Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump won't be convicted and fuel his 2024 reelection bid. Plus more violence to come

Am I wrong? Liberals want to make this a teaching moment, but it won't. Majority of republicans ok with autocracy as long as they're in power.

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2021 10:41 PM

I think you’re wrong, OP. This last impeachment was the most bipartisan is American history. The majority of the American people want him convicted and barred from future federal office. We have a real chance.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 12:11 PM

What you are is a troll. The "Biden lost the vote, there were irregularities" trolls have disappeared and now we have the "he'll get away with it, he's teflon, liberals suck at this" trolls.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 12:12 PM

Should have seen that, R2, I think you’re right. I gotta bone up on my troll radar.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 12:15 PM

We cannot truly move forward as a country until there is accountability and justice. As long as the far right wing believe they can acr without consequence nothing w I’ll change.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 12:27 PM

And yet, most Republican Senators WILL NOT vote to convict. This will embolden Trump and his supporters. There are other ways to destroy these traitors.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 12:30 PM

Your concern is noted, OP

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 12:35 PM

[quote] This last impeachment was the most bipartisan is American history.

I know I was shocked when I heard this. I thought surely they misspoke. Only 10 repigs voted yes.

I didn’t know the historical impeachments were that partisan, except for Clinton’s, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 12:39 PM

Corporations, after getting everything they wanted from the Trump presidency including a impressively fat tax cut, have completely turned against him and anyone who endorses him. They've told the GOP in no uncertain terms that they will cut off all donations to their party unless Trump is excised like the cancer he is. A simple 60-plus majority is needed for this and I think it'll happen. Simply because corporations know that this type of chaos risks a slip into fascism. And fascism is HORRIBLE for business.

So, when impeachment happens - dont be too quick to honor and applaud the republicans who cross the aisle. They are simply doing it because their party is shrinking nationally and they need all the money and support they can get.

This is why I'm confident that Trump's impeachment will be upheld.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 12:48 PM

Oh, I think he's going to be quite busy with a multitude of lawsuits.

Why would he not want to give DNA in a lawsuit that would prove his innocence? If he proved just one of these bitches was a liar he could be vindicated for all of them, in the publics eye. Unless he's guilty. Funny, that he didn't sue her for defamation OR the 13 year old he raped- he settled with her. I wonder why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 12:49 PM

"... including a impressively fat tax cut"

yikes - meant AN impressively fat tax cut.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 12:50 PM

Not sure if the president can run again if he is not convicted. But if he is these are the actions:

if the president is impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate, Trump would be stripped from the post-presidency benefits provided by the Former Presidents Act of 1958.

Trump will lose his $200,000/year pension, $1 million a year travel fund, and taxpayer subsidies to pay for office space and staff. He would still receive security, however, thanks to a 2013 amendment to the law, which provides presidents and spouses (unless they remarry) with Secret Service protection for life.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 12:52 PM

[quote] A simple 60-plus majority is needed for this and I think it'll happen.

You really don’t get how this works, do you?

Either that or you’re simply not good at math.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 12:54 PM

My bad - 2/3 Senate majority needed, which means 17 Republican senators. I still bet it’ll happen.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 12:57 PM

More violence to come whether you impeach Trump or not--so do the right thing and impeach and remove

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 12:58 PM

Side question: can Trump be barred from running again even if he’s not convicted?

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 1:09 PM

"And fascism is HORRIBLE for business."

We were not aware of this.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 1:19 PM

Senate can convict and bar him under 14th amendment from hold office in the future. But it won't happen because Republican senators are afraid of his base and what he'll do to those running in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 1:23 PM

Is it wrong that I just don’t care as long as he’s out of office. I just want him gone. And a lot can happen in the next few years. Would the repugs even want him to run again? There’s also a good chance he’ll be full blown insane by then. As long as he goes away and Biden starts to fix what’s broken I’m ok.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 1:35 PM

I think you're going to see a lot of ugly connections to the GOP and the events at the Capitol last week as the investigation continues and the pieces all come together. You're gonna see members of Congress expelled and perhaps jailed for their role. It remains to be seen how much Trump and his awful family is culpable by the courts. But it's silly to think he's going to come out of this unaffected.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 1:42 PM

"I think you're going to see a lot of ugly connections to the GOP and the events at the Capitol last week as the investigation continues and the pieces all come together. "

That's why the trial phase of Trump's impeachment should be delayed at least three months. By then, their will be insurmountable evidence of his criminality, and hopefully more Repukes will be on board with conviction. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Having the trial begin immediately and a vote within the first week of Biden's tenure is ludicrous and will only result in Trump being found not guilty simply because there are not enough votes yet to convict.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 1:48 PM

I just don't want him to be able to run again. I don't know what the Democrats will need to offer the Senate Republicans to make that happen, but that is all I care about... because I am not convinced that the same fuckers who voted for him last time wouldn't vote for him again in 2024, armed insurrection be damned. And you just know the media would be complicit, as well.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 1:52 PM

So frustrating that people came along and played troll OP's game anyway.

Considering half of you appear to believe the Senate impeaches, I guess it's not a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote] By then, their will be insurmountable evidence

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote] You're gonna see members of Congress expelled and perhaps jailed for their role.

I’ll believe this when I see it. As much as my blood is boiling with rage, I don’t see it happening.

When 10 repigs had the balls and decency to do the right thing, and a couple hundred others didn’t, and even stood up there and defended it, I’m not seeing the clamor for throwing them out.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2021 2:03 PM

Republican Senators are not exactly profiles in courage, 17 of them are needed to vote to convict if all Democrats do, and Manchin is iffy. Tell me which Senator has the balls to the number 17th Senator to vote to convict? If they can't get 25-30 of them to vote to convict they won't get 17.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2021 2:04 PM

More violence means more alienation of middle-class people and professionals from the GOP, OP. So your hopes aren't going to be fulfilled if there's more violence: he won't win in 2024.

He'll probably be in prison by then anyway. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2021 2:06 PM

The Thread Where We Address The Same Shit We Addressed In 78 Other Threads

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2021 2:07 PM

Thank god there’s a new thread about this. Every time someone has a thought about the end of Plump’s presidency it requires a new thread!

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2021 2:07 PM

New pew research poll has his new approval at 29%. I wouldn’t rule out conviction. I’ve noticed that democrats have started to add the “bar him from holding office ever again” line to their main impeachment argument. That has to be tempting to a lot of senate republicans.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2021 2:12 PM

I, too, want to see an indictment/conviction, but I think it needs to move quickly. I'm concerned that some long drawn-out thing is going to slowly erode what's left of people's sense of outrage. It needs to be fast and decisive. 14th Amendment, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2021 2:16 PM

OP is SUCH a troll. Please ban him and delete this thread.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2021 2:17 PM

R30 I agree it should be a swift trial, but the more we find out the worse this thing is gonna get. This was a coordinated coup attempt and people in government were involved.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2021 2:20 PM

I agree r30.

If nothing else, this conduct should be seen as so egregious it warrants immediate action.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2021 2:22 PM

No, R30, it should not move quickly. Once Democrats are in office, they'll find tons and tons of cold, hard evidence of Trump & Company's bullshit not just about the insurrection, but all the crap they've been doing for the last 4 years. That alone will continue to stoke the fires of outrage for years to come, not just weeks.

We simply don't know all the shit Trump has been up since January of 2017.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2021 2:25 PM

R31, you realize what the object of a discussion board is, right? To get people to discuss things online. Nobody wants an echo chamber around here.

If you’re so offended by OP’s post and don’t want to discuss it, feel free to move on to the next Armie or Days of Our Lives thread. Just be sure to check the little eye on this thread so you don’t have to relive the horror of seeing it.

Or you could just sit down and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2021 2:25 PM

The only thing I am 100% certain of is that we HAVE to take away the possibility that he can run for office again through whatever measures are available.

If he can't run again, that will shut down much of the future of the Dump MAGA cult and they will have to focus on something/someone else. Dump will continue to snipe and stir shit in the background but at least he can never be reelected.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote]Trump won't be convicted and fuel his 2024 reelection bid.

Is there a word or two missing here? Will he fuel his reelection bid? Won't he? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote]I didn’t know the historical impeachments were that partisan, except for Clinton’s, obviously.

You make it sound like there were dozens of them. Before Clinton, there was only ONE. And after Clinton, only two--both Trump's.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2021 2:49 PM

There's nothing to be gained by holding back on impeachment and removal. Trump and his followers will not be reasonable under any circumstances. EVERYTHING fuels their rage and violence.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2021 2:55 PM

If Trump pardons himself, Rudy, or any of the rioters I think the senate would definitely convict

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2021 3:00 PM

Isn’t is fascinating that Republicans use the excuse that they can’t vote against their base because they fear for the safety of their families, but aren’t the least bit concerned about violence from progressives in their states?

There’s the proof of the myth that ANTIFA is any kind of radical violent group, if it exists at all. Good talking point for Democratic Senators and house members.

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote] You make it sound like there were dozens of them.

Who the fuck said that? I sure as hell didn’t.

But there have been historical impeachments and I was surprised to learn that the articles handed up by the Judiciary Committee in Nixon’s case before he resigned was not a bipartisan vote. And that Johnson’s wasn’t bipartisan.

Take a Xanax, guy.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2021 4:05 PM

If he were younger I might agree, but I don't think a 78 year old Donald will be all that keen on going through all of it again.

Although... for a while he may act like he's gonna run to set up further grifts - well, he's already doing that, but I think he may tease it as long as he can but stop just before really committing to the debates and all the hard stuff that comes when you get closer to 2024.

I think he'll find something more fun and easier for him to engage in his devilment with. He's got a following - he'll do something with it, but presidenting can be annoying as fuck. Especially for a fat, lazy, touchy-as-hell creep like our trash Dump.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2021 4:14 PM

Even if convicted he'll say he's running to grift the deplorables more. They won't understand or will refuse to believe that he won't be eligible.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2021 4:15 PM

He knows his entire term was cruising on the fumes of the Obama Presidency. To get re-elected- esp. in a recession and pandemic- would be foolhardy.

It was just dumb luck that he got out with any kind of approval rating. Now he can play the victim, and play on Deplorable sympathy.

The whole "I wuz robbed" thing was a fake. A money-grab. And he plotted revenge on Pelosi & Co. for months, he and his operatives riling-up the fanatics online (the 6th... it's gonna be wild).

He should have been forbidden to have a rally that day. In that vicinity. It was deliberate.

And he'll get away scot-free, as always.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2021 4:47 PM

I got this from another forum - I don't know the protocol, should I name the poster (pseudonym of course) and the forum, or just steal it and post it? Anyhow, thought it was well-said:

This President is a lame duck. 'E is bereft of power. 'E is pining for better ratings. This President is no more. If they hadn't pumped him full of Adderall he'd be screaming at his phone hoping it would shock Twitter into accepting him back. 'E's away with the fairies. 'E's shuffled off the political stage and slithered into the swamp of infamy. 'E has expired and gone to meet his creditors. This is an ex-President.

Biden's on the Edge of Glory while the Shallow Judas must Dance in the Dark. America's Bad Romance with the Monster is about to end

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] E's away with the fairies.

Well, he sho was in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2021 6:49 PM

Look on the bright side. If Trump is able to run again, I doubt he will be nominated by the Republican party, which means he will split the Republican vote.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2021 7:33 PM

I agree with R8 that Trump went against business leaders too many times for them to ignore., over trifling selfish stuff.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote]But there have been historical impeachments and I was surprised to learn that the articles handed up by the Judiciary Committee in Nixon’s case before he resigned was not a bipartisan vote. And that Johnson’s wasn’t bipartisan.

There's a difference between "impeachments" and "impeachment HEARINGS." There have only been four Presidential impeachments: Johnson's, Clinton's and Trump x 2.

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2021 9:58 PM

i don't know whether he'll be convicted at his impeachment trial or not, but know one thing. At some point he's going to be convicted in some court of law after he's long gone from Washington.

by Anonymousreply 51January 15, 2021 10:01 PM

No trump week ever won ever. He lost the popular vote on '16, lost again by a bigger margin and that name is forever stuck with his stank. Sure, that family will continue with the lying and grifting but they are not gaining more followers. Most American see through them.

by Anonymousreply 52January 15, 2021 10:08 PM

OP = Susan Collins.

Clutch those pearls, ya old cunt! Clutch them to dust!

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2021 10:58 PM

He’ll be dead

by Anonymousreply 54January 15, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote] And yet, most Republican Senators WILL NOT vote to convict. This will embolden Trump and his supporters. There are other ways to destroy these traitors.—OP

The question is, how many Republican senators will even participate? If they "boycott this unlawful impeachment", then a 2/3rds majority conviction will be a lot easier to come by.

by Anonymousreply 55January 15, 2021 11:08 PM

Get over yourself, r50.

by Anonymousreply 56January 15, 2021 11:34 PM

Well this aged well.

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2021 10:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!