Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is money good for now?

Besides paying your bills?

You can't travel anywhere.

Buying new clothes is pointless, because you can't go to restaurants, movies, or nightclubs.

You can't eat out any more.

You can't go to sporting events.

You can't travel.

So what good is money, except for buying a house to barricade yourself in, or to buy a car to get you to work and back?

Money has become pretty useless.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2021 1:12 AM

It's good for saving so you'll have more money later when you'll need it again. Also, save for your old age and buy long term care insurance.

Life actually goes on after a moment has passed.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote] It's good for saving so you'll have more money later when you'll need it again. Also, save for your old age and buy long term care insurance.

Wow.

That is probably one of the most depressing things I've ever read here.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2021 4:53 AM

R2, wait til you grow old, if you're lucky. It's not depressing unless you haven't planned for it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2021 4:55 AM

"So what good is money, except for buying a house to barricade yourself in, or to buy a car to get you to work and back?" You just answered your own question. Plus those two are most expensive things in most people's lives. And you are talking about this like it's going to last forever.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2021 4:57 AM

You poor thing, do find a hobby!

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2021 5:00 AM

There's such a thing as "charity". You might want to help out starving children in Africa - or St Jude Children's Cancer center - or the RSPCA (animal welfare group) or Greenpeace (environment) or the DNC or hell, maybe you can think of other examples?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2021 5:06 AM

I think I'll donate my money to all the people who can't afford Datalounge memberships, so that I won't have to be BORED TO DEATH by the likes of R6.

Omg, please kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2021 5:55 AM

Oh honey OP, fuck off. This will be over by Autumn. Thank your lucky stars you have enough money to be so cynical and insensitive. This pandemic has ruined a lot of people. And children are hungry, even in rich countries. Around the world, it's turning into a disaster precisely because of MONEY. Fuck you, dumb cunt. You're not even funny.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2021 11:36 AM

The sad sack all-is-lost trolls have been on a rampage. Who knew they were paying members?

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2021 11:38 AM

OP, have you heard of things called "books" and "food"?

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2021 11:40 AM

Why don't you pay off my student loans with it, OP? Sounds like you have extra...

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote] This will be over by Autumn

That's what they said last year.

To quote Chris Hargensen from the movie Carrie, "This isn't over. Not by a long shot!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2021 11:49 AM

OP- We know what you mean. Life is dull and scary right now and spending money is fun. You meant well but you lost it between Pay your bills and useless. It's good to think about money and what's important to you. Unfortunately, your list exposed your immaturity and self-centeredness.

R1-ALthouh scolding (scalding?) is correct. Many people will never have to worry about money, maybe you're one of them. If so, you have an extra responsibility to try to be deeper than an ashtray. Especially these days when 25k thousand Americans are dying each week. Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2021 11:55 AM

"It's good for saving so you'll have more money later when you'll need it again. Also, save for your old age and buy long term care insurance.

R2's reply: Wow. That is probably one of the most depressing things I've ever read here.

It won't be if you listened. But you don't listen. You'll be old, broke, and depressed.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2021 12:02 PM

How about saving it for a more comfortable retirement?

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2021 10:42 PM

POOSEY.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2021 10:58 PM

R13 is right of course but I also understand the OP in a way. When you spend way too much time inside and alone and in your own head, it's very easy to become self-absorbed and lose perspective. Our minds aren't equipped to deal with such an instant loss of normalcy in such a short time and mentally a lot of people are struggling with depression and overthinking.

I am financially lucky but for days in a row sometimes it is hard to concentrate and I need to slap myself into rational thinking.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2021 11:11 PM

I have lost 1/2 my income- and it may be permanent. I decided that I want to find a side hustle on a farm or in nature. $9.00 an hour is my minimum. I am going to start seeking out farm work. And it feels good! I want to learn something REAL and NEW (to me) I need to find an extra $800.00 a month- minimum. I love being outdoors, I love animals. And I need something real in my life.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2021 11:16 PM

I just had a wonderful seafood paella delivered OP.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote] I just had a wonderful seafood paella delivered OP.

Yeah, it's just not the same unless you're eating it at a restaurant.

Quite a poor substitute, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2021 11:24 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that you can still find a good man whore online who works for money.

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2021 11:26 PM

R21 - because we don't wanna die of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2021 11:29 PM

If you aren't supporting your favorite restaurants via take-out/delivery r21, don't complain if is no longer there soon.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2021 11:39 PM

R20* I mean.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2021 11:39 PM

R18 If you love animals, you'll hate working on a farm. That's where they kill them.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2021 12:45 AM

I got a puppy, put in a new kitchen, and gave larger than average gifts to my family members for Christmas. I also helped a friend pay for medical expenses.

I donated more to all the regular non profit places I support than normal. And then there was all the election year giving.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2021 1:04 AM

Right now, best to save for later. I'm retired and planning to return to Europe for a couple of months early next year. Looks like I'll be able to upgrade my rent boys with the extra cash.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2021 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!