Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's discuss movies where everyone is a cunt. In other words, where there are no sympathetic characters

I just finished watching Falling Down with Mr "got cancer from eating cunt" Michael Douglas. What a horrid movie. Every character is a Jupiter-sized cunt. I bet LA really is that miserable, where everyone absolutely hates everyone else. Another one is Crash with Michael Pena, the worst actor ever, and Matt Dillon. Why are movies about LA always so awful?

Jabba seems to be infecting every thread these days, so I'm just gonna block it.

by Anonymousreply 224May 25, 2021 1:18 PM

You really do love the word “cunt,” don’t you, OP? I guess so, since it’s such an accurate description of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2021 8:06 AM

It’s been awhile since I last watched “Falling Down,” but I seem to recall Robert Duvall’s character as being fairly sympathetic; certainly not cunt-like.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2021 8:10 AM

Thirteen

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2021 8:12 AM

Any of those Brat Pack movies from the 80’s. Each and every one of them is an obnoxious shithead.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2021 8:15 AM

Seven comes to mind among more recent films -- except I think Morgan Freeman's character might be OK in that movie; I can't recall exactly.

Any classic film noir would probably meet your criteria, OP. That's why they're called noir.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2021 8:17 AM

Falling Down is a very good, affecting movie even though it features, maybe, only 2 sympathetic characters.

Most Luis Bunuel movies features unlikable monsters if I must add.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2021 8:18 AM

I Am Love. What an unlikeable group of characters - selfish, venal, greedy people. Plus grandpa the asshole was also a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2021 8:25 AM

Falling Down was like a Sirkian pot-boiler - meant to work on a few levels. See also: Starship Troopers, Total Recall. They are metaphorical actings-out. It wasn't fantastic, but it also wasn't meant to present authentic sympathetic characters.

I hated Seven and it was THE movie that instructed me I am not entertained by any serial killer themes. To me, life is too short.

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2021 8:26 AM

With the exception of the Scottish maid "Gosford Park" is a slog through a case study in personality disorders. So is "A Wedding". But a lot of Altman is like that.

I can't think of anyone (with the exception of the little boy) who comes out of it too well in "Barry Lyndon".

It would be hard to identify the hero of Visconti's "The Damned".

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" plays this trope for laughs. 90% of the humor lies in seeing a bunch of godawful human beings dropped headfirst in the shit at every single turn. Works doubly for me as there is not a single actor in the whole thing I don't fucking hate.

Everyone in "Creepshow" was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2021 8:26 AM

Mike Leigh's Naked

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2021 8:43 AM

The Sound of Music owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2021 8:47 AM

I know you asked for movies, but the TV series “Girls” featuring Lens Dunham is a perfect example. Every single main character is an irredeemable cunt from the pilot to the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2021 8:54 AM

Almost all the dreck that the overrated bitch Nora Ephron wrote, especially the ghastly romcoms for her blonde shiksa goddess Meggy Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2021 8:59 AM

As far as television is concerned, "Married With Children" fills this for the most part. Though despite his flaws, Al Bundy is at least somewhat sympathetic at points. So, all cunts...most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2021 8:59 AM

Do TV shows count? "Big Little Lies"

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2021 9:01 AM

Withnail and I

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

American Psycho

Fight Club

Gummo

Melancholia

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2021 9:06 AM

The Apprentice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2021 9:17 AM

I wanted to smack the shit out of everyone in Muriel's Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2021 9:28 AM

R9 the boy in Barry Lyndon would have grown up to be a spoiled privileged asshole. I thought Patrick Magee as de Balibari was sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2021 9:34 AM

Golden Girls - all of them. Maybe Stan is a sympathetic character.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2021 9:37 AM

Variations on cunthood in 'Glengarry Glen Ross', by definition, as the job is to scam. Jonathan Pryce has to be there as a basic example of non-cunthood, so nearly cunted.

Ditto 'Knives Out', where the carer by and large is there to offset deep wide ugly family cuntery.

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2021 9:37 AM

"The Social Network" is made up almost entirely of despicable characters but is still completely engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2021 9:41 AM

Any movie with Justin Timberlake and that Jesse guy increases its cuntitude by a factor of 11.

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2021 10:16 AM

500 Days of Summer.

Sentimental neb idolises boring prick tease.

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Um nope. None of the Golden Girl's were cunts. Bea was a cunt in real life, no doubt. But she was the star and the only really great thing about GG's. Sophia was her supporting actor. The other two were like extra nipples but they weren't cunts either. Just tired cliches. Ooooh! wouldn't the dumb one say that. Oooooh the slutty one has no shame. The slut and the bimbo were tiresome cliches even before GG's began.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2021 10:27 AM

And furthermore, Jabba. Golden Girls is not a fucking movie. Did I say TV shows in the title?

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2021 10:28 AM

Agree with Patrick Magee in Barry Lyndon being sympathetic (and Michael Hordern as the dispassionat off-screen narrator.)

And speaking of Kubrick films:

A Clockwork Orange

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2021 10:54 AM

The boys in the band.

That's why I hate that movie, no one is likeable. Sad pathetic, hateful gays.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2021 11:35 AM

I enjoyed Parasite but found all the characters pretty unsympathetic

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2021 11:46 AM

Sex and the City 1 & 2

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2021 11:52 AM

Funny Games. The original, not the unnecessary remake, though I respect the director. This is one of those movies where you know full well what you're getting in to before watching it, yet complain about it afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2021 12:13 PM

Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Nightmare Alley (1947)

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2021 12:20 PM

Anything Julia Roberts is in

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2021 12:33 PM

If we *are* including TV shows, then "Succession" OWNS this thread. Every single character is a horrible person in some way.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2021 12:44 PM

R3 I don't think Holly Hunter was. I love the scene where she just loses her shit and starts ripping up the kitchen floor.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2021 1:02 PM

La pianiste

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2021 1:12 PM

The Big Chill

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2021 1:20 PM

The Grifters (which as noted above is a noir film).

by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2021 1:22 PM

Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars

by Anonymousreply 39January 6, 2021 1:25 PM

The Family Stone

The Usual Suspects

Logan Lucky

by Anonymousreply 40January 6, 2021 1:26 PM

Showgirls

by Anonymousreply 41January 6, 2021 1:28 PM

Sideways. I hated every single person in that film.

The Grifters. Gross, slimy, horrible characters - all of 'em.

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2021 1:29 PM

Closer -

Awful film with some big names: Natalie Portman (miscast as an ex-stripper turned indie cool girl artist model), Julia Roberts (always miscast), Jude Law (the tug of war love interest that breaks up Julia's marriage), and Clive Owen as some architect type who falls for Roberts and gets embroiled in the 4-way bs plot that this movie trots out.

by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2021 4:12 PM

Oh, r43, I was just going to say that!

by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2021 4:18 PM

[quote] I bet LA really is that miserable, where everyone absolutely hates everyone else. Another one is Crash

Oh, dear. Now I know who these awful fucking movies about LA were really geared towards -- people who hate the city yet have no clue what it's actually like.

by Anonymousreply 45January 6, 2021 4:28 PM

R45 Nihilistic misanthropes write these kinds of horrible movies. Doesn't mean it reflects reality. But only native Angelenos would know.

by Anonymousreply 46January 6, 2021 4:32 PM

Lolita

by Anonymousreply 47January 6, 2021 4:37 PM

Not one single good person in this film. Even Ellen Burstyn. You wonder why they all just don't kill themselves and get it over with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 6, 2021 4:39 PM

Your Friends and Neighbors

by Anonymousreply 49January 6, 2021 4:44 PM

Happiness

by Anonymousreply 50January 6, 2021 4:46 PM

Another LA movie Robert Altman's Short Cuts featured mostly unsympathetic characters save for a few. And Basic Instinct is another.

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2021 4:47 PM

The Story of Us Especially when fug Bruce Willis is dancing around trying to look cool

by Anonymousreply 52January 6, 2021 4:52 PM

Speaking of Willis - I hated every asshole in Pulp Fiction, yet it worked in some odd way because you knew ahead of time that an asshole movie about assholes would be like that.

by Anonymousreply 53January 6, 2021 4:55 PM

I hated everybody in Requiem for a Dream.

by Anonymousreply 54January 6, 2021 4:57 PM

The Donald Trump Story

by Anonymousreply 55January 6, 2021 4:59 PM

Bombshell

by Anonymousreply 56January 6, 2021 5:08 PM

Mr. Trump Goes to Washington

by Anonymousreply 57January 6, 2021 5:11 PM

Pretty much any Todd Solondz movie. Those aren't for everyone.

Young Adult with Charlize Theron is another good one. Her character is ridiculously despicable and it's both fun and heartbreaking to watch her self-destruct throughout the movie. She's that cunty cheerleader from high school who never grew up and she goes back to her hometown and everyone's just sort of braindead and boring. Patton Oswalt is the only one who seems like a decent person in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 58January 6, 2021 5:21 PM

To Die For with Nicole Kidman. Everyone's either using people to get what they want or are so pathetic and weak that they're totally fine with being used.

The musical Chicago is another one where everyone is a bit of a monster. As well received as it was at the time, I remember a lot of people saying they couldn't get into it because every character was a piece of shit.

These are both darkly comic satires and those films tend to be populated by only assholes. Maybe that's why they rarely light the box office on fire.

by Anonymousreply 59January 6, 2021 5:23 PM

Swimming Pool with La Rampling, all those characters were different quantities annoying. Sarah was giving me creepy old lady vibes and couldn’t dance for shit!

by Anonymousreply 60January 6, 2021 5:28 PM

I like "Falling Down" and I actually find the lead character sympathetic, he plays an "everyman" whose world is falling apart and he has a breakdown under pressure/ stress and basically goes postal. He may not be a good person as such but he wasnt a bad one until everything went wrong all at once

R9

[quote]It would be hard to identify the hero of Visconti's "The Damned".

Absolutely this. I saw this film when I was 8-9 or so on late night TV one night when I couldnt sleep. The local TV channel ran it unedited too. Fuck what a ride that was.

by Anonymousreply 61January 6, 2021 5:35 PM

Traffic. Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Steve Bauer, Don Cheadle, Dennis Quaid, Benicio de l Torro, Miguel Ferrer, Topher Grace, Amy Irving, James Brolin, and Albert Finney were all selfish cunts in that movie. Albeit, very well acted.

by Anonymousreply 62January 6, 2021 5:37 PM

I have to say I’m often able to sympathise with unsympathetic characters. It only occurs to me after that they were unsympathetic because of other people’s reactions. I loved The Damned and found the Rampling character there to be sympathetic as well as any of them who ended up dying and the gay men shot to death.

by Anonymousreply 63January 6, 2021 5:42 PM

Red Sparrow. The Maltese Falcon.

by Anonymousreply 64January 6, 2021 5:43 PM

^ R62- Forgot sexy, beautiful, sexy, and very talented Benjamin Bratt. Did I mention sexy

by Anonymousreply 65January 6, 2021 5:43 PM

People With Money

by Anonymousreply 66January 6, 2021 7:03 PM

Sorry, "Friends With Money"

by Anonymousreply 67January 6, 2021 7:03 PM

The Last Seduction.

Bridget is obviously a sociopathic uber bitch and the "villain", but her lawyer is an awful seedy enabler, her husband is a drug dealer, an abuser, and generally shitty; even Peter Berg's "Mike" - while having something of a conscience for most of the movie - still unravels and is willing to kill and steal just to prevent people from knowing he slept with a tranny. No one's sorry when he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 68January 6, 2021 9:16 PM

Any Rob Zombie movie

by Anonymousreply 69January 6, 2021 9:47 PM

Just watched that last night, R67.

The “gay” husband was a good guy, the only one with mostly redeeming qualities that the rest were to cunty to appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 70January 6, 2021 10:02 PM

Goodfellas

by Anonymousreply 71January 6, 2021 10:06 PM

Velvet Buzzsaw

by Anonymousreply 72January 6, 2021 10:17 PM

The Talented Mr Ripley.

Two of the minor characters, Marge and Peter, were decent people, but all the others were villains.

by Anonymousreply 73January 6, 2021 10:18 PM

Marge is a fairly major character, no?

Freddie or Meredith would be minor.

I guess everyone is second fiddle to Tom.

by Anonymousreply 74January 6, 2021 10:58 PM

Ingrid IS Karla Zarkanasian!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 6, 2021 11:07 PM

Every character in Wild Things was an awful person ... but I still adore this trashy, hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 76January 6, 2021 11:54 PM

Agreed about Friends With Money. An obvious play on Aniston's TV show. It had a few funny scenes like where they show Aniston using one of her client's vibrators. Then the scene where the horridly ugly non-actor Scott Caan fucks her and won't look at her. Typical American fraulein movie. Oooooh, Frances McDormand has a nervous breakdown over some Karen pushing her way into the line. Pure genius. Purely original.

by Anonymousreply 77January 6, 2021 11:57 PM

Every single Fassbinder movie.

by Anonymousreply 78January 7, 2021 12:00 AM

If we're including tv shows, I nominate Ozark. Out of a very large cast, the only character with a shred of decency was the black FBI agent, and his role was quite minor.

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2021 12:04 AM

Totally agree, R76. Fun movie.

It really shouldn't work with the seemingly 20 double crosses - but it does. Robert Wagner as the attorney is just icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2021 12:05 AM

Wild Things is a good one. It has a satirical edge to it that I like and isn't taking itself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2021 12:20 AM

Some people either can't read or comprehend what they read.

R8 Morgan Freeman was a cunt in Se7en? Brad Pitt, and Gwyneth Paltrow's characters were not meant to be sympathetic?

R31 how were the parents and kid who get unexpectedly held hostage and tortured at their vacation home not sympathetic? Weirdo.

R54 you may personally dislike the characters, but they were all clearly written to be sympathetic. And how was Ellen Burstyn a cunt or despicable in that movie? Sad and crazy yes, but not a cunt.

ACTUAL good examples are The Social Network and Lolita.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2021 12:32 AM

I found Andrew Garfield very sympathetic in The Social Network.

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2021 12:34 AM

Fraus think all movies must have likable, relatable protagonists and have happy endings.

by Anonymousreply 84January 7, 2021 2:57 AM

Return to Sleepaway Camp

by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2021 3:37 AM

Jabba seems to have had a million morons infect DL. Y'all are stupid as fuck. "Movies" refers to theatrical releases generally. The definition does NOT include series made exclusively for TV.

Anyway, generally Spielberg's "movies", NOT referring to TV series, are populated with nothing but cunts. I have never liked his movies because they are usually the same movie made over and over again. The worst "movie" I have seen of his, in a "theatrical release", would have to be War of the Worlds. Every character was the biggest cunt EVER. Tom Cruise's clueless, single digit IQed, pathologically narcissistic asshole is clearly who Spielberg is and is also the spirit animal for all the clueless, Jabba-like morons who are DLers of today.

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2021 3:50 AM

Murder By Death

Ok, maybe Willie Wang is sympathetic.

Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2021 4:02 AM

[Quote] Patton Oswalt is the only one who seems like a decent person in the movie.

Patrick Wilson and his wife seemed pretty decent to me.

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2021 4:29 AM

Love Actually.

by Anonymousreply 89January 7, 2021 5:16 AM

Vanilla Sky

by Anonymousreply 90January 7, 2021 6:11 AM

Titanic

by Anonymousreply 91January 7, 2021 6:15 AM

Re Lolita - Nabokov said he set out to write a book where all of the characters were repellent.

by Anonymousreply 92January 7, 2021 6:21 AM

Election.

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2021 6:21 AM

[quote] Let's discuss movies where everyone is a cunt. In other words, where there are no sympathetic characters

Basically the Sundance Film Festival.

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2021 6:35 AM

Welcome to the Dollhouse.

Anything with Reese Pointychin

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2021 9:51 AM

The Family Stone

by Anonymousreply 96January 7, 2021 9:56 AM

R96 Fuck yeah! One of the worst movies ever. Not one good character in it. Who the fuck makes this crap anyway?

by Anonymousreply 97January 7, 2021 10:05 AM

R91 Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. There were only three cunts in that film. Rose's mother. Rose's horrible husband to be Cal. And Cal's assistant who tried to kill Rose n Jack.

by Anonymousreply 98January 7, 2021 10:07 AM

r82 - I don't care if Pitt's and Paltrow's characters in Seven were MEANT to be sympathetic, bottom line is, they absolutely weren't sympathetic. Pathetic, maybe.

I did mention that I couldn't remember mcuh about Freeman's character, so yeah, I guess the movie as a whole may not meet OP's criterion.

by Anonymousreply 99January 7, 2021 11:13 AM

Speaking of Knives Out, how about Brick. Or The Brick. Or that wan high school neo-noir from Rian Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 100January 7, 2021 12:11 PM

Female Trouble

by Anonymousreply 101January 7, 2021 12:29 PM

Closer. Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Clive Owen were all gorgeous in it, but what a bunch of unpleasant assholes.

by Anonymousreply 102January 7, 2021 2:07 PM

Sex and The City 2. And this includes Liza.

by Anonymousreply 103January 7, 2021 3:06 PM

I just watched one of the worst remakes of the tacky 90s. Point of No Return. Arguably so, everyone is a cunt. Bridget Fonda's worst role ever. Her stupid nose as always is distracting. She has the same terrible nose job as Nicole Kidman with that weird knob at the end. Why do these cunts even bother with these horrible nose jobs! I always hated Dermot Mulroney. So annoying, poor actor, and in this movie he sports a revolting unibrow. Gabriel Byrne sleepwalked his way through this horrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 104January 9, 2021 1:20 PM

Blair Bitch Project

by Anonymousreply 105January 9, 2021 1:45 PM

Titus (1999)

by Anonymousreply 106January 20, 2021 4:11 AM

Titus (1999)

by Anonymousreply 107January 20, 2021 4:11 AM

Titus (1999)

by Anonymousreply 108January 20, 2021 4:12 AM

Didn't one review of August Osage County say it was like watching each character trying to yell their line louder than the last person?

by Anonymousreply 109January 20, 2021 4:14 AM

RENT- Christ, that IS the suckjob, huh?

The Leech Woman- a minor 1960 Universal-International horror film that would be a far more well known classic, but there's no hero, every character is a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 110January 20, 2021 4:15 AM

The Sound of Music. Cunts. Every last one of them.

by Anonymousreply 111January 20, 2021 4:17 AM

Cheap Thrills

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 20, 2021 4:23 AM

Tammy's War of the Worlds was the worst movie of all time. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2021 6:26 AM

W.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote] Didn't one review of August Osage County say it was like watching each character trying to yell their line louder than the last person?

[bold] THEN I MUST HAVE WON!!! [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2021 6:32 AM

Dreamgirls. Every single character was a crook or a backstabbing bitch or a hysterical drama queen. I wanted the show to include a sub-plot about Russia bombing Detroit and wiping out all those cunts. That screaming banshee, Effie, needs to go first.

by Anonymousreply 116January 27, 2021 6:36 AM

I could never call her that word myself, but having just seen Hillbilly Elegy, I believe G would call herself one if she caught a glimpse of herself, in character, in a mirror. Poor dear to have missed her “Prom!”

by Anonymousreply 117January 27, 2021 7:39 AM

[quote]Sorry, "Friends With Money"

Yes. Bingo!!

Most of Nicole Holofcener's characters are cunts, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw OP's title.

Same with Walking & Talking and Lovely & Amazing. Nearly everyone is a nasty cunt.

Here's looking at you Nicole, gurl.

But I still enjoy (most of) your films....so don't let this stop you.

by Anonymousreply 118January 27, 2021 7:54 AM

R96 and R97 the gay couple is cute

by Anonymousreply 119January 27, 2021 8:49 AM

R119 No, they weren't. They were a cardboard cut out of political correctness. Nobody had any real world life in that shit show.

by Anonymousreply 120January 29, 2021 4:58 AM

The Story of O

by Anonymousreply 121January 29, 2021 5:09 AM

Young Adam -- Ewan McG and Tilda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 29, 2021 5:13 AM

Just about every French film ever. Nobody hates the French like the French.

by Anonymousreply 123January 29, 2021 5:13 AM

The Postman Always Rings Twice -- everyone was despicable but I fell in love with John Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2021 5:14 AM

The Boys in the Band.

Veered between yawn and nails on a blackboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2021 5:14 AM

Ozark

I had no sympathy for any character

by Anonymousreply 126January 29, 2021 5:19 AM

Hostel. The only two characters who aren't cunts are the gay friend pressured into having sex with a chick so the main character wouldn't have a gay friend and possibly that Japanese chick that kills herself. The main guy should be kicked in the teeth repeatedly. He's a complete "bro" asshole.

by Anonymousreply 127January 29, 2021 5:21 AM

Requiem for a Dream -- I can't remember a sympathetic character although they were all pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 128January 29, 2021 5:22 AM

Fallen Angel - DeNiro and Mickey Rourke

Body Heat

by Anonymousreply 129January 29, 2021 5:25 AM

Rules Of Attraction

by Anonymousreply 130January 29, 2021 5:35 AM

Rachel Getting Married. I wanted that whole family to die.

by Anonymousreply 131January 29, 2021 6:32 AM

Nancy Meyers flicks with white chicks who think it's cute to scream hysterically all the time. Like the cunt Diane Keaton's tired old shtick.

by Anonymousreply 132January 29, 2021 6:52 AM

The danish movie Festen seemed to have its fair share of c**ts. Anyone who enjoys Succession would probably love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 133January 29, 2021 10:50 AM

I think the reason Goodfellas (and The Departed and Taxi Driver and on and on) work is because Scorsese makes fun of a lot of these pieces of shit, sees them as more pathetic and ludicrous than dangerous.

When you get a film like Glengarry Glen Ross where everyone is just loathsome and there's no real humor beyond some dark "coffee is for closers" bitchery, it can become a slog, especially when you're living in times where everyone is just a real asshole in everyday life already.

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2021 11:05 AM

Just saw Deathtrap (1982) with Chris Reeve (so hot in this), Michael Caine, and Dyan Cannon. Every character was an asshole, annoying, or a psycho. Great flick. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 135January 30, 2021 8:17 AM

Newsmax

by Anonymousreply 136February 1, 2021 2:18 PM

On TV - Arrested Development - but that's the point

Films not yet mentioned - Mixed Nuts, The Ref, Drop Dead Gorgeous,

by Anonymousreply 137February 1, 2021 2:38 PM

Lots of badly educated people on this thread. Smh.

by Anonymousreply 138February 1, 2021 6:44 PM

Only God Forgives starring Ryan Gosling.

The characters were all reprehensible.

And did I spell that word correctly? Too lazy to check.

by Anonymousreply 139February 1, 2021 7:09 PM

R139 Right about that one. Gosling only has one or two really good movies. All the rest were crap like Only God Forgives. I bought that movie then never even watched it. I gave it away.

by Anonymousreply 140February 1, 2021 10:55 PM

Blue Jasmine.

by Anonymousreply 141February 1, 2021 11:07 PM

“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf”

Are we supposed to pity George and Martha? Or fear we might become like them?

Nick is a snake trapped into marriage by the idiot Honey.

What an awful quartet.

by Anonymousreply 142February 1, 2021 11:20 PM

The Notebook

by Anonymousreply 143February 1, 2021 11:45 PM

R142 That movie was totally over-rated. Yes, Liz and Burt's acting was good but the movie celebrated mental illness by gas lighting the young couple that their son was real. Closer was almost an identical remake of ....Woolf. Closer celebrated 4 unsympathetic assholes who are all incapable of being good people. I don't know what the point of Alice (Portman) returning to NYC and being eyeballed by a bunch of ugly old dudes. Is it a celebration of patriarchy? The young hot thing trying to lure old white dudes into marriage or just her pants?

by Anonymousreply 144February 1, 2021 11:49 PM

R73 The two minor characters (Marge for sure, and maybe even Peter) were not written by Patricia Highsmith, and were added by Anthony Minghella. I love the movie btw.

I'm not sure if Peter was in the novel. Maybe not as obviously gay and happily out.

Has anyone here read the book?

by Anonymousreply 145February 1, 2021 11:58 PM

We need to talk about Kevin:Psychopathic son. Cold refrigerator mother. Delusional idiot father.

by Anonymousreply 146February 2, 2021 12:05 AM

R146 The sister is okay. She's just a victim in all this.

by Anonymousreply 147February 2, 2021 12:06 AM

This thread had potential, but seems to have turned into “movies I don’t like.” Anyway, it is possible to make a great movie in which no one is a nice guy. Someone upthread mentioned The Maltese Falcon, which is a perfect example. Everyone is in it for himself, especially Humphrey Bogart’s Sam Spade, who is genuinely a bad guy, and completely mesmerizing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 148February 2, 2021 12:09 AM

WHO'S MARY ASTOR?

by Anonymousreply 149February 2, 2021 12:16 AM

Both versions of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. I wanted Poirot to tell the passengers that the real killer was apprehended elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 150February 2, 2021 12:19 AM

R147 Yes, you're right. I suppose I meant the characters that the film focused the most heavily on.

As an aside, I never could quite understand why a family with a decent amount of resources never sent him to every psychiatrist in the tristate area.

by Anonymousreply 151February 2, 2021 12:20 AM

No, not everyone in [italic]the Maltese Falcon[/italic] is in it for him/herself, e.g., Effie, the detectives, and the D.A. (an assistant D.A. and a stenographer).

Someone upthread mentioned Scorsese seeing his criminal characters as flawed, even funny. I think that's what makes the subject matter tolerable, that and the technical wizardry and great music.

The characters in some of the movies mentioned here were sometimes so unpleasant that I couldn't finish watching the movie, e.g., [italic]Sideways, the Family Stone, Withnail & I[/italic]. Meanwhile, I liked [italic]the Usual Suspects[/italic] and finished with some appreciation if not pleasure [italic]Naked [/italic] and [italic]Glengarry Glen Ross[/italic]. Maybe the movies I couldn't finish were supposed to be comedies and the characters were so nasty I just never started laughing. Not sure.

[italic]Mesrine[/italic] stars Vincent Cassel, so I gave it a try. Maybe 20 minutes in I gave up; I hated every character on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 152February 2, 2021 8:34 PM

What about The Lobster? If they weren’t a cunt, they were idiotic and/or helpless. Which is what I consider about as useful as a cunt in the first place...

by Anonymousreply 153February 3, 2021 4:36 AM

R153 You are all the things you mentioned, twat.

by Anonymousreply 154February 3, 2021 4:39 AM

One movie where I hated everyone (arguably they were all cunts) was Never Been Kissed with Drew Barrymore. She played the part like a total retard and David Arquette, who looked 50, was supposed to be with her in highschool! Puke.

by Anonymousreply 155February 3, 2021 9:43 AM

R155, Octavia Spencer's character wasn't a cunt in that movie even though she was saddled with the stereotypically sassy, fat, sympathetic Black friend character. I seem to recall her character only eating, clucking "Ooh gurl, that's too bad" in sympathy or yelling "You go, gurlfren" in encouragement.

I am glad Spencer eventually won the Academy Award and didn't have to be reduced to playing this awful, lazy stereotype in every damn movie.

by Anonymousreply 156February 3, 2021 12:23 PM

Agreed. I love Octavia. She truly deserved her Academy award. It was awesome seeing her and Janney together in Mom. Barrymore has always been kind of annoying.

by Anonymousreply 157February 3, 2021 1:00 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned the Nolan written garbage that was Man of Steel. Not only did I hate every character but everyone involved was a galaxy-sized cunt. I have never liked Cavill, he's pretty, big deal, he has no charisma or acting ability. The producers of Man of Steel thought his prettiness was enough. Fuck that, I have been boycotting Hollywood ever since that movie. For me, the worst movie ever made.

by Anonymousreply 158February 6, 2021 11:27 AM

Body Heat and The Postman Always Rings Twice

by Anonymousreply 159February 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Any Noah Baumbach movie

by Anonymousreply 160February 6, 2021 11:59 AM

The Family Stone

by Anonymousreply 161February 6, 2021 12:02 PM

Free Willy

by Anonymousreply 162February 6, 2021 12:52 PM

R158 Nolan didn't write Man Of Steel.

by Anonymousreply 163February 6, 2021 2:36 PM

It's a tv show and not a movie but Narcos - Mexico fits the bill. All of the characters are thoroughly unlikeable. I didn't feel that way about the first series of Narcos.

by Anonymousreply 164February 6, 2021 2:39 PM

Man of Steel. Story by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, google shit, ya moron.

by Anonymousreply 165February 7, 2021 1:00 AM

Blood Simple. Every character was scum.

by Anonymousreply 166February 7, 2021 1:06 AM

I just watched Final Destination 2. Truly one of the worst movies ever made. Final Destination 1 was horrible too, but FD2 had the worst script ever. Not one of the characters was a bit real and all were horribly acted. Every minute of the movie was awful. Michael Landes made my pussy ache, though.

by Anonymousreply 167February 8, 2021 4:59 AM

R165 it was written by Goyer, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 168February 8, 2021 9:59 AM

R168 Whatever, Janbot and her demented lies.

by Anonymousreply 169February 8, 2021 10:24 AM

Another vote for The Family Stone here. A bunch of unlikeable pricks.

by Anonymousreply 170February 8, 2021 10:28 AM

The Player

by Anonymousreply 171February 8, 2021 1:48 PM

[Quote] Whatever, Janbot and her demented lies.

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 172February 9, 2021 9:28 AM

Eyes Wide Shut. I hated every single character. Terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 173February 9, 2021 10:20 AM

Boys in the Band.

I can't stand that movie, the old one or the new one. I would want NONE of those charters in my real life. They all need major therapy.

by Anonymousreply 174February 9, 2021 10:52 AM

The Wolf of Wallstreet. It had its moments, but overall, I just didn't care for it as there was not one single character that I could 'root' for or identify with. Those guys weren't really 'evil' either, not bad enough for me to cheer at their downfall. There were just garden variety assholes.

by Anonymousreply 175February 9, 2021 11:00 AM

Though it isn’t a movie, I must nominate the 00s series GOSSIP GIRL. Nary a good egg in the entire show.

Except Serena’a gay brother. And maybe Dan’s hot dad; as far as I remember he didn’t do anything too heinous, but it’s been a long time since I watched..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 9, 2021 12:18 PM

This little jewel of an Independent Film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177February 9, 2021 12:31 PM

R177 O, please. That shit was so fake. I don't believe it for a second.

by Anonymousreply 178February 9, 2021 3:05 PM

Girl Gone. Watched it the other day...shitty characters.

by Anonymousreply 179February 9, 2021 4:41 PM

Party Monster lived up to it's name.

by Anonymousreply 180February 9, 2021 4:51 PM

Somebody may've mentioned the Final Destination series. Truly some of the worst acting/writing ever. I just finished watching part 5. No doubt the absolute worst of the series.

by Anonymousreply 181March 14, 2021 11:14 PM

I'd say RENT is such a movie.

All of the characters are highly unlikable, and lazy.

Get a fucking job, all of you!

by Anonymousreply 182March 14, 2021 11:18 PM

I absolutely loathed Falling Down. Walked out on it after an hour. Joel Schumacher couldn’t direct traffic.

by Anonymousreply 183March 14, 2021 11:22 PM

Transparent. I enjoyed it, but boy would I not hang out with any of those assholes.

by Anonymousreply 184March 14, 2021 11:36 PM

St Elmo's Fire. So many people to hate in one movie.

by Anonymousreply 185March 15, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote]Just about every French film ever. Nobody hates the French like the French.

See: Betty Blue

Mon DIEU how I despised every hateful character in this film!

by Anonymousreply 186March 15, 2021 1:15 AM

War of The Roses-at least the two main characters are equally awful. The kids and the maid are OK but the movie is all about the main couple destroying each other over property. I think the fact that they are so petty and venal and the movie doesn't sugarcoat it (that ending!!!) is what makes it such a great movie. I don't think a studio would make that movie now.

The Favourite - maybe Queen Anne is marginally sympathetic (it becomes obvious why she behaves she does and you can't blame her) but there is no one in that movie you would want to be around for any amount of time. Also helps make it a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 187March 15, 2021 3:19 AM

Showgirls. The sole exception is Molly, the innocent girl who gets raped. Everyone else is trash

by Anonymousreply 188March 15, 2021 3:23 AM

Couldn’t last more than 30 minutes with Silver Linings Playbook. Wowza what a bunch of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 189March 16, 2021 6:08 AM

Year of the Dog was playing on TV. So I think to myself: it's Molly Shannon, dogs, dating, should be a harmless enough comedy. Terrible, terrible movie.

Plot: Neighbor kills her dog. Then - I think another dog of hers kills her date's dog, so he sends it to be euthanized. Then the very same day that dog 2 gets euthanized for the mauling, she adopts about 15 more dogs from the shelter - the same one who euthanized her dog for a mauling, n-nice adoption controls I guess... Then I think possibly she finds out she actually killed her first dog herself and not her neighbor because she carelessly left poison laying out in the garage. Then SPCA takes all of her hoarded dogs away, then she decides to commit suicide. Or not. Based on the letter she left to all her loved ones I thought she was going to off herself, but instead she goes on a road trip to 'help more animals'. Yikes! The end.

It's the most depressing 'comedy' I think I've ever seen. I google the writer because it's pretty clear to me they must hate vegans and animal rights activists but the writer, Mike White, not only is responsible for things that are generally good and inoffensive (like School of Rock, Stepford Wives, Dawson's Creek), he's apparently a vegan and animal rights activist himself. The way he portrayed animals as just things you dump and replace on whims without a thought was pretty shocking. Don't think I can stomach watching anything else by this writer/director.

by Anonymousreply 190April 12, 2021 4:43 AM

Puberty Blues

by Anonymousreply 191April 12, 2021 4:54 AM

r146 that was a good movie but one I won't watch again.

by Anonymousreply 192April 12, 2021 5:15 AM

I suppose Heathers counts.

And, in a way (although most of them are less repellant than simply neurotic to a point which surpasseth human understanding), What's Up Doc?

by Anonymousreply 193April 12, 2021 5:29 AM

The Passion of the Christ

by Anonymousreply 194April 12, 2021 5:49 AM

Not a movie, but The Sopranos owns a good piece of this thread, and is worth mentioning. Written for and acted by a bunch of selfish, miserable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 195April 12, 2021 6:20 AM

Hurly Burly.

by Anonymousreply 196April 12, 2021 6:27 AM

Any of the Saw movies.

by Anonymousreply 197April 12, 2021 6:48 AM

American Beauty. The hype made it that much worse. Hated all the characters so much. Can't believe it still has a 80% + rating from people. Must be nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 198April 12, 2021 7:58 AM

R198 was that the movie where they had the plastic bag floating around and it was supposed to mean something. Jesus whoever wrote that scene should have their brains smashed danced on by 50 trillion elephants.

by Anonymousreply 199April 12, 2021 8:09 AM

Yep. I was right. I think it'd have had more meaning if it was an unused tampon floating around in the wind then it lands smack dab into Ellen Degenerate's clean-shaven porcelain-colored snatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 12, 2021 8:11 AM

I liked The Family Stone, believably and sympathetically played cunt-lites.

And Craig T Nelson wasn't a cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 12, 2021 9:37 AM

R201 Wrong. Everyone was a cunt and horribly written stereotype. Not one sympathetic character. A huge black eye for everyone involved with that garbage.

by Anonymousreply 202April 12, 2021 12:06 PM

Do you have to like the characters to enjoy the movie? The point of American beauty was that everyone was a cunt. I enjoyed watching their cuntiness

by Anonymousreply 203April 12, 2021 7:21 PM

Of course you do. LOL. Cunts only see the world through the lens of a huge cunt.

by Anonymousreply 204April 13, 2021 11:17 AM

This is Patricia Heaton’s Thermonuclear Cunting Thread.

by Anonymousreply 205April 13, 2021 11:34 AM

American Beauty

by Anonymousreply 206April 14, 2021 2:35 AM

R203 I'll admit it makes me a lightweight commoner, but I see movies to escape, so I'm not going to pay good money to suffer through 2-1/2 hours of miserable insufferable cunts when I can get just do that in real life and put pennies in my wallet for the privilege.

by Anonymousreply 207April 15, 2021 2:49 AM

Gone Girl. Neither the book or the movie had any sympathetic characters.

by Anonymousreply 208April 15, 2021 2:56 AM

Postcards from the Edge

by Anonymousreply 209April 15, 2021 3:16 AM

Mr. Wrong. Not a good sign where Bill Pullman plays a creep and he's better than Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 210April 15, 2021 3:17 AM

I just watched the movie Derailed with Jen Aniston. I gave it minus 1 billion. Everyone is horrible. Even Giancarlo Esposito in a throw away role brought nothing to the movie. The portrayal of black men was absolutely horrendous. All barely literate.

by Anonymousreply 211May 22, 2021 5:30 PM

Pulp Fiction

by Anonymousreply 212May 22, 2021 5:34 PM

Lady in a Cage (1964)

Carnal Knowledge (1971)

by Anonymousreply 213May 22, 2021 5:37 PM

To Live and Die in L.A. - another angry Los Angeles movie full of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 214May 22, 2021 5:39 PM

I've never even heard of that movie but I love Friedkin and William Petersen was the sexiest man when he was young. His huge legs. Mmmmmmmmmm. Total lady boner.

by Anonymousreply 215May 23, 2021 9:44 AM

[quote] Total lady boner.

I totally resent the appropriation in this phrase.

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 216May 23, 2021 3:54 PM

I, Tonya!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 217May 23, 2021 4:19 PM

Last Exit to Brooklyn and Requiem for a Dream, both based on Hubert Selby novels which never have sympathetic characters.

by Anonymousreply 218May 23, 2021 5:26 PM

The Departed. Martin Sheen is the only decent character. But damn, it's good

by Anonymousreply 219May 25, 2021 1:49 AM

Hostel. Everyone except the gay best friend that the asshole lead character tries to ex-gay.

by Anonymousreply 220May 25, 2021 6:38 AM

R219 No one was a huge cunt in The Departed. What are you on? Everyone played their parts well and cool to see Leo get killed.

by Anonymousreply 221May 25, 2021 7:55 AM

Walk on the Wild Side

Jo (Barbara Stanwyck) is a mean bitch-slapping brothel owner

Halle (Capucine) is a whiny little bitch whore

Dove (Laurece Harvey) is dumb ass texan

Kitty (Jane Fonda) is an insipid whore

Conchita, Rosa, Juanita, whatever her name is (Anne Baxter) is a poorly cast Mexican cafe owner so fuck her.

Jo's husband has no legs, he scoots around on a skateboard and he's an asshole.

Still I love this bizarre film.

by Anonymousreply 222May 25, 2021 7:55 AM

Fleabag

by Anonymousreply 223May 25, 2021 8:03 AM

Fox and Friends

by Anonymousreply 224May 25, 2021 1:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!