Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Workout for weight loss

Other than cardio (which I'm doing, high resistance routine on elliptical because gym is closed due to Covid) what type of weight resistance is best for burning fat? I'm seriously considering dropping $250 on a weighted free standing boxing bag. Or, stick to free weights?

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2021 6:22 PM

What about resistance bands? I hear they’re pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 11:12 PM

Thanks R1. Will give them a try. I have one hanging on my elliptical (like the lazy fat whore that I am), just need to research some routines.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 11:27 PM

I run instead of walk to the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 11:35 PM

Sounds like you should dust off your old Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies VHS tape.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 11:37 PM

R4, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to find a pair of Dolphin shorts to fit me!

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Cut carbs and work out less.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 11:42 PM

Eat more work out less

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 11:43 PM

80% of weight loss is based on what you eat.

20% of weight loss is due to exercise and burning calories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 11:49 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not a health and fitness professional, but I watch YouTubers who are.

As r8 pointed out, your diet is a major factor in your weight loss. Your best bet is to eat a healthy diet while tracking your calories. As for exercise, just find something you'll enjoy. Best of luck on your journey!

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 11:55 PM

I’ve read it somewhere that our body does not need carbs. Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2021 12:02 AM

If you want to use weight lifting to burn fat, you have to work every muscle group all over your body in that practice.

That, and eating less should do it. But depending how old you are, you might feel very fatigued and even depressed after working out hard. The only way to not feel so loooooow, is to eat more. Catch-22.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2021 12:02 AM

No, R10, that is not true.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2021 12:03 AM

Yes, it is true, R10. They are not an essential nutrient. Your body can make them from protein and fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2021 12:07 AM

Way more calories in a slice of chocolate cake than you lose from running a marathon.

That’s why you must eat much less or lose weight. Exercise does little to help you lose weight. It’s more about helping you maintain the weight you are

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2021 1:34 AM

Would this 80/20 logic then suggest that if you targeted all your cardio at a certain area alongside eating less then you might lose a small amount all over but a bit more in a certain targeted area that then proportionally you could be very clever about how you do it to really make an optically outward change?

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Jump rope.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2021 1:43 AM

R11 you're right, thank you. The only way to eat semi normally is to dedicate hours to work outs. I don't have that kind of time so it's best I restrict carb intake as much as possible. I can't go all the way though. I need oats in the morning or a slice of bread, something carby, daily. I was doing well before the pandemic, just finding it very difficult to get back on track.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2021 1:54 AM

Thank you, R8.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2021 1:59 AM

R3 🤣

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 1:59 AM

You're welcome OP/R18.

I know it's boring and there's no magic pill or fad diet (please don't do fad diets as they are proven over and over again to be incredibly bad for you!) but that's what will get you weight loss.

Eat good, healthy, balanced foods (as much veges as you want) and do some exercise 30 minutes a day. Walking is great. Weights are great for toning. Exercise is excellent for mental well-being, good sleep, general positivity and mood - and obviously body fitness and tone.

But if you're looking to lose weight - 80% is what you put in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2021 2:05 AM

R9 thank you 😊

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2021 2:27 AM

I'd do anything to lose weight except diet and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote] I'm seriously considering dropping $250 on a weighted free standing boxing bag.

You don't say your age, or if you did I missed it, but unless you are very young I would avoid high impact exercises, your body just won't take it and you will hurt yourself, then stop exercising and just get fatter.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2021 3:09 AM

Agree with adjusting your diet. I wouldn't get a $250 free-standing boxing bag unless I already knew how to box.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2021 5:20 PM

Carbs are fine in the morning, you pretty much burn it off the rest of the day. Eat a good protein based lunch with vegetables/salad and skip dinner. Drink lots of water. If you're feeling ravenous at night, drink some bone broth.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2021 5:33 PM

Thank you R12 & R13 I am now more confused than ever!

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2021 5:43 PM

Walk 10,000 steps a day.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2021 5:47 PM

"A good protein based lunch"

Hyphens are your friend, R25

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2021 5:48 PM

A good protein-based lunch? Why is it hyphenated?

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2021 5:51 PM

[quote] Use a hyphen to join two or more words serving as a single adjective before a noun:

[quote] a one-way street

[quote] chocolate-covered peanuts

[quote] well-known author

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2021 6:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!