Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Wojnarowicz

I’ve been in love with Wojnarowicz’s work, specifically his writing, since my late teens (I’m in my late-thirties now). Reading [italic]Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration[/italic] - the first book of his I read after sneaking it off the shelf of the Gay & Lesbian section of the local Barnes & Noble - was a watershed moment for me.

Today, I got to hear his voice for the first time and I teared up. I needed to take a break from the insanity of the last three days, and hearing his voice, thoughts, and feelings has been a wonderful and cathartic way to do it. I let out all of my feelings.

Anyway, I just took a quick break from working out and listening to share an extended clip with you all. If you choose to listen, the first couple of seconds of the clip below are the sounds of a radio, maybe in Spanish, that he’s recording. He sporadically inserts recordings of random sounds into his taped journals, so don’t be alarmed.

What he speaks and writes about fills me with solace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2021

Fascinating discussion (w/ footage of David being interviewed) between Sylvere Lotringer and Marion Scemama regarding an interview with David he conducted and she filmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101/09/2021

Marion Scemama also directed the 2018 documentary [italic]Self-Portrait in 23 Rounds: a Chapter in David Wojnarowicz’s Life, 1989–1991[/italic]. (“Self-Portrait in 23 Rounds” is the title of the first chapter of [italic]Close to the Knives[/italic]).

I can’t find it for stream or purchase anywhere. 😞

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201/09/2021

In case any of you are interested in reading it - I highly recommend it - the first 21 pages of [italic]Close to the Knives[/italic] are available as a preview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301/09/2021

You bitches. No comment, no taste.

by Anonymousreply 401/11/2021

Out took a break from trans content to do an appreciation of him a few years ago. They found and interviewed his widower, who's still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501/11/2021

Thanks for this thread and the few comments. Will check out the videos and article. I read Close to the Knives a year or two ago and I regularly quote ‘smell the roses’ to myself if I’m having a moment where I’m being pointlessly negative or down about something I really don’t need to be.

by Anonymousreply 601/11/2021

R6 Nice. What made you book up his book?

by Anonymousreply 701/11/2021

OP, I'm hunting for something new to read. Sounds worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 801/11/2021

R5 Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t read it.

Tony Kushner is a big fan of David’s work and wrote the introduction to [italic]The Waterfront Journals[/italic], which is a brilliant collection writings; portraits-through-monologues, really, of the varied people he met on the road.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 901/11/2021

This interview, I believe, was conducted not long before his death. He discusses his feelings regarding testing positive for HIV/AIDS.

I was reminded of him recently - I own all of his writing and photography - because I was watching an interview with Fran Lebowitz after watching the Scorsese series, and she was talking at length about her friendship with photographer Peter Hujar, who was David’s great love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1001/11/2021

In the article below, there is a photograph David took of Peter after he died of complications with AIDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1101/11/2021

R6 What made you *pick up his book? He’s not what one would call a ‘popular writer.’

by Anonymousreply 1201/11/2021

Is there any man-to-man sex in all of this?

by Anonymousreply 1301/11/2021

R13 David wasn’t afraid of writing about sex, let’s just say that.

by Anonymousreply 1401/11/2021

R7 and R12: I think I might have seen a post with him mentioned on the AIDS Memorial Instagram account. Or he might have been mentioned in another book I was reading at the time. Then I looked up his book and ordered it second hand on Amazon. Definitely glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2021

Cool. R51 Check out @The Waterfront Journals” if you haven’t already.

by Anonymousreply 1601/12/2021

Thanks R16: will do that

by Anonymousreply 1701/12/2021

R17 I posted a preview of it upthread. It’s a slim collection but in some ways just as powerful as his memoir. Each chapter is a monologue by someone someone he met on the road during his travels. It’s powerful, illuminating, and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 1801/12/2021

Bumping for exposure.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!