Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Josh Hawley is a PARIAH!

When far-right rioters breached the Capitol during the usually-mundane Electoral College certification on Wednesday, numerous lawmakers were rushed into a secure room to escape the mayhem that had seeped into its halls.

One of those lawmakers was Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, the leader of the Senate GOP challenge to President-elect Joe Biden's victory, who found himself being shunned by his colleagues during the incredibly volatile situation, according to The Wall Street Journal.

"It was extremely striking," recounted an individual to the Journal. "For most of the time, he was in a corner of the room by himself with no one talking to him or acknowledging him."

According to Republican aides, Hawley's GOP Senate allies "were furious with him."

While an array of Democratic lawmakers slammed his efforts to contest Biden's win shortly after he announced his intentions in late December, the post-riot pushback will likely threaten his effectiveness in the chamber going forward, especially with growing calls for him to resign.

Hawley, who was elected in 2018 by ousting two-term Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, had been thought of as a likely 2024 presidential contender and was the first senator to announce his objections to the 2020 presidential election results.

Many saw Hawley's move as part of a calculated strategy to endear himself to supporters of President Donald Trump, and once he signed on, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, who also has his eyes on the White House, jumped in and brought along several more senators to join in the effort.

By law, a formal objection to the Electoral College results needs at least one House member and a member of a Senate to allow for a debate and a vote on the keeping or invalidating an individual state's electoral results.

"In the secure room on Wednesday, a push soon got under way from GOP leadership to persuade the 13 Republican objectors in the Senate to drop any further objections to ratification," according to the Journal.

Cruz then convened with Hawley and several other Senate objectors to come up with a resolution, but Hawley was the only senator that proceeded. Hawley didn't push for further Senate debate, but his challenge to Pennsylvania's electoral results enabled House GOP objectors to continue debating the results well into the early hours of the morning on Thursday.

Biden's 306-232 Electoral College victory over Trump was then certified, but the blowback to Hawley continued.

Former Republican Sen. John Danforth of Missouri, one of Hawley's biggest advocates in running for the Senate, said on Thursday that he strongly regretted the decision.

"Supporting Josh and trying so hard to get him elected to the Senate was the worst mistake I ever made in my life," Danforth told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Tony Messenger. "Yesterday was the physical culmination of the long attempt (by Hawley and others) to foment a lack of public confidence in our democratic system. It is very dangerous to America to continue pushing this idea that government doesn't work and that voting was fraudulent."

On Thursday, Simon & Schuster announced that they were dropping Hawley's upcoming book, "The Tyranny of Big Tech," which was set to be released in June 2021.

Despite his increasing isolation from colleagues on both sides of the aisle, Hawley said that he would not resign.

"I will never apologize for giving voice to the millions of Missourians and Americans who have concerns about the integrity of our elections," he said in a statement. "That's my job, and I will keep doing it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 2:50 AM

Twisted - face and soul - motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 6:44 PM

He is just so very easy to despise! I laugh at his complete and total collapse!

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 6:46 PM

He’s up for re-election in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 6:48 PM

R3 He will lose.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 6:49 PM

He should be recalled in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 6:49 PM

R3, I hope he gets 14th Amendment-ed.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 6:50 PM

This board always seems to forget the 49% +- of good American citizens who voted for these asses.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 6:51 PM

The Missouri Republican establishment despises him. But I'm not sure they'll be able to get rid of him, and it's possible things will die down and they'll grow to be ok with him again.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 6:51 PM

No one seems proud of that boy.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] Josh Hawley is a PARIAH!

A pariah? Is that Latin for scumbag?

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 6:55 PM

Companies and corporations freezing their political contributions to him is what's going to kill him. That sweet, sweet money talks.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote] A pariah? Is that Latin for scumbag?

Persona-non-grata.

Outcast.

Untouchable.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 6:56 PM

Pariah, Care He?

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 6:58 PM

Nice apology from MO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 7:05 PM

Pariah-Isn't that a movie with Troy Donahue and Claudette Colbert about growing tobacco in Connecticut? Who the fuck knew they grew tobacco in Connecticut?

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 7:16 PM

No, r15, that was Shane.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 7:22 PM

r15 Connecticut-grown tobacco has been famous for decades, for the all-important wrappers of certain types of cigars.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 7:40 PM

"The Missouri Republican establishment despises him. But I'm not sure they'll be able to get rid of him, and it's possible things will die down and they'll grow to be ok with him again."

Bullshit. They got rid of another political wunderkind, Eric Greitens, and all he did was fuck around on his wife, not fomenting an insurrection like Hawley.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 7:53 PM

I would love to see Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse gutted like fish next. They're the other two candidates the GOP is pinning their hopes on as their post-Trump Next Young Great White Hopes.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote]He should be recalled in 2021.

Senators can't be recalled.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 10:16 PM

A week in politics is a long time.

I can't see him being the Republican candidate. I swear it's gonna be Ivanka or Don Jr

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 10:32 PM

Everybody hates Josh.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 10:54 PM

" Pariah", "Pariah," they call the windbag, "Pariah."

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 11:05 PM

Pariah Mary!

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2021 11:20 PM

For you R15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2021 12:07 AM

All will be forgotten when they need his vote.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2021 12:10 AM

(R18) Greitens was hot and throws a mean fuck (from what I've heard).

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2021 12:52 AM

He will never be president!

His stupid little stunt has cut off his money flow and any attempt to run for president will be met with ad blitzes of his "heil, terrorists" fist pump.

He.

Is.

OVAH!

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2021 1:25 AM

How do we know anyone was speaking to him before?

He's pretty repulsive, even for a Rethug.

by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2021 2:11 AM

Oh to be a fly on the wall in his life at the moment...

by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2021 2:27 AM

I'm busy with Mike Pence.

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2021 2:30 AM

Lol R31.

That joke honestly never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2021 3:49 AM

How delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2021 5:57 AM

He's such a douchefuck. I love OP's photo, and the live broadcast that I saw of that, of Romney in the background seemingly just glaring at him from behind his mask.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2021 6:19 AM

Pariah; now THERE’S a word you don’t get to use every day!

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2021 6:30 AM

Let's hope we have lots more opportunities to use it in coming weeks.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2021 7:49 AM

Kicked out of Loew's hotel!

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2021 6:46 PM

Sons should never, ever alienate their daddies, especially when daddy is financing the whole shebang.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2021 6:50 PM

Glad Lincoln Project's on our side - they are vicious but someone's got to do the dirty work

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2021 6:54 PM

I love seeing this asshole SIDELINED.

"No one in Congress is going to let you play their reindeer games!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2021 10:57 PM

Well Josh is back up to his old ways. Never change, Joshy!

VIA THE HILL:

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) announced on Tuesday he would place a hold on Alejandro Mayorkas, President-elect Joe Biden’s choice to lead the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Hawley, who has come under fire recently amid allegations that he played a role in the Capitol riot early this month, made the announcement just hours after the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs wrapped its hearing with Mayorkas. The move delays the nomination of a post Democrats have argued is critical to fill immediately in order to protect national security.

“Mr. Mayorkas has not adequately explained how he will enforce federal law and secure the southern border given President-elect Biden’s promise to roll back major enforcement and security measures,” Hawley said in a statement. Just today, he declined to say he would enforce the laws Congress has already passed to secure the border wall system. Given this, I cannot consent to skip the standard vetting process and fast-track this nomination when so many questions remain unanswered."

Hawley’s opposition comes as Biden and Democrats argue the attacks on the Capitol make the post a top priority. Hawley was the first senator to announce he would vote against certification of the 2020 election results.

His hold could stall a nomination otherwise expected to advance once Democrats gain control of the Senate on Wednesday. Defeating the hold will require a vote by 60 senators, requiring 10 Republicans to cross over in favor of advancing Mayorkas’s nomination.

by Anonymousreply 41January 19, 2021 7:59 PM

His reasoning for objecting is purely antagonist. He's like the junior high kid trying to flex in front of the big boys on the varsity team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 1:35 AM

So, he's one of those that acts like a shit and rather tone it down he dials it but he will not be wrong about anything?

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 1:41 AM

The Senate better move to expel.

by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2021 2:02 AM

She really needs to begin using a better quality hair mousse, or else hurry between buildings on windy days donning a plastic hair kerchief.

by Anonymousreply 45January 20, 2021 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!