Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the best way to keep your whites white?

Mine are getting a grayish tinge. I don't like bleach because I think it breaks down clothing too fast. Vinegar?

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 7:56 PM

I add bluing to whites. You must be very careful with bluing, though. Dilute, dilute, dilute! as Dr. Bronner would write.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2021 12:26 AM

Don't intermarry?

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2021 12:30 AM

I use OxiClean White Revive (Powder or Liquid).

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2021 12:32 AM

Sorry, folks. Not intending to be racist -Just that it was such an easy, cheap shot.

R2

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2021 12:35 AM

Bleach. That is, in the long run, the only way to keep white fabrics whiter-than-white and also the best way to get out many stains. What are you bleaching that's breaking down so fast? Fabrics for daily use are expected to wear out, not last forever.

If you want your sheets, towels and napkins to last forever, either don't buy white or buy enough that you don't have to use them often. If you have beautiful heirloom white napkins and tablecloths, don't use them too often, wash as needed, and bleach rarely.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2021 12:49 AM

Keep them hermetically sealed in plastic and never use them.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2021 1:22 AM

My grandma does that with her living room furniture R6. It all looks just like the day it was delivered.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote]What's the best way to keep your whites white?

Separate drinking fountains.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2021 3:27 AM

The only reason they would be getting a "grayish tinge" is if you're washing them with colors. Are you separating your laundry properly?

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2021 3:31 AM

The only reason they would be getting a "grayish tinge" is if you're washing them with colors. Are you separating your laundry properly?

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2021 3:31 AM

Oxygen-based bleach doesn’t break down fabric like chlorine bleach.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2021 3:36 AM

R10 I've read that whites can take on a gray or yellow tinge over time, if there are certain minerals in your water (calcium, magnesium) that are interacting with the chemicals in the laundry detergent you're using. .. Similarly, whites can also take on a faint pink-orange tinge, if you use chlorine bleach, and there's a certain level of iron in your water. I learned that one the hard way TWICE... lol!

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2021 5:39 AM

I just learned you can use Oxiclean for pots/pans that have baked on gunk. So new use for a laundry product that gets the whites white better than chlorine bleach.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2021 5:44 AM

A cup full of jizz.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2021 5:47 AM

I would use the Oxiclean powder but I would dissolve it in hot water first and then add it to my washing machine. It worked wonders with my white shirts.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 5:57 AM

Try Borax.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 6:19 AM

In New Zealand we have a product called Napisan that does wonders for keeping things white. I’m sure it will exist under another name in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 7:42 AM

Vote Trump, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 6:42 PM

Rit, the company that makes fabric dye has a product that whitens whites. I've used it successfully a few times.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 7:27 PM

Oxygen bleach in the drum, a bit of chlorine bleach with the detergent in the dispenser. Baking soda to boost. Dry in bright sunshine outside. Whiter than a Trump rally.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 7:35 PM

Ancient Chinese secret!

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 7:38 PM

I do the following to brighten whites. I put in detergent, borax, oxi-clean (1 scoop) or Ecover or Seventh Generation all-fabric non-chlorine bleach (1/2 cup). Hot water, and the whites. I let them agitate for 5 minutes, then stop the washer and let them soak for several hours or overnight. Then I complete the wash and rinse cycle.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 7:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!