Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andra Day IS Lady Day, Miss Billie Holiday

The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37Last Saturday at 1:15 PM

This looks like a good film.

by Anonymousreply 101/12/2021

Holiday had a very distinctive voice, both speaking and singing, and it sounds like Audra Day hit it just right. It’s not a facsimile of Holiday’s voice, but she captures the essence of it.

by Anonymousreply 201/12/2021

"it sounds like Audra Day hit it just right. It’s not a facsimile of Holiday’s voice, but she captures the essence of it."

Bitch, please!!

by Anonymousreply 301/12/2021

lololol

Diana Ross neither looked nor sounded anything like Billie Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 401/12/2021

I would have sworn that was Billie Holidays singing.

by Anonymousreply 501/12/2021

No, but it’s a good approximation.

by Anonymousreply 601/12/2021

How lucky we are to live in such modern and enlightened times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 701/12/2021

THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

Andra Day ::::bows down::::::

by Anonymousreply 801/12/2021

[quote]Diana Ross neither looked nor sounded anything like Billie Holiday.

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 901/12/2021

Diana Ross gave an Oscar worthy performance but it was a fictionalized interpretation.

Day looks and sounds stunning and eerily accurate. She’s coming for dicks, wigs, precursors, AND the Oscar.

Again....

by Anonymousreply 1001/12/2021

Also, it looks like Lee is back in form.

by Anonymousreply 1101/12/2021

I want Garrett Hedlund's mustache to tickle my taint

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1201/12/2021

This looks incredible. If Lee Daniels is back in form, could this be a best picture candidate? From the previews alone, If the previews are anything to go by, Andra Day will be a serious Oscar contender.

by Anonymousreply 1301/12/2021

R12 😂

by Anonymousreply 1401/12/2021

[quote] If Lee Daniels is back in form, could this be a best picture candidate?

Hell yes. True story, check; icon, check; topical and still relevant, check.

by Anonymousreply 1501/12/2021

And isn’t it so perfect and fitting that Audra Day has probably given the definitive performance of “Lady Day.”

by Anonymousreply 1601/12/2021

Im surprised they didn't consider Nicole Kidman or at least Julia Roberts or the role

by Anonymousreply 1701/12/2021

After seeing Audra McDonald's performance in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill on HBO, I don't know if I can watch another Billie impression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1801/12/2021

Alright for Miss Lawrence getting movie work!! Men on film baby, two snaps and a twist!

by Anonymousreply 1901/12/2021

R18 Chile, please. MacDonald is cute but based on this trailer, doesn’t touch the hem of Audra’s gown.

I can just [italic]feel[/italic] that this is going to be my favorite performance this year.

by Anonymousreply 2001/12/2021

*Andra’s gown

by Anonymousreply 2101/12/2021

The Prada-designed costumes are gorgeous. I saw Andra perform in a small club in LA a few years ago and she's the real deal. Funny, sweet, and an incredible voice. Vogue has a lovely editorial of the designs but I am not allowed to post them here for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2201/12/2021

I need this movie NOW. Perfect night for it, too.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Friday at 6:09 PM

I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 24Last Friday at 6:55 PM

I have a feeling it's gonna suck. Hope I'm wrong. Billie is my favorite singer.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Friday at 7:07 PM

I saw Audra McDonald and she was perfection.

Don’t need to see Audra Day

by Anonymousreply 26Last Friday at 7:22 PM

Andra Day

by Anonymousreply 27Last Friday at 7:22 PM

I'm actually shocked. This looks like a Lee Daniels film that I can watch all the way through and enjoy. It will be a first for me.

He always thought of himself as the Black Almodovar, and like Almodovar who also went through his his campy/trashy/sensationalistic phase while finally moving more into more artistry territory, it looks like Lee Daniels is doing the same. I say bravo. He saw Barry Jenkins' success with Moonlight and he'll be damned if Jenkins becomes the first African American (as well as gay) man to win Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Friday at 7:26 PM

Sorry for all the typos.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Friday at 7:28 PM

Wow this looks good.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Friday at 7:36 PM

When does this shit come out? I don’t want to see it or Viola.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Friday at 7:55 PM

You know who does a spot on (and hilarious) impression of Billie? David Sedaris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32Last Friday at 7:59 PM

Where when does this drop?

by Anonymousreply 33Last Friday at 9:16 PM

R31 February 26 on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Friday at 9:18 PM

R32, that was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 35Last Saturday at 5:21 AM

The trailer looks good but it’s obvious Andra’s not a refined actress. But I expect she’ll be good enough

by Anonymousreply 36Last Saturday at 11:25 AM

R36 She will be Oscar worthy .

by Anonymousreply 37Last Saturday at 1:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!