’s a much better experience if you pare it down to people you really care about—not every Tom Dick and Harry from your past

by Anonymousreply 4January 19, 2021 9:26 PM

I like Facebook for memories of where we grew up and people with similar interests, not for hooking up with individuals.

by Anonymousreply 5January 19, 2021 9:34 PM

I admit to being a techie. However, I never joined Facebook because of privacy concerns. Now I pat myself on the back for this good decision.

by Anonymousreply 6January 19, 2021 9:37 PM

I am. Have to have it for my Occulus Quest to work. I post every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 7January 19, 2021 9:39 PM

I never joined FB in the first place - it just seemed weird and unnecessary. if I cared about people from my past I was in touch with them already. The way it grew into equal parts banal and evil have never made regret my intransigence as people tried to cajole me into joining those first few years.

by Anonymousreply 8January 19, 2021 9:41 PM

That dump was already over by the late 2000s!

by Anonymousreply 9January 19, 2021 9:44 PM

SHIT.

Well you can see how often I play with my Occulus. I guess I will have to create a fake profile.

Thanks R7.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2021 9:47 PM

I deleted this past summer. Couldn’t support Zuckerberg and social media anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2021 9:50 PM

I'd love to dump it, but I have to maintain an account for work. And I have a couple of friends and relatives who are terrible with every other form of communication, so if it wasn't for their FB posts and sometimes chatting on FB messenger, I could never keep in touch with them.

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2021 9:57 PM

I keep an account because I use the messenger service to communicate with some friends and family members. It's also an easy way to keep up with old coworkers. I don't have to login that much; updates are sometimes delivered as a text to my phone or as a message to my email inbox. I rarely log in at all anymore. I once plugged in my high school info, and then some of my old bullies were popping up on the screen (and in my email inbox) as friend suggestions. My heart jumped into my throat; I'm in therapy today for social anxiety because of those assholes. I had to unpopulate that info asap. Then, on the night RGB passed away, a status update from a former coworker landed in my email inbox. He said some vile things about RGB, and he used revolting language. I was a little shocked by his public display of hate because he was such a Jesus freak. I logged in immediately to unfriend him.

The best thing Facebook provides me is a group dedicated to the "Old Days" in my mom's hometown. I read the posts to my mom, and she goes down memory lane, and frequently her childhood friends are among the posters in the group. She won't get her own FB account, though.

by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2021 10:36 PM

I deleted it in protest ages ago but I still use Instagram and Whatsupp. Yes, epic fail and shameful on my part.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2021 11:06 PM

2005-2015

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2021 11:33 PM

Never was.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2021 11:39 PM

I unfriended my last 3 Trumpzi 'friends". Stay on to keep track of my sane Canadian relatives.

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2021 11:40 PM

i still use it for some groups too. i also keep in touch with a few friends that live far from me. as far as posting stuff, i never do.

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2021 11:40 PM

Hell no

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2021 11:41 PM

Yes. But I don’t post much. It’s good to get pics of my niblings.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2021 11:41 PM

I was never on it because I thought it seemed stupid a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2021 11:45 PM

I have very few relatives on Facebook and none of them are awful people. And luckily no Repug or freeper friends on it. So FB is a pleasurable diversion for me.

Basically a site where just about everybody confirms and agrees with my beliefs (I'm exaggerating a little, lol). But it's a great way to catch up with what everyone's doing and where else would I hear from friends and classmates from as long as 50 years ago? I wish more of my younger friends and students (I'm a retired teacher) had stayed on FB, though with covid isolation, many have returned.

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2021 11:53 PM

Never interested me before, doesn't interest me now.

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2021 11:58 PM

I never was and I never will.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2021 12:29 AM

I have Facebook, but I only use it to message people on my friends list. I don't use it for anything else. I only use my first and middle names (both of which are very common) and never my last name so people I went to school with and other people from my past who I have no interest in reconnecting with can't find me.

by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2021 12:35 AM

Quit Facebook so long ago I can’t remember how long ago it was. At least 10 years. I was an early bailer. I quit because I was finding I was really starting to dislike a lot of people I thought I liked. All the humble bragging and fridge magnet philosophy just got to me. Now I would quit because Zuckerberg is such a fucking creepy zealot and that company is one of the worst organizations on earth. Maybe the worst.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2021 12:43 AM

I never joined because I heard too much about what a dipshit Zuckerberg was as an undergrad.

He stole the term "Facebook," he stole the initial concept (after starting Facemash, a means of ranking female class members, initially) and he was an asocial jerk.

Why would I want to be associated with that?

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2021 5:05 PM

Facebook is causing me a lot of grief lately. I'm also sick of the advertising and the "ad stalking". Yes. I'm that person who doom scrolls through all their friends, past friends, exes, and compare my life to people with families and kids who live in big houses (I have none of those). It's becoming toxic and depressing. I want to get rid of it, but I worry that I will feel even more isolated without it? Will I miss out on events? Where will people find photos of me to use at my funeral if I die?

I deleted Instagram several years ago and haven't looked back, that was another unhealthy one for me. At least on FB I can block people.

I hate social media and mostly what it has done to me. I think I'd be so much better off, without any of it. I think it has made me feel more alone because of the ability to fake connect with ppl I never even see.

It contributed to ruining a best friendship of mine because I found his posts so obnoxious and made it clear how much we grew apart. I wasn't active enough on his page etc. according to him. F all of it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2021 5:15 PM

Nope. Facebook sucks.

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2021 5:32 PM

Hello no. I got off that shit ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2021 6:04 PM

R28 I feel you

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2021 6:19 PM

R28, that's why it leads to depression. Everyone is living their best life....or pretending to. And they want you to see it.

I think back to the 80s when I was a kid. In those days, if you were a grown-ass 30-something adult, how did you brag to people you only saw at work? I guess by buying the most expensive car and clothes.

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2021 6:22 PM

I'm although I rarely post. I'm an expatriate, so it's my tool to keep in touch with friends and family. I enjoy reading their news and seeing their photos. If a contact's posts irritate me for a reason or another, I simply unfollow. If I meet an interesting person for a first time, I usually go to his page to know more about him. I laso folow my favorit writers and influencers.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2021 6:41 PM

I am still on but I only spent a few minutes a day on it, if that. I don't usually unfriend people but I have hidden several so I never see their posts. If I even get a suspicion they're right wingers I hide them right away. I don't want to get aggravated. I do like a lot of the groups I am in, especially ones where people discuss memories of the old days in my town or in our county, along with the local restaurant discussion group.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2021 6:50 PM

R28 I was like you but when I decided to quit I felt liberated!

Recently went back on because a relative died and I wanted to be part of the online gathering- which was touching. But I was repulsed by all the trapped in time people still humming their same old tune (dumb memes, etc).

Couldn’t get back out fast enough!

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2021 8:30 PM

I signed up for it during my last year in college (2005), and I found it useful then and when I started graduate school later that year. After that, I used it less and less and finally deleted it in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2021 8:48 PM

I am still on it solely to NOT follow my Trumper sister in law. I love telling family members when they say did you see what Sarah posted, sorry no, that I don’t follow her. It emphasizes how much I dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2021 9:26 PM

The majority of you are lying, you go to FB the first thing in the morning and keep checking it all day, just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2021 10:30 PM

If Armie Hammer is going to jail, then everybody else involved in [italic]The Social Network[/italic] should go to jail, too.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 10:36 PM

I quit it about six months ago, when it became known that Zuckerberg was ignoring his own rules regarding political advertising, but only for Trumpist candidates.

I haven't missed it for a single moment.

Oh, and I quit Instagram too, cunts.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 11:00 PM

To its credit, several lost friends have found me through Facebook and we have renewed nice relationships. And it's an easy way to swap a few messages once or twice a year a few of my relatives - easier than playing phone tag to say hello.

Otherwise it's useful for as a news feed of organizations and events I follow. That was what made me break down rather late in its popularity and join. I always keep.mymprofile short of personal details and at most posted a few things a year, now none.

I like instagram as a way of following businesses, organizations, events, artists, art fairs, travel, and subjects that are of interest. In that way it's replaced Facebook to a significant degree. I don't care about celebrities, or reading Heather Cox Richardson's explanations of what I already understand, or following friends and relatives who overpost pointless daily observations.

Both FB and IG are more newsfeeds for my purposes. If more organizations had a presence on IG I would happily drop FB altogether; it always seemed dumbed down and geared to interests and ways of viewing things that had no real appeal. Now it's increasingly dinosaur land.

IG is much more what you make of it and suits me well. FB should have been what you wanted to make of it but Zuckerberg had other ideas, thought he knew that everything what his version of the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 11:02 PM

For those still on it, there's a browser plugin called Facebook Purity which gives you a lot more control over it than Suckerberg gives you. It was the only way I could still deal with being on FB but I finally deleted it two years ago. Still have IG but most of what I follow are photography and hobby accounts.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 11:20 PM

I have it but don’t post to it. I’ve deleted from my phones so I’m not playing with it when bored. I’ll check it a bit when I’m on my desktop but I’m usually doing other things then. I don’t miss posting, but it helpful to keep up with people. I’ve already hid anyone who posts too much politics on the extremes.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 11:26 PM

I'm out. There was something intrusive about it, something annoying I couldn't quite put my finger on. Also gets to be an echo chamber for your own political beliefs, which, strangely, is not comforting. Facebook is just a thing I do not need.

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2021 11:30 PM

No. Never was. Had a fake account for checking up on people - family, ex-friends, etc but everybody stopped post to their public FB years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 11:37 PM

Both FB and IG are more newsfeeds for my purposes.

And all the deplorables and Russians who stoke the fire of misinformation. Do you even get the damage they do?

by Anonymousreply 46January 20, 2021 11:43 PM

Never have been, never will be.

by Anonymousreply 47January 20, 2021 11:47 PM

Detached slowly. Joined in its first years, was active in college. Active enough in early decade, fine. But late decade its lost its charms. It DOES still have me check daily, but 'only' daily, in terms of the website. I DO use Messenger a LOT and that's the thing I'll be missing. I'm starting to build up a contact list for when I leave, and I'm trying to figure out an alternative for messaging. I have Instagram but I don't love it and I don't love how some people love it. I'll be happy to be gone from it and I intend on it very soon.

I'm not anti-social media outright, but this iteration of it is inadequate for the world today, and is too sluggish to make respectable reforms. We should have been over it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 48January 20, 2021 11:55 PM

I use it for groups and games. I love me some candy crush ! I had pared down my friends list to about 20 people ,and several of them I deleted today because of their trumpster posts. I block everyone so I rarely see posts from anyone . It was fun at first,but theres only so many corpses you can dig up from the past before it gets depressing.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2021 12:47 AM

[quote]I'm not anti-social media outright, but this iteration of it is inadequate for the world today,

I'd be interested to hear your reasons. I kind of agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2021 12:56 AM

nope

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2021 1:02 AM

I deleted my Facebook account back in 2018, just found it boring after a while.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2021 1:13 AM

Slutty Twitter is where it's at. Soooo many guys with low self-esteem getting naked and getting fucked, all trying to promote their OnlyFans. Especially during quarantine, errybody posting hole and pole on the regular. It's like the Gold Rush for sluts.

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2021 1:34 AM

I haven't posted anything or updated my profile in years, but I still use FB and IG for stalking purposes. It's getting frustrating now thought with more and more people setting their accounts to 'private' or hiding their friends lists.

Tbh, even with all the privacy concerns and it seeming rather outdated now, I prefer Facebook to instagram. IG is all about the perfect facade, and most people who are really active on it post boring, uninspired, repetitive content - mirror selfie, beautiful sunset, me at the beach, my hot boyfriend, my cute dog, rinse, repeat. And the comments are so vomit-inducingly kiss-ass and sycophantic! Facebook on the other hand is a place to share thoughts, engage in discussions, and network in a way that CAN actually be meaningful. And the way people present themselves seems a *little* less filtered and polished to me than on IG.

I do see the problems with social media in general and FB in particular, but I just enjoy stalking far too much to quit. Sorry. I miss those good old days when almost everyone in my age range (I'm a millenial) was on facebook under their real name.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2021 1:38 AM

I was on Facebook for about one day, that was enough for me, I deleted, which wasn't easy then, don't know about now and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2021 1:42 AM

Haven’t posted in years. I will occasionally log on about twice a year. I don’t care for FB letting all of my FB friends know what I follow, what I’ve liked, and what I’ve commented on.

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2021 2:49 AM

I use it since I have moved around the country a bit and have friends and family all over. My favorite boss just blocked me, he became a right wing nutcase and didn't like it when I challenged his beliefs. I have mostly lefty friends and family and tune out people who post annoying things too often.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2021 3:58 AM

I go on just to check my groups. I’m on some fun ones— for parrots, mushroom hunting, cribbage boards, antiques, specific music. There’s nowhere else that I know of to exchange information and just talk about your weird hobbies. The general narcism is awful at times, though. Some people will use a big group as a captive audience for their personal problems , which I really hate. I don’t need to hear about your grieving process in a amateur mycology board.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2021 5:26 AM

Does the Pope shit in the woods, OP?

by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2021 5:30 AM

Never understood the point of Facebook so never signed up.

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2021 5:35 AM

Yep, keep messenger on the phone though. After Z met T and my deplorable relatives...ugh. I could not take it any more.

I do have a bunch of photos I need to save that I uploaded though.

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2021 5:44 AM

It's an easy way to keep in touch with people, especially those from different parts of your life. I don't even bother with deplorable relations.

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2021 5:57 AM

I've kept my Facebook account active for "just-in-case" reasons. One time I woke up in a hospital after being roofied, separated from all my belongings including my driver's license. The hospital let me log into Facebook to message the person who was with me the night before (long story). But I don't check my FB feed, like, ever. I recently deleted my IG because I stalk people and then get sad.

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2021 5:58 AM

For those of you who feel insecure about the "perfect" people on social media - remember that a lot of it is bullshit. People like to brag on SM and pretend their lives are wonderful but the reality is often quite different. I laugh out loud at some of my Facebook friends because I know they have a lot of personal and financial problems but you'd never know it from what they post.

by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2021 6:04 AM

I still have my fake account, which I only use to access about three or four media-related groups that, unfortunately, are still using it to post their material. I wish they'd migrate to some other platform.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2021 6:05 AM

Facebook was over the moment boomer parents got accounts

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2021 6:06 AM

Deleted years ago. Can't bring myself to delete Twitter or Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Good points both, R264.

[quote]For those of you who feel insecure about the "perfect" people on social media - remember that a lot of it is bullshit.

On Instagram I post photos of art, architecture, and cities, but that's it, R64. There's not one photo of me, no group shots of friends smiling for the camera. If it's "perfect" it's because I'm not the focus; it's not a reflection of my lifestyle. People either stumble on the account and follow or don't based on its content. It's about me only in that it reflects my interests and my perspective, but that's the extent of the personal content. The profile contains only a few words and nothing about me specifically. I follow similar accounts that focus on places or subjects of interest, and to a lesser extent some business and associations and membership groups as a newsfeed. Very occasionally I'll end up trading some messages with someone on some specific thing, but it's common interest - and often interesting. I like the anonymity of it, not caring about numbers of followers or pretending to "build my brand" or influence anybody in the least -- all faults that can be found on IG without much effort but can be avoided with even less.

Doing the same on Facebook, though, comes off more as bragging than sharing a hobby or interest. Because everything on FB is so "But now let's talk about me!" and "Let me tell you what I think" everything seems an exercise in jackassery, and it can make even interesting people tiresome in a hurry.

[quote] People like to brag on SM and pretend their lives are wonderful but the reality is often quite different. I laugh out loud at some of my Facebook friends because I know they have a lot of personal and financial problems but you'd never know it from what they post.

It reminds me of the old family Christmas letters with the overly upbeat slant on what seems like nothing more than pure misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2021 9:56 AM

I deactivated both Facebook and Instagram a couple of months ago and haven't missed them once. A couple of times I've bumped into people from the past in real life and while the standard response is "I'll add you on Facebook", it's no problem at all to go "old school" and just give a phone number instead.

I've been so much happier. I have now weaned myself off Twitter too, mostly going back to work has given me way too much to bother with there that getting het up about idiots saying dumb stuff online is so obviously a waste of my time.

I still have my Messenger to keep in touch with people, but I may just move completely to text messaging. I really haven't lost contact with anyone I care about by deactivating my accounts. I imagine I'll end up going the whole hog soon and delete them. The thought of going back onto them makes me feel sort of anxious and impatient, like I just don't want them anywhere near me. Well worth moving away from social media.

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2021 10:18 AM

Never was on it. Couldn't really understand the attraction.

I already find enough ways to waste time.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2021 11:14 AM

How do you create a fake account on FB and Instagram? I thought that a person had to verify their identity? I tried to set up an account for a hospitalized friend. It was like trying to break into Fort Knox. The account was canceled because I could not provide some sort of document.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2021 12:02 PM

I still use FB for some nature and science-related groups, which are educational and useful for me. The "personal" part of it I cut out 4 years ago: I changed my user name to a fake name, and have never posted any kind of personal information about myself in the profile on the page; I manually deleted every photo, every post, and every comment I had made since the account was created; I blocked every photo which identified me on the site. I still have about 100 "friends" on there, but I have "unfollowed" every one of them, so none of their posts show up on my fb page. And I use three ad-blocking programs on firefox, so NO ads show up on my fb page (nor on DL, for that matter). I also use firefox's little FB "jail" program, which blocks fb from snooping on me on other sites that I visit.

by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2021 12:18 PM

I have a fake name and have never been questioned, but I have only two friends and virtually only use it for notice for one event per year so maybe that's it.

by Anonymousreply 73January 21, 2021 4:49 PM

How are you able to set up an account on FB under a fake name?

by Anonymousreply 74February 23, 2021 10:58 AM

R74 Legacy account from years ago? Don't think you can register with a fake name now, not in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 75February 23, 2021 11:03 AM

I’m just there for the dozen or so groups I’m a part of. My elderly relatives have been going at it publicly about differing politics so I just blocked all of them. Too messy for me.

by Anonymousreply 76February 23, 2021 11:09 AM

I joined it many years back and instantly noticed that it attracted.... how shall I say it... um... the lower IQ types and that was very obvious and noticeable.

After looking around for a while I knew it wouldn't work out for me so deleted the profile and have never returned. Seems like Facebook has gotten even worse since then and it was a pretty low IQ bar.

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2021 11:15 AM

I'm on Facebook, concentrate on groups in which I have an interest .. my hometown, "Then and Now" photos of places I've lived, people I've worked with, relatives in a distant city.

by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2021 11:20 AM

Well I resisted going onto it for years even though I live on a computer, then when I finally bit the bullet and got used to it now it seems people are checking out. But now I am stuck because my older relatives spread out all over the country only use FB. It's the only way I found out my 80 year old uncle died. No one fucking calls anymore.

I have a few friends my age that just seem to post nonstop every hour of every day. like a dozen memes a day. Then my straight friends posting pick after pic of their kids with missing teeth and the fucking tooth fairy bullshit. Really I just want to reply one day, your crotch fruit are not that special. Let me know when they graduate from high school.

I cant quit the Messenger service because I can make totally free calls to friends in Europe and much better quality than Skype.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2021 11:33 AM

R74 you set it up using your real name then change it. That’s what I did years ago, I’m not sure if they allowe it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2021 11:36 AM

Yeah. I'm still on it because I watch nature online, bald eagle nests online...and there's a forum on FB which you can get updated information. Other than that, I have no use for it and rarely go on...outside of nesting season.

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2021 12:01 PM

Who the fuck is on Facebook anymore except for 6000 year old conspiracy minded Trump voting grandpas?

Facebook has been dead for years. It’s completely irrelevant. It should just be shut down.

by Anonymousreply 82February 23, 2021 12:07 PM

I have a lurker account, but have NEVER been into it. It really is a boomer preference. They love it. And yes, I am a late-boomer myself, but I have some self-respect.

I do like Instagram, which I'm aware is owned by Facebook, but at least there the focus is more visual and creative. My FB-preferring boomer friends really struggle with and resist Instagram, though.

by Anonymousreply 83February 23, 2021 12:12 PM

yes, and fully, most of my friends use it as the key means of communicating with each other, I have older aunts who ONLY communicate with me via facebook messenger.

I found a vaccination yesterday on facebook.

by Anonymousreply 84February 23, 2021 12:15 PM

I quit Facebook so long ago that I can not now remember how long ago

it was. I would estimate it at 10 years. This was done after my research

found it to be a privacy nightmare, but I had really only logged into my

account a handful of times between opening it and shutting it down.

Now, I will not even click on a link to Facebook, and that goes for some

other sites as well, like Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, etc, etc, etc.

by Anonymousreply 85February 23, 2021 12:17 PM

I haven’t used it for years. I haven’t deleted it as I’ve lived in the UK for over ten years but I’m from NZ and would have no way of contacting quite a few people from home without it. I just can’t make myself delete it but I refuse to feed it.

by Anonymousreply 86February 23, 2021 12:20 PM

I have never been on Facebook, and I do not plan to be.

by Anonymousreply 87February 23, 2021 12:26 PM

Deleted my account January 1. Glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 88February 23, 2021 12:29 PM

My aunt’s account gets hacked on Facebook on a regular basis. I’m thinking about deleting my account. But how else can one stay in contact with family and friends spread out all over the globe?

by Anonymousreply 89February 23, 2021 12:34 PM

I am still on it but rarely post , but I do like some of the groups on there which provide decent information, especially ones for my town and for the school district.

by Anonymousreply 90February 23, 2021 12:50 PM

I deleted mine years ago but created a new one last summer so I could keep up with the local health department news. Was glad to have it last week when an old friend died of COVID and her family was only on FB, I wouldn't have been able to send them a message or find out what happened otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 91February 23, 2021 1:08 PM

Facebook is for your mom and your aunts to post funny cat memes.

by Anonymousreply 92February 25, 2021 1:42 AM

I use it for logins.

by Anonymousreply 93February 25, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote] i still use it for some groups too.

How do groups work? Are they just like message boards? But I wouldn’t want my posts to have my full name and picture on message boards. I remember Facebook was really pushing Groups, even having Chris Rock in their Super Bowl commercial.

by Anonymousreply 94February 25, 2021 2:42 AM

God no, deleted mine several years ago. It's irrelevant these days...

by Anonymousreply 95February 25, 2021 2:48 AM

I did it for a couple months a few years back (I moved cross country and thought it would be easier to do Facebook than contact individuals one-by-one). Honestly, the stuff I saw just depressed me. Everyone acted like their own celebrity and would lose their minds if I didn’t like something or tag a post. I dropped it and was honestly relieved when it was gone. Only social media I have is LinkedIn (what’s someone gonna do- complain that I haven’t updated my resume), but even that’s turning Facebooky

by Anonymousreply 96February 25, 2021 2:55 AM

Linkedin is hilarious. I have never seen more purveyors of fiction on one website. People I know or have known/worked with personally have resumes that have made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 97February 25, 2021 3:20 AM

[quote]How are you able to set up an account on FB under a fake name?

It's complicated. You need a fake phone number to verify, fake email, and fake IP. Although I think they can now tell if you are using a VPN and wont let you sign up without a ton of personal info. And dont forget a fake self that cant be reverse image searched. Or a pic of your cat. Can always tell who the Repugs are, always a pic of a baby, a pet or usually a sports team or the American Flag. Not a single selfie on their entire wall.

by Anonymousreply 98February 25, 2021 3:22 AM

[quote]Linkedin is hilarious

I am glad you said that. I never put my resume up there, but they make you feel if you are not on Linkedin you don't exist. Apparently it's the number one place recruiters and HR people go. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 99February 25, 2021 3:23 AM

You old bitches are outliers. Stats show FB is still on the upswing and the largest age group is NOT Boomer parents, it's 25-34 year range. America is only second to India in terms of users.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 25, 2021 3:36 AM

r100 those users are certainly not whites in that age range.

by Anonymousreply 101February 25, 2021 3:52 AM

It is laughable how many of you now think you are all that, too good to have a Facebook account, it is beneath you. What a joke!

by Anonymousreply 102February 25, 2021 3:55 AM

r102 it's the way things are trending. People are not on Facebook anymore. It is what it is.

God, some of you are so out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 103February 25, 2021 4:04 AM

Yes they are R103, see R100 for stats and get back to us with an apology.

by Anonymousreply 104February 25, 2021 4:08 AM

r104 not among certain demographics it's not. God, you are so out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 105February 25, 2021 4:25 AM

I don't know anyone except Boomers who are still Facebook regulars. Most other people moved on some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 106February 25, 2021 4:28 AM

Translation:

God, you are so out of touch = I can't read simple stats

And I will just keep saying you are out of touch because facts conflict with my reality.

by Anonymousreply 107February 25, 2021 4:32 AM

r107 those stats may not be accurate. I can't say they are from most real world sources. We know you like to think you're on top of things so just keep believing it.

by Anonymousreply 108February 25, 2021 4:35 AM

The latest friend I had that proclaimed Facebook was over and he was going to be deleting most of his contacts and social media is bullshit, in the same breath said he's become quite populate on Instagram.

Facebook is crap, social media is for attention whores. Im' a star, check me out on Instagram!

by Anonymousreply 109February 25, 2021 4:36 AM

Facebook is hemorrhaging users. It's been on the way out for several years. Zuckerberg helped get Dump elected. For that, he deserves to lose everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 25, 2021 4:37 AM

Yes, most younger people have migrated to Insta.

by Anonymousreply 111February 25, 2021 4:37 AM

I only use it to present hole to my abuela.

by Anonymousreply 112February 25, 2021 4:37 AM

[quote]those stats may not be accurate. I can't say they are from most real world sources.

Right, and since you don't have any of your own shut the fuck Mr. Know it All, you are just purely talking out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 113February 25, 2021 4:38 AM

[quote]I’m thinking about deleting my account. But how else can one stay in contact with family and friends spread out all over the globe

Zoom, old fashioned email, WhatsApp...

by Anonymousreply 114February 25, 2021 4:39 AM

[quote]Yes, most younger people have migrated to Insta.

My fired is not young, he's almost 60.

IG is just another form of social media. People like my friend dont get how ironic it is to proclaim they are above all the shallowness and then just do the same thing on a different platform.

by Anonymousreply 115February 25, 2021 4:42 AM

Facebook owns Insta. so they have all your private info and details to sell either way

by Anonymousreply 116February 25, 2021 4:43 AM

I closed my account today after not having been on it for a few months. All people do is post boring shit.

by Anonymousreply 117February 25, 2021 4:45 AM

r113 see r110. God, you're touchy.

by Anonymousreply 118February 25, 2021 4:48 AM

I have to be since they ended Yahoogroups.

by Anonymousreply 119February 25, 2021 4:50 AM

That article is from 2020 R118. The stats from R100 are 2021. God you are stubborn and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 120February 25, 2021 4:51 AM

Facebook is shitty, invasive and evil. That's agreed.

But what's hilarious are the rubes here who brag that they quit, never knowing how to use its basic functions: blocking haters and idiots, not friending anonymous people, not making every post public to the world. Don't like your Aunt Bessie's tirades? Unfriend and block her. Don't like an ad? Hide it, block it.

Fortunately, such naiveté has resulted in many dumbass Capitol MAGAt terrorists being arrested.

by Anonymousreply 121February 25, 2021 5:16 AM

Don't like ads is my favorite feature. That and unfallow without unfriending.

by Anonymousreply 122February 25, 2021 5:19 AM

January 2021 are the stats r120. But keep moving the goalpost.

Meanwhile, in the real world, more and more people are shutting it off.

by Anonymousreply 123February 25, 2021 5:20 AM

r121 the constant haranguing by people because you don't respond or like them immediately got a lot of people to turn off Facebook. It's high school all over again. Lots of people are sick of it. My teenage nieces and nephews refuse to be on it. It's not "cool" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 124February 25, 2021 5:21 AM

It's the only way my older relatives want to communicate so I stay. No one needs 5,000 friends. Keep it under 100 of actual people you know and you will have minimal problems.

by Anonymousreply 125February 25, 2021 5:39 AM

No, I deleted mine 6 months ago. I never used it anyway, because I didn't like the idea of people knowing what I do in my private time. I got messages from people I hardly knew who wanted to be my friend. Creepy, I also never liked Zuckerberg who TOTALLY creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 126February 25, 2021 5:41 AM

If Facebook hadn't taken off, I think Zuckerberg would have been a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 127February 25, 2021 5:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 4, 2021 12:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!