Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Online Life Insurance

So I want to get a new life insurance policy. I have two but they're relatively small and I'd like to get another one so my blatino husbear would be taken care of if I were to be hit by a meteorite.

The friend who sold me the policies several years ago is no longer selling life insurance, and said that there are many legitimate life insurance companies where you can do the whole transaction online.

I'm interested only in "whole" life insurance, not "term" life insurance, which expires after a set number of years. I'm too old now (48) to bother with term life.

Have any of you bought life insurance online, and do you have any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 3:28 AM

Why can't you call one of the top ranked companies directly - or call several and get quotes.

You'll have to pass a physical. I got $500k policy from TIAA-CREF by just calling them up and starting the process on the phone, after reading up about the company before-hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2021 10:20 PM

I used to work for life insurance companies. Here's what I can tell you.

How healthy are you? Generally, at your age, you will have to submit to a health exam if you want to be underwrittem for insurance. Minor things may be OK, but if you have diabetes, a missing organ, asthma/COPD or similar chronic conditions, they may decline coverage.

Whole life insurance is usually more expensive. They will hold some of the premium payments as "cash value" but that cash value can shrink as you get older, because they assess more administrative costs as you get older. Generally, it's better to put that money into savings vs letting the insurer have a free loan where they are not paying you interest.

Term life insurance is always the cheapest in terms of cost, and can be continued from term to term, but again, it may require new health exams to continue from one term to another.

The easiest way to get a life insurance policy is through one's employer. Those usually waive underwriting, which is a bonus, but not all of them will be "portable" - meaning, you can continue it even if you leave your employer.

If you had a larger amount of money to invest, you could consider an annuity, where you name Papi as the beneficiary. (Not to be mean but nothing you said suggested you were working with large sums.)

Speaking of beneficiaries, it's also important if you have a 401K or pension plan to name him as beneficiary there, too.

At 48, it's probably time to see a financial planner and do a will/trust if you do not have one, as well as getting POA's for healthcare and financial down on paper. (We're actually behind in doing it ourselves, but my husband's work gave us a benefit this year of free legal assistance.)

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2021 10:22 PM

PS:

I worked for a company that did insurance policies for "preneed" and people often don't think of this, but for any DL'ers who are, shall we say, our most esteemed eldergays, you may want to consider funeral planning. The insurance policy is a way to lock in costs for your funeral or cremation.

And for the love of all that is holy, if someone tries to offer you something called Universal Life Insurance, run as if you are on fire. (If your company provides it to you, it's OK. But in general, it was a product that was better in the 80s when there were high interest rates. At that time they thought the interest would eventually sustain policies so people didn't ever have to pay premium again. Of course that isn't the case now and people who bought it in 1980something got pissed.)

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2021 10:26 PM

I have millions in the bank and cannot get more life insurance because I have a history of major depression and have been on meds for it for years. I’m 48.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2021 10:31 PM

Colonial Penn runs ads aimed at Elders whose family will need money for the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2021 10:36 PM

Whole life is a scam the insurance industry came up with to suck up your money. They keep pushing whole life because they know it makes them the most money.

Term insurance is just that—for a term to help your beneficiary live without your income. It’s not supposed to go on forever. It’s a whole lot cheaper than whole.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 1:53 AM

don’t buy insurance to finance your funeral.

If you need insurance to pay for that, your funeral is way too expensive. Plus you’ll be dead anyway

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2021 1:54 AM

R4, if you have millions in the bank, why would you need life insurance?

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2021 1:55 AM

R7 There can be tax advantages to preplanning, but yes, unless it's a small policy under 5 or 10K then the funeral is too expensive. I wouldn't sign over a larger policy for that.

Sometimes companies also do Final Expense policies for the same market/audience/reason. Those are often purchased because an elderly person is trying to qualify for Medicare/Medicaid and they have to spend down their assets in order to qualify. Buying something you were going to use anyway makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2021 3:24 AM

I didn't always agree with her, but she knew her shit re insurance. She was also suspicious of annuities (which can be sensible things, but are too often sold to elderly people who don't understand the restrictions).

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2021 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!