Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Have a Bit of Music That Brings Great Comfort?

Jo Stafford singing "Shenandoah" does it for me. Not quite Zen or calming, but listening to this reminds me of the beauty that can still be experienced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2021 3:50 AM

I like to dance slow with the husband to Johnny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2021 1:42 AM

Anyone who can hear "Shenandoah," even via Stafford, and think it has something to do with American beauty shows a considerable lack of understanding of what the song in its variants is about.

Beautiful as it can be.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2021 1:52 AM

“Close to You” by Sarah Vaughan (not the similarly titled Carpenters hit).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2021 1:54 AM

I love the chorus in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2021 1:55 AM

I had to post this piano version of Oh, Shenandoah in contrast to the OP's version, especially for everything that happens after timemark 1:41.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 1:56 AM

Sheila Walsh’s song “Hide”.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 1:59 AM

I'm not American so I'm not 100% if this band aren't Confederate reenactors. But I always like the wistfulness of this version of Shenandoah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 2:02 AM

I love this, by The Weavers. Singing their standard Irene Goodnight when they finally made it to Carnegie Hall. Lee Hall was desperately ill, but he gave it his all. At 3:46 you can see him struggling. It's deeply touching to see Ronnie Gilbert trying to swallow her emotion. I watch this video all the time when work is getting me down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 2:18 AM

George Winston- any of his albums but especially December. It’s the musical equivalent of a warm mug of hot chocolate. It brings light to the dark month for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 2:40 AM

"Only Yesterday" -- Carpenters

Not the words, but their beautiful voices blending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 2:53 AM

The instrumental version of Vince Guaraldi's 'Christmastime is Here':

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2021 6:15 AM

This music needs to be listened to carefully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2021 7:46 AM

I've been listening to this lately. I don't realize how stressed I've become until I feel my shoulders come down from around my ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2021 8:22 AM

These days, "Living on My Own" by Freddie and "Somebody to Love". Reminds me of the good old days and also just the lyrics resonate. Call me crazy. I am also listening to more arias from operas by Bizet and to Vivaldi symphonies....their beauty reminds me that somehow, some day...things will be normal again.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2021 8:27 AM

[quote]Vivaldi symphonies

I like his concertos, too. He wrote nearly 500 of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2021 9:57 AM

R2, I'm not sure what you mean. Where is the lack of understanding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2021 2:53 PM

I am not Orthodox, or even Christian, but I love this, both the music and the words. Moves me to tears, especially as I grow older:

(from Psalm 71):

Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.

For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together,

Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for there is none to deliver him.

O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help.

Let them be confounded and consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered with reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt.

But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2021 3:02 PM

I’ve always liked this. Even as a little kid, it would catch my ear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 3:03 PM

Percy Faith's cover of Beautiful Ohio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 3:05 PM

I have a playlist of calming/comfort music.

One is the band Innocence Mission. They've been around for decades.....something about their music and the singer's voice just calm me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 3:09 PM

Speaking of Percy Faith, his cover of Shenandoah:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 3:10 PM

This comforts me because I associate it with my grandmother and my childhood:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 3:11 PM

My brother is in his 70s and still loves Kate Smith‘s version of “When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain.”

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 7:18 PM

My meditation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2021 12:42 AM

I've loved Silvetti's 'Atmosphere' since the first time I heard years ago. A gorgeous piece that never gets old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2021 12:54 AM

'Pastel Sea' by Casiopea. A new discovery for me that I can't stop listening to. Everything I've heard by this band has been outstanding!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2021 1:01 AM

Cinema Paridiso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2021 1:07 AM

Gabriel's Oboe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2021 1:48 PM

Mozart Clarinet Concerto - K622

Pachelbel's Canon in A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2021 2:18 PM

I find this uplifting when I'm down. I find myself braiding my hair and dancing around going "De herta herta herta".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2021 2:26 PM

A bit of easy listening...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2021 2:33 PM

I shared this in a post several years ago, but want to reshare.

For me, this is *the* quintessential piece of American nostalgia, and perhaps the single greatest piece of American music ever composed. Agee’s words and Barber’s are perfection together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2021 2:47 PM

Hills of Tomorrow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2021 2:51 PM

^ Barber’s MUSIC

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2021 2:51 PM

Following this thread! A good one.

by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2021 2:59 PM

Speaking of Samuel Barber's music, here's "Summer Music."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2021 4:32 PM

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2021 3:51 PM

A piano cover of a pop song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2021 3:53 PM

Fort Saganne by Philippe Sarde

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2021 4:08 PM

This morning I happen to be enjoying some of the dances from Terpsichore (Michael Praetorius, 1612), specifically 𝐿𝑎 𝐵𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑒́𝑒 and 𝐿𝑎 𝑉𝑜𝑙𝑡𝑒 (at the link below, beginning at 54:45):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2021 5:32 PM

Stephen Foster's "Linger in Blissful Repose." Now thought of as funeral music, but not composed as such. Used to great effect in the film "Big Eden."

"If....." by Bread. This was my and my late husband's song.

"The Moldau," by Smetana. Stirring, evocative and ultimately comforting.

"Ave Maria." Makes me think of my maternal grandmother, a staunch non-religious woman. She would sing it every Christmas, in Italian( I think it was a holdover from being educated in a convent as a young girl)

"You Are My Sunshine." My late husband's lullaby. His mother, close to the end of her life and after months of no communication whatsoever, sang the entire song, prompted by my husband playing the tune on a piano in the nursing home. Not a dry eye in the house. I always tear up when I think of it. I purchased a small, paper banner with the lyrics on it, found at a local Dollar Tree.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2021 7:07 PM

I was going to post "You Are My Sunshine," too, Bronzie. I like Carly's version. I must have liked some other version in childhood, but when I encountered this version 10 or 12 years ago, I couldn't stop playing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] "If....." by Bread. This was my and my late husband's song.

Oh, BronzeAgeGay, this made me cry in the middle of the day.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2021 7:53 PM

Once Upon A Time In The West

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2021 7:55 PM

I am comforted as well by Barber's Adagio for Strings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2021 8:18 PM

And the Beach Boys' "You Still Believe in Me" still comforts me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2021 8:28 PM

James Horner's "The Ludlows" from Legends of the Fall movie, always makes me appreciate on how wonderful good music is.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2021 8:29 PM

Anyone remember an old Fifties song called "Mr.Blue"?

Even more obscure is an Elton John (mostly) instrumental called "Song For Guy", released after his Seventies success, but before his Eighties hits. It's a beautiful song that was big in England, but flopped in America.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2021 8:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2021 9:01 PM

The Beatles (White Album)

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2021 9:09 PM

A beautiful piano rendition of " Film Out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2021 2:45 AM

I just found out about Jo Stafford today. But not Jo Stafford—Darlene Edwards, of Jonathan and Darlene Edwards.

Holy shit, their version of “I Am Woman” had me rolling on the floor. I actually started to get a headache from the laughter. Dataloungers, if you’re not familiar, please set aside some time for these two comedic geniuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2021 3:05 AM

!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2021 3:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!