Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you visited the Palais des Papes in Avignon?

Is it worth it?

It looks ficking huge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2021 4:04 AM

Yes. It is fking amazing! I was 4 hrs in the Palais des Papes. It is fascinating. The downspouts are little pascal lambs instead of lions. Lol. Avignon is very cool. You can bike around the old walled city in lik 30 mins. Nimes and Pont du Gard are close. I rented a car and driver for the day and saw some of the best extant Roman architecture in the world!

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2021 7:55 PM

The tomb room is super haunted tho...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2021 7:57 PM

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2021 7:57 PM

Yes, OP. It's big. It's really, really big. Vast empty spaces.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2021 7:59 PM

Yes. Big and cold. Very pretty. I was in HS, what else to say?

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2021 8:06 PM

The pic at OP is not great. And its amazing lit up at night. The plaza in front is lined with bistros. Very pleasant way to spend the day.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2021 8:06 PM

Excellent wine from that region, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2021 8:07 PM

Op here. It's almost the only one (at least on that grand scale) of the medieval gothic palaces left in Europe. The biggest: Buda Castle was destroyed, as were the Lateran and Westminster palaces. Others survive, like the Ile de la Cite and Prague Castle, but very much altered.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2021 8:07 PM

The funny thing is that it served, in it's final current form, as a Papal residence for only a couple of decades (50 years more if you count the Avignon Popes of the Westers Schism) and that is what probably saved it from destruction or alteration.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2021 8:09 PM

The Great Mausoleum at Forest Lawn Cemetery was based on the Palais des Papes.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2021 8:23 PM

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by Avignon and the surrounding areas...wasn't expecting the Palais du Papes, which was great even though now it's more of a ruin than an actual Palace.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2021 8:47 PM

Yes, OP.

It IS fabulous and the surrounding area is beautiful. The Rhone is a pretty awesome river, too. I was surprised how fast and turbulent it can be. Like the Mississippi in places.

Great area to spend a vacation. I really enjoyed my time there

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2021 9:20 PM

Yes, two years ago.

Very impressive. Avignon is a wonderful city.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2021 9:28 PM

Yes, it is worth visiting. While you're in the neighborhood, also visit Pont du Gard, a beautiful Roman aqueduct.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2021 9:35 PM

In Avignon all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 9:48 PM

I really liked Arles, which is nearby. Neat little city. Roman ruins galore.

And yes, Pont du Gard is a must-see. Simply incredible the engineering involved -- all without computers!

Finally, The Carmargue is great too -- Rhone River delta. Scores of pink flamingoes from Africa and white Camargue horses. So inspiring an area that Rolls-Royce named one of their car models after it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] Simply incredible the engineering involved -- all without computers!

It was aliens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2021 10:55 PM

Yes, I've been. And yes, it is.

Plus Nimes, Arles, Aix-en-Provence, then on to Saint-Tropez, Cannes, Nice, Eze, and Monaco.

If I had to do it again, I would add Marseille.

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2021 12:52 AM

I loved it and Avignon is a wonderful gateway to parts of France that a lot of tourists don't normally think of. Provence of course, but to the west there is Nîmes, Castelnaudary, and Montpelier.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2021 1:10 AM

I love the whole two competing Popes in Avignon and Rome history

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] Montpelier

Full of very aggressive street beggars. Is Avignon the same; if so, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2021 1:28 AM

I spent 5 weeks in the region two years ago and am looking forward to (one day post COVID) going back. Great scenery, food, wine and history. The palace is huge and eerily beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2021 1:36 AM

I don't remember seeing one beggar in Avignon. Marseilles was interesting too. A bit rough but still felt safe during the day and in tourist areas.

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2021 1:50 AM

The museum is very well done. Lots of artifacts on display and yes some giant empty rooms. You can get a headset for companion audio tour.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2021 5:57 AM

Sorry Op, I needed a better picture. The place looks very bland but vast. I'd love to check it out in 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2021 5:42 PM

Op here. The picture I posted was to compare the size of the building with humans, hence the close shot.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2021 6:02 PM

R21 France does have its troubles, aggressive street begging certainly being one of the more noticeable ones. It has been a long time so I can’t say if Avignon now suffers from it as well.

*Montpellier

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2021 6:58 PM

Montpelhièr es una comuna occitana de Lengadòc, situada administrativament dins lo departament Erau e la region Occitània.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2021 11:28 PM

We hold our annual Datalounge gala there every year.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2021 11:31 PM

Carcassonne is fabulous as well, OP. The train ride from Carcassonne to Avignon was gorgeous.

The old city is just as it was during the Inquisition.

That region of France was the highlight of my vacation many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2021 11:54 PM

Is Nice nice?

by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2021 12:08 AM

Putting in a word here for Béziers and its spectacularly monocular cathedral on a cliff above the river.

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2021 12:09 AM

I been to Paris Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2021 12:25 AM

No, but I sure do like calling on Los Papis de las Palestras. :j

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2021 6:59 AM

The Avignon Papacy, when it was established in 1309, bordered the Kingdom of France, and was in the sphere of influence with the Holy Roman Empire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2021 8:13 PM

By 1378, the beginning of the Western Schism, Avignon was entirely within France and under the influence of the French kings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2021 8:17 PM

R36's map is a salad. England was never part of the Empire.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2021 3:10 AM

R37, the map doesn't say England was part of the Empire. Read the map key.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2021 4:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!