Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attorneys tasked with finding separated families say that they have yet to find the parents of 611 children.

Justice officials respond to new report on family separation by blaming Trump, expressing regret;

Former DOJ official Rod Rosenstein told NBC News Thursday that zero tolerance "was a failed policy that never should have been proposed or implemented."

WASHINGTON — After a scathing new report from the Justice Department's watchdog blamed top department officials for being the "driving force" behind the Trump administration's 2018 migrant family separation policy, former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein issued a statement of regret and current DOJ official Gene Hamilton blamed the president for the policy.

In interviews with the DOJ Office of Inspector General in the lead up to the report, Gene Hamilton, known as a close ally of White House adviser Stephen Miller, said the decision to separate families, a controversial policy known as "zero tolerance" that lasted two months in 2018 before it was terminated by executive order, ultimately rested with President Donald Trump and then-Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen .

"If Secretary Nielsen and DHS did not want to refer people with minors, with children, then we wouldn't have prosecuted them because they wouldn't have referred them. And ultimately that decision would be between Secretary Nielsen and the president," Hamilton told the Office of Inspector General, according to the report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 8:38 AM

They separated breastfeeding babies from their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2021 7:38 PM

I said “sorry.”

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2021 7:40 PM

R1 - those babies were sold for adoption

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2021 8:32 PM

I'm sure they are trying very hard.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2021 8:49 PM

I know the Biden admin will be busy but I 'm sure they will try to make this a priority. What a tragic shame and completely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2021 8:24 AM

I'm really surprised that Rosenstein is so much taller than Sessions. I'd thought it was the other way around. Both, however, are evil.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2021 8:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!