Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joanne Rogers (Mister Rogers' wife) passes away

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 11:59 PM

Mein King Friday:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2021 9:50 PM

Fucking hell, I feel bad for the people who died while Trump was still in office. Especially someone close to Fred Rogers, who was his antithesis.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2021 10:23 PM

She's in the Mr. Rogers documentary, which makes sure to put in there that Rogers was a lifelong Republican. Shows how things have changed.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2021 11:12 PM

She made a point of saying recently (I think) that Republicans were different back then.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2021 11:18 PM

Aww, she has a beautiful smile. I love people who exude raw joy.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2021 11:20 PM

Lavender marriage?

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote]She made a point of saying recently (I think) that Republicans were different back then.

She said that while Fred was a Republican, he still voted independently. (Seems like she was saying he voted for who he liked and didn't always vote for the party.) However, because of the show, he absolutely would never discuss politics. He didn't want to upset anyone.

She herself did an interview where she shared how much she despised Trump multiple times. She mused that if Fred were alive he wouldn't like him either.

[quote]Lavender marriage?

Highly doubtful. That would have come out a long time ago. That's the kind of business everyone in Pittsburgh would have figured out or heard about.

I met the man years ago (met him once before as a kid too) and he was the real deal. I only spoke to him for a few minutes and he, I don't know how to explain it, made me feel like I was getting the approval of a parent I loved? I didn't get the impression I was bugging him. He was just so kind. I just told him how much I loved him and IDEK like, he was SO NICE.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2021 11:33 PM

They had two kids together so he got in there at least twice.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2021 11:37 PM

R7, my sister lived in Key West in the late 1980’s/ early 90’s and SWORE that Mr Rogers visited to partake in gay sex with locals, and that it was well known back then. I know that my sister wouldn’t make it up. Maybe other people made it up though. She owned a risqué lingerie shop at the time, and had a lot of gay friends. I agree that it would’ve probably come out by now, but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2021 11:44 PM

I have it on good authority that Fred and Joanne were in a throuple with Captain Kangaroo.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2021 11:50 PM

Be that as it may, they were good people.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2021 11:51 PM

Joan had him on her show in the 80s. It's a charming video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2021 11:52 PM

I remember reading that he genuinely loved his wife, but also enjoyed playing with the fellas—and had a lot to share with them. If true, no one is saying anything more specific than that, including the gay cast member (can’t remember his name at the moment) who did go on record (maybe in the doc) as having been warned by Fred that he had been seen in the bars and that he couldn’t continue to appear on the show if he didn’t find more discreet outlets. The sense I got was that Rogers was not homophobic (other than in ways even the most open-minded and accepting of people were then) as much as aware that, at the time, being identified as a gay man who frequented gay bars would inevitably get out and lose audiences (this story was from decades ago).

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2021 11:56 PM

It’s well known that Rogers was attracted to men. He admitted that himself.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2021 11:56 PM

When? Where? Link.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 11:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!