Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Golden Girls" almost had a gay bestie. Here’s why he disappeared from the show.

A new report explains why Coco vanished from subsequent episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 3:53 AM

I’m glad they didn’t. The four were all that were needed. Perfect ensemble cast, much like All In The Family.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 1:35 AM

We KNOW, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 1:39 AM

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 2:15 AM

I even outlived Charles Levin! I WIN!

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 2:29 AM

It would have been hard to do those episodes when there were "broke" if they had a houseboy running around.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 2:33 AM

Because HE WASN'T FUNNY!

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 2:35 AM

I recently saw Levin in one of his early movies, "Rush It" (1978); he had a small role, but was pretty good. I highly recommend the movie, not because it's great, but because it features Tom Berenger in and out of a lot of tight 70s clothes, looking like a perfect combination of Paul Newman and JFK Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 2:42 AM

You slow bitches need to post some Coco clips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 2:54 AM

[quote]You slow bitches need to post some Coco clips.

How many can their be? Four?

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 3:04 AM

Charles Levin was much better in "Alice", anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 3:22 AM

Coco wouldn’t have worked and the show wouldn’t have became the huge success it did if he were kept.

Just being honest.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 3:26 AM

Coco sodomized me!

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 3:29 AM

It's amazing to see that clip at r8: neither White nor (especially) McClanahan has yet completely cinched their characters voice or mannerisms, but Bea Arthur absolutely has already nailed Dorothy Zbornak. And it's not the same voice or mannerisms she used as Maude Finley--she's not as commanding or as sure of herself as Maude, but slyer.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 3:34 AM

R13 because they literally created many of their characters characteristics themselves as they went along.

And Maude was very similar to Dorothy.

McClanahan made Blanche southern, she wasn’t supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2021 3:37 AM

I watched a few episodes on TVLand this past weekend. Even though I knew every line, I still laughed my butt off. The writing was sharp and bitingly funny, the acting was great, and the ladies had perfect comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2021 3:47 AM

It's funny because anytime I see old reruns of "Maude," it always feels like I'm watching an entirely different actress from the one who played Dorothy Zbornak on "Golden Girls." Bea changed a great deal physically in my opinion between those shows, even though technically there was less than 10 years between them (7 years to be specific). Two equally great performances, however, which will never change.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2021 3:47 AM

I watched Bea as Maude, on Golden Girls, and on that show she did called Amanda's By The Sea. Bea is a good actress, but those three characters were all basically the same character with subtle differences.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 3:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!