Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mortgage Interest Rate Question

I'm a lifelong renter who's in the process of finally buying a house. Part of my reason for doing so is the fact friends and family have been constantly talking about how interest rates for mortgages are at a record low. I'm being offered 2.75% for a 30-year loan and I'm wondering if I should try negotiating for lower (if that's even possible). Is 2.75% decent?

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 11:03 PM

Yes, it is a good rate but you really should consult with a mortgage broker to get rates from various lending institutions. Your neighborhood bank may not be able to offer the best rate in your area. Also, check bankrate's website.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 9:12 PM

That is almost 2 points lower than my good at the time rate. I'd refinance if I were not looking to pay it off in the next year or two.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 9:18 PM

If it's a forever house, it's a 2.75% or less mortgage for as long as you own the house. Which is a very good thing, historically.

Interest rates may bounce around 3%, but it'll never be much lower: the banks have to make money.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 10:17 PM

Oh honey, I remember 18% interest rates on home mortgages. I can't imagine how anyone paid the balance down, let alone off.

2.75% is a good rate. What you're offered depends on: 1) the market; 2) your credit score; 3) the size of the loan. You might be able to lower it by a quarter point or so by shopping around, which can add up over time, so it's worth it if you plan on staying put. Remember, the average home loan is paid off (because people sell the house and move) in 7 years, so do the calculation and decide if it's worth your time and effort.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 10:40 PM

The average home loan is paid off in SEVEN years? How?

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 10:53 PM

You can only get lower with excellent credit and good debt ratio. We were turned down by a broker the seller recommended because I had bought a brand new car then I tried Rocket Mortgage and they came through with 2.6

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 10:58 PM

People sell the house and pay off the loan, R5. It's actually done by the escrow company as part of the transaction. (You then buy another house and take out another loan. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but your question seemed to need the explanation.)

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!