Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Phillip Rucker and Ashley Parker

Does anyone else think that these two have been strung along and manipulated by the white house since the first days of this presidency? Both of them seem like smart people but I just have this sinking feeling that most of what they have reported of the last 4 years has been largely palace intrigue and borderlines on entertainment reporting along the lines of Hollywood gossip.

Far too many times their articles have served to distract from other, far more serious maneuvers behind the scenes. I don't necessarily blame them because even skeptical, educated people have managed to fall under the president's spell. I just think that they were too close to their subject, and media at large needs to rethink its approach to the president going forward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2021 5:35 PM

It looks from the outside like they have been used again and again to settle scores between waring factions of the WH. Very little ground breaking reporting that I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2021 4:34 PM

It seems like they have only reported what the white house wanted them too, or at least certain members at certain times instead of painting the public a full picture.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2021 4:35 PM

Let's just say that these two are no Woodward and Bernstein.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2021 4:35 PM

Of course, these two do produce a lot of clicks and headlines and maybe that is the model that WaPo has embraced, after a century of being a serious newspaper.

It has changed owners after all. Maybe this is the future.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2021 4:36 PM

OP, why are you replying to yourself? I like their reporting, I’m a gossip hound and love the trinkets of inside info. I don’t get my news only from them. If one did, that would be a problem. But their stories on Dump’s final days are great.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2021 4:37 PM

They do access journalism. There's a lot of demand for that kind of thing.

It's very evident from their writing that both of them loathe Trump and so it's a little ridiculous to say they've been "used" by the White House - they're both too smart for that and in any case they have definitely exposed a lot of dirty laundry even though it doesn't exactly amount to "news." Rucker in particular does more weekend analysis these days than reporting.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2021 4:38 PM

I love gossip just as much as the next guy. But these was the senior White House reporter for a major newspaper.

I don't dislike Rucker or Parker at all. I just think they might be better suited for People magazine.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2021 4:40 PM

They always seemed so giddy when coming back form the WH like two little schoolgirls. It was unprofessional to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2021 4:44 PM

OP, why are you singling out those two and not, say, Maggie Haberman, who does the exact same thing?

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2021 4:48 PM

Eh.

Not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2021 4:48 PM

Their most recent article about Rudy being cut off is a great example. To me, it appears that article was used to put more pressure on Rudy and others. It served a purpose for the white house, which is typical with these two's articles. They always seem to serve a purpose for the WH.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2021 4:57 PM

Put pressure on Rudy? In what way?

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2021 5:17 PM

Rucker co-authored a great book with Carol Leonnig. A Very Stable Genius.

I love both Parker and Rucker, but of the two of them Parker is the one who comes across as having fluffy tendencies, if you follow her on social media. Rucker always seems more serious to me, almost all the time, in what he says and writes, no matter the medium.

But I agree with R6.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2021 5:19 PM

r12, by threatening him, and making the pressure public. No wonder it's effective if even DLers can't suss this out.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2021 5:45 PM

What does "access journalism" mean? Is it a derogatory term?

I love both of them, btw. I always look forward to their appearances on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 5:55 PM

No, they're simply reporting that the White House is putting pressure on Rudy Giuliani. They're not doing the White House a favor by reporting that - in fact, they're making the White House look ridiculous by revealing the chaos in its legal arrangements. The White House would prefer that no one report that at all.

It's definitely true that every White House will leak information to reporters to get at their enemies, but that's not what's going on here. Rudy Giuliani couldn't care less about the Washington Post. If the White House wanted to get at someone, it would leak information to Fox.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2021 6:42 PM

These two should have ran a gossip column with all the juicy tidbits but had hard hitting reporters do the actual WH reporting. I think it would have made a difference in the last 4 years.

Just my opinion. I realize they are both very popular and have a lot of loyal readers.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2021 6:48 PM

Ashley Parker: hot off the WAPO press--

‘Oh God, I miss him’: Biden keeps returning to Trump as a cause of nation’s troubles

By Ashley Parker

March 26 at 5:30 AM ET
 (The Debrief:  An occasional series offering a reporter’s insights
)

"President Biden mentioned him early and often. He mentioned him overtly and obliquely. And he mentioned him on a range of issues, from immigration to human rights to Afghanistan.
In Biden’s first solo news conference on Thursday, the specter of former president Donald Trump loomed awkwardly — part foil, part scapegoat and, once, as a punchline.
“My predecessor, oh God, I miss him,” Biden said at one point, seeming to channel the just-can’t-quit-him fascination with the former president. A reporter had asked if Biden planned to run again in 2024, noting that unlike Trump, “you haven’t set up a reelection campaign yet, as your predecessor had by this time.”"

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2021 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!