Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mr. Mom (1983)

I loved this old-fashioned screwball rom-com. Anyone else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 6:46 PM

It's not without its goofy charms. What's the message in the end, though? A woman's place is in the home? Men can *sort of * run a household? Best to not think too deep on this.

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2021 5:54 AM

I do too along with Multiplicity.

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2021 6:51 AM

Yes, I watched it many, many times as a kid. Haven’t seen it all the way through in age

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2021 6:53 AM

I recorded it on VHS so I could watch the male strip club scene over and over. Desperate times and all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2021 8:09 AM

I thought it was the typical "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" sort of premise where a guy has to take care of the household for once. Watching him struggle to adjust was the main entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2021 8:14 AM

The kids were great. 'May I...have a moment to myself, please?'

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2021 8:15 AM

What happened to those kids? They were genuinely gorgeous kids.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2021 2:59 PM

It holds up ok. I thought it was hilarious when it first came out and it was on cable like a hundred times. I saw it recently and the jokes and sets up are a little broad and the premise does feel like 500 years ago. It's cute but not great.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2021 3:16 PM

You gave a baby baked beans?!??

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2021 3:20 PM

What does ROM COM mean?

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2021 3:42 PM

No, I despise Michael Keaton. He's an awful actor. Tics tics tics!

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2021 4:02 PM

R10 Romantic comedy. I’m not sure I would put this movie in that category. More family comedy.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2021 4:08 PM

"South to drop off, MORON!"

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2021 4:12 PM

The red headed son is Freddie Koehler. He played 'Chip' on "Kate & Allie." He still acts.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2021 4:14 PM

"Irv we weren't even in aisle 7."

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2021 4:16 PM

Ann Jillian

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2021 5:00 PM

Patti Deutsch, ready for her close-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2021 5:19 PM

Those who love movies might like the #Bales2021FilmChallenge on Twitter. On January 8, National Bubble Bath Day, people tweeted jpegs from movies with bubble-bath scenes, e.g., Mr. Mom.

Pretty Woman and Nightmare on Elm Street had the most tweets by far, FWIW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2021 6:30 PM

i remember watching this movie on cable all the time in the 80's. i liked it when they were playing cards and using coupons as wagers

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2021 6:46 PM

I was trying to figure out if the stripper scene was homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2021 1:23 PM

Keaton’s great then, great now. His reputation as a “funny guy” leads people to underestimate his considerable dramatic chops.

Because of Mr. Mom, I can never hear Vangelis’ “Chariots Of Fire” theme without thinking of Keaton & Martin Mull in that ridiculous obstacle course race. Kills me every time.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2021 2:08 PM

That ^^ scene reminded me of Cary Grant in [italic] The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer [/italic].

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2021 4:26 PM

I would also like to say Ann Jillian.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2021 6:28 PM

One of my faves, ever.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2021 9:00 PM

I think I saw this one at the cinema when I was a kid. All I remember is the line, "It's a jungle out there!"

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2021 9:11 PM

It's nearly 40 years later, and Victor and Nikki are still doing the same scenes on The Young and the Restless. And of course he looks like a gargoyle and she looks like a house, but they're still doing them.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2022 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!