Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The collapse of San Francisco is complete

Notorious drama queen San Francisco faces another complete collapse. In 15 years it will be back yet again, but I wonder what the boom will be based on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 4:58 PM

Which “tech era” is ending?

A former roommate of mine moved there to be the tech bro he always tried to deny he was, and his life is apparently a Wes Anderson movie now. Judging from his Instagram posts. I wonder if he realizes he’s guilty of helping to ruin the city.

If “a tech era” is ending, I’m glad, whichever one it is.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 5:17 AM

So how many people are leaving because they can work from home now, and live some place cheaper?

That's why pepole leave SF and the Bay Area, it's just the cost of living, particularly the cost of housing.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 5:25 AM

Exactly, R2.

Mark my words. Just when enough people leave for the rents to come down for the middle class to finally afford to come back, the City will thrive again with the pandemic under control. I give it a year.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 5:29 AM

Really? You think Benchmark Capital is going to start funding startups in Dallas? Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 3:19 PM

I'm a Disney park nerd. I want more CA people to move to Texas so Disney builds Disney's America there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 3:35 PM

R4 - never say never. Saving/making money is the bottom line for most companies, especially one like Benchmark Capital. If it decreases their costs output and raises their profit, they'll do it in a hearbeat, and beat the drum proudly about it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 4:04 PM

I live in Silicon Valley and most of these stories about a mass exodus are grossly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 4:16 PM

Is it really a collapse when people can afford to get a one bedroom apartment for $2,000 per month? All major cities will clear out a bit after the pandemic. Good. Cities need shakeups.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 4:29 PM

So they ruin the lovely city of San Francisco and now they want to spread that ruin to other cites- No thanks...

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!