Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Wojnarowicz

I’ve been in love with Wojnarowicz’s work, specifically his writing, since my late teens (I’m in my late-thirties now). Reading [italic]Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration[/italic] - the first book of his I read after sneaking it off the shelf of the Gay & Lesbian section of the local Barnes & Noble - was a watershed moment for me.

Today, I got to hear his voice for the first time and I teared up. I needed to take a break from the insanity of the last three days, and hearing his voice, thoughts, and feelings has been a wonderful and cathartic way to do it. I let out all of my feelings.

Anyway, I just took a quick break from working out and listening to share an extended clip with you all. If you choose to listen, the first couple of seconds of the clip below are the sounds of a radio, maybe in Spanish, that he’s recording. He sporadically inserts recordings of random sounds into his taped journals, so don’t be alarmed.

What he speaks and writes about fills me with solace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2021 6:24 PM

Fascinating discussion (w/ footage of David being interviewed) between Sylvere Lotringer and Marion Scemama regarding an interview with David he conducted and she filmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2021 5:27 PM

Marion Scemama also directed the 2018 documentary [italic]Self-Portrait in 23 Rounds: a Chapter in David Wojnarowicz’s Life, 1989–1991[/italic]. (“Self-Portrait in 23 Rounds” is the title of the first chapter of [italic]Close to the Knives[/italic]).

I can’t find it for stream or purchase anywhere. 😞

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2021 5:30 PM

In case any of you are interested in reading it - I highly recommend it - the first 21 pages of [italic]Close to the Knives[/italic] are available as a preview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 5:33 PM

You bitches. No comment, no taste.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 6:33 AM

Out took a break from trans content to do an appreciation of him a few years ago. They found and interviewed his widower, who's still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 6:41 AM

Thanks for this thread and the few comments. Will check out the videos and article. I read Close to the Knives a year or two ago and I regularly quote ‘smell the roses’ to myself if I’m having a moment where I’m being pointlessly negative or down about something I really don’t need to be.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 6:55 AM

R6 Nice. What made you book up his book?

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 6:58 AM

OP, I'm hunting for something new to read. Sounds worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 7:02 AM

R5 Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t read it.

Tony Kushner is a big fan of David’s work and wrote the introduction to [italic]The Waterfront Journals[/italic], which is a brilliant collection writings; portraits-through-monologues, really, of the varied people he met on the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 7:03 AM

This interview, I believe, was conducted not long before his death. He discusses his feelings regarding testing positive for HIV/AIDS.

I was reminded of him recently - I own all of his writing and photography - because I was watching an interview with Fran Lebowitz after watching the Scorsese series, and she was talking at length about her friendship with photographer Peter Hujar, who was David’s great love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 7:09 AM

In the article below, there is a photograph David took of Peter after he died of complications with AIDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 7:14 AM

R6 What made you *pick up his book? He’s not what one would call a ‘popular writer.’

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 7:22 AM

Is there any man-to-man sex in all of this?

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 8:18 AM

R13 David wasn’t afraid of writing about sex, let’s just say that.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2021 8:21 AM

R7 and R12: I think I might have seen a post with him mentioned on the AIDS Memorial Instagram account. Or he might have been mentioned in another book I was reading at the time. Then I looked up his book and ordered it second hand on Amazon. Definitely glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2021 8:21 AM

Cool. R51 Check out @The Waterfront Journals” if you haven’t already.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2021 2:29 PM

Thanks R16: will do that

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 7:56 PM

R17 I posted a preview of it upthread. It’s a slim collection but in some ways just as powerful as his memoir. Each chapter is a monologue by someone someone he met on the road during his travels. It’s powerful, illuminating, and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2021 8:00 PM

Bumping for exposure.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 6:21 AM

No other fans? I was reading about the piers in the Halston thread and immediately thought of David’s recounting of his experiences there.

He wrote like a dream.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2021 4:41 AM

Not cute, no care.

Who's the latest 19-year-old straight guy on TikTok?

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2021 7:00 AM

Listening to him speak, I'm transported back to late 80s with the horror of AIDS ,yet a strange sense of community amongst gays.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2021 7:27 AM

Community?

Ew.

This fuggo would be laughed off Instagram in a week.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote]Not cute, no care.

Okay, Woo Li, R21.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2021 11:54 AM

R23 He is not ugly.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2021 11:55 AM

R23 I guess your comment speaks volumes about the vacuousness of those who live on or follow Instagram.

I'll pass, thanks.

Not even a rain check.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2021 5:38 PM

David’s writing should be required reading for all gay men.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2021 6:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!