Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, this Mega-Mansion can be yours for a mere $340,000,000

After more than eight years in planning and construction, the Los Angeles area’s most colossal home is finally ready for its official public debut. Famously known only as “The One,” the mini shopping mall-sized estate straddles one of the highest promontories in Bel Air, spanning about 100,000 square feet of total living space. By comparison, the White House weighs in at just under 55,000 square feet; the 115-room Hearst Castle makes do with a modest 68,500.

It’s difficult to grasp the sheer size of “The One” by just looking at the pictures or numbers, although it’s clearly massive. To appreciate the project’s full scale, go for a walk. The mansion stretches for a full quarter-mile along Stradella Road in Bel Air, looming over the street like a big white alien spacecraft. As for the property’s main driveway, set on a quiet cul-de-sac known as Airole Way, it’s long and wide enough to put most public roads to shame.

The palatially palatial extravaganza is the personal chef-d’œuvre of Nile Niami, arguably L.A.’s most famous — and famously bombastic—developer of ultra-high-end mansions, the snazzy contemporary kind seen in magazines and bought by billionaires. The San Fernando Valley native first came to prominence about a decade ago designing Hollywood Hills homes in the $20 million range; he’s since graduated to bigger and brasher projects, selling them to the likes of Diddy, Floyd Mayweather, Calvin Klein, and the Winklevoss Twins.

All of that has culminated in “The One.” Niami bought the eight-acre promontory in late 2012 for $28 million from Rita Kogan, the late video game heiress and daughter of “Space Invaders” creator Michael Kogan. He quickly razed the existing estate, a large midcentury modern mansion in woefully neglected condition, and has since spent many tens of millions more bringing his spec-house to life.

In 2015, Niami gave GQ his very first public interview about the property, revealing he planned to ask $500 million for the Paul McClean-designed compound once completed. The 52-year-old developer promised the house would have a room exclusively dedicated to tanks of live jellyfish, a room for storing fresh flowers, a perma-frozen room with an ice bar, and a room for candy. Naturally, there would also be an in-house nightclub.

Some of those expectations have been tempered. The jellyfish room proved too costly and impractical; it was ultimately scrapped. Ditto for the fresh flowers, the ice bar, and the planned catering kitchen. The nightclub and the room with candy walls remain, however, as does a 50-car garage—sans the planned car turntables—a four-lane bowling alley, and an Olympic-sized indoor swimming pool with lounge decks. There are outdoor swimming pools, too, no fewer than five of them, all infinity-edged. The mansion’s interiors, like all of Niami’s prior projects, were designed by Kathryn Rotondi of KFR Design.

In keeping with the interior revisions, the asking price has received a big haircut. Although the exact number hasn’t been officially released, and the agents involved remain cagey, rumors say the modified ask is “only” now about $340 million, a nod to budget reductions and reality. That more sober number is a boon for Niami, who has faced recent financial woes, including foreclosure proceedings on other projects, per previous reports.

Still, the rumored price tag is still double the most expensive home transaction in California history, the $165 million paid by Jeff Bezos last April for David Geffen’s 8-acre Beverly Hills estate. It’s also $100 million more than the country’s most expensive home deal of all time, the $238 million Ken Griffin paid for his New York penthouse in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 9, 2021 5:52 PM

For that, buyers will receive a glass-walled contemporary showcase with a cinema-quality home theater, a beauty salon, and an Olympic-sized indoor swimming pool with lounge decks. At 6,000 square feet, the master suite is bigger than many suburban McMansions; it includes its own private swimming pool and at least two bedroom-sized dressing rooms, both of them lavish enough to put any Rodeo Drive boutique to shame. There’s also a 50-car garage, a four-lane bowling alley, and a sky deck with a putting green.

Opinions remain divided about the architectural merits of “The One.” Some say the futuristic style will stand the test of time. Others claim it looks more like a swollen asylum or hospital—or a rigidly geometric residential white elephant, for that matter.

In 2015, Niami claimed the house was being built with a “very specific buyer in mind,” although who that buyer actually is remains unclear. Also murky is who would want to purchase a mega-conspicuous residential complex of this scale and magnitude—even at the lowered $340 million mark, it’s still far out of reach for many billionaires. Previous reports have indicated Niami plans to focus on new money tech tycoons á la Jan Koum, who sold WhatsApp to Facebook and has since spent more than $300 million on luxury California real estate, and Honey founder George Ruan, who sold out to PayPal for $4 billion and subsequently assembled an $80 million Bel Air compound. There are also the more usual suspects, too—Saudi and Emirati sheikhs, and big crazy rich money from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China. Should any of them happen to be searching for biggest and baddest compound in all of Tinseltown, well, there’s really only one.

“The One” is being co-marketed by Branden and Rayni Williams of The Beverly Hills Estates and Aaron Kirman of Compass. Vesta custom-designed the furniture of the mansion.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 11:01 PM

The buyers will either be Chinese or Saudi.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 11:03 PM

And people do not have enough money to buy healthy food or needed prescription meds. This is obscene.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 11:04 PM

It SO look like a Bond Villain's lair!

I wonder if that was intentional?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 11:04 PM

And it was finished and put on sale just in time for a horrific pandemic surge! BWAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 11:05 PM

I wish I could buy it. I’d like to turn it into a homeless shelter.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 11:10 PM

It must be like living in an airport terminal or hospital. I can’t imagine how anyone could ever think of that place as home.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 11:13 PM

Datalounge World Headquarters, here we come!

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 11:17 PM

A local religious group built an apartment building for homeless people. The residents with addiction problems wrecked the place.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 11:20 PM

Its just so last year!

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 11:20 PM

R7, people who buy places like that don't think of them as home, so much as their kingdom.

There are going to be tons of people there, employees and hangers-on and relatives and whores, and every single one of them living by the owner's whim of iron.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Who knows how many maids and gardeners you need to keep the place going.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Hideous!

And I completely agree with R3. So obscene.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 11:23 PM

It's right next to a public road. Who wants to peer over their pool and see street lights and hear cars? Anyone who buys that for more than 80 million is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 11:24 PM

What are those circular things on the terrace, in the bottom left of the picture? Tables? Infinity pools with no water in? Baptismal fonts for the owner's personal cult? Shark or piranha tanks for making an example of disappointing employees?

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 11:25 PM

Teardown!

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 11:28 PM

R15, the whole place looks like an "end of the world" bunker.

Ugly as shit.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 11:28 PM

It's not close to public transportation and not walkable to shops and grocery stores. For those reasons alone, I'm going to have to pass.

I'm not even going to ask what the public schools are like. Street parking is probably non-existent too.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 11:36 PM

He had an aquarium with jelly fishes? Ugh. There's better use for that money like helping the poor or the environment.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 11:36 PM

I'll take two!

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 11:38 PM

[quote] It's not close to public transportation and not walkable to shops and grocery stores

These are very important considerations R18, especially given your job at Wal-Mart and your dinners at KFC.

Buses are a MUST!!!

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote] I'll take two! —Bezos

HA!

And that would still only be chump change, for him.

This crappy house wouldn't even make a dent in his bank account.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 11:40 PM

No gift-wrapping room? Hard pass!

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 11:45 PM

[quote]$340 Million

if there's a revolution, you'll know why.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2021 11:47 PM

R21 - well, with the lack of street parking, public transportation does become important. Also, there doesn't look to be any convenience stores around there.

And no public parks with swing sets for the kids. I'm not even going to ask if there's a dog run nearby - I'm betting there isn't.

It doesn't mention whether it has central a/c or heating. I'm not buying window ac units for that place!

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2021 11:48 PM

The mind reels at what good taste and restraint could have accomplished there.

Isn't the superstar of the show the views? If so, why try to compete with that? Why try to upstage that with a conspicuous monstrosity?

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2021 11:49 PM

I would buy it, demolish it, and build public housing.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2021 11:51 PM

Nothing "obscene" about people spending their own money, even if spent stupidly, as long as it hurts nobody. I've stated in prior architectural threads how much I despise the goldfish bowl transparent walls style of modern California construction. Therefore spending hundreds of millions for grotesquery doesn't really attract me.

[quote] who would want to purchase a mega-conspicuous residential complex of this scale and magnitude

Add rappers or ballplayers to the list of possibles.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2021 11:52 PM

Imagine having $340,000,000 to spend on a house...

That's too much money. Anyone who has that much money to proportionally spend on a house has too much money.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] I would buy it, demolish it, and build public housing.

Except you wouldn’t get the permits required for that.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2021 11:54 PM

No other images of the house?

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2021 11:54 PM

To the buyer its not meant to be a home in which one actually lives.

First and foremost, it is a viable money-laundering vehicle. Secondly, it is a superlative property to accrue major maintenance expenses against, thereby drastically reducing taxable income.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2021 11:58 PM

What's with building the house on a dam? Does it overlook a reservoir? WTF?

It's an extremely drought-prone area, a lot of the time the owner is going to have a view of a dry lakebed, or a puddle at the bottom of a dirt basin.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote]To the buyer its not meant to be a home in which one actually lives.

Then that's even worse R32. I'm think about cake and guillotines...

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2021 12:03 AM

Coincidentally in the last couple of minutes I received a cold-call email for this property in Nashville. Ten million for 2 bd ,4374 sqft condo sounds so spartan in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2021 12:06 AM

Based on that aerial photo, the house looks like it was built on top of a dam.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] Based on that aerial photo, the house looks like it was built on top of a dam.

Good.

Can't wait until it slides into HELL during the next big earthquake.

There goes $340 million, down the drain. LITERALLY!

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]Based on that aerial photo, the house looks like it was built on top of a dam.

Why would you build a dam on the highest piece of land?

It's directly across the street from 960 Stradella Road. The address of the mega mansion is probably 944 Airole Way. What you see in OP's photo on the slope on the Stradella Road side is probably some kind of landscape fabric to keep the soil in place until shrubs are planted, not a dam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2021 12:32 AM

If you look on google street view on the Stradella Road side, there is some kind of mesh or lattice on the ground to keep the soil in place, not concrete from a dam.

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2021 12:41 AM

I wonder who the scumbag will be who buys it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2021 12:48 AM

They'll probably have to reduce the price quite a bit before it sells.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote] They'll probably have to reduce the price quite a bit before it sells.

Even if they reduced the price by 99% it STILL wouldn't be worth the money.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2021 1:06 AM

It was probably built with Mohammed bin Salman in mind. He's got flashy fairly public properties in France for which he paid $300 million. But he now has very good reason to avoid the US since he could be sued for the death of Khashoggi and Trump apparently didn't get around to pardoning him.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2021 1:11 AM

1% of $340,000,000 is $3,400,000.

I'd say that's a good starting point, but still over priced.

But $340 million?

That's just a bad joke.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2021 1:14 AM

The estate looks like Hoover Dam with windows. Hideous!

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2021 1:58 AM

I say it will sell for half price.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2021 2:03 AM

r35 I can't imagine paying $10 million to live in Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2021 2:15 AM

I can't imagine how much it costs just to air condition a huge place like that, as it bakes in the sun at the top of a hill.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2021 2:18 AM

R47 - Amen to that. That condo should go for $3-4 million. It's an insane asking price for Nashville. I think they're listing it at that price just to draw attention to the building.

There's no way comps are $2300/sq ft in Nashville. Laughable and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2021 2:21 AM

Fuck the permits. I would build the Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside Memorial Home For Single Mothers.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2021 2:31 AM

No need for that.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] Datalounge World Headquarters, here we come!

Instead of the dues for DL being $1.50 a month they would need to be $150,000 a month

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote]In 2015, Niami claimed the house was being built with a “very specific buyer in mind,” although who that buyer actually is remains unclear....Opinions remain divided about the architectural merits of “The One.” Some say the futuristic style will stand the test of time.

A house only Elon Musk could love.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2021 2:35 AM

OP's link is on Yahoo, and the comments are back on Yahoo, I am in shock, seems like a weird time in history to bring Yahoo comments back.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2021 2:39 AM

[Quote]A house only Elon Musk could love.

If they fill that moat, SOLD! It's hard to find a place with good mini-sub parking.

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2021 2:43 AM

I wouldn't want it even if I won the $750 MegaMillion Lotto tonight.

More pictures at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2021 2:46 AM

Who in the world could this possibly be marketed to? Who has both this much hideously bad taste and this much money simultaneously?

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2021 3:25 AM

If I could buy it, I would turn it into a home/birthing center for undocumented pregnant Mexican women to drop their anchor babies, just to piss everybody off.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2021 3:26 AM

But does it have an open floor plan with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances?

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]Branden and Rayni Williams

Those cokeheads are always have their hands in the pie.

[quote]Some of those expectations have been tempered. The jellyfish room proved too costly and impractical; it was ultimately scrapped. Ditto for the fresh flowers, the ice bar, and the planned catering kitchen. The nightclub and the room with candy walls remain

For $340M, it should at least have a flower room and a catering kitchen. That they thought a room with candy walls was preferable reflects the idiocy of this whole project.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]Who in the world could this possibly be marketed to? Who has both this much hideously bad taste and this much money simultaneously?

A lot of very rich people have very bad taste. Just look at the most expensive homes in London, Paris, New York, French Riviera, etc.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2021 3:35 AM

Imagine misplacing your keys in that thing

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote] Who in the world could this possibly be marketed to? Who has both this much hideously bad taste and this much money simultaneously?

It looks to me that you're buying a very ugly MALL, in the middle of a residential area.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2021 3:44 AM

[quote]Who in the world could this possibly be marketed to? Who has both this much hideously bad taste and this much money simultaneously?

There's this white elephant at 147 Boulevard Leader in Cannes going for 120 million euros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2021 3:52 AM

[quote]Who has both this much hideously bad taste and this much money simultaneously?

I'm reminded of the Dorothy Parker line -- If you want to know what God thinks of money, just take a look at the people he gave it to.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2021 4:45 AM

Exactly, R65.

And this sad excuse for a "mansion" is just.... wow.

Just imagine what good could be done with $340,000,000. OTHER than being spent on this monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2021 1:06 PM

I'm buying it and turning it into the Trump Presidential Library.

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2021 3:48 PM

Hideous monstrocity.

Here it is from Google maps. Disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2021 4:07 PM

R64 and others - I lived three summers in a "palace" just like that in the hills above Cannes. I LOVED it, questionable taste included. My abode was bigger with 3 pools, guest houses, and 40 luxury cars in an underground garage. They are all mid-easterners and a few oligarchs. Mostly arab royals. More or less the same architecture and decor to all of them.

I don't see any difference really between people who move between these palaces across the seasons nowadays and the same set in the gilded age.

Its the same obscene luxury and same disparity of wealth.

It's fun from the inside but problematic.

These people DO circulate money, but they also have too much. Both can be true.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2021 4:08 PM

^^The Cockgobbler

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2021 4:12 PM

Apparently in recent years the Villa Perrier, or Château de la Croix des Gardes, has been on the market, which is right next to the so called "Palais Vénitien" in Cannes. Now, this one is a dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2021 4:16 PM

[quote] I'm buying it and turning it into the Trump Presidential Library.—MyPillow Guy

You can call it the MAGA mansion!

by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2021 7:03 PM

[Quote]Nothing "obscene" about people spending their own money, even if spent stupidly, as long as it hurts nobody.

Anybody who has this much money has stolen it either through abusive labor practices or criminal activity. Obscene indeed.

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2021 7:35 PM

R69, may I ask what you do that you lived in a "palace" for three summers? How do you know these very rich people?

Actually the Palais Vénitien isn't that bad. It could have been much gaudier, but it's certainly going to be difficult to sell a house that big and that expensive.

A kong time ago, I heard a woman on the radio describe being interviewed for an assistant job by a very rich woman from the Middle East whose family had made tons of money from oil. I believe the rich woman lived in a very grand townhouse on one of the avenues that radiate from the Arch of Triumph in Paris. The interviewee needed to use the bathroom and she got lost on the way back because the house was so big. In the end, the interviewee turned down the job because she knew it wasn't going to be fun working for the rich lady. She was with her when she was shopping at a luxury boutique. The rich lady was incredibly obnoxious to the shop's staff and they just put up with it because she bought a lot of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 74January 17, 2021 12:59 AM

A King Kong time ago..... ?

A long time ago....

by Anonymousreply 75January 17, 2021 1:06 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 17, 2021 1:44 AM

Wow. Who knew $340 mil could buy so much ugly in one place?

by Anonymousreply 77January 17, 2021 1:47 AM

oh well. my post was redacted R74. I was a précepteur for a royal family. And they had hôtel particulier on Avenue Foch, too, of course.

by Anonymousreply 78January 17, 2021 1:48 AM

Just think about the sweeping and vacuuming.

by Anonymousreply 79January 17, 2021 1:49 AM

From street view, the L.A. neighborhood looks very nice. Nice landscaping everywhere. This house sort of seems like an alien spaceship though. It doesn't seem to have distinctive architecture. Just insane luxury.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2021 1:50 AM

A house only an army of Roombas as could love

by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote]In 2015, Niami claimed the house was being built with a “very specific buyer in mind”...

Yeah, a buyer with NO TASTE!

by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2021 2:56 AM

[quote]oh well. my post was redacted R74. I was a précepteur for a royal family. And they had hôtel particulier on Avenue Foch, too, of course.

Haha. I had to look up what a précepteur was. Okay, a private tutor. You must be very well educated. Thanks, R78. Hopefully the family treated you much better than the rich lady in my story.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2021 3:53 AM

You're not making all this up, are you R78?

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2021 4:03 AM

It's too insstitutional looking. What a waste of a great building site. I'm sure it isn't but it looks cheaply built. I'd hate to have my cash tied up in that common looking pour of cement.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2021 5:23 AM

I wonder which repulsive, despotic foreign oligarch will buy it.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2021 5:47 AM

[quote]Apparently in recent years the Villa Perrier, or Château de la Croix des Gardes, has been on the market, which is right next to the so called "Palais Vénitien" in Cannes. Now, this one is a dream.

Oh right. The Château de la Croix des Gardes, the villa in Hitchcock's movie "To Catch a Thief", is at 145 Boulevard Leader in Cannes. Stunningly beautiful view of the sea from the pool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2021 5:59 AM

I don’t get the attraction. All that money to live on the top of a hill looking at all the hills surrounding, covered with dozens of houses.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2021 6:08 AM

I wonder if it comes with apple tv?

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2021 8:24 AM

Why would anybody buy it? It’ll never increase in value.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2021 8:36 AM

It looks like an office building to me.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2021 8:52 AM

A house designed by a white leisure suit & a gold chain.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2021 9:21 AM

Thanks R56. Confirms what I though just as fuck ugly on the inside as out

R21 I suspect I would far prefer the company of someone with a job at Wal-Mart and dinners at KFC than whoever buys this monstrosity

I far prefer this below, its close by and 330 million cheaper. And far nicer. Still not perfect, but I could live with it

Even the Palais Vénitien is preferable, although it still far too big by far, at least its not completely hideous

The place R71 and R87 posted is beautiful too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2021 9:38 AM

R84 no I'm not. You do realize there are oligarchs, dictators in many countries with colossal fortunes and plenty of arab royals with same. Certain neighborhoods in certain cities are filled with this crowd.

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2021 9:44 AM

Sweet Jesus. It looks like it was set down on top of the Hoover Damn

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2021 9:48 AM

Does it come with really confusing modern art or do you have to trick it up?

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2021 9:54 AM

On the up side it should provide adequate storage and entertaining spaces for a devoted dish queen.

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2021 9:56 AM

Is it bigger than Spelling Manor?

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2021 1:58 PM

I hope the project bankrupts the dickhead (a Mr. Niami) who thought the world needed this obscene temple of vanity and self- indulgence. This is the type of imported cultural indifference that has ruined Beverly Hills and parts of New York. Only people of the Far East, Middle East and Donald Trump would think that excessive amounts of money buys taste and true quality.

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2021 2:12 PM

This side looks like a parking garage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2021 3:39 PM

Sorry for being suspicious of you, R94. As you know, there are some Dataloungers who like to make up stories and laugh when people believe them.

by Anonymousreply 101January 18, 2021 3:44 AM

Has Markle put in an offer

by Anonymousreply 102January 18, 2021 4:12 AM

I wouldn’t want to live in a house in which I could become irretrievably lost

by Anonymousreply 103January 18, 2021 4:23 AM

This mansion is a sterling example of American greed, on the part of both the buyer and the seller.

I hope the San Andreas fault swallows them all up.

by Anonymousreply 104January 18, 2021 1:49 PM

The world debut tour led by the tacky oversharing builder on this tacky stereotype of a man's channel and it's...very underwhelming. You could live in a walk-in freezer for a millionth of the cost. Give me on of Tavangarian's houses any day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 8, 2021 7:10 PM

The absurd asking price is simply for publicity. Yet, there is a depressingly large number of Asian and Arab billionaires who might be attracted to the wealth protection and tax advantages of a monstrosity like this.

by Anonymousreply 106April 8, 2021 7:23 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 8, 2021 7:25 PM

It’s really a Palace for someone with a huge retinue. Impossible to imagine a single family using so much space.

by Anonymousreply 108April 8, 2021 9:04 PM

I'm curious about this Nile Niami person. He's from L.A., born "circa" '68 to a single mother who was a special education teacher. Where did he get the money?

by Anonymousreply 109April 9, 2021 1:34 AM

Nile is always borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and lives on the razor's edge as far as his finances go. He REALLY needs to find a buyer for that house and he needs to do it within 90 days. I think he'll be lucky to get half his asking.

by Anonymousreply 110April 9, 2021 1:43 AM

What is the wall thing with what appears to be water or a river below I thought it was a flood control project. Looks industrial. Good luck finding buyer who wants an ugly wall behind the house. Or is that the front. I have a real estate background, and have never seen anything quite like this in a residential setting.

by Anonymousreply 111April 9, 2021 1:44 AM

I actually don’t see anyone liking this monstrosity. It’s plain ugly, rather than garishly ugly. He’s going to have a hard time getting rid of it. He should have just flipped the land.

by Anonymousreply 112April 9, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote] What's with building the house on a dam? Does it overlook a reservoir? WTF?

That is the reinforcement to keep it sliding off in a landslide of water or earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 113April 9, 2021 1:53 AM

It looks like it’s built on a canal.

by Anonymousreply 114April 9, 2021 2:05 AM

I guess I’m a mopey sort. How seismically engineered is this medical/dental...err, I mean home. Even a mild shaker would send all that dirt down onto Stradella and possible displacing all that water onto the folks below. Yikes!

BTW, is Niles cut? Uncut?

by Anonymousreply 115April 9, 2021 2:18 AM

I dunno. Yes it’s silly, yes it’s obscene. But in a way I am glad for outlandish, no-limit projects like this. They keep our world nice and wacky.

by Anonymousreply 116April 9, 2021 2:22 AM

I just watched the video and I am exhausted. It is gorgeous, really off the charts wonderful. But is it a residential home? I can see it being used for a corporate retreat getaway or hosting all the relatives for a big wedding under one roof rather than using a hotel. The builder seemed to have injested some nose candy to keep him revved. He is very positive, unpretentious and seems to know his stuff. Another point. What is the zoning like - if it is only residential it really limits the use. Reminds me of a fancy Getty Museum.

by Anonymousreply 117April 9, 2021 2:26 AM

I’ve worked in that part of Bel Air and it is really loud, the 405 is just west of it and you constantly hear the roar of the freeway up there. What’s point of all those pools if you can’t relax because of the noise?

by Anonymousreply 118April 9, 2021 2:34 AM

There is an indoor pool too.

by Anonymousreply 119April 9, 2021 3:19 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 120April 9, 2021 3:40 AM

I wonder what the original mid-century property that they razed looked like.

by Anonymousreply 121April 9, 2021 4:24 AM

I feel similar things could be said of the great palaces at Newport. But those houses are showcases of incredible craftsmanship and detail in a way that this place is not. Ironically, the things that at a smaller scale would make it an interesting building architecturally are precisely what make it meretricious at this scale. The point of minimalism is that it responds beautifully to immediate needs and simple choices. This is basically a cunning Mid-Century Modernist motel wrapped around a tailings pit. Without the interesting history the real thing would involve.

by Anonymousreply 122April 9, 2021 4:28 AM

It’s not mid-century modern.

by Anonymousreply 123April 9, 2021 7:57 AM

No helicopter pad?

Eat the rich.

by Anonymousreply 124April 9, 2021 8:21 AM

That’s a lot to clean 🧼 everyday, no?

by Anonymousreply 125April 9, 2021 8:40 AM

There will be a helicopter on the roof, but just for show. He couldn’t get a permit for a real pad.

by Anonymousreply 126April 9, 2021 2:53 PM

Gorgeous! Such exquisite refinement.

A shopping mall lands atop the Hoover Dam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 9, 2021 4:08 PM

Beware--candy-walled room

by Anonymousreply 128April 9, 2021 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!