Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do cashiers LOUDLY announce when cards are declined?

It's like the need to embarrass the customer to feel better about their sad pathetic lives

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2021 1:35 AM

OP, you type POORS.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 3:12 AM

Honey, it’s not their fault you have a 470 credit score.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 3:13 AM

r2 my credit score matches my SAT verbal score, which my psychic assures me is a very lucky thing.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 3:15 AM

What else do cashiers have to look forward to?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 3:16 AM

They don't. I've been one, and I never did that. I never heard anyone else do it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 3:18 AM

R5 lies like a rug.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 3:19 AM

I really wouldn't know, OP, never having had a credit card declined.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 3:20 AM

It's when they say, "May I suggest Mr. Ray's Wig World?" that I get truly humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 3:21 AM

Because it’s fun?

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 3:29 AM

She doesn’t have enough money!

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 3:33 AM

It's better than when they do price checks over the store's audio system: "Price check on condoms. Price check. Extra small."

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 3:35 AM

I had one loudly announce that a container of juice was leaking in my grocery cart, onto the floor. I gave her the "gurl, its not like Im going to be the one cleaning it up" look, and someone quickly came with a roll of paper.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 3:43 AM

I've never had that happen, but when I was younger there was a teller at my bank that would always announce the balance out loud. I wanted to kick her in the teeth. Even the other employees when walking by would pause when she did that.

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 9:20 PM

I've had cards declined. Never felt the cashier was purposely loud about it. Why would you care if strangers heard your card was declined? It doesn't mean youre poor or dont have credit, it might mean your card has a low amount of credit on it....Some people even have designated cards with low limits for internet shopping. If you think it screams to the world "I'm poor!" then that's on you. I'd rather have a card with a $1000 balance hit $1000 than a $24,000 balance on a $25,000 limit. Plus, who cares what a cashier thinks? They are literally working a cash register.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 9:48 PM

What about the good old days when cashiers had to call the credit card company to authorize a purchase? Every once in a while, the cashier received instructions to cut an over-limit customer's card in half. The department store drama was exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2021 12:48 AM

Because it’s one of the rare perks of the job. Getting to be a bitch and the customer can’t do shit about it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2021 12:53 AM

Maybe you should pay more than just the minimum payment every month, deadbeat OP.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2021 12:54 AM

“Sir, your GOLD CARD was declined!”

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2021 12:58 AM

“Why do cashiers LOUDLY announce when cards are declined?”

You do realize that your Library Card can’t pay for those pork rinds and sugar-coated cereal?

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2021 1:01 AM

*blows dog whistle*

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2021 1:04 AM

I worked in retail and HATED telling people their card was declined. The majority of the time the person understood, but occasionally you'd get a person who would flip out about it. "TRY IT AGAIN!" "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!" "SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH YOUR SYSTEM" One guy threatened to beat me up for embarrassing him in front of his family.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2021 1:05 AM

In my 20+ years of working registers in every form of business imaginable ,twice I had cards declined. Out of 10 zillion transactions. Debit cards on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2021 1:27 AM

I don't care about accruing miles. I usually use a debit card instead of a credit card.

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2021 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!